Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Man, I don't know if it's something in the water, but lately the OF has had some particularly terrible posters cropping up. I know Poe's Law is in full effect, but christ, do other MMOs usually draw this type of audience, or is it that unique intermingling of Final Fantasy XI diehards, JRPG weaboos, and MMORPG nolifers that allows this poo poo to crop up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sometimes I worry that people who level off exclusively or almsot exclusively off FATES don't learn how to play their job effectively since literally the only thing you need for FATE credit is "learn to hit something once".

Then I realize that bad player will be bads regardless, so why let it bother me?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Luck of the Pioneer/Mountaineer is nice for popping a Grade V carbonized matter that you can then use a +yield skill on to get 2-6 of, but it's not really something I've ever used to great effect otherwise. Worse, if you use it on an unspoiled node that you didn't use Toil on, the other gathering slots will still be hidden out.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Kithyen posted:

Just got charged for the "Before the Fall" soundtrack. Anybody have any experience with pre-ordering the other soundtracks? Do they send it to you as soon as it's charged? I'm confused on that since it mentioned it wasn't getting released until the 26th.

No, the charge happens a week or so in advance to ensure that the funds are secured, and they'll send it out closer to the release day.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Now imagine if it happened with something genuinely important.

Like my gaelikitten minion. :smith:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The best part about the 14-hour livestream and the Atma farming was that several fans decided to stream their own 14-hour farming session alongside the stream, because fans are weird.

One guy notably didn't get a single atma drop in that 14-hour window. :laugh:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 28, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Which you can do all of in an (admittedly boring) couple of hours, so....

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

hahahahaha

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Neither does 2.0 :smug:

(That :smug: only applies to the poor souls that don't have their crafts leveled enough to repair anywhere, It is such a huge QoL perk.)

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Finally got Ravana Ex done tonight. It only took 2 tries! It's actually a really fun fight.

This can be said of almost any fight in the game at their relevant apex, provided you have seven other people competent enough to beat it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I ran a Sohm Ai with an Archer once. An Archer downsynched from level 60. I kinda assumed he was one of those "Raaaargh, gently caress Wanderer's Minuet" dweebs, but I asked him what the deal was anyway.

His response?

"lol I'm just lazy". I checked his profile out of curiousity and sure enough, he didn't even have Bard unlocked.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 16, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Klungar posted:

Yoshi-P's plane was shot down over the Atlantic Ocean... it spun in. There were no catgirl survivors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Hm. I wonder if I could give a bud my account info and an unholy amount of gil to pick me up a house when they become available if I'm unable to.

4 million. :confused:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean there's a difference between "drat, this skill sucks, I hate the way it changed how my class plays", which is arguable but you're entitled to feel however you want, and "I'm gonna be an obstinate shithead and keep playing BRD/MCH without using it or any of the dependent skills, even if it makes my damage absolute garbage" which is incredibly dumb and makes me hate you.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 27, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

Holy poo poo, cutscenes used to be unskippable?

Cutscenes were always skippable, the only related thing they've added in a patch is the option to auto-skip cutscenes you've already seen.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Other than the abovementioned two Main Scenario dungeons, none of the other dungeons in the game have cutscenes long enough to significantly disrupt the time it takes to finish, so go ahead and watch them.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Probability and that water jerk can both go suck a big fat one, I bought my dumb water horse (By paying a group to pass on it when it dropped)and it still took 22 goddamn runs just to drop once.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Edit: ^^^ :argh:

Boten Anna posted:

Also stuff like that time I got the bomb swing mount a day before nearly everyone else because I did the dailies before the reset after that patch.

Isn't that usually the case with the beastman dailies, though? If it coincides with the other daily (not weekly) resets, you can usually get a day's worth of quests before today's reset at 11am EST.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

In that case, right choice made. :smug:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Daynab posted:

Nope :(

Checked, no luck because I bought it from the cash shop (wasn't playing back when the event was a thing), which is why it stings a bit more.

You mentioned you already had someone link you the item, and the search showed no results (which would identify if it was in a retainer's inventory, equipped to a retainer, or in your armoury chest/armoire). The only thing I can think of is, are you sure you searched for the right version? There's two varieties of ghost costume, so I'd make sure to do a player search on a linked version of both,

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Howling_Spirit
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Wailing_Spirit

and if neither one shows up when you search for them then I would absolutely file a support ticket.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Things change so much in this game, it's nice to have constants.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Night Blade posted:

I felt the same way, but at level 41 I'm not sure if I can withstand another 2 hours of fetch quests and mundane tasks. Good God, what a waste.

ahahahahahahaha

Edit: To be fair, I'm assuming you just got past Titan, the build-up of which is probably the lowest point in the game, quest-wise. I just laugh because you'll have several patch cycles worth of quests to catch up on once you finish the main story but before you can start Heavensward.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 19, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Absolutely none of which you'll know how to use if you leveled up solely with GC turn-ins/Marketboard leve items.

