Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Cession posted:

Whats the best way to level from 30-50? Fates? Dungeons?

I woulndt know where to start, questwise. I did a lot of sidequests leveling my BLM.

Dungeons, though as a DPS if you don't have a tank buddy and queues aren't working out for you (also if you have a new need to grind for seals), FATE parties are about to come back in a big way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

Where is the Workshop?

I'm glad to see that the first thing PBC also did with the new portrait of Cid was stick it above the Private Room doorway :v:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 20, 2015

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Fellow ASTs: What do your hotbars look like?

Level 50 thus far, afraid of what 51-60 will have to look like:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

I'm sure someone will write a guide eventually. In the mean time, I'm just going to do whatever and just pray that the DPS don't notice that I'm favoring one over the other.

My current assessment of cards, as of having played 50AST in some content:

Bole: Depends entirely on when you draw it. At the start of an encounter? Feel free to shuffle or even road it. Otherwise use it to buffer the tank/squishiest or the person you just swiftraised.

Balance: This one requires the least reasoning. If it's the first thing you draw, spread it and apply it when you get your next/desired road effect. Otherwise, there is pretty much no reason not to instantly cast this on whoever you believe is putting out the most DPS in your party.

Arrow: Arrow is kind of a roll depending on your party. It increases "attack speed" (which pertains to autoattacks, spellspeed, and GCDs). It can either greatly increase the thoroughput of your BLM/SMN/SCH players, mildly increase the thoroughput of your phys DPS, or can also help the healers make a push on topping off the party in a pinch. The autoattack bonus isn't huge, but chances are you'll always have a valid target to cast this on. If not, it's a valuable road card.

Spear: Spear can significantly reduce cooldowns, so it's okay for any of your DPS, or it can help your tanks keep up their defensive cooldowns much easier, but if neither of those are relevant, definitely road it.

Spire: Spire isn't quite a Goad, but it's about as useful early on in the encounter. It's absolutely one of the best cards to use if you're trying to AOE large pulls. Toss it on any of the TP users if it happens to be one of your first draws, but if you've got a road effect and don't want the one from Spire, consider shuffling.

Ewer: Ewer is the one I find the least valuable most of the time. I feel like this card only really has value on BLMs (it has pretty significant value on BLM though) and WHMs, anybody other class won't really need it. Once you're in content where WHM has Assize, I'm not even sure it would be worth casting it on them after that point. I am prone to immediately shuffling/roading, but during AOE heavy content this may be one of the few things you cast on yourself if you're trying to keep up with party heals.

Royal Road: I have yet to actually try to control the effect I am receiving on road, if I draw an undesirable card and have no road effect I will always choose to road it vs shuffle, just to have some kind of buff to whatever is drawn next. They're all pretty useful in some regard.

Of course, ultimately every situation is hugely dynamic and there are any number of justifications you can use for playing/roading/spreading a card at any time, but these are the conclusions I have drawn from a whopping 2 days of AST play.

e: had spear/arrow benefits reversed. remember: a for "ability speed", s for... idk

Emalde fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 21, 2015

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

I'm enjoying F5ing that post every minute and watching it change (I do the same don't worry)

If I edit it enough I can just quote it later for more people who ask :shobon:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

So if anybody cares what's written on the Demon Book, most of it is seemingly nonsense (though this is likely not the case, just some mix of dragon and real greek, ie the title header), but they had a sense of humor about it:

If you aren't familiar with the Eorzean writing, the first and final letters of the first block of text on the right-side page of the book spell out something...

code:
C.....F
T.....H
H.....T
U.....A
L.....G
H.....N
U.....
:lol:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Had a guy who tied a macro to his drawing a card on AST every. single. time. Not pictured is me being told to deal with it by the entire party after telling him it was a bit much.

This isn't tied since each draw is counted as its own ability, he has to have a button for each one. :psyduck:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

and the moral of its story was "don't question the existence of God or magic, this stuff is actually real, silly non-believers."

This is super 100% true and a big catalyst of the Allagan (and subsequent Garlean) campaigns of world domination. Additionally, the war of the Amdapori roused one of these "gods" and they flushed Eorzea like a giant toilet because their wanton use of magic was upsetting them. (Also known as the "Sixth Umbral Era")

It might seem dumb but they are very important aspects to the universe of FF14 :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

:stare:

We almost beat it after only a single cycle last night, how do you even go to four?

Duty Finder is a hellish, apocalyptic landscape.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

Sub 50 armory bonus kind of made up for it I thought.

"Kind of"? It makes it even better than it used to be.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Have any of the lodestone scrapers been updated for HW? I really need to know how much of the active population is playing as Au Ra, because anecdotally it seems really high

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Finally got my horns! :shepface:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

If you're a Tank or DPS and think you'd fit right in on the show American Pickers, we might be the static for you!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You know all those auction shows are fake as hell?

:geno: no poo poo

Emalde
May 3, 2007

https://soundcloud.com/welinestus/alexander-final-boss-no-music-a-little-more-clear

Requesting Jazz remix. :sax:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

:negative: We just had a pair of folks duck out on our static for work-related reasons, so we're looking for some full-time DPS players (and a WAR/DRK) who have aspirations of Savage Alex. Runtimes are Tue,Thur,Fri 9-11PM EST Inquire within!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

big sperma shot posted:

e2: actually w the current opener i sometimes only have 5 mp after b3 as a dunesfolk if i don't have a sch so maybe racial pie is still important

It's less important than it was before currently, the deal is that you need 264 PIE to do Fire>Fire4*3>Firestarter,Convert>Fire4*3>Blizz3, which any race can achieve in 8-man parties (as long as it's not whm/whm healcomp), but only Dunesfolk Lalafell can get inherently outside of that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

Help it has a face... and it's looking at me.

