Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So, why are Jewish holy sites in weird spots? I get Sinai, Jersualem, Damascus, the others ???

According to the wiki, Hamadan was the home of Cyrus the Great (who freed the Jews from Babylon) and Dhofar was a kingdom of an ancient Jewish kingdom. Hamadan also contains the tomb of Esther and Mordecai which is still a pilgramage site for modern Iranian Jews (who apparentley still exist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Volkerball posted:

The tutorial is actually pretty good. There's a guy on youtube named Arumba who did the definitive tutorial a couple years ago, but it's a bit dated. Still likely a lot of good information there, but the interface will be a little different. And yeah, Ireland is newbie island at 1066 if I remember right and it's not tribal.

I'd also recommend Tuscany or Bohemia (both 1066) if you want to learn how to play as a vassal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's the advantage of leaving Merchant Republics around? I wound up destroying a few in my Italy unification game.

Vassal MRs generate a lot of tax revenue.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So my new ruler is a temperate, chaste, gay hedonist.

Sounds about right.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Can I join the Weird Crusade club now? And does it come with a T-shirt?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Welp, my first two heirs died young and childless, leaving my mediocre third son in line for the throne. I'd granted him a far off county to get him off my back, and in the six years or so since then he'd not only married his own aunt, he'd had no less than five sons with her, all of whom have the Inbred trait but are strangely healthy and hard to kill. Welcome to the Kingdom of Eiretucky, folks, it's gonna be a rough couple of generations :smithicide:

Double down on it and go full Backwoods Mississippi.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I swear I had nothing to do with this:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Uhhh, what just happened? (Had that happen twice in my current ATE game.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Jumping back into the game, spent the money during the sale. Outside of noobie island, what are some low difficulty starts and objective combinations that will allow me a few play throughs?

Matilda of Tuscany 1066 is usually good to get in the groove of being a vassal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I don't even...

So how does cutting my hand off cure my flu, exactly?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tehan posted:

I'm playing as Amalfi and have taken over both counties in Crete, but to usurp the duchy while staying within the Byzantine Empire I need a claim on it. Can I still fabricate a claim on the duchy with a highly-skilled chancellor if I own the county he's fabricating in?

I think you have to be in a county owned by the dude who currently has the title to fabricate a claim on it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aztecs? What are you doing?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vengarr posted:

There's no way to say "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" if you own duchies in two different de jure kingdoms, is there?

I would have been happy to renounce my lovely Dukedom of Nowhere. But it seems to me like I'm absolutely stuck unless I march my army from Flanders across Europe to Bulgaria and win independence.

Which I was well on my way to doing when my mystic killed me so I could reincarnate and enjoy a nice long regency.

Ironman: not even once

Could you not have given the lovely duchy to someone else?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just got finished with a full Charlamagne run as India (never again), and I'd just like to leave this here:

I had absolutely nothing to do with this.

Another thing I noticed:

An ... interesting disease.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

all that and the hre is still alive

e: every time i look at this image i see more austrasias, what the gently caress happened there

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What is with the Aztec Empire icon sitting in North East Italy apparently all alone?

From what I can tell, Charlemagne's empire broke up in France (while still leaving the HRE in Italy & Saxony), then the Aztecs came in REAL strong, taking over Spain, France, ALL of Africa, southern Norway, and a few provinces elsewhere (including Mongolia of all places). Aztecs form the Empire of Hispania, then break up due to Gavelkind, leaving a horrifying orange and yellow mess across half of Europe, then some of their vassals get free (D. Tripolitania & Cult of Huitzlipochtli). Aztec Aztecs (as opposed to Hispanian Aztecs) chill out in Cairo for a while, before moving to Italy. For the weather, I guess?

Also, lots of counter-crusades across Europe to push the invaders back. Germany is Fraticelli by the end of the game. Persia, Turkestan and the Mongols are Reformed Tengri, and the Byzantines went crazy into the steppes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

zedprime posted:

The state of the art in historic epidemiology is that you can't not prove the ancestor of syphilis was endemic to Europeans and Americans and coincidentally mutated around the time of Columbian contact. There isn't the clearest of vectors from European explorers to noted syphilis hot spots and there's a lot of accounts of some sort of genital pox distinct from the classics coming into focus before contact.

