Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Kin posted:

Still runs totally fine on my machine save for the sound cutting out occasionally. I guess my machine must just be the exact spec of the one the devs/porters used :shrug:

Your version must have magically had ambient occlusion and extensive graphics options as well. Save for the sound cutting out occasionally, yeah it must run great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Steve2911 posted:

I only just hit the 70% point, so maybe it's explained later, but how exactly does The Joker's blood turn people into aspects of The Joker? That's not how the human body works.

This is a game universe where a guy injects bat DNA into his own and turns into a half man, half bat, a supervillian uses a pit of green goo to come back to life, and the last game ended with you fighting a clay-man, and you think this is the unbelievable part?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I'm playing the PC version, collected 100% of the Riddler trophies, gotten all 69 stars in AR challenges, and am just finishing a New Game +. Yes, I am a masochist. The only two achievements left besides the New Game + completion are "A Leap of Faith" and "Blunt Trauma" which are total bullshit since the game doesn't have statistics tracking jumps or stealth finishers. I generally enjoy achievements, but I like to have some ability to track them. I've done at least 30 frickin jumps across at least 12 unique ramps, and the achievement hasn't popped.

Having nearly 100%'d the game, I have to say the City was much better. This game feels both stripped down and crammed too full.

Melee brawls seem much scarcer in this game. They introduce a ton of new enemies that add nothing to the gameplay - looking at you soldiers who shock each other to electrify themselves. The fights just don't last as long, and that was something I loved in City - the long running fights where my combos can get into the hundreds.

Predator Challenges suck in this. Again, they add a ton of new enemies that pose no challenge at all (the drone controller STANDS THERE while his drone flies harmlessly beneath vantage points). They give you WAY too many gadgets, taking any challenge out of setting up takedowns.

But the worst offender by far is the loving tank fight. I'm not going to bitch about Cloudburst - that wasn't actually terrible. The problem with the tank fights is not that they're hard, but that they're not FUN. Once you've seen one tank fight, you've seen them all. And then they add Cobra tanks to try to make it a stealth section. The Cobra fights are just amazingly boring. If I'm in a tank, I don't want to be sneaking through alleys. In fact, I think the most fun tank boss is the helicopter drone at Ace Chemicals, and that's literally your first boss fight.

It's a pretty game, and I'm glad to be bashing skulls as Batman again, but it lacks a lot of the charm of the previous games fights. I do hope they add challenge maps in, especially with the tag team modes. Those are perhaps the one improvement in mechanics over the other games, and I'd love to see more of those.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tanks are the new Titans.

Titans were more interesting in that you often still had to work them in to a larger melee brawl. There was something very satisfying about carrying on those fights and juggling all types of thugs while this thing rampages around you.

Kin posted:

Oh and S.A.M, use that and you'll stop caring about "cheevos" like everyone else on a PC.

I generally try to do achievements the "proper" way, but I am considering it for "A Leap of Faith" and "Blunt Trauma" just because I know I've met the requirements, but the game is very finicky about counting jumps or takedowns sometimes. All the guides online even say, "The game doesn't count them sometimes." Seriously? What kind of bullshit is that where you put in an achievement that may or may not track properly?

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 5, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

plape tickler posted:

On ps4, blunt trauma wouldn't unlock for me when meeting the requirements in AR challenges I accessed from the main menu. I had to get into the AR challenge from inside the story for the moves to count. I also had to do ~14 different jumps for the leap of faith achievement to finally pop. Complete bullshit.

Yeah, I read as much online. If the game had a simple statistics menu like "Number of ledge takedowns, number of line launcher takedowns, number of jumps greater than 100m completed" then I'd know if they're counting or not. How hard would that be to add? I mean the game is clearly tracking it if these achievements exist, so why not let the player see it? Like I said, I try to do Steam achievements properly when I can - I'm not going to unlock the New Game + completion achievement if I haven't actually completed the New Game +. But these are just dumb. They force the player to guess whether or not the game is tracking it properly.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Sober posted:

There also just weren't enough predator challenges or interesting medal conditions. Not to mention you can have so many drat distruptor shots and it basically can do anything in this game, cools down fairly fast, as does smoke (vs. 1 use in AC/AO). I'd just like to see just more predator maps in general and extreme variations of them. The one only timed predator challenge was interesting but I'd like to see all 3 (or 4?) banks each with their own timer as well instead of just the first bank. The layouts of the others are really fun and it's a shame they've gone to waste.