:pilot: :krad:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

I don't know the exact specifics but pbc and dgkk just gave them some fiber to unlock tier 4 ships so other than ship ranks the three fcs are in rough parity right now.

Luck permitting, TPT is roughly a week from Airship 3. Our primary airship is still only lv37, so Sector 14 wont even let us travel there until it's reached 40.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

That Third Party Tools Swag :c00l:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Anyone really hankering for the Realm Reborn soundtrack BR and want to do a cost-split on it? I really want the minion but absolutely don't need any more physical stuff cluttering up my living space.

Willing to go 30(me)/20(you) on it since I'm bad with money anyway. :retrogames:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

3.1 is taking away all glamour restrictions?

It's removing the restriction on multi-slot pieces.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

you might as well not run ACT at all if you do this, as most of its functionality does not properly work without network

I have never encountered another person I interact with that has been able to run ACT without checking "disable network parsing", myself included. :shrug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

This is the best I can do, some gifwiz is going to have to take it to the next step.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Third Party Tools representing the Dusk Leather scene :c00l:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Suitaru posted:

Now I'm watching the multiple-POV clear video and wait a dang minute

has your white mage not unlocked his chocobuddy

World First raiding in 14 involves rolling a lot of alt characters to maximize the gear you're receiving per week.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Congrats PBC/DGKK goons you did it

:negative:

Too soon, Aces! Wait for house transfers to be a thing so we can move TPT in there. I prefer our beach house though

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

Removing AST and PLD would actually do a lot to help the game out because they don't care enough to balance them so they should really remove them as an option as they currently only act as a new player trap.

An issue wherein the description for the astrologian ability Lightspeed mistakenly said it reduces attack magic potency.

If this isn't some hand-waving and it actually was broken for 3 whole months, I'd be inclined think the devs agree with you.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Railgun posted:

I farmed Leviathan EX for roughly four hours a day for five days starting this past Tuesday and ending Saturday watching everyone get dumb horse but me until Saturday.

I got glowy Leviathan weapons for every mage class and started passing on mirrors by like Thursday. I dunno how many people I saw get horse on first or second attempt but sometimes probability just hates you.

I did roughly 40 Leviathan EX a few months ago trying to get the DRK sword for glamour. It never dropped once and I rolled Enbarr on like my 3rd or 4th run. :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

quote:

[21:07]You have successfully charted a new course through the Sea of Clouds! You may now challenge the Diadem (Hard).

Third Party Tools is ready for action. :toot:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

As the Goon Diadem Linkshell is rapidly approaching member capacity within less than a week, feel free to idle in this Discord chat where I will be announcing any organized Diadem NM/HM runs for whatever purpose.

The VOIP is just a bonus I guess if you really care.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

As the Goon Diadem Linkshell is rapidly approaching member capacity within less than a week, feel free to idle in this Discord chat where I will be announcing any organized Diadem NM/HM runs for whatever purpose.

Reposting for the night crew who may have missed this

Emalde
May 3, 2007

GOON DIADEM LINKSHELL IS NOW FULL please refer anybody and yourselves and all other relevant parties to the discord chat

Emalde
May 3, 2007

speaking of diadem here have a writeup http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27596

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Thundarr posted:

If I just wanted to farm for a Pegasus and then abandon the Diadem forever, would it be faster to farm easy mode with a like minded party and rapidly kill rank 1s for chests, or would it still be faster in normal/hard just due to having everybody in one spot slaughtering everything factory style?

Farm Easy mode, AFAIK every single monster will at least drop a bronze with one 150 item in it even on Easy, but I've never actually touched easy myself so I can't say with 100% certainty (logically this would make the most sense though).

In 3.2 if nothing changes re: diadem, this will also hold true for farming for Materia to infuse with.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Send TPT a Kingly Whisker so we can upgrade our dang mailbox :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How do you get 30 wins vs them getting less and still lose on points?

Same way you can see me there in the top 10 without actually having completed all 30 of my matches. :shrug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

quote:

Moreover, the frequency of drops for high level gear is beyond what the development team expected, breaking the balance with other content.

For real? What possible expectations could you have had, then? :what:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

No you won't this is a dumbass goon overreaction

Just because it's too stupid to believe and hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's an exaggeration. These kinds of people 100% exist and you WILL encounter them more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c244625b50b0208675f0a1f7baf9ac67543943ad

code:
Astrologian

Nocturnal Sect
Increased healing magic potency has been changed from 5% to 10%.

Aspected Benefic
Amount of damage nullified by the barrier from Nocturnal Sect has been increased from 130% of HP restored to 170% of HP restored.
The potency of the magicked barrier in PvP areas has been changed to 65% of HP restored.

Aspected Helios
Amount of damage nullified by the barrier from Nocturnal Sect has been increased from 120% of HP restored to 150% of HP restored.

Enhanced Benefic
The effect has been changed to grant a 15% chance that your next Benefic II will be a critical heal.

Stella
Heavy duration has been reduced from 12 to 8 seconds in PvP areas.

Redraw
Recast time has been reduced from 60 to 30 seconds.

Draw
Effect duration has been increased from 15 to 30 seconds.

Royal Road
The range of the area effect granted by Ewer and Spire has been extended from 15 to 20y.

The Balance
The increased damage effect on a single target has been changed from 10% to 20%.
The increased damage effect on a group has been changed from 5% to 10%.
* This increase does not apply in PvP areas.

The Bole
Damage reduction on a single target has been increased from 10% to 20%.
Damage reduction on a group has been increased from 5% to 10%.
* This increase does not apply in PvP areas.

Celestial Opposition
Extended duration of effects cast by self and party members has been increased from 5 to 10 seconds.
:captainpop:

• Locked thread