Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

As a merchant republic, what's my strategy for handling the feudal lands I conquer? My new vassals are castle-holding counts and the counties I get myself are castle-primary with burghers owning their cities. Unless I'm missing something, my only way to take titles from counts is provoking them to rebel, gaining a claim via fabrication or the Pope, or murdering everyone until I inherit. And I can't revoke from burghers unless I make them counts first. Is there a better way to go about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you're a feudal ruler and you give a tribal province to a courtier he will make it feudal almost immediately, no religion conversion needed.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Note that there are big differences between Elective Gavelkind and Elective Monarchy. Under Elective Gavelkind, voters really don't like voting for your son. They would rather pick some cousin or nephew and ensure that your demesne gets split up. They want your heir to be weak. Of course, if it turned out that the only male member of your dynasty left was your son, then they wouldn't have any choice...

On the other hand, voters in an Elective Monarchy will frequently vote for whoever you select if they like you. As long as you keep up good relations with your vassals, it's not difficult to hand-pick your successor every time. Voters still don't like electing children, though.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lareine posted:

I just realized I might've hosed it all up regarding reforming the religion. See, I picked up the Necronomicon and I wasn't paying attention and I guess I take a pretty bad piety hit. Is there any easy way to get piety as a Germanic pagan or a way to get rid of that Necronomicon modifier?

You're a loving viking. Go do viking stuff.

No really, you gain piety from conquering, raiding, and sacrificing infidels to Odin. You should be doing at least one of those things at all times.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lareine posted:

I've already got the two ones in mainland Europe, I just need to snag one in Scandinavia. It's also not the Gavelkind part I'm worried about since first gen, I only had one son survive and now I've got it all set up to murder my grandsons since it doesn't stop you from doing that. It's the Elective part I'm having trouble with since if my son is any decent, they simply don't vote for him in lieu of my nephews and I've got WAY too many of those to murder. I just need to stop this Elective or else I'm going to lose whole jarldoms. If I'm able to convert to Christianity, set up Feudalism and then switch back, I'll do that but I'm not assured that I'll be able to switch back.

If you switch to feudalism, you can't change back to tribal. And going feudal isn't something you want to rush into, since your new, un-upgraded castles will give you far fewer troops than even your basic tribal lands. I'm not sure what the requirements for regular Gavelkind are; I think you can do it with any organized/reformed religion and a few levels in Legalism but don't quote me.

As for switching religions, if you have the right expansions you can convert to your wife/concubine's religion and then use a decision to convert to whatever religion is in your capitol province, or just have your heir remain pagan.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

TorakFade posted:

I started a game as haesteinn of nantes, hearing he was an op count for his event troops.

Got my butt kicked by asturias+gwynedd and Aquitaine who all declared war on me within 6 months of game start and landed like 5k troops to my 2.8k

Welp, fastest game over I ever had. Back to 1066 for me :v:

Haesteinn is op because you can get 10k event troops with a Prepared Invasion. The 2k you start with are just a bonus.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Rarity posted:

Is there any way to get around the Foreign Culture negative bump when trying to vassilize people? I don't want to waste my time warring with titchy Scottish lords now I've usurped their Kingdom, I've still got England to conquer and only 100 years to go!

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Diplomatic_actions#Offer_vassalization

quote:

AI rulers will swear fealty when asked if they like the liege, the liege has a significantly larger number of troops, and at least two of the following are true:

• Ruler is at least two ranks below the liege (Baron-Duke, Count-King, Duke-Emperor).
  • Ruler is the same culture as liege.
  • Liege is the rightful de jure overlord.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

The AI usually do not prioritize changing laws regarding gender in my experience. They usually put all effort in changing the inheritance law to elective or primogeniture and back.

For all obligations I would put money first, you will get the most soldiers out of your own demesne anyway. Try to have as many castles in the same counties as possible. For example instead of controlling 4 counties you want to have 1 county with 3 castles and another county so that you get the max out of your raise soldiers and raise taxes thingys.

You definitely want your noble vassals giving you more levies. Sacrificing 5% taxes for 10% more troops is a great trade-off. There's a reason why vassals vote against levy-shifted laws and get cranky when they pass. They know that more troops means more power for you.

As far as your demesne, it's definitely good to have one or two extra (well-upgraded) castles in your capitol to take advantage of it's 50% levy bonus and your Marshal's buff. However you still need to prioritize filling out your capitol duchy (which get a 25% bonus) and provide taxes and some levies from their cities/temples.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

I think the king has a much more powerful vote then any other elector. What are the titles of the other electors?

The king gets one vote, same as everyone else. It just acts as a tie-breaker.

...The real question is why the Fylkirate is even being voted on.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Pfox posted:

Guess who just sacked Cairo and imprisoned the Sultan's entire family? This guy.

