Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

When the servers come back up, I'll be ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Veks posted:

RIP BLM, we hardly knew you... :smith:

It kinda looks like Enochain will be easy to keep up all the time, so is BLM really in a bad spot? Fire IV is pretty beefy.

Flare nerf is kinda sad, but aside from that BLM seems to be looking good to me.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tarranon posted:

are crafters/gatherers also limited by the 2.55 gate? or can they keep doing their thing

A quick glance at the data mined class quests for crafters and gatherers suggests that Before the Dawn is required to advance beyond the 2.0 stuff.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

tithin posted:

Will level 50 still be the cutoff for the armoury stuff?

If you mean the armory EXP bonus, classes below level 60 get 50% extra, and below 50 it's instead 100% extra, as long as it's not your highest level class.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I dunno about you guys, but I got onto Ultros fine and I'm doing the story quest now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

C'mon last page, I do like to experience the game's story; I interact with the extra random NPCs to see if there's flavorful dialogue, read the quest text, and watch cutscenes. Sometimes I even think of my character as if it exists in the world. But there's really no sense in getting mad about vidya games and jumping all over someone if they're not interested, it's not like he was making big posts complaining about the story, and he doesn't insult your experience by simply existing and not caring for it.

Re: FATEs though, I think part of the problem is that FATEs, if I remember right, scale based on the number of people in the zone doing them. As the zones are very crowded right now, the monsters have a lot of HP and go down slow since only a small portion of the people in the zone are actually in that area doing that FATE, so doing the FATEs probably feels bad. That's what I'm noticing, and my server isn't even as crowded as Excalibur.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

lmao, female au ra retainer with the "Independent" personality says "I-it's not like I want to sell your items or anything" when you summon her

Well when I eventually cave and start paying for a 4th retainer I know what it's going to be now

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ActionZero posted:

Holy poo poo. They made Radiant Shield an AoE party buff!

That has serious potential in phases where the tank takes a lot of hits.

I noticed this when doing low-level roulette and bringing out Ifrit since Garuda is less attractive without Contagion (also noticed Bane affecting more than 3 targets). I quite like it, it at the very least makes the skill not totally useless now.

It certainly seems like Summoner is leaning towards being able to blast through megapulls efficiently now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

On the flip side his attacks are no longer blunt. Supposedly his flaming crush was also changes but I didn't spot the difference

His damage is elemental, so it'll be boosted by magic damage boosters rather than monks. Flaming Crush is 5y radius, which I believe is up from 3y.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Has anyone tried resetting their retainer to DRK/AST? I made a terrible mistake in picking a job that wasn't mine when I first levelled him up to 50, and I hope to rectify this with a 30 level head-start.

Retainers couldn't use job stones last I checked? Has that changed?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think my retainer is having an identity crisis.

(She talks without an accent in every other line, but for this one line she suddenly is getting all Limsa Lominsa on me).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

vanbags posted:

Is this game worth it for someone who exclusively enjoys PvP endgame?

I like storylines and questing, but I have limited interest in raiding.

PvP can be fulfilling according to the people that enjoy it, but the queue times can be long. There are things beyond raiding to do at endgame, though, such crafting/gathering, which is sort of like a separate game that feeds itself. I'm not sure if it'd be worth it for PvP exclusively, but if you could find something else alongside it, maybe?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 21, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

Let's see... summoner and scholar both rule so far while leveling arcanist. Tri-Disaster rocks, Painflare is great, Broil is boss, only thing that really feels lacking is Ruin III, but I get that's for Dreadwyrm Trance when I reach.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Does anyone have any leveling advice for Heavensward content? I started hitting a real wall at the latter end of 55 on my SCH, and I would honestly rather have all of my toenails pulled out than spam leves or something. I have TONS of rested and have been fairly diligently doing sidequests.

Spam dungeons. As a scholar your queues should be short, and dungeons are very good exp when you get a chain bonus (51/53/55/57/59 all have equal level dungeons). Do your roulettes.

When I hit level 57 I took a break from the MSQ and spammed the Vault until I hit 58. Didn't hit a roadblock on the MSQ up until the final quest, and I only needed to do 1 sidequest to earn enough EXP to push me over. If I had to do it again, I would've done the same for every odd-numbered level, just spam the heck out of the dungeon of that level, then go back to the MSQ.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm rather fond of Nymian Marine despite it not being hard to get at all.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

My miner and botanist are sitting at single digit levels, and whenever I think about leveling one of them up I remember slaving away at the horribly tedious grind on launch and still not making it past 20. Is there a more effective/less "I want to kill myself" way to level those? I want to see what endgame gathering is like.