The disruptor and hacking device really ruin the predator sections. As soon as they introduce a new enemy type, a new upgrade becomes available for the disruptor or hacking device that negates that enemy. Some of them, like the disruptor upgrade that incapacitates medics if they try to revive someone, literally make no sense. How on earth does a digital disruptor interfere with manually using a health pack or adrenaline shot?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Maybe it's because I didn't buy it at launch and avoided major bugs, but I found Origins rather fun. It's biggest problem in my opinion was the pacing of the plot regarding the six assassins. Half of them were integral to the plot, and half of them were jokes or throwaway side missions (Shiva for example). Give me six good boss fights, and have Deathstroke be the LAST assassin rather than the first. They blew their load with the best assassin fight as the first.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Aquasnake posted:

The only thing I can think of at this point is its locked behind all achievements. Anyone got them all to disprove?

I have a 200% save on the PC with all non-DLC achievements and that slot is still locked.

I'm one of the suckers that never refunded my Season Pass since my game did work alright. I understand the PC port is really broken, but to say less than a week before the first DLC is set to be released, "Oh, uh, yeah that Season Pass you bought isn't actually going to get you the stuff promised on time" is pretty lovely and downright false advertising.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I can't count the number of times I was trying to interrogate a Riddler informant and accidentally called in the Batmobile and ran him over.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
This Riddler is not a moron exactly, he's just like some autistic savant when it comes to engineering. He builds all these elaborate racetracks in the sewer system and hides tons of trophies all over town, but none of them are actually challenging at all.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

BarkingSquirrel posted:

So I only have 2 things left to collect to open the real ending. One riddle and one trophy, both on founders island. Not inside anything but the island itself. The problem is that I have no markers for them and it is not spawning any riddler informants. This is bullshit.

Someone already mentioned the Subway Tunnels, but there is also a single trophy and a riddle inside Pretty dolls Parlor (Professor Pyg's hideout).

Mr E posted:

I don't believe I'll be buying another Rocksteady or WB game.

This whole debacle is some serious bullshit, and it really is the type of thing that ruins my trust in companies. I'm probably the most forgiving person there is when it comes to poo poo like this, and even I'm seriously considering never buying a WB game again on principle. I'm holding on to some small hope there is compensation for the Season Pass I decided not to refund because the game worked for me, and I somehow trusted that WB would still release the DLC for PC even if the main game was yanked from sale. Overall I'm just... disappointed with the game on so many levels.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 16, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ayn rand hand job posted:

Can you buy the Season Pass on Steam

edit:

:laffo:

I bought it prior to the release for the sale price, and I got the base game free with a new video card. So I'm not going to complain about the base game, as I spent no money on it. But when I buy something that is still on sale that explicitly advertises "new content each month for the next six months" and I don't get that...

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Literally Kermit posted:

40 bucks for a season pass? Jesus. Why aren't you people rioting?

People are, but keep in mind that for every level-headed complainer, there are hundreds of drooling morons online jabbering about how "WB FUKKED US GIVE US A FREE SEASON PASS."

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Kin posted:

Welp refund request submitted. I'll see what happens.

gently caress knows what's happening with this season pass stuff.

I submitted mine but since my playtime for the base game is like 50 hours, it was automatically rejected. Which is bullshit since I'm not requesting a refund of the base game, just the Season Pass that currently offers no content.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Moltrey posted:

My favorite was when the person had a giant birthmark across their chest which Batman noted as "very distinctive." and it lowered it to like 400 possible matches. Alright then.

I think the impacted wedding ring was the worst. (A) How does a wedding ring get into your lower intestine? (B) How many people does that happen to? (C) The name of the wife was ON THE loving RING. But three deductions from just the ring alone isn't enough - better scan for at least two other defects!

Edit:

Also, sorry if this was posted and I missed it: http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145589580833757497

quote:

As an update, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Rocksteady and our partners are targeting an interim patch update for existing players to be released in August. This update will address many of the issues we listed in our June 27 update. We will provide additional details as we finalize that interim patch over the coming weeks.

We would like to thank you for your continued patience and invaluable feedback. We are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues and are driving towards a full update for everyone as quickly as we possibly can.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

The "updates" on this are some of the worst examples of communication, and it's almost hilarious to watch such a colossal train wreck. They keep just stringing the fans along with "Expect an update in (insert time frame that is just vague enough)."

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 18, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Mogomra posted:

The fixed version sounds great, and I can't wait to play it!

...in 2016!

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I'm left feeling like the dialogue is the only redeeming quality of this game, and even then certain characters get very grating and annoying (Arkham Knight). Nobody liked the batmobile, especially not the tank parts. The melee combat is watered down compared to City, as are the Predator encounters. If they had given us more of the same from Arkham City, we would have been much happier, but it's precisely because this is not more of the same that it falls flat. The only major new mechanic (the batmobile) is largely panned y everyone. They hint at other new features (team ups) but don't really give you enough access to those to really enjoy or explore them.

