Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Did you get version 0.6? That went up just now.

Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?y3e1kjfhkf41xxk

I downloaded the mod with steam, is it going to automatically update? Or do I need to do it manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

skasion posted:

So I invited a weak claimant to the HRE to my (Byzantine) court and matrilinear-married him to my daughter. They've now had a kid of my dynasty. I want to stab this guy so that the kid inherits the claim, which I will then press, making the HRE my vassal (because claimant is of my dynasty). Will this work, or am I misunderstanding something? Specifically I'm not sure what claims can and can't be inherited -- the tooltip is kind of confusingly worded.

He'll be an emperor, the same as you, so he'll be independent. If he has a claim to Germany or another Kingdom title, press that instead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Not sure if it was the update or what the hell happened but the autosaves in my Warhammer game were hosed up something fierce, my Empress was some nurgle demon, mystic secret vampire in all of them. I had to roll back to a save 11 years before, what the hell.

EDIT: Nope, that one's hosed up to. I'm a secret vampire there, some of my vassals are demons, some of my ancestors have turned into them retroactively event though they've been dead for decades. Just going to have to start over. drat. <_<

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 22, 2015

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Maybe, but Paradox seem determined to keep pushing the boundaries out, both chronologically and geographically. That genie isn't going back in its bottle. I figure the effort's better spent pushing to make it the best possible Old World 476-1453 simulator than trying to stop it altogether.

Why stop at 1453? Politically I think the system could handle going out to at least 1648, though the rise in importance of the American colonies means going that far out is impossible. I think extending it to at least 1521 is doable though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

I still haven't really grasped the inviting claimants to court since most people don't want to come to my court. And don't they have to be your vassal for their claim to become part of your territory?

I've still expanded to empire status thanks to good marriages and some careful plotting though.

I did this recently in my warhammer game. Married the rebelling countess in Averland as the Emperor of Imperial Reikland. I had a son already, so I gave the son I sired on her a barony, and arranged things so his Mom got the throne, expecting that once he inherited he'd still be my vassal. I'm sure this has worked for me before in the base game, but it didn't here.

I wonder if the reason he became independent is that I built the castle in a county that is a dejure part of Averland because I didn't want too many overlapping claims. Thoughts?

EDIT: A reading further, I think it's because my Empire is titular and I have no dejure vassals.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They do if they aren't kin, but "vassal" can be anything - give them a barony and it still counts even if you press their claim for a kingdom (at least as long as you're an emperor - even if they are a vassal if you press a claim for a title equal or higher than your own they'll still become independent). I believe they'll also be a vassal if the title is de jure part of your territory, although you don't really need to invite claimants for those anyway since you already have a CB.

The real pro way to do it though is to marry a claimant to someone of your dynasty, and then press the claim when their child inherits it. Not only will they still be your vassal since they're a member of your dynasty, but you can raise the child yourself to ensure they're content (or at least, not ambitious), making them unlikely to cause trouble with their new power.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 30, 2015

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I hosed up. I'm the king of Italy and I just changed my inheritance law from seniority to primogeniture. I thought my 3rd son was going to inherit since the older two joined crusading orders. However I forgot that my eldest son (genius grandmaster cardinal of the Templars) had several kids by the duchess of Saxony before joining. His eldest is now married to the queen of England in a matrileneal marriage. He had a daughter and two sons already.

Of course, I die almost immediately after since I'm 74. At least Mario is 26 so I hopefully got some time to fix this. Will I have to wait ten years and switch back to seniority, or can I divorce or sire some bastards and legitimze one? My character is gay, so banking on future kids is a little risky.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

Slightly different question: I said screw it and plopped down the $80 for the full package since it was on sale. But since I have never touched any of these games before, is it best to just start with the base game and add expansions once I'm familiar with it? I Had fun last night with everything turned on but had no clue what the hell I was actually doing.

Play the Byzantines in the 867 start. It's basically easy mode. You start as an emperor and have a lot of small neighbor to holy war and such.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Play the Byzantines in the 867 start. It's basically easy mode. You start as an emperor and have a lot of small neighbor to holy war and such.

