Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think my favorite playthrough was when Old Gods first came out and was horribly broken... The Byzantines were smashed quickly by the abbasids who collapsed in decadence revolts, Spain fell to Islam too, while the Norse handily absorbed the British Isles, while the Magyars remained Tengrii and kept Europe on its toes, the Karlings squabbled while the Christian world was reduced to France, Germany and Italy... then the Seljuks showed up and turned North for some reason and conquered all the way to Bavaria... I eventually ended up the Emperor of all Christianity and used the console to make the pope a vassal (:catholic:) as I tried to maintain control of Europe while heresy ran rampant. Then things got worse when the Aztecs invaded because I just expended a ton of resources driving the Scottish-Norse trade republic from England to have my armies smashed apart and my empire collapsed into a bunch of heretic realms. Finally the mongols ravaged the east until they reformed Tengrism, and lasted till Timur annihilated everything in the east and formed an empire spanning from Poland to Arabia...

If the new horde expansion can make that utter insanity of a game again I am sold.

Best part though was the Norse Fylkir declaring a holy war against the aztecs for Ireland that said Thor will strike down the feathered serpent and winning. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In my new game I am running to try to create a really strange world, I started out as Hungary and reformed Tengrism and then sorta walked away from them and left them be a nuissance fighting the Karling Hordes & Byzantium.

Then I moved to England where the Hvitserks managed to unite North England so I made a new Kingdom of Jorvik and went off to Egypt where the copts rebelled and formed their own kingdom of Egypt (woo). Screwed around with them for a bit until the Abbasid death blob beat me into submission.

I see the Hvitserks now control Scotland/Ireland/Norway/Jorvik and the Danes under the Oskylders (who were driven out of Kiev) have conquered England and the Ynglings have conquered all of Brittany and Normandy. As a result as the Queen of Jorvik I conquer zeeland and reform the Germanic faith. Meanwhile one of the Karlings managed to inherit the remaining Kingdoms of Germany/France/Lotharingia and forms the Holy Roman Empire pretty much halting any more Norse Expansion into continental Europe.

However the Ummayads have managed to destroy the Spanish Kingdoms and have started invading Aquitaine which was taken over by a non-Karling monarch thus not alliance protected, at the same time the Abbasids now span from Persia to Maurentia to Georgia They have holy orders because the copt revolt in Egypt triggered their "Crusades have started our core lands are threatened" event chain for the arabs. Anyway the Abbasid death machine then grinds away Armenia & Anatolia from the Byzantines.

At this time which is around 980 the pope decides its crusading time because Aquitaine falls to the Ummayads and the Holy Roman Emperor one of the Karlings leads the crusades retakes Aquitaine meaning all of Catholic Europe minus Italy and Moravia are united under the H.R.E however he died from wounds several months after victory after I took control to reasonably re-distribute lands. Defeating the Ummayads was possible because every single holy order in the game spawned.

This crusade marked the collapse of the muslim ascendancy, the Abbasids manage to conquer Greece from the Byzantines who now are reduced to Sicily, what follows is the comeback story of the Seljuks. I sorta ignored this but the turks survived and for some reason remain zoroastrian. This meant Seljuk Seljuk spawned as the fiery sword of Zoroastrianism...

He quickly conquered Khiva from the Samanids, spawned his 40k unit death stack and I decided this looks fun... at the same time the Shia Caliph rose up in Tunisia who at the same time got a massive revolt that placed a bastard son of the last Caliph on the throne ushering in the Zeydid dynasty, although the Abbasids remained in control of Anatolia. Also the Makedons got couped by the Komnenoi (lol what?) who was the son of a greek muslim, but ended up orthodox.

