Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

jruderman posted:

The event you're looking at doesn't fire for all characters, though. The event chain starts with the hidden event ZE.13997 from on_adolescence_pulse.
ZE.13997 gives:
a 15% chance of ZE.13610 "romance at court", with 47% chance for AI to pick homosexual
a 15% chance of ZE.13700 "interesting dream", with 20% * 90% chance for AI to pick homosexual.
This gives a maximum chance of homosexual of just under 10%.
It's slightly lower than that, because the initial event won't trigger at all for characters who are ill or in_hiding at the time the event fires. Furthermore, the "dream" event requires an opposite-sex courtier (age 16-35) to be in the educator's court, so it won't fire if a boy(?) is being educated in a small court such as that of a bishop or mayor.
The initial event also won't trigger for characters generated as adults, which makes me wonder what conspiracy prevents gay characters from rising from obscurity.

So the best way to stop your kids from being gay is to make them sick and lock them up. Just like in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Someone said they didn't have the "Have a son" Ambition, right? Because I haven't seen it either.

They took out a lot of the minor ambitions, like have a son or get married

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is getting ridiculous.

"You know, it's really your fault for not divorcing and/or beheading your wife for failing to bear you any sons. You should get on that" --Henry VIII

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Make it so that the same moron cant try to seduce her again but others can

That's definitely one way to do it, but it does have the problem of just how many Seducers there are in a game the size of CK2. If there are ten seducers in a court, it's likely that one of them will succeed with any given target. Failing against one person doesn't lock you out against others, so all ten can try with the next person and the next. The end result looks slightly better than how it was, but still not great.

Another way to handle things is to add a human-only buffer zone to account for people's imperfect timing and attention. For example, if someone resists a seduction attempt, then nobody can try to seduce them for 12 months, and no AI can try to seduce them for 14 months. The slight extra delay won't really make a difference to the AI or from a simulation standpoint, but it gives the human time to do stuff. Similarly for Templars. If, for example, Borrow Money takes 100 gold from them, make it so that the AI can only borrow once they have 120 gold, while humans can borrow at 100. I have no idea if this is possible/reasonable to program so it's really just an idea.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah, they've been moved to the various foci. Not sure if both foci in a given attribute can improve it, but for instance I know that scholarship has the old Learning improvement events. You still need <8 in that attribute to trigger them

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I guess we'll find out if the Crusaders will literally go to the ends of the (game) earth for the glory of God

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

I forgot my France falling apart into France and Aquitaine and the Normans losing at Hastings.

Does anyone know of a mod that stops the AI from creating Aquitane if they already have the kingdom of France? It would keep Europe a bit more stable, I think. If not, I'll probably just remove Aquitane entirely

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

What are those little green and red icons under traits called? Is there a way to change them with the console

Do you mean the red or green background some traits have (such as the Deadly Sins or Heavenly Virtues)? If so, they are just part of the icon image, and can't be changed without editing the file

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

So is Conclave actually any good because nobody on the plaza seems to like it, but then the things they do like seem to be misogyny, the holocaust, and slavery so :shrug:

It slows down map-painting world conquest, requires you to actually deal with your vassals rather than just going North Korea, and makes your enemies able to actually treat you like a threat. So yeah, it's great and plaza will hate it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Coward posted:

Are you going to be switching over to square portraits and finally introducing the Nigmo dynasty?

I can't believe you fell for that! Don't you know that the square portraits were just a Photoshop making fun of people who think they're doing square portraits?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Coward posted:

Well, all right. Just as long as they don't rename Demesne to "Troopmakyng Cashlands" or something.

I... what? No... of course not... heh heh... that would be dumb

*hides "Bloodspyke Stonepeak" labels on castles*

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Kayten posted:

Yeah, normally it would vote for anything you suggest. Somehow, the horse owed a favour to someone against me. But that's OK, three people owed favours to Glitterhoof. It balances out.

I can't decide which would be a better explanation for this. That Glitterhoof actually understands and navigates the political world well enough to come out ahead on her own merits, or that Glitterhoof is just a horse and people weave intricate webs around her because they're convinced there's more to it than that

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gimmick Account posted:

Huh, really? I did not know that! The last time I experimented with the 'immortal' trait was years ago during the heydays of CK2+. Back then it didn't do anything to your portrait - You just kept progressing through the ages normally, but didn't die.