Actaully, don't holy war them. They're occupying your dejure territory. Just claim it as normal. Makes it less likey for other muslim states to intervene.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Terratina posted:

Thank you very much.

You have to have high crown authority or maybe even absolute to get that passed though, and of course you have to pack the council with yes men to get them to vote for it. The only state that starts with that as the status quo is the Byzantines.

Took my own advice, started an 867 games as the Byz. Defeated an invasion of Sicily and got a sweet 1,000 crowns in indemnity. Invested that into my retinue and raising the Vangarian guard and then promptly holy wared Crete into submission and annexed it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My heir was a lunatic, so I awarded my elder non born in the purple son the despot honor, and now he's dull. <_<

Is there anyway to get rid of that modifier in game once he inherits?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Horses make fine chancellors dude, should have just rolled with the madman

I should have waited for him to become an adult in order to avoid this. Before he got the cow face he was looking like a fine heir.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Doing pretty well in my latest Byz 867 game. I actually haven't had to do much holy warring in the East. Just conquered Cilicia, Galilee and half of Antioch. The conquest of Cilicia was enough to topple the rest of the dominoes. My eastern Dukes have since overrun Armenia, Georgia and Alania while also making in roads into Syria with only a minimal amount of assistance from me. I've spent most of my time and resources reestablishing the Byz position in the Balkans and the Mediterranean.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

The hell is that yellow landlocked Venice doing?

No idea. The real Venice has a long snakey territory through Croatia to Belgrade, which I just helped my vassal king liberate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Black Sea is a Byzantine Lake and we're knocking on the gates of Jerusalem. Most importantly I've cleaned up all the border gore.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

I see that uh... spain went back to catholic?

I think i forgot to disable secret societies when I started since it's been a good year since I played and I forgot how wacky things could get with crazy religious conversions.

Or maybe their was a fluke inheritance or a religous uprising actually succeeded. I did notice there was a big civil war there a while back, but I didn't investigate it.

I will look into the matter and see if I can figure out what happened tonight.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

I see that uh... spain went back to catholic?

Okay, I checked it out. The king is Jewish! :wow:

His Andulsian Sunni grandfather took over the country.

The wife that gave birth to his heir was a Visigothic Catholic.

The heir was a Sephardic Jew. So, since his mother was named the "unfaithful", I guess this kid maybe slipped by unnoticed? And then got tutored by his real dad or something?

Or maybe joining a secret society can change your ethnicity along with religion? Somehow he and his son have been able to hold onto power despite ruling only sunni and catholic counties.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Jerusalem has been reclaimed from the infidel and there was much rejoicing across Christendom. :dance:

The Brotherhood of the Holy Seplucher steps up and vows to make sure that the Holy Land never falls again.

The emperor is such a masterful diplomat that his dog and cat now get along. :neckbeard:

The Empire has now almost completely reclaimed what the game considers its "dejure lands" but we all know that Eastern Roman Empire ruled far more than that. The rest of the Levant, Egypt and Libya beckon.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Grand Prize Winner, it's in the UI somewhere Fsomething or other will take those screenshots.

Update for my game. The Pope has called a crusade upon Hispania from the papacy in... Calais? Somewhere around there anyways. No idea how that happened, Rome is ruled by an independent Catholic bishop. I guess they must have fell to the North Africans while I wasn't looking early on and then got liberated by the Italians?

Anyhow, since last I posted I've liberated Ascalon and Corsica from the infidels and conquered Istiria for my Croatian vassal. My Bulgarian vassal conquered a Hungarian border county. I also gave the Brotherhood a donation and a castle in Jerusalem, and vassalized them. They were a big help in the conquest of Corsica.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

catlord posted:

I was going along, it's 1052, the Mongols showed up and they're being terrifying in the East, but I'm just laying low on my island, everything's cool. I had a bit of a dead end where I couldn't spend any money, but then I built a new barony which got me like, an extra 2500 troops which is real helpful in raiding (and now I've maxed that one out too so I'm trying to get economy tech to spread to the other province so I can upgrade my barony there but it's taking forever).