So the Zeydids collapsed spectacularily, The Seljuks who dismantled the Persian muslims states and conquered the entire Persian empire in say twenty years which was cool. He revived the Zoroastrian church, and was declared the Shaoshayant which was really cool. At this point I was wondering if I should stay observer or do nothing I ended up playing as the Byzantine rump state in Sicily and have finally by 1040 retaken all of Greece and pulled Orthodoxy back from the brink and converted one of the rus states.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

its too bad imprisoning and banishing people no longer gives you all their titles...

okay sure everyone would hate your guts and you would get murdered... but your heir could hand out titles like candy and make them happy again.

Also do the mongols ever split up into the Golden Horde & Il-Khanate post horse lords? right now they didn't do poo poo for about 10 years after Genghis showed up so I got bored of seeing the mongols sit in Mongolia doing nothing and conquered the entire Steppe up to Russia & Alania in about 10 years as Genghis. Went back to playing England, and realized after 30 years the mongols haven't done anything since then other than beat off a Shiite Jihad for Khiva

I heard that sometimes the mongols don't do anything and got sad because otherwise this world has been pretty fun.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Back To 99 posted:

Do you mean your wife is not your sister? Rookie mistake.

Not everyone is Zoroastrian Bro!!!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Not sure if this is the right place, I don't have PM's, but felt like advertising some dude https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/4uw42p/the_gods_and_kings_of_the_great_lakes_2789_ad/ is pretty much just ripping off after the end mod and touting it as his own ideas for the most part. Since I know alot of goons were involved I thought this was kinda lovely especially since he seems to want to try to publish something that is pretty clearly ripped off just thought people might like to know.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So it's not even a mod, but an insipid "world-building" exercise.

Eh Worldbuilding can be a fun hobby, but it annoys me when I see people essentially steal a setting file some serial numbers off and try to pass it off as their own or say it was merely "inspired" by the former world.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm honored that we could serve as inspiration for aspiring mapmakers. He could improve a bit if he got GIMP and learned a bit about paths and artistic effects- as it is, it almost looks like he used old MS Paint and tried to replicate the crinkled-paper look by just using the 'spray' function slowly and meticulously absolutely everywhere, and hand-drew the borders.

It's just worldbuilding. I'd be a little more agitated if he was trying to present it as his own donut steel CK2 mod.

Just thought I would bring it to your attention if you got no problem with it thats fine. Also since I saw it people have commented how it looks similar to ATE and he is giving credit.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Played a Charlmagne start game as the Ynglings and for once say Carloman win over Charles... That really throws the world out of whack in a hilarious ways and Catholicism is in real bad shape by 900 A.D. including Premyslid super Slav state to the east, Umayads controlling Aquitaine, The saxons holding on in Germany and every Karling successor juggling their own antipopes. Although the holy orders have started to emerge to ruin Heathen Glory!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Vengarr posted:

Don't you also need Charlemagne if you want to make custom empires?

Yes

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

True I like to let the Bulgarians have their empire

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am the Welsh Papacy GWYGWNWGWHNWMWYTW!!!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Immediately after becoming Fylkir my character, was challenged to a duel by his now heretic lunatic misguided warrior cousin. Considering my guy is a berserker you would think he could take out this chump, but alas no the reign of the first Fylkir didn't survive the coronation feast and passed to his son who honestly was better anyway although it hosed up my plans to form Scandinavia, at least he died at 49 and didn't end up old?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

What Crusader Kings has taught me about history,

The Byzantine Empire was ran like a bunch of idiots because retarded computers can keep them pretty much stable from ~769 till ~1453

Karlings managing to somehow lose the thrones of every kingdom in Western Europe die out what a bunch of failures.

The Egyptians conquered Eastern Africa and stamped out Christianity

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My comment on the Karlings somehow dying out is a reflection on the real world not Crusader Kings, in the Old Gods or even Karl starts, its almost impossible for the Karlings to end up in the situation the dynasty is in in the 1066 start. Maybe thats more to do with cadet branches splitting off in real life since that really isn't a thing in CKII, but FFS the collective Karlings really dropped the ball in OTL. Again same goes for the Byzantines... how did they manage to collapse, the Byzantine Empire in contrast to history is almost always one of the most stable realms in the game.