Pity you can't educate imprisoned children, I'd really like to convert his entire brood before sending them home.

You totally can.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

So here's a conundrum... I have built up a very strong Zoroastrian Persian Empire and I'm steadily pushing west. My first Crusade Great Holy War against the Abbasids was a success and they're no longer a threat. Thirty years later, the next GHW is called and it's for Greece. I'm stronger than the Byzantines and can definitely win, but is it worth it? This basically guarantees a Catholic crusade against me immediately afterwards and then every 30 years, right? According to the wiki, Greece has twice the likelihood of being a crusade target than every other non-christian realm put together.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You know, it occurs to me that the Pope probably can't call a crusade against you if he's your vassal...

:getin:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

ajkalan posted:

This happened to me in an old game and I was dreading fighting a Crusade against all of Europe...except I found that quickly crushing the Papal troops and assaulting Roman holdings brought my war score to 100% almost immediately. This only works if you can bring an overwhelming force to Rome, mind, but it let me know that Crusades were not to be feared.

This is good advice.

I didn't even get the chance to disband my levies before the crusade started. Which was convenient.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Silk Road posts are a nice bonus but not really worth going out of your way for unless you can get like five consecutive ones. They use the same Trade Zone scaling as republics so if you only have one or two disconnected posts, they're worth less than a vassal city.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You can do a quick and dirty mod to remove sound effects by going into \Program Files (x86)\Crusader Kings II\sound\ and replacing the ones you don't like with blank files. My game is so much better without the noise from the Council and Tech tabs (council_view_01.wav and techview2.wav).

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

With the Conclave DLC, do you still need to appoint a guardian for a child when it turns 6, or does the Focus system completely replace that mechanic?

The only thing an educator will do before age 12 is attempt to convert their religion/culture if you have Faith or Heritage picked.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Hm. When I was trying Ireland out earlier, I could change my realm laws every five years, but playing in the east (where you start with absolute ruler/no council power) it's every ten years. Is getting to change your realm laws more often a perk of having an empowered council, or is this because of some other factor?

Yep. Law changes are every 10 years with absolutism, 5 years otherwise.

Sankis posted:

Is there a way to only call as many ships as you need? Playing as a Pisa patrician calling 90 ships to transport 2500 troops basically instantly bankrupts me.

Only summon ships from individual holdings? Split stacks and dismiss the ones you don't need?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Conclave is cool.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

Is there an easy way to see what all my valid casus bellis are? Normally I would just click on another country's ruler, click Declare War, then see what options are listed. But since I'm currently in another war I already have levies raised, and so Declare War is grayed out. I need to give out some counties and I could use an easy way to see which guys I might want to land for future expansion.

Edit: I found a claims page in the ledger. I guess that's my best tool.

Diplomatic relations map mode

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You want as few different types of units as possible. And horse archers suck, as I understand it. Best to just go 100% light cavalry unless you can get a ton of heavy cavalry.
What kind of bonuses do your commanders have? A guy with 16 martial skill and no modifiers isn't better than a guy with 9 skill and defense/morale/terrain buffs.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Actually as far as troop composition you should probably just dismiss me as some random poster on the internet since that's exactly where all my information comes from. Keeping track of the balance changes in this game across patches and expansions is not easy.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Obviously the answer is still "pikemen with a side of pikemen"

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I don't like committing to alliances until I actually need them. If you don't need the alliance to fight a war or deter potential aggressors, it's a liability since the AI loves to get into stupid wars and drag them out as long as possible.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Goofballs posted:

Re up the thread what is the current best retinue outside nomads? Cavalry seem to always win but always get wrecked so they take forever to build back up which is expensive as gently caress.

This is the most recent retinue info I've been able to find. The short answer is use pikemen unless you're one of the handful of cultures listed there.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

zedprime posted:

ee. Another retinue writeup pegs light cav as pretty decent? I don't know, massing pikes still seems really useful just because they seem to do magic against sieges or something.

This says it's from version 2.4 which was a year ago, not sure how much of it is still up to date.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Whoops.

e: yeah I can't find anything related to combat balance in the patches since 2.4

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 28, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

So I got the Glitterhoof event for the second time in this ruler's lifetime, and my first Glitterhoof was still alive. So the game did the only logical thing, which was to instead appoint my underage, Horse-cultured grandson to the council. Makes sense.

He's even a better Chancellor than Glitterhoof.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I've just formed Rajastan, and I'm still steadily pushing into the subcontinent. I eventually want to form India and then see what fuckery I can orchestrate from there.

The best bit of advice I found for the Zunbil run (aside from parking your Chancellor on the Abbasid capital permanently) is to get an heir educated with an Altaic culture. This lets you raid temples to boost your moral authority enough to reform, and more importantly, allows the Tribal Invasion CB, which is just bananas. It uses the same mechanics as a Prepared/Sanctioned Invasion (you keep all the counties you occupy) and you can use it on anyone, any time, letting you consume entire realms in one bite.

