Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

So if Manicheanism has already replaced Zoroastrianism as the primary faith, and Zoroastrianism exists only as a heresy now, is there any way my Khagan can convert to Zoroastrianism?

Haven't had to do this myself for a while, but as far as I remember you'll need to convert to Manicheanism first, then be converted to the Zoroastrinism heresy by the Zoroastrinism version of a bishop researching cultural tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

thors before whores

:golfclap:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Alikchi posted:

It is crazy to me that so many DLC have come out and it's still impossible for Russia to have Russia-style succession in the engine.

This sounds like it would throw up all sorts of crazy/ amazing inheritance shenanigans. I'd love this in a DLC!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

So is Conclave actually any good because nobody on the plaza seems to like it, but then the things they do like seem to be misogyny, the holocaust, and slavery so :shrug:

Dead good. It makes vassals actually important and a big pain in the arse.

Or even better play as a vassal and be an even bigger pain in the arse than ever before.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only easier succession law is muslin

Is this where the one with softest skin gets the throne? :v:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

MikeC posted:

Do I keep doing this ad nauseum until I get lucky?

Basically yes.

Keep an eye on claims that can be pressed in war so you can plonk one of your dynasty on a throne.

If you have elective you can fairly easily engineer the heir of the other country to also become your heir (gift them a barony/ county if you need to get them to show up in your 'heir selection screen' on elective succession.

Alternatively and somewhat quicker is to invite claimants, marry/matri-marry so your dynasty is in control (if they're already married then :hist101: spouse), give them a barony/ county and push claim. Voilà they are now your vassal.

Wipe hands on pants and repeat.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Wasn't expecting this at all to be honest but it will make new games a lot more interesting, especially randomising Aztec and Mongol invasions. Good stuff!

Is this going to be in a patch or a dlc?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Are there actually any benefits to sending someone off to form a mercenary company?

All I can see is the off chance of earning some gold set against a fair chunk of your personal levies being lost permanently. Which is less than great.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

As a tribal that can't raid, it maybe pays for itself?

You'd think so but even though they're your own company you still have to pay full price to hire them, they're not like vassalised mercs or holy orders.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Jazerus posted:

CK2 is four years old. Unless you are a dog this is not a decade.

If you are a dog I congratulate you on your interest in human history.

Dog DLC to accommodate the growing dog playing community of CK2. Your hunting dog becomes a playable member of your court. Espionage focus is to see who's rear end smells the worse and seduction focus is to hump as many religious leaders legs as possible. I called it first.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Except there is some debate as to whether or not Syphilis existed in Europe before the discovery of the new world.

I'm gonna say this without any quotes or backup but syphillis is a "new world" disease.

Basically after 1500 a mysterious disease spread around continental Europe. It was nicknamed it after the neighbouring country, eg France called it "the Spanish disease", Italy called it "the French disease" and so on. There are no records of it during the period the game takes place. That said, I'm glad it's in the game, same as I'm glad Satan's possessed princes are in the game.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Tafferling posted:

In my new game(haven't got the dlcs from horse lords onwards) I keep getting dudes immigrating from nowhere and instantly "vanish without a trace" the same instant they appear. Are they supposed to be plague carriers on the reaper's due?

I'm guessing it is the do with the optimisations made in the recent patch to make the game quicker. Part of that was reducing the late game character bloat.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

verbal enema posted:

you gently caress my wife you're dead a eunuch already blind

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I just restored the Roman Empire. I thought it was going to be really hard and take me a long time but it's only 868. Now I don't know what to do for the rest of the game. Prepare for the jihads and reclaim the rest of the old borders I guess. I wish I had Sunset Invasion turned on because right now only the Shia Caliphate rivals me and not by too much.

As it happens this is exactly my game and I've got a couple of questions for people who've played as the Byz before. It's the 9th Century and the Aztecs have landed in Britain and have just taken London. The Abbasids have collapsed due to decadence and I've got all of the Orthodox holy Patriarchs restored apart from Jerusalem, which is also an independent Muslim state, so will be easy enough for me to take.

My question is, if I restore the schism and make Catholicism an Orthodox heresy will that remove Crusades as an option for Europe against the Aztecs? Obviously in the long term that's a goal but I want to fight against an interesting Europe and not just the Aztecs and Ummayyads (who have half of France already too).

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Weavered posted:

If I restore the schism and make Catholicism an Orthodox heresy will that remove Crusades as an option for Europe against the Aztecs?

Reposting from the last page. Anyone know?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Is there any way to select an army sitting still in enemy territory without blocking half the screen with windows? Every time I try to pick up a sieging unit and move it somewhere else, these pop-ups block whatever I was looking at, and I have to try and look at the map through that tiny little gap on the right. I don't remember it being like this.

I think you used to have to actually click on a besieged county to bring up the county page before the reapers due patch. Is there any way to bring that back?