I 200%'d the game (on PC no less) and I honestly would rather play Origins. For all its faults, it had challenge maps with multiple characters that still give it more replay value than this game.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ImpAtom posted:

... What? The melee combat is literally the Arkham City combat with more. :psyduck:

Edit: Like if anything people have been complaining that the melee combat has too many things to keep track of, not that it's watered down. (I don't agree but y'know.)

I think my feeling this way stems from a couple issues. For one thing, the slow-down effect when you have a higher crit streak was removed. There was something about that effect that really just made the fighting feel more fluid to me. The counter windows were also much different than other games. They added new enemy types, but they just feel like more for the sake of more and make the combat more muddled and confusing without adding anything that really enhances the gameplay. Combine this with the fact that there are no good melee boss fights and not nearly as many big melee brawls as in the previous games, and it just feels a lot less fun than the previous ones. Maybe "watered down" wasn't the right phrasing, but the melee encounters in this game are just not nearly as fun as they've been before. The one hint of a melee enhancement we see is the team up fights, and those are so short as to feel more like a proof-of-concept feature.

Edit: And I would actually agree, things like counter-throw and grabbing weapons do enhance the melee, but do we really see enough big melee encounters in the game to appreciate the new mechanics? Challenge maps would go a LONG way toward highlighting the refinements, as it would give us enough melee encounters to really play with the system and see what new mechanics we can play with.

Edit 2: VVV Oh, my bad. Was the Freeflow Focus not as pronounced in this game? I really didn't notice much of a slowdown at all.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 28, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ayn rand hand job posted:

You had Mr Freeze and Mr Freeze and Mr Freeze.

The Solomon Grundy fight was one of my favorites. I'm not sure why nobody mentions that.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I honestly didn't mind the Titan fights in Asylum and City. Yeah they weren't the most involved thing, but they required you to have a modicum of skill with the fighting mechanics to avoid getting bowled over. As someone pointed out earlier, the combat system is really designed around fighting groups of enemies, not individuals, so boss fights are going to feel a bit week overall. Still, it feels so quintessentially "Batman" to use your fighting finesse against enemies much larger or more powerful. Asylum and City give you that opportunity, even if it is just Titans. Knight just doesn't really give you that opportunity as much. The Riddler fight is the closest there is to going head-to-head with a nemesis. The rest are mostly cut scenes or tank fights.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Except the people that wrote the code couldn't optimize it the first time and had to pull the entire game from sale.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I can't remember exactly, but didn't the Deathstroke tank fight even take place on the same island as the Cloudburst fight?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

redbackground posted:

edit: I've discovered the most annoying youtuber voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG5y70M95FQ

I love videos where the player just totally sucks at it. He thinks he's so cool by doing a YouTube video but his voice sucks and he's a bad gamer so there's nothing at all redeeming about this. Never mind the fact that maybe he should have used the magically ability to RECORD MULTIPLE TIMES and choose his best attempt.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Levantine posted:

For as anticipated as Arkham Knight was, all the downloadable stuff kind of feels like "least we can do". I'm on PC so I still don't have access to any of it but from the sound of it I'm missing very little.

The whole game feels that way. It wasn't bad, but everything about it just felt like they knew it was going to sell, so they were only giving it like 75-80% of their effort.

But maybe I'm bitter because I'm also on the PC.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I'm glad a patch finally came out, but at this point it's too little too late. Good for WB and rocksteady, they fixed a game two months after releasing it in a state that should never have been passable. DLC for Season Pass holders is still nonexistant, and updates on the games state have been sparse and strung gamers along for months. At this point, nobody even really cares about the game anymore. It's a shame, as it was so highly anticipated. But poor planning ensured that what could have been a great game just became a joke of the industry. It's just baffling to me, as I chalk Arkham City up as one of my favorite games of all time. And this game, from the plot to the gameplay to the horribly botched release, just falls so far short. I want to like it, I really do - it's why I 200%'d the game. But I feel like it's just so forgettable in terms of content and yet memorable in terms of the hilarious fiasco of its PC release.

I really hope that they can release a good DLC that breaths new life into this, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

This is how the Batman died... not with a bang, but with a looooooooooong, wet fart.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
The Riddler puzzles were some of the worst offenders of forced Batmobile "puzzles." Hell, half of them are not even puzzles, they're just racetracks. Isn't it convenient that he decided to start building vehicle-based puzzles now, in the game where the Batmobile is introduced?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I get that it's not going to be as long as the main game, but if you look at DLC for other games - even other Arkham games - it tends to be a little longer than 16 minutes. What did it take to beat Harley's Revenge in Arkham City? Like an hour? If you can't even stretch it out to that long, what's the point?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
So end of October means mid November at this point right?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Part of the problem with at least predator encounters is that unlike the previous games they're not confined to a singular room. They often take place in the open world, allowing you to easily grapple out of the range of the encounter if you're spotted. While it's a little more realistic, it doesn't ultimately make for good gameplay. I guess I'm wondering why they thought a change like that was a good thing when it worked so well for two games (three if you count Origins).