I don't know if the situation has changed since the expansion, but below level 50 the easiest way to level non-fishing gathering classes was via levequests. Keep yourself in at-level HQ gear and go for harder levequests and you'll get lots of exp quick. Use your GC Exp boost scrolls too, I'm practically drowning in GC seals after hitting level 60.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Note that the GC turn-ins are still good EXP that are fairly easy to accomplish even for, say, a level 50 2-star crafter. Of course, there is the daily limit, but I've started turning them in while leveling my second combat class via roulettes and it's fairly steady progress. You get a -lot- of GC seals this way, too, for purchasing ventures/exp scrolls/materials for your airship/whatever.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

pandaK posted:

E: A straight up Beastmaster class that's a blend of Bard and Summoner where you can buff up your beast like hella and make the mad deeps

If there is one thing I was a bit confused about when it came to Summoner additions--and don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Summoner a lot--but it's feeling a lot less like a "summoner" since none of the new abilities had anything to do with our pet. I mean, it's nice what they did with Ifrit's radiant shield, but that was basically turning a useless ability into a fairly useful one. Having a true pet class in the game would be nice, but it's weird that summoner has actually moved further away from the pet and more towards "the dot class".

As for red mage, I basically thought if it went into the game it'd be something like a melee version of Bard, a dps class that offered some buffing/debuffing. I'm not just not sure if "melee bard" is good enough of a concept to go into the game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eej posted:

Not very many Summoners in FF games controlled summons like pets. They mostly called on their power to do a single attack. Besides, channelling Bahamut's abilities is pretty Summoner anyway.

That's fair, but we do have the summons as pets in this game, and a lot of the summoner arsenal is independent of any thematic connection to our summons. Dreadwyrm Trance into Deathflare is good, but I'm still a bit weirded out they basically left egis alone completely.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's because the current egis are already melee dps/ranged dps/tank

egi glamours are allegedly on the way though

I get why summoners didn't get new egis, it's just strange that the egis gained no new abilities and none of the new abilities that summoners get interact with them in any way. It's odd to me that one of the game's major pet classes would move further towards having their pet just be an extra damage source that requires little interaction/upkeep rather than blending the Egi more fully into how the class plays.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Literally the only time a truly pet centric class has ever been fun in an MMO is Masterminds in City of Heroes, and FF14 is not that style of game. So I'm okay with pets being most forgettable ability turrets that mostly serve to make the job lore distinct.

I think they could do some more interesting cooldowns that buff the pet, at least. Something along the lines of Spur and Rouse, but more visually/mechanically interesting. Enkindle on a 2minute cooldown was a small step in the right direction, it's just overshadowed by everything else.

And personally, I enjoyed playing a Beastmaster-specced hunter towards the start of some of the early expansions, and while they don't have to go full-on that route, I think there's room to make the Egis a bit more interesting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Unguided posted:

Also, I'm glad they put Matoya in Hinterlands, that was a great callback.

Not gonna lie, my face lit up when I entered the cave and heard that music start playing. Instantly recognized it even after all these years.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

SS was supposedly buffed by way of making it increase the damage of DOT ticks, but supposedly that change didn't get properly implemented?

Is this confirmed? I'd be kinda upset about that as a summoner since the 170/180 caster gear is loaded with SS and accuracy!

Yoship lied to us :argh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gearhead posted:

Thinking into this a bit more, I'm starting to wonder if Alexander was there the whole time. He wasn't simply summoned DURING that scene.

Perhaps the colony was established to study the shield and what may have been in it.. and as it turns out, it was the Goblin Primal.

And Alexander's awakening is somehow, perhaps, tied into the crap going on in Azys Lla.

Well, going by the official preview...

That Link posted:

Since the Sharlayan exodus, a structure has stood steady against the flow of the Thaliak River. Now, the Illuminati have summoned a primal around this rusting ruin─a terrible colossus of steam and metal. Steel screamed against steel when it rose from the waters, and it drank deep of the land's aether before grinding again to a halt.

The structure was always there, but the preview at least suggests that the primal was summoned by the Illuminati. Of course, who knows what will be ~revealed~ later.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 7, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Patch notes! Of note, I don't see any weapons listed, and all the armor is i190. Some buffschanges to both bard and machinist, particularly Wanderers/Gauss abilities.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 7, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eej posted:

So with 3 turns and 4 Shafts required for a body piece I look forward to all the salt from people rolling on their 1 Shaft for the first week, assuming that all pieces can drop equally in each turn.

There are 4 floors, the final one does not have a map achievement presumably because it is a boss arena. Fist, Cuff, Arm, and Burden of the Father. Burden of the Father is likely a simple boss arena like the final turns of the Binding Coil.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Periodiko posted:

None of those seem like unreasonable criticisms. I'm really surprised by how sparse the endgame for heavensward is, especially given how skeletal the 50-60 experience is. The new zones mostly suck compared to the old ones. The only unambiguously better thing is the main story, and the system changes they inherited from 2.0's patch development.

Between trying to get both my main combat classes to 60 and working on crafting/gathering/hunting on the side along with occasional chain-runs of Ravana Extreme and as of yesterday Alexander, I have found myself rather pressed for time and feeling overwhelmed at all I want to do. I'm still sometimes logging off way later than I planned to without having completed all that I wanted to complete in a given day. As for the content itself, this is miles ahead of running Praetorium/CM for more Darklight/AF2 in terms of enjoyment.