Yes you click the cross in the corner of the army page to return to the pre-patch version. :v:

I do get your point if you're playing on a laptop, and not sure if this can be disabled. Playing on a 21" screen I prefer it as I can change army's generals without pretending to move them and then cancelling it.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I'd say Conclave is my favourite of the DLC. Conclave changes the game a lot but I'd argue it's big positive change. It simulates the political string pulling in the background and makes vassal management and appeasement actually important.

People dislike it for two reasons; it was released with a patch that had shattered retreats and it hamstrings the player a lot if they're trying to paint the map as a leader. Incidentally painting the map as a strong vassal is loads more fun and easier with Conclave.

Edit: Also shattered retreat isn't all bad. I mean I play with it switched off but if you're bordering a tribal/raiding culture shattered retreat is actually a boon as playing with it off means endless chasing of raider armies as they retreat and whittling down their 2000 size force by 62 soldiers each time. Also it helps a lot when you're on the losing side!

Weavered fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 29, 2016

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Dareon posted:

Sounds like a good time to instead link the guy Converting the entire world to Horse culture.

Should be read for the puns alone. :golfclap:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

live fast, die young, leave a mutilated corpse covered in poo poo

Mods new thread title. Crusader Kings II: live fast, die young, leave a mutilated corpse covered in poo poo

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

TheDon01 posted:

I couldn't even grant myself a divorce :(

Haven't played the game in ages but still read the thread for comments like this that make me smile.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

I've conquered Ireland and formed a kingdom, but have no idea how to conquer Britannia. What's the easiest way the conquer a kingdom? The Scots are best friends with me right now but both the King and his heir have a wife so I can't marry into the family. England and Wales disappeared under a Norse invasion who look like they could put up a much tougher fight than me. Constantly manufacturing claims on individual counties would take forever.

Also, should I be hoarding gold or spending it ASAP? I've tried to upgrade my towns and castles but it seems slow going, especially since my demense level fluctuates so much from king to king.

If you're friendly with the Scots and your both about equal power it could be good to try and get in with the heir's second heir (so 4th in line to the throne) then once the marriage is secured :hist101: his way to the top. Otherwise look for people with claims to Scotland and try invite them to court (if they're already married then :hist101:), marry them to someone of your dynasty (again ideally your heir) and press for war. Either way be aware that until you personally own both crowns you won't be able to hold Scotland and Ireland at the same time as a King cannot be vassal to another King.

As for upgrading only ever do your own personally held castles and even then you want to be only really bothering with increasing your levies. If your demesne level is fluctuating so much then just focus on your capital province for now. That said if you want to be ambitious save all your money till you take Middlesex, make it your capital and spend all your money there - it's the best holding in Britannia.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Raserys posted:

I don't get it

He's 16 and is rocking a skullet.

Edit: Unless your 16 and you've got one yourself and you're being :thejoke: then I'm sorry dude.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 22, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Paradox Dev Diary posted:

There is a new screen you can open up, which, if you’re within range of China, allows you to interact with the Emperor in various interesting ways. China can grant many wonderful boons if you’re in the emperor’s good graces, but, depending on the current status and policy of the Dragon Throne, the emperor can also decide you’d better show some respect and become a tributary state. When there is turmoil in China, displaced or fleeing armies can arrive on the map and cause all kinds of trouble. China can even seize and rule actual provinces, but the emperor leaves the governing of such areas to the Governor of the Western Protectorate (or, to be a stickler, the “Protectorate General to Pacify the West”.) Potentially, this on-map part of China can grow enormously powerful, but you should not have to worry too much as long as you enjoy the emperor’s grace…

I actually think this is a pretty cool way to include China, showing it as this big out of reach super power and also showing that the world doesn't stop at the end of the world map.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

My 83 year old Byzantine Emperor has just passed away. The last 50 odd years of his reign he was insane due to syphillis (getting the nickname "the wise" on the way) and struggled with non-stop rebellions, at one point actually losing the throne before managing to win it back by rebelling himself and usurping his usurping aunt. His son sadly died young but he was succeeded by his strong, attractive and ambitious grandson aged 22.

Great I think, plenty of time to consolidate and then push on towards reuniting the Roman Empire.

He dies in his first battle against some independent Georgian count and now I'm his 3 year old son. :negative:

I love this game.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Jazerus posted:

Robert de Hauteville of Apulia in 1066. Your immediate goal is to form the Kingdom of Sicily.

Seconding this.

Personally I've found achievement hunting to make for some fun games.

The Abbasids in 1066 with the goal of reforming an empire level caliphate while under the Turks and the Danish start in 1066 with the goal of taking over England. Both are doable but not too easy.

Or try to unify India, I've played this game an embarrassing amount of hours but still never done an Indian run. :shrug:

Edit: Can't remember the name of the dynasty but the Duke of Barcelona in the Old Gods start also made for a good game. Lots of opportunities to expand within Francia with the added benefit of close by crusades/ reconquista into Spain.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 14, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm coming back into the game after a couple years not and holy poo poo I'm being overloaded with all these new features. My Byzantine campaign to reconquer the Roman Empire is going to have to wait until I figure out this stuff. Is that Irish duke still a good "learn the ropes" character?

Quoting myself from a few pages back. But you should also add the de Hautvilles Apulia start in 1066 to this list.