But with the same data you also can't not prove that Americans had a more virulent offshoot that brewed in isolation and was brought into Europe through explorers which then outcompeted the boring European version. But the Reaper's Due treatment is nice because it splits the difference since it was likely there was some pox related to syphilis before American contact you can end up with it from the occasional event or seduction/birth transmitted and the Sunset Invasion turns it into epidemics.

Shorter answer: Sometime's the loving touch of Father Nurgle is more intimate than some people care to admit.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

And sometimes the Caliph just wants to get his jihad on, and triggers the event himself ...

Crusades/jihads unlock if one of the major holy sites (Rome for catholics, Mecca for Muslims) gets conquered by another religion, regardless of the time. (You can see the ruler of Mecca is a tengri chief in the picture.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

No Pants posted:

I am the Shia Caliph, destroying the Abbasids from within. One night, their main man decided to try to mend the other great schism. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A map update like this one is probably gonna break save games, right?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

The title will go to the strongest vassal. If there are no more vassals, it will go to a courtier. If there are no more courtiers, it will generate one and give it to them.

Doesn't the game make sure you have at least a few courtiers?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kainser posted:

Also remember that you can use the "invite holy man" decision a bunch of times until you get a guy with high learning. This is really useful if you're playing as a pagan who doesn't get the "recruit court physician" decision.

Unless you're in seclusion, then the 'get a courtier' decisions are all disabled.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah the cure for scurvy (chop off someone's dick) is well-known to all medical professionals in the world.

FTFY

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It's 892 and I'm an immortal Satanist. This was the first time I got the immortality chain and I kept expecting it to fail, but I made it all the way through! Right now I own two counties and have the Theme of Samos in the Byzantine Empire. I very rarely play vassals, so I'm not too sure how to leverage this into overthrowing the current ruler.

At least I can use my Satanic powers to grow my face back, right? That -4 diplomacy hurts.

Capture and sacrifice people until you're the only one left?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Migrations era game that can be converted to CK2 please

Pussy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah! Now I just wait. De-jure drift is 100 years right? Might have to give those satellite counties independence because I hate border spaghetti.

Or you could conquer Luxembourg, like a real man.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's currently only limited to a relatively few religions, which do not include any heresies or unreformed pagans.

It works for Zoroastrians, right?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Soho Joe posted:

Started a Tournament and my king immediately dies from bad armor at age 23, good thing my geriatric syphilitic uncle is still alive to not make use of the Hermetic heirlooms :smithicide:

Fake edit: Disaster averted (kind of) I was able to suicide Uncle Chunks and his son inherited and... just became gay for his half-brother, the aforementioned dead 23 year old, because of the tournament :magical:

Crusader Kings II: I just became gay for my dead half-brother

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Sometimes I get people asking if they can marry some random courtier in my realm, and I usually say Yes if the courtier doesn't have any claims. Is there anything else I should be doing with that or careful about with that, or is it just a "hey, if you have any unmarried kids looking for a good marriage, this person's looking and not too picky" indicator?

Are they from Doges? Cause I get those all the time, too.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

For whatever reason, I occasionally get it in my head to start a new Shattered World at 769 and see where things go. This time I started as some nobody count in Greece and have been working my way to forming the Byzantine Empire. Because I'm using the shattered world mod on the workshop, there's a new CB that basically says "I'm going to attack you because I feel like it" that only has a year-long CD. So as a result, quite a few kingdoms have popped up in a shorter than usual length of time.

One of these kingdoms is my neighbor to the north, Serbia. These guys have always been cordial with me, and have always been in a position of relative power, keeping them safe from my wandering retinue. However, they recently had a massive civil war where the former king was the one doing the rebelling against his nephew. It was an extremely messy situation and took the better part of a decade to resolve. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capitalize on the situation because of a political marriage. Basically, I have a non-aggression pact with the proper Serbian kingdom.