I'm not damning or praising the games historical accuracy I just find stuff like that amusing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

spectralent posted:

So uh if you capture a king/leader does that always autowin you the war and if so how long has that been a thing? Because I just got loving mullered by a 14k stack but I suddenly have 100% warscore anyway and christ, that's pretty good isn't it? :psyduck:

I am pretty sure since vanilla?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tehan posted:

It seems like Byzantine vassal games are basically pointless now because within a year or two, external wars only gets flipped on.

Nah you just need to be byzantine in your machinations :agesilaus:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The best thing about Jade Dragon update atm is reading all the new Chinese reviews on steam for CKII like

Added China excellent game +1!

or

Cannot play as China this is a huge disappointment, shame on Paradox!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mymy guy had a sword of Mohammed, but is Zoroastrian... I just sent it to China and got enough "points" which has a "Likes Muslims" trait which netted me 5000 grace. I can order them to explode either the Abbasid Caliphate or the Byzantine Empire. Which should I have them explode...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Technowolf posted:

Were either of them particularly annoying in a past game? It might be time to get some revenge.

I ended up having them explode the Abbasids, it was pretty satisfying considering this is my restore the Zoroastrian Persian Empire Run I kept loving up due to them.

Plus the irony of selling the Chinese Mohammed's swords to destroy his Arab Caliphate.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think Expansionist Jurchen China is a bit OP in my game... they just tributized the Muslim Hispania, HRE, France and Sweden... after helping me implode the Byzantine Empire.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

As long as you add a Belisarius bookmark /s

Also what is the opinion on the HIP mod? I decided to use it and can't really decide if I like it more or not, I do kinda like abstracting out the majority of India, because it usually just tends to blob anyway and be un-interesting. It seems like the trade-off they make is they cut down alot on the eastern part of the map, as Tibet/Steppe/India are cut down, but more provinces added to the Sahara & Europe.

I decided to end my ironman persia run, because the Zoroastrian Church title never formed, and my emperor ended up captured in battle in a tributary war by some random count, and spent 40 years of his 70 year lifespan rotting in the dungeon. Trying to re-do it in HIP has been easier... the Abbasids had a hilarious Kharjiite civil war, between some powerful vassals, while I slowly ate up Dylam and Persia from the inside as the Bavdanids... as I kept backing the winner... they also kept handing me more vassals which was hilarious.

"Shah Rostam might be a infidel... but at least he isn't a Kharjite/Sunni heretic and is on my side"!

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 1, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soup du Jour posted:

HIP is great, IMO. I find the character interface mod ugly but that’s the great thing about optional mods: being able to turn the parts you don’t like off. People say that SMWH is too :spergin: but personally I think it adds a lot, even if the cultures and having the titles be in their native language is a little much.

I changed out the interface mod for vanilla and I like it alot more now. I think that was my big issue of being too used to the original interface that the new one kept throwing me off.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Groogy posted:

Hey so just curious, any of you guys gotten the Zoroastrian Holy "Dog" kind of events?

Yes, but I wasn't sure if it was a mod thing or vanilla thing.

In Vanilla got the Shaoysant achievement, was really annoying trying to hunt down random baronies held by random muslim guys. Playing on the silk road you can make almost as much money it feels as a Merchant Republic if you make sure to hold say all of the trade post counties in your demesne. Being able to essentially have a couple Turkmen mercenary companies on retainer makes vassal rebellions trivial.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 4, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I don't really like the new After the End fork if only because it adds in more superflous crap instead of improving base (Hrrrrmm, where have I heard that before?) but they got Jews in as a thing again (but not Islam, weirdly enough)

I'm pretty sure Islam got sacrificed to make room for the god of capitalism.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Zoroastrian divine marriage?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dwesa posted:

Possibly. Constantine I of Roman Empire is a saint, but he also had his son and wife executed. Nicholas II of Russia is also one controversial saint, weak autocrat with nickname 'Bloody'. Junipero Serra, a missionary in California, is also controversial for his treatment of Native Americans. There are probably many other examples, but I don't think there is a canonized cannibal.