That's a good change already, then!

About a year ago, I started on a mod that involved immortal characters, and the biggest issue I had is that Incapable is tied to age, so I had a bunch of 200 year old incapable immortals running around ruining everything for everyone.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Games > Crusader Kings II: Spooky Scary Skeletons
Games > Crusader Kings II: Now With Actual Zombies
Games > Crusader Kings II: A Plague On Both Your Houses

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Crusader Kings II: Still Waiting On Crusader Kings III

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

How will Immortal interact with 1/lifetime decisions? Like, changing crown laws for instance

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, it's not just me, then. Why does it do that?

You can click the empty person window to select a new council member. Taking you here lets you see the current positions of people on the council, giving you a good idea of if you really need a toady, or can afford a confrontational competent person

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

And so the last scion of Melnibone, who has himself long since forgotten that ancient name, unknowingly called upon The Bzzzzzsycian to fulfill the ancient pact with his House. Though mortals may forget such treaties, the Gods do not, and the request was answered. It thought that calling upon ancient pacts to cure a flu was a bit petty, but cared not.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

give me some cool historical characters in the history titles, I've found St. Peter and I've found Julius Caesar

If you go back far enough, you can find Mohammad

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

If your rear end looks like that font please see your court physician as soon as possible.

I did so, but he just whinnied and ate an apple before cutting off my hand

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Pretty sure that if Deiter dies and Heinrich inherits Aragon, then Fernando will become the heir to Aragon. Since Castille is elective and Fernando is of your dynasty, you should be able to nominate him as your heir. If not, once Elvira gets elected SHE should be able to nominate Fernando. Then if she dies before him, he'll inherit Castille.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

:shrug: 500 years later, a LOT of people would be descended from Cleopatra. On the other hand, this lineage claims that her mother is descended from Cleopatra, and there's no reliable record of who her mother was so it's almost certainly bullshit

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

There are a looot of ridiculous dynastic descent claims that people took seriously. For a while people even believed that royal dynasties were descended from gods!

Yeah, in reality fewer than 20% of royal dynasties have any significant divine blood

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I managed to avoid the Genius Curse. I was playing a Norse In Ireland game, and noticed about a hundred years in that my heir was a Grey Eminence, Quick, Shrewd, Strong, Ambitious guy. Writing him off as "Going to die of dysentery in 3...2...1..." I didn't pay him much mind until I died and got to play as him at age 27. Then a few years later, I got the Immortality event and actually pulled it off. It's been nearly 200 years, but he's still going strong (Well, he has Cancer that comes and goes). No insanity, no mutilations, nothing. Everyone loves him and he leads a mighty host to impost Pretty Borders upon Europe. I'm still trying to keep a good heir lined up, because that sword of Damocles has to fall eventually. But still, he's had a good run and isn't ready to die yet. I currently have Hispania released as an independent Norse nation, they're cleaning up the last bits of the Muslims in Spain, and I'm about to release the empire of France as well, once I sort out some inheritance issues. Then my attention turns to the clusterfuck that is Germany and Scandinavia.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

So, in HoI4 you can choose to keep playing as the nation you release if you release held territory. So for instance, the UK could release Egypt and keep playing as Egypt rather than the UK.

I'd like to be able to do this in CK2 (I mean, I know you can with tag switching, but I mean officially). If I grant a member of my dynasty a major holding or independence, I'd like the option to keep playing as them rather than my current character. It would probably be really easy to game, but it would also be a neat way to tie into cadet houses, or to keep playing after a long time (if you've taken over half of Europe, release the nations and keep playing as one of them instead of your uber emperor)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on Charlemagne starting locations? I like to start small and grow gradually big.

No pref as to religion/geography.

I had a lot of fun as a ruler designed Germanic (norse pagan religion) count in Ireland

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Goddamn Karlings

This is why 1066 is the best start date

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I sieged their town but nothing happened, and then my army started sieging again right away, which makes no sense to me. Finally after sieging the castle like 5 times they gave up and asked for peace.

What's that about? Seems like after the first siege, the castle should be loving mine. I should get to loot and pillage the city or occupy it, I don't get why we just like leave the city and then turn around and attack it again?