Well, that civil war is over and Serbia is restored to its former borders. However, there was quite a toll on the ruling class because the new queen is a 12 year old girl who has, at most, 1300 troops and is all but flat broke.

Coincidentally I own 92/132 de jure Byzantine Empire counties. Serbia can put me over the limit and let me form my empire. There's only one slight problem... I have no idea who I married into their family and at what level. I can't remember if it was one of my character's immediate family, or a niece, or what.

Is there an easy way to see which family member is binding these two kingdoms together? I've already checked my ruler's pacts tab and there's no obvious links.

Hover over the pact and it should give the reason (i.e. marriage between Bob the Dunce and Joan of Serbia).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My Lord is not one for touring the countryside got it. Thank God, now I don't have to slam the gates every time someone in Wales gets the flu.

But you should anyway so you can become a cannibal.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I've just completed mopping up the last independent duchy on the British Isles, and I'm now the Emperor of Britannia.

I want to conquer the Holy Roman Empire, but I'm having trouble getting any good CBs. The Pope won't approve an invasion, even though he's at 100 opinion towards me. I really don't want to conquer half of Europe one county at a time via forged claims. Is there no way to get a CB on entire duchies, or better yet, kingdoms?

You can very rarely fabricate claims on duchies with your chancellor (I think they have to be on the duchy's capital), but the best way to get claims on duchies/kingdoms is with marriage shenanigans.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

White Coke posted:

Isn't there a way to force Gavelkind on your vassals?

You can demand gavelkind from the diplomacy menu.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Did Ofaloaf ever release the mod he made for GothLP? That might be up your alley.

Yes. It's in the second post.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Soho Joe posted:

Finally decided to buy Horse Lords! It's 785 as an Uyghur vassal. I have a horde of two thousand, and the Buddhist duke I'm eyeing is independent and has half my army. Tribute time!

They respond by conjuring up 4k troops (1.7k heavy infantry) and rolling me. How do I make this not happen?

I think all Indian religions have access to their holy orders from the start, so just make sure that you're opponent doesn't have the money or piety to hire anyone.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:perfect:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Had a question about claim mechanics. I'm playing as an Irish king and a female courtier of one of my earl's has a strong claim to a bordering petty kingdom, the petty kingdom of Soreyar. She is married to a unlanded courtier of that earl.. She is not in my dynasty. I believe that if I push her claim to the petty kingdom, and I win, she and her husband will own the petty kingdom and NOT become my vassals, correct?

So I order to push her claim AND have her end up as my vassal, I have two ways of dealing with this, I believe: either make her husband a vassal of mine by granting him land, or kill her husband and marry her to one of my sons? Only my second son is available. Am I correct in this line of thinking?

Neither solution would work. She's still be independent either way, and granting her husband land would only make it possible for his title to pass out of your realm depending on your laws and the order of succession. Marrying her to your son would only work if you can get their kid the claim.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

lurksion posted:

b) kill her husband and marry her to one of your dynasty, wait for kid to be born, then kill her (or wait for natural death) to pass the claim onto the kid

That'll only work if the claim is inheritable. And even then, it'll be a weak claim, so DisgracelandUSA would need to wait (or :ese:) until Soreyar is ruled by a kid or a woman, or is in a civil war to press it.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This is really helpful. Seems I was almost there, I just need to murder more people!

This is always good advice.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arcturas posted:

What's the best way to get a claim on the baronies in your capitol county, so that I can plot to revoke them?

Wait until there's no heir and stab the owner.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Has there been any more info about the upcoming Tibet DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Someone give me ideas for an 867 to end game. I greatly prefer to play the smallest guy I can and work my way up to king poo poo, if ever. My other completed games were in the Isles and Germany, so I'd like to vary it up a little, same reason I don't really want to do vikings. No republics because those fuckers are cursed around me. Bonus points if you suggest stuff to get me extra achievements on the way.

Semien > Israel?

• Locked thread