Question though, I was raiding Amalfi when I got the notification that I can create a title, which I thought was weird because I hadn't gained any land, when I realised that it was for the Sunni Caliphate, because for shits and giggles like, 150 years ago, I decided to see if I could get a Sayyid in my family line, not expecting the title would go unheld. I'm pretty happy with my small piracy game I have going, will claiming the Caliphate mess with that? What are the other pros and cons? This is only the second time I've played Muslims, the last being my previous attempt at this type of game, and the longest so far.

Realms

Sapmi is being unusually aggressive. Aquitaine used to have Baltic possessions, but then I think there was a Fitna Fracture split, and then the guy who ran the Pomeranian Kingdom of Aquitaine, but then I think he had the land and the money and all that to make the legitimate Kingdom of Pomerania and I think that ended that. Then Pomerania had a revolt the fractured them that takes most of their possessions that they still had in Aquitaine. The Byzantines fractured in a civil war, but they managed to reclaim Trebizond and those Anatolian provinces before it happened.

Religions

Reformed Germanic is almost completely wiped out. Over in Spain the Ummayads got overthrown somehow, then their successors made the empire title, then there was a Shia uprising that took most of Andalusia, then after getting kicked around a bit the Sultana decided "gently caress this Islam thing, I need Jesus" and then decided to go Orthodox? That's what's up with that. I think Asturias is still run by a Jewish Sephardi king, although his father was a Karaite. Mali went Catholic.

What's the pink in the Byzantine region?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Between holy wars, subjugation, playable religious heads, and handy-dandy single-province-acquisition-with-no-strings-attached CBs, playing non-christians feels too much like easy mode sometimes. Like Paradox designed a system of slowly scrabbling out and tricking your way into expansion, and then changed their minds. All christians get is crusades, cardinals, and easy access to primogeniture.

Maybe it's different if you play as a vassal, but it's a lot of work to find a good vassal to play.

Play one of the Anglo-Saxon dukes of northern England and plot to liberate the country from the Normans.

Back to my current game...

Rome was taken by the Norse, making it easy for me to take the city and end the schism. No need to wait forever to forge claims for me. Thomas is now known as Thomas the Saint.

The crusade against Hispania is a success! Too bad for the papacy that the King of Brittany converted to Orthodoxy.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem liberates the rest of Egypt.

Sweden manages to reform the Germanic Faith. The Brits and Germans are in trouble.

The realm towards the end of the reign of Agathe the Butcher. Not really sure why that name stuck considering she didn't govern that much more harshly than her predecessors, but when you father is a Saint I guess you get judged more harshly. She lived well into her seventies and her son predeceased her, allowing her young adult grandson to take the throne after her.

Kosmas has only reigned a few years, but his vassals have conquered the Arabian coast, capturing the Saracen temple of Mecca. I really want to conquer the North African coast, but the enemy is too strong for me to crush before everyone else in Eurasia overruns my borders. Going to have to wait for the infamy to go down. The fact that my vassals keep conquering the Ukraine and I keep giving them independence helps.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zyxyz posted:

I didn't get conclave because everyone said "conclave is good b/c it makes the game harder" and I'm a noob who's bad at game so making it Hard is the last thing I need
is it me, am I the Wrongplayer :(

It's not just that it makes it harder, it makes it harder in a realistic way.

As for me, my recent 1066 start as Navarra is going quite well.

That is Anglo-Saxon England by the way. Harold beat the Nowegians and the Normans. They then went on to win the Crusade for Jerusalem around 1105-1110ish.

A muslim khanate conquered most of Hungary around that time and since then has been almost completely partioned between them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
One thing I've always wondered with republics, can you change your capital? I might actually get off my butt and play one if I can conquer Rome, move my capital there and declare the 2nd Roman Republic.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How does Gavelkind work? This is an embarassing question to ask for someone with almost a thousand hours in game, but I usually start games in the 1066 era where I manage to change my inheritance law if my character starts with it.