Weavered posted:

Personally I've found achievement hunting to make for some fun games.

The Abbasids in 1066 with the goal of reforming an empire level caliphate while under the Turks and the Danish start in 1066 with the goal of taking over England. Both are doable but not too easy.

Or try to unify India, I've played this game an embarrassing amount of hours but still never done an Indian run. :shrug:

Edit: Can't remember the name of the dynasty but the Duke of Barcelona in the Old Gods start also made for a good game. Lots of opportunities to expand within Francia with the added benefit of close by crusades/ reconquista into Spain.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

binge crotching posted:

I don't think you can actually build trade posts on the entire thing, just the dedicated trading areas.

That's what I read from the article too. With the amount of routes available and the money Socrota was making from only one, I imagine they will be nodes making certain limited counties more powerful and rich.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Conclave totally reworks vassals and would highly recommend it.

As a vassal it give you loads mores options and opportunities to gently caress things up and gain power for yourself, you can go full Littlefinger if you get the chance.

Then as a ruler it adds a whole new dynamic to the game vassal management is actually A Thing, as vassals who don't like you will act up, so you will need to please them and satisfy their egos to some extent - people on the council don't join factions. So do you stick the most talented man available as your chancellor who might dislike you and cause problems with law changes, your most powerful vassal to keep them under control or a bunch of suck ups who will let you pass any law drat well want.

TLDR: Conclave is good.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

I still do pretty alright even just going with the flow. Honestly focuses from way of life go a long way toward building up a character over time. Here lately I've even grown an appreciation for some of the positive traits the theology focus can give, as well as removing lovely traits.

Both the learning based focuses are pretty solid. Theology gives access to pilgrimages and learning allows you to get the Necronomicon and the observatory. That said I still think hunting is the strongest because of the hunting dog and the white stag line.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

scaterry posted:

Horse China :getin:

:chanpop:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

evenworse username posted:

e: The Carousing focus seems really good. I suspect there's gotta be downside if you keep at it long enough.

Interesting you say that as personally I've found it a lot more "meh" than the others, often I just get outright refused. I think depending on your playstyle or if you want to role play there's a strong shout for all of the focus to be The Best Choice™ depending on your situation.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well that's a bummer

edit: really I think its time for paradox to start CK3

Google the dev diaries as to what the DLC is planning on doing as it is actually pretty cool and looks like it might actually do China some justice in terms of what a super power it would have been in this period compared to Europe and the Middle East.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

edit:

has anyone ever made a court jester and dwarf

I always search for a dwarf to join the court solely for that purpose.

Has anyone ever been made a court dwarf? Is that even possible?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

So I’ve had an inconvenient turn of events. Started as the Count of Gotland at the Charlemagne start and... kind of sat on my hands for 80 years. But by my third ruler the viking era had begun and my third ruler was an immense god of war with 27 martial and he had terrorised the British, Irish coast and several mediterranean islands for many years making me quite wealthy, money and prestige used to create the Jarldom of Visby and upgrade Gotland and my Irish and English conquests. All good...

Still aged only 30, I decide to strike out for independence while my liege is invading the tribes on the Baltic with an ally, a tribal army and my own levies that are bloated massively thanks to my high martial I easily outnumber the King of Saxony/Denmark who subjugated my first ruler with just under 4000 men. As soon as I destroy my liege’s armies, my liege’s enemies all arrive in Denmark en masse with over 7000 men who make a point of following my men and not leaving us alone, ultimately killing my ruler in battle. I mean guys we can be friends, we basically want the same thing! Then (maybe as I had a temporary title?) my original heir is not chosen and the Jarldom goes to my useless son instead of his mighty nephew.
:negative:

Oh well looks like the mighty republic will have to wait another 100 years before it gets founded.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

achievements posted:

Aladdin Achievement
Was Aladdin supposed to be Chinese or am I being stupid?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Well I never.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think I used to know the answer to this but have forgotten it. If I am a King and one of my vassals (a Duke) acquires a King title, does he automatically become independent of me?

Yep.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

Not only are you loving a horse on the reg, that horse is your father's sloppy seconds

Seconding new thread title

Is there any indication of save game compatibility? I know rolling back is always an option if not but I’m tempted to start anew tonight.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

They do not, which is a bit weak but on the other hand it's not like they didnt have horses too

Counterpoint: Glitterhoof, Glitterhump and Glittertusk would make an excellent set of councillors.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

zedprime posted:

The horse councilor event chain is neat and good but the community preponderance on it has been weird for years and there only being one horse name and it being really silly implies the only reason it doesn't pull from a normal name list is because the devs enjoy smelling their fart of a joke.

I agree. Insane rulers should not be calling their Horse Chancellors silly names like Glitterhoof.

Hopefully Jade Dragon will address this and add Colin, Steve and Brian to the potential horse name list to make it more realistic.

If this isn’t sorted I can’t see Paradox recovering their reputation with fans tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

binge crotching posted:

it seems that Paradox added horse armor now.

CK2 is complete.

• Locked thread