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
In Batman: The Animated Series he always struck me as the least creepy or menacing of all of Batman's major villains. He was just sort of adorably pathetic in his attempts compared to Scarecrow or Riddler or anyone else. But that's probably because it was a kids' show so they had to cut out all the implications that he's actually more of a sexual predator than any of the other villains.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I know the two games are not similar at all, but I keep looking at the Witcher 3 as a comparison. The game worked at launch, though it had its share of bugs. Since release, CD Projekt Red has released roughly a patch a month - sometimes just bug fixes, sometimes bigger or new content that they didn't have to release. They built enough trust that despite just experiencing the abortion that was the Arkham Knight release, I still felt it worthwhile to pay full price for the Witcher 3 Season Pass. And, lo and behold, it delivered the first piece of content on the date promised. There ARE bugs, but they've already released one patch since the expansion. That builds customer loyalty.

I'm honestly baffled how a much bigger studio backed by a much bigger publisher couldn't A.) produce a decent product in the first place and B.) follow through with patches or new content on a more regular basis.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I feel like doing that on other systems while the PC was still waiting for the initial game to be fixed was just rubbing salt in the wounds. I understand that if they didn't release any DLC for any systems, they'd be failing to fulfill the season pass for all their customers instead of just a third of them. But it still felt like a huge "gently caress you" to the PC customers. Honestly, they put themselves in a lovely situation by releasing it in that state.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Oh I don't disagree. If only this no-win situation could have been avoided by them somehow...

Edit: Fair enough about CD Projekt Red. I guess I don't have the facts totally straight and it is comparing two unrelated things. I'll concede on that point.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I think it's cute that even with a compensation of free copies of all the other Arkham games, they still have to say "stay tuned over the coming month." The games LITERALLY ALREADY EXIST in a playable state and you can't even give them out at the time you announce them.

I'm betting the season pass not being recognized is because they pulled it totally amid all the negative reviews, now something is probably hosed up in the Steam databases and thinks the "old" season pass is different from the one they put back up.

I just can't understand how you could gently caress things up this bad.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I am one of the lucky ones for whom the PC version has always run, but I feel like the graphics quality actually declined with the most recent patch. Am I imagining things? Thanks patch for randomly turning all graphics options to low!

Also, some of the DLC skins are really loving ugly. I'm looking at you, 1960s catwoman with the atrocious jutting chin and lips.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 29, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Discendo Vox posted:

It's accurate to the actress from the show.

I think the problem I meant is that the 1960s Catwoman skin looks... off. It looks like the actress its based on, but her face literally never moves. The regular skin is at least someone emotive. It is unsettling that the 1960s skin looks like she's somehow paralyzed.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
So as someone else pointed out, you cannot request a refund of the Season Pass if you bought it separately. I got Arkham Knight free with a GeForce card, so as much as I dislike it, I'm not going to demand money back for something I got for free. But I did buy the Season Pass and have been trying to get a refund for it since it became clear that the content wasn't going to be released in the originally planned time frame. Problem was, the base game did work well enough that I put in over 2 hours, so Steam wouldn't ever let me get a refund on the Season Pass. Now, even when offering refunds, they're still shafting people who ponied up money for the Season Pass upfront.

I honestly can't understand how this got so bad that they're just straight up refunding it 4 months out.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I was speaking more ideologically that actually logistically - I know Steam prevents that. If you read the angry swarms of comments on Steam though , I've seen many people demanding refunds even for getting it free with a video card. I've been pissed about this game since launch, but I also understand I got the base game for free so I really can't feel entitled to anything.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
City did a good job of fitting in as much of the Batman universe as possible without overloading the game. In Knight, there are so many references that it started to feel too bloated or like villains are a bit shoehorned in. Take Two-Face for example. In City, he's only present for a brief intro plot (unless you count Catwoman's after-game stuff), but it's also worked well into the main plot. In Knight, Two-Face shows up to rob banks and this is somehow related to Scarecrow's plot because the game says it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ImpAtom posted:

To use another example "They took the previous Sonic games and bolted a bunch of new stuff on. I'm failing to see the problem."

This is a pretty good analogy honestly. The core elements we all love are still there, but some of the new stuff just distracts from it so much that it becomes not fun.

Now we need a Red Hood game analogous to Shadow the Hedgehog in terms of EDGINESS. Hell, Shadow even had pistols.

• Locked thread