I'm emperor of Hispania and the Duke of Algrave is the only living son of the Duchess of Aquatine, Gascgone, and Potiou. He was in line to inherit 40% of France. He has had kids though and now is oldest son is line to inherit it all. Why?

Is it possible that France has made foreign inheritance transfer illegal and that's why it skips the landed father?

Also, why aren't the duchies split between his two sons instead of all going to the oldest one?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

Your oldest gets your highest title. if you have multiple equal titles, each heir gets one. If you hold lands enough to make a new de jour king title, it makes one, and gives it to 2nd heir, on down till you run out of land. Vikings run into this when you say, form Kingdom of Sweden, and vassalise all of Denmark with subjugation and the rest of the independent counts of Norway by just asking for vassalage once your border touches theirs. You got three kids. it gives your heir Sweden. Then your second gets Norway. Third Denmark. Then on to Duke titles. it will try and favor Duke titles in the kingdom they got, but that wont stop it from say giving Austergotland to the son who inherited Denmark if your old king was a grand duke with Sweden and Austergotland. Inheritance will also rip a county away from someone in the new kingdoms, giving it to the new king, if no land is set to inherate from personal holdings of the dead king.

It makes kingdoms fly apart. Until you think you can push to an empire, the msot you want to personally hold is 49% of other kingdoms outside your first de jour kingdom.

A good thing is any of your brothers will leave you strong claims on their poo poo. A quick unification war or three fixes border gore.
I know the basics like this, but it does not seem to be working like that in the example I gave.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

I posted an edit to what you quoted, but I will repeat the edit.

He likely has foreign inheritance outlawed. The land stays in France, so it goes to the next in line, being his son.

The Second Son is not in line to inherit by Gavelkin, at least by how it understand it. Being that there is only the one heir, and he is disqualified, it goes to primogeniture for the next in line, being his oldest son.

If he didnt have a son, it would try and find someone else of his dynasty and give it all to the most qualified. It would not try and find more to split the titles around. Some no land cousin might suddenly own 40% of France, but cousin's younger brother gets nothing.
Okay, got it.

What if the only living member of the dynasty is a foreign lord? (Not the case here, just wondering). Does the King inherit?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Node posted:

I think I last played this game when The Old Gods was the current DLC. Just what can I expect if I dive in again with all the DLC past that? Is it overwhelming?

Get Sons of Abraham, Way of Life, Conclave, and Reapers Due. Game is much deeper and better.

Want to play on the eastern end of the map, also get Rajas of India, Horse Lords and Jade Dragon.

Want to play edge lord secret societies, get Monks and Mystics.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Something I'd also like is for the phyiscal appearance of characters or rather their attraction to each other counting for much more when it comes to accepting marriage, possibly with the traits of their parents/guardians also influencing this (say if the parents are whether or not the character you are trying to marry is attracted to you or has a high opinion of you will matter more, than if the parents are cruel, with possibly other traits also playing in here). It should not be trivial for a 50 year old dwarf king to find a bride, even marriages between people with a significant age difference was frowned upon and not as common as often portrayed in fiction (or in game where girls are snatched up the moment they hit 16).

Yup, the girls swoon for guys like this

quote:

His Majesty is the handsomest potentate I ever set eyes on; above the usual height, with an extremely fine calf to his leg, his complexion very fair and bright, with auburn hair combed straight and short, in the French fashion, his throat being rather long and thick. He was born on the 28th of June, 1491, so he will enter his twenty-fifth year the month after next. He speaks French, English, and Latin, and a little Italian, plays well on the lute and harpsichord, sings from book at sight, draws the bow with greater strength than any man in England, and jousts marvelously. Believe me, he is in every respect a most accomplished Prince; and I, who have now seen all the sovereigns in Christendom, and last of all these two of France and England in such great state, might well rest content.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sulphagnist posted:

I haven't played this for a few years but I've bought the DLC on sale when they've been cheap enough, I started a new game last night and within minutes this pleasant nun I met on the road turned out to be Death and I lost a chess game for my and my queen's life. :stare:

I've been looking for reasonably easy starts that aren't overwhelming, I've honed in on the King of Poland in 1066.