Each territory has 1-7 Holdings. Holdings are Temples, Castles and Cities. Each is considered a separate target, and each must be sieged down separately. This makes sense in that they aren't all grouped together, they're spread out across the countryside. The City Holding isn't just a town outside a castle, it's a city miles away from the castle with its own walls and garrison. Similarly, the Church is a freestanding, walled and defended complex, not just a church inside a city or castle.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah okay that does make sense then, so I was sieging the castle, then the town, then the church, okay. Yeah I understand they're separate towns, since you have separate mayors or dukes.

Is there a way to pick which one you attack? Or know which one you're currently attacking and which you've defeated? Probably some tiny icons that I overlooked...

You always start with the primary holding. After that, I think it goes from left to right in order, but I am not positive. During the siege, it will say Siege of X, where X is the name of the holding being sieged, so you can check that way

In other news, does anyone know if the Aztecs get the High American tech group if you have Sunset Invasion enabled in the launcher, but Off via Rules?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Does anyone know if the AI spends gold to win Republic elections?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Toadsniff posted:

How rare is actual immortality? I mean I'm probably answering my own question as I've yet to actually succeed. I either deflate all my muscles moving rocks, or die from some rear end in a top hat's heathen ritual.

The reincarnated Chuck grew up to be an infected mess and in fact just game overed me. Thanks Manassés Karling.

I'm away from my game files at the moment so I can't double check, but if I recall correctly the initial event has a MTTH of a couple hundred years. However, there are very strong weights towards old or sick characters, so in practical terms it happens more often. If you get a genuine mystic (don't recall the odds here, it's based on your advisors) then it starts one of the immortality chains. These chains are each based on one of your stats, and get much more likely to succeed if you have a high (15+ I think) value. If you have the highest value it allows for, you have just over a 50% chance to succeed at every task. Failure can result in death or just stopping the quest, depending on the stage. If you succeed, you become Immortal.
If you get a false mystic, the events still fire as normal, but your odds of success on the final quest are divided by about a thousand, so you're almost certain to die. You can imperfectly detect false mystics by looking at their stats. True mystics will have a super high value in the appropriate stat most of the time. If you get a false mystic, or you suspect that it's false, you should abandon the quest ASAP.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

What sort of silly name is "Þórgoð"?

Why not name your kid something sensible and normal like Ásröður, Dufþakur, Grenjaður, or Lemonjello.

So, I know there's an option to just use the familiar names for everywhere regardless of culture, but is there a similar setting for names? Something like "I'm a poor American who doesn't know how to pronounce that weird p/d looking thing, let alone the rest of this, just call them sven for the love of god"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

What are Hermetic Ingredients used for? I've got a bunch in my inventory but can't figure out what they actually do

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

binge crotching posted:

You can make potions with them

How? When I make the Cure Depression potion it doesn't require ingredients, and I can't see any other potion button

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Is there anything else I can do with Esoteric Knowledge? I've got like 12k of it saved up, I'm the head of the Order and a Maga. I'm not depressed, I already wrote a Magnum Opus, I'm happy with my field of study, and all of my children have great horoscopes. Other than spamming Scry, what else can I spend this stuff on?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

So has anyone figured out how to use alchemy ingredients as a hermetic?

I've been looking over the data files, and it seems they do literally nothing. There's a few events that add them, and some sort of expiration event on some ingredients, but I have not found a single decision, event or modifier that checks for them or consumes them.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

NewMars posted:

So apparently being able to join only one society at a time is hardcoded, which is really putting a damper on modder's plans. :(

I looked through some event files to try and figure out Hermetic Ingredients, and there is only one value for your society power. It just gets renamed to whatever society you're in, so one character could never have dark power and esoteric knowledge since it's all the same variable.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

I just convinced the Abbasid boy-Caliph that I, the secret Jew Herald of the God's Faithful cult and Sultan of Abyssinia and Nubia, would make a fine teacher for him.

I noticed that the King of Bavaria in my current game is titled something like The Hand of Satan. I can't be sure, but something tells me he isn't on the up-and-up. I also get really suspicious of anyone who looks way too young and isn't Immortal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Rated M for Mature:
All of the things except nudity.

Horse Culture people don't wear clothes

• Locked thread