Not that it's wrong to use these things, but it really does behoove people to try and learn the lvl51+ gathering mechanics introduced in Heavensward. Crafting too, but the added abilities there are much simpler to pick up on.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Probably confirmation bias at its best, but it also seems like most of the "primadonna" tanks I've come across (and this is just personality, independent of tank skill level) were playing Paladin, too.

Just like how most of my terrible "I'M HERE TO HEAL NOT DO DAMAGE" encounters are invariably CNJ/WHM.

I wonder if this is an established pattern.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

:eng101: Onion Mask drops from LOTA. Onion Helm was a special item code from the Collector's Edition of 1.0.

Edit: The two other helmets that use the same model, Peregrine Helm and Red Onion Helm are both also from 1.0. I think Red Onions can still be obtained randomly from quick ventures, but you're out of luck for the other ones.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 8, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You guys are really cute, but strictly in the context of housing the game uses a different form of "class", which I'm pretty sure is what Vook is asking about.

Housing plots come in three sizes, Small, Medium, and Large, which determines not only the cost of the plot, but also what kind of house you can build on it. Within each size, however, the game further subdivides each size into five classes, so you end up with Small-1, Small-2, Small-3, Small-4, Small-5, Medium-1, Medium-2...and so on up to Large-5. As far as I'm aware the only difference between a Small house class 1 and a Small house class 5 is that class 1 ends up slightly more expensive to buy, and the plots themselves tend to have slightly nicer locations? Functionally they're identical and honestly the distinction is pretty arbitrary and minor compared to the much more significant Size category.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Luminous Cow posted:

Every time I read about crafting I am reminded why I don't do crafting.

Repairing your poo poo to 200% anywhere and anytime you want owns.

Being able to easily and instantly gear any class you're leveling owns.

Making gear for your friends and cute newbies owns too.

Farming red scrips once all your classes are at 60 does not own, but it's not like you have to do it anyway.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Edit: Quote is not edit

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Obligatory

I'm free from beastman dailies for a week. :toot:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Buy the esoteric weapon

Then run a Void Ark (as soon as you meet the requirements) and use the item you get for clearing it to upgrade it to 210.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Got a thing today.

Only 999,500 MGP to go until I get that Cloud Strife card. :getin:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Hyperactive posted:

I need the biggest or most flamboyant Bard's hat available from somewhat current content. Amon's Hat and the Demon Hat of Aiming are on the list, but it feels like it'll be much easier to farm up 3.0+ content, so I'm happy to dial down the fabulousness for the sake of convenience.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/3dabed3d3fd/

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Launcher says version 2016.02.08, but it's downloading 2014.05.12.

Seriously what gives?

Doesn't the launcher have its own version check that's entirely separate from the game version?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Vil posted:

Leviathan

hahahahahahaha

Edit: pretend I have a .gif here of three people and two corpses sliding off the stage during the first arena tilt after the barricades go down. THAT was the Leviathan PF experience during its heyday.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Quote =/= edit

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Just get whatever, by the time you get your Lore weapon you'll have bought chest/legs, and you'll have gotten enough Midas drops to fill out the rest of your slots.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

seiferguy posted:

It's fun to be a healer in 50DR and get something easy like Ampador Keep and just spam holy to the point that you're top dps.

"If I wanted to dps, I would've rolled a dps."

*casts Medica II*
*farts*

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Clicking the touchpad like a button toggles through different windows, with active loot windows usually being the first one to be selected. From there it's just a matter of hitting either Need, Greed, or Pass.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 4, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I got my weapon drop the first time I ever cleared Levi Ex in 2.4(?) and my pony drop the second time, later that same day. I've never stepped foot back in it. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish they'd just ditch job stones entirely and just make the classes into 1-60 jobs instead.

Also, replace the Warrior flavour with the Marauder, because pirate monster hunter is a lot cooler than angry barbarian.

This was actually in the original "vision" for FF14 1.0, since it seemed Tanaka wanted to distance himself from XI's jobs, so the only ones available at launch were the base classes (Gladiator, Thaumaturge, etc).

It was only after it came to light that the game was a total dumpster fire and Tanaka was given the boot that the concept of "Jobs" with the more iconic Final Fantasy professions was introduced and eventually patched into the game.

• Locked thread