You should have picked black.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Western Europe is steadily falling to Hispania, while Russia and Syria fall to Byzantium.

Maybe I should fire the Aztec event manually and see what happens?

Catholicism, Orthodox and Buddhism are dominant. The Kingdom of Jerusalem is mostly Anglo-Saxon, while Egypt is mostly Basque. A few years after this I won a crusade for Iraq. Gave it to my 14 year old half brother who is betrothed to the Basilica! I'll give him independence when he turns 16.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 21, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Weavered posted:

Looks like the hordes of Buddhist Mongols are going to sort out Byzantium at least.

Nah, they conquered U-stang and Pala when they got on the scene but then fell apart. They've only rebounded because the Seljuks imploded via decadence. Egypt is ruled by a kinsman, I won it back in a crusade maybe 60-70 years ago, gave it to a brother.

By the way, why do AI rulers only want to rule one county?

I gave my brother Baghdad and 3 baronies that came along with it. Then I gave him the duchy and then the Kingdom. He has a demnse limit of 5. If it was me I would give out the baronies and keep 5 counties because baronies never rebel. Instead he gives out all the counties and only keeps the baronies, only have 4 domains. Why? Just for the bonus that marshal will give to his levy? It's stupid.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Controlling every barony in your capital is pretty good. Getting your Steward and Marshall bonuses to all your holdings is pretty significant on its own, but you also have all your holdings benefiting from the higher technology of your capital and any county bonuses like the Silk Road, prosperity or stuff from events. It also has a fringe benefit of concentrating a bunch of your levies in one place immediately, which is very useful in civil wars.

There won't be any civil wars if I control every county and all my vassals are barons.

If you're so big that there can be a major civil war anyways then the counties in one duchy are close enough.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Any advice for strarting as the Count of Vermandios in 1066?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Any advice for strarting as the Count of Vermandios in 1066?

Conquered Amiens, but the King controls Paris so I can't take the Duchy of Valois. Tried to expand into Champagne, but kept getting stomped despite save scumming. Decided just to switch to seniority and pump out as many sons as possible and mary them to heiresses.

About a hundred years later and I have inherited the Duchy of Deheubarth and two Polish counties and conquered an Irish county.

Haven't really accomplished much, although one awesome guy spent twenty years crusading all over the map, from the Holy Land, to Spain, the Baltics. He managed to get up to 27 martial.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Monks & Mystics is good and you can turn demon worshippers off with a game rule so you don't need to worry there.

Can you hunt them by joining the inquisition or some sort of holy order?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, you just get your court chaplain to do it. He'll also kill bring people of other religions to you to to kill.

LAME.

I want to join the Iscariot Organization and hunt demons, vampires, etc.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
1221 and my Karling game is starting to pick up steam. I have 5 Welsh counties and 4 Irish ones. Inherited another French county as well.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to gain independence in the near future though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Obviously he pressured her into an open relationship and she agrees because she loves him, but is having second thoughts since she realized she still feels cheated regardless. Truly a touching story that will be subjects for writers for centuries to come.

I don't think that's how the Paul Manafort story is going to be remembered.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why don’t you marry the kings daughters and get claims in the French crown and push a faction for your claim?

I'm on seniority, so if I do that now the fruition of that is going to be decades down the road.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Managed to become King of Wales and Ireland in my Karling game, but it wasn't enough because I left on the Aztecs and got wrecked despite being a vassal of the HRE.

I should have left the Aztecs on in my Navara game so I had a challenge once I united western Europe.

Oh well. Started a Karen game. Had never done well as them, but it seems like I'm doing okay this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I tried to do a little eugenics experiment. I didn't know what to do with my genius daughter so I married her to the idiot raja of northern Sri Lanka. He has the slow trait, and both slow and genius are hereditary so I was wondering which trait would "win" in their offspring. They had two kids, one a genius and the other a drooling moron. Totally the best family. There should be a sitcom for that.

Doesn't neither trait usually breed true? Kind of miss that from CK1, used to be a pretty good chance it would be inherited.

As for the random map, with a name like that I was expecting a random procedurally generated map.

• Locked thread