So... not having any issues with the content being too "sparse" as of yet. And I play the game for at least three hours per day, usually longer, though most of my playtime is in the window they've been doing maintenance in lately so it's been less than I'd like.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 8, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There was at least a recent dev post saying they're aware that post-50 FATEs suck and it's an issue they're going to address in an upcoming patch.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On the law note I'm now getting overloaded with law tomes for running Alexander 1-4 three times yesterday each time getting newbie bonuses. Thinking about prepping a set of 170 gear for my retainer for when she reaches 60.

But even just running, say, Expert/Trial Roulette for law and then doing HLDR/LLDR/Main Scenario for alt classes will get you a lot of tomes.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

Urianger:

2.55 had the whole "Urianger with the ascians!" moment. But I don't remember it ever coming up in 3.0. Did I miss some side dialog?

It seems to be more Urianger is consorting with the envoy, or -maybe- just meeting with the envoy (that's an awfully lame post-credits scene if so though), who does not necessarily share all the goals of the other ascians. Whatever it implied, it hasn't come to a head yet.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

And engineering manuals aren't worth poo poo. They give you a max bonus of 40k xp. Not worth the amount of seals they cost IMO.

Between GC provisioning turn-ins and expert deliveries, I rub up against the GC cap so much that a max bonus of 40k exp when grinding out some level 51-54 materials seems pretty good for that rather small amount of seals.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm glad that it seems like the token system for Savage will be more like Ex Primals than normal Alexander. Obviously the specifics could gently caress it up (10 tokens to receive a single piece of gear is too many for a weekly lookout), but it sounds promising.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What are the rules for the armoury chest? I've put my 45/50 job gear into it, and the occasional glamour piece seems to go in, but my inventory is getting full of other things that seem like they should work but don't.

Do you mean the armoire? It's mostly for certain quest-related blue-background gear and most seasonal/event rewards. As well as some other quest-and-GC-related items like the Patriot's Choker for some reason. There aren't hard and fast rules for it though, since last I checked I still had a few pieces of seasonal reward gear that didn't go in (as of 3.0).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

X Factor posted:

Finally made it onto Excalibur and got up to level 10 in the past two days. Any tips for a rookie arcanist?

Make sure to unlock your challenge log in Limsa Lominsa as soon as you can (I think around level 15?). Free EXP for doing things you'll be doing anyway. Keep doing the main story and class quests.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

pandaK posted:

I wonder if the same applies to all the other classes and the new ilvls are just skewed as gently caress

New ilevels definitely are not super consistent. Going from an Yasha Casting Chest to Asuran Casting Chest, 170 to 180, is +3 INT (75 -> 78). Going up to a Gordian chest of casting from Asuran, or 180 to 190, is +8 INT (78 -> 86). I don't know if that's relevant to the point, though, as while a difference of 29 DEX is significant I wouldn't expect dot damage to double.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Givin posted:

I just hit 50 on a new character. Are Mythrite items worth buying from the AH or will the MSQ supply me with gear?

The latter. MSQ will keep you up to date.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They're not going to do anything

I'm not sure about that, I've heard that abusing the votekick feature is something they will punish people for. But you have to report them. When I was votekicked from a party before I even got to say anything other than "Hello" I reported it, and the GM assured me they'd look into it and take action if the players were found to be misusing the feature.

Of course, they weren't on my server, so it's a little hard to verify, but at least the GM didn't give me a canned response. He asked me exactly what happened, I explained, they said what I described was abuse and that they'd look into it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

How would fellow gatherers rate this flowchart?

Probably more complicated than it needs to be.

Fister Roboto posted:

Anyway, get 600 GP and then do Reveal -> Single Mind -> Discerning Eye -> Methodical -> Discerning Eye -> Methodical x2 -> Collect x3

This is the most reliable rotation, though it does assume you get a little over 100 collectability per (unbuffed) appraisal and that you have 600 GP. I've done a lot of different things when under 600 GP.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Doublestep posted:

i mean you use blessing on goods anyway but if it's worse after 6 rip

The way I've usually used Blessing is after setting it up with Great Strides + Innovation and you simply cannot reliably pull off the discount Byregot's in a combo that way. I have it on my bar but I don't think I've ever actually used the ability.

So far I've found a lot of the new crafting abilities to be underwhelming compared to the old standbys, with the exceptions of Precise Touch (which is awesome) and the level 54 class-specific abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It should be noted that the crafting-gathering duality feeds itself nicely even if you're not focused on making gil, creating a similar sort of progression to battle-oriented content. Crafters make gear that is the best gear for crafting and/or gathering, gathering feeds crafting most of its materials and most Disciplines of the Hand create components that are used by another class (blacksmiths make rivets which are often used in leatherworking, goldsmiths forge ingots which are used in blacksmithing, etc), and Alchemists/Culinarians make consumables that are geared towards crafting, gathering, and raid content alike.

I have never once tried to use my crafting skills to actively make gil, but I still enjoy playing what essentially feels to me to be a "second game" that exists in parallel to the group-oriented raid progression content.

• Locked thread