Elsewhere in the world:

- The Shia Caliphate Rising (Adilid) is some scary poo poo now that they buffed the amount of event troops it gets. And I'm more than happy to let them split the Abbasid realm in half.
- Bulgaria randomly went Sunni, before being subjugated by Khazaria... which is also Sunni.
- Wales is turning out to be the biggest power in the isles.
- The Karlings totally hosed up this time. An early Elective revolt lost them France, and some unfortunate succession via a matrilieal marriage lost them the rest. All they have left is a duchy.
- And, barring Papal intervention, the Umayyads are going to eat Europe.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but where do you put Councillors in order to spread tech? The source county or the destination county?

I found a thread on the steam forums that had detailed, extensive answers directly contradicting each other. :psyduck:

Put your Spymaster on a province with better tech than you (e.g. Constantinople) in order to funnel its tech to your capital. Your Marshall/Steward/Chaplain go on the province that you want to improve (which is pretty much always your capital), and they will improve the spread rate to that province.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Nut to Butt posted:

my 100 relation viceroy spymaster kidnapped me and i have no option to ransom, cant scheme to escape, cant imprison, cant buy a favor.

i guess the emperor of franco-byzantium will just continue losing his mind in the oubliette until he dies (he threw me in the oubliette when i got an event to ask for house arrest- now im a lunatic)

is this normal?

This poo poo is why I play with the Intrigue focus option off, since, as far as I can tell, the AI uses it totally indiscriminately. I've also had vassals try to kidnap or murder me even though they had high opinions, and the only defense against it is winning the coinflip after the event fires.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Once you are playing as that heir, have children and have those children be educated by someone with Berber culture and have them do the Heritage learning type.

Haestienn's son starts as a baby so just pick Heritage and send him off.

edit: why go Berber when you're already Norse?

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Ah, I had forgotten that Norse can't raid if you're going the TOTALLY BORING AND LAME route of converting to Catholic or whatever.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Use your spymaster to spread rumors about the basileus and use your chancellor to agitate vassals that aren't yet in factions, particularly ones that have border territories that you can scoop up if they revolt. And of course, murder the guy if he's strong and his heir isn't. Sabotaging his opinions can make this more feasible.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess, but its quesitonable in this case because it was under direct Nordic control for only a few months before being handed back to me, a Christian Feudalist. :v: Oh well.

It got the 25 year penalty after being conquered by Norse pagans. Giving it to you has nothing to do with it.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Volkerball posted:

You can also release them for a general opinion boost if your ruler is young enough to make it worth it. Release one or two of them and you should have no more faction fuckery for the rest of his life.

The opinion bonus for releasing a vassal only lasts for like three years, and it doesn't stack.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In that case, these guys are getting a county stripped and paying 70 gold each for release.

Also in two of the three counties I own I also directly own an additional Barony/castle. Should I award these to some dudes to free up demense space to retain two of the counties I'm about to strip? Barons are basically powerless compared to vassal counts. Though maybe I should keep the extra castle in my capital county.

Extra baronies in your capital are good to have since they benefit from your Marshall's levy buff and your Steward's tax bonus. Other than that, you want to be holding counties.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Thrift has the best general purpose outcomes, Duty has a 50/50 chance to become Diligent which benefits all educations, and Struggle is the obvious choice for non-inheriting brothers and nephews who I can breed into commanders. Those are the only ones I ever pick, unless I'm trying to convert cultures/religions.

According to the wiki, Genius children can't get Curious (although it says nothing about Quick). Anyway I like to take Duty for Genius/Quick kids since either of those + Diligent gives you a high probability of a level 3 or 4 education of any type.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If a mayor qualifies as a powerful vassal in your realm, you're probably too small to need to worry about the tyranny penalty. Just revoke his city and replace him with someone who likes you, then assign some honorary titles to your other vassals to smooth things over.

edit: Baron-level vassals are not a threat to you. If you're feeling spicy, revoke all of their titles, kick everyone out of your court, then invite new courtiers. None of the new guys will know about what you did, and you can hand-pick new vassals who will be grateful to you.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 28, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Zero One posted:

Plan B: Create a bunch of characters to gift the titles. Give Viceroy to whichever Duke would be best to have it. Pros: No family issues. No one strong vassal in Italy. Cons: My family loses the titles while I'm trying to play a game to build my dynasty. Cost of creating the new lords.

If you want to give out titles to new vassals you don't have to pay to create them. Just sort through the lowborn men in your realm with the character search and directly grant titles to the best ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

e: nm

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 13, 2016

• Locked thread