Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
If anyone has questions about anything related to Battlebots, I'd be glad to help out. I've been building bots since 2002, and watching this show just made me feel 20 years old again. :)

That exact sticker is the reason I'm posting here today. I saw it in person at Battlebots, and made a mental note to remember that website (and then lurk for 4 years before registering). If it was good enough for Complete Control, it must be a great website!

iastudent posted:

Why would you design a bot without wheels :psyduck:

I haven't read the rules for this current Battlebots, but you usually get a weight bonus if you have a non-wheeled robot. Son of Whyachi really abused that in Season 3 when the bonus was 50% I think. It barely qualified as a walker then. The rules were changed to be more strict about what a "walking" robot was and the weight bonus was reduced. Honestly I don't think that Wrecks qualifies for the weight bonus under the old rules.

Pakled posted:

Another bot with minibots. Interesting. I'm curious if those'll ever be effective. Were they allowed under the old rules?

Yes. You built to a weight limit, so the sum of your bots must be under. In practice it was never effective. You lose if 50% of your weight is KO'd. If you have two bots each weighing half the limit, you lose if one of them is knocked out. And obviously a, say 120 lb bot would have a really good chance of KOing a 60lb bot. There was a superheavy weight (340lb) bot call The Swarm in the old battlebots that was three roughly equal weight bots, one a lifter, one a pusher and one a spinner, but it never made it to the TV rounds. You saw what happened to the tiny Warrior Clan bot. That thing was completely destroyed, and replacing a bot like that is not cheap.

As a side note, I've personally lost a match to Warrior before. They didn't really explain it in the show, but when the spinning ring gets up to speed, somehow it turns all of that stored energy into powering the flipper. Like the ring comes to a dead stop and the flipper activates with enough force to launch a 240lb bot 6 feet into the air. Possibly causing four separate and independently fatal things to happen to said launched robot. *cough, cough*

Liar Lyre posted:

Anyone remember the one bot from the old series that had a huge hydraulic claw that crushed other bots?

Razer, made by the guys who made Warhead. They don't want to (or can't?) compete with Razer in Battlebots because of the reputation it had in Robot Wars. There might be copyright issues there.

keevo posted:

Is Bronco built by the same people who made Toro because that robot was cool as hell.

Yup. I saw the Inertia Labs guys in the intro.

keevo posted:

Also according to some Reddit user, one of the changes in rules is that flight and non-tethered projectiles is allowed. I don't think any of these bots can fly but god drat this needs to have another season so we can have flying robot battles.

I fought a flying robot once with an antweight bot (1lb). I don't think flying robots will ever do well because they'd be fragile, and you can't properly deliver any kind of real force to the other guy. I supposed a flying robot that could grab the other guy and drop them repeatedly could work in theory, but it'd be really, really hard to pull off in combat. In robot fighting, the dominant position is on the bottom, not the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Tobias Grant posted:

Anyone know the name of the Battlebot that had a massive clown thing on top of it? I want to see that thing get shredded again.

Dr. Inferno Jr.?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Xelkelvos posted:

How effective are flamethrowers though? They make for great spectacle, but how much damage though they really do compared to a spinner or just ramming into another bot?

Not very effective at all. I've never seen a robot lose because their opponent set them on fire. Turns out big metal boxes are great heat sinks. Part of the reason is that you're allowed to shoot flame, but not flaming liquid.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

KungFu Grip posted:

Also am I the only one that thinks the Battlebots arena sucks? The teams controlling the hazards seem not know when to work them. Don't think I've seen those buzzsaws or spikes pop up yet.

I think they said the teams only control the hammer hazards this year? The the guy controlling the other pop-up hazards is only supposed to use them on robots that aren't being aggressive, or are being pushed into the hazards. It's not his job to decide matches all on his own.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm not convinced that the announcers don't record their commentary until after the match. They sound extremely unnatural at all times.

They've always done match commentary in post. It is a lot more noticeable this season though as the commentators are clearly not as good as the old crew.

Panfilo posted:

But on the other hand, this kind of gimps the robot arms race. Previously, I heard some robots had titanium armor, for example. Is it worth it? Expensive per pound, and a bitch to weld, but given the kind of weapons you might be facing possibly worthwhile if you had the money.

Lots of robots have titanium armor though? Any time you see bright white sparks coming off something, that's titanium. Steel makes less bright orange sparks; aluminum and stainless don't spark at all. If you don't care about the cost, titanium is your best bet for armor because it has the highest strength to weight ratio of anything you're reasonably going to want to armor a bot in.

Battlebots doesn't pay people to build robots. You can win money if you place very well, but you'll spent a lot more on your bot by that point. That's one reason some people get sponsors