Don't forget his father in law, his brother in law, his other brother in law etc.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sydin posted:

I think my favorite bit is the Pope continuously calling for crusades for Italy despite there being no Catholic rules left in the entire world and Catholicism sitting at a cool 0% MA.

How did you get Crusader Kings into the 21st Century?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does having a holy order help you siege faster even if you're besieging someone if the same faith?

I want to say it did in Vanilla, but I think it got patched a few years ago.

big dyke energy posted:

Have some troops flagged as raiders and some not? I always forget to flag my retinues to NOT raid before I start a war so I sit in my enemie's county for a couple months like a moron wondering why my warscore isn't increasing.

I'm not sure if this is a good strategy, but having your could have guys raid and burn down a few counties before you go to war too. Cut down their levies, when you sack their holdings then use the money for mercs to replace any guys you lose.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 27, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I finally got the immortal trait after ages of playing when I jumped back into the game as Haesteinn of Nantes. Dude is 120, invented guns and is the head of the hermetics who I assume. I honestly figured he was gonna die trying, but luck held out!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

charms posted:

Just remembered this absolute g

This reminds of how in CKII is kinda how comparatively easy it is to get competent-awesome characters compared to CKI when getting into double digits in a stat was really good. Managing to pull off someone with anything close to twenty was godlike.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Having some fun times in my Wessex game.

My son and heir got married to a count's daughter. Count and his three sons die, she inherits, my son moves over to her court. No problem.

He has a child (my grandson) who becomes my new heir. He also gets excommunicated somehow (really weird since he had 4 virtues) and gets burned at the stake by his new duke. Meanwhile his son is a literal garbage character, with a level 1 learning education and no attribute higher than 4. He's also welsh, which doesn't go over well in Anglo-Saxon Wessex when I die a few years later.

I immediately have 3 separate murder plots against me. One by my genius uncle (and heir), another by my second uncle, and third by my aunt. I don't live long thankfully and my genius uncle takes over.

Things are going well for a while, until my youngest brother's wife becomes ambitious and has a plot to kill me. She didn't live long, but her plot was replaced by my brother's. He also met an unfortunate accident. Now my other brother and sister both have plots to kill me. My brother is married to a dutchess in Pictland, so I can't force him to cut it out and I end up killing him. My sister is married to some count in Northumbria, but I get some murderers over to her as well.

I've been lucky. No schemes have been found out, so I'm neither dishonourable or a kinslayer. But now my last sister is plotting to kill me. I get a 540% plot chance to kill her, and she survives 8 assassination attempts. A few were found out, unfortunately, but I've also survived her two attempts. She eventually falls off the balcony and I'm in the clear for a couple more years when a nun wants to take a walk through the garden. Whoops, she's actually Death. This is the first time I've seen this event as a genius, so the genius moves got me a win. Didn't have to cheat or trade-in a child either.

So now my dynasty is mostly dead, I've defeated the Grim Reaper, I'm well loved within and outside the realm. What can go wrong?
It's now year 7 of a slow fever epidemic in Wessex that's taken most of my family. It doesn't spread, it doesn't leave, it just sits there killing everyone in my court.

I would just move the capital if you can, I think the game is telling you something.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I decided to play again to set the groundwork for holy fury.

Its not a big deal, but I ended up with 50-60 characters in my dungeon so just hit mass execute since why not my ruler is cruel...

first execution was a three year old getting disemboweled.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dwesa posted:

What groundwork? Your save won't be compatible with HF.

I haven't played the game in awhile and wanted to refresh how to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even then the upper class all learned Greek so in a way they were already Byzantines.

In a way everyone is a Byzantine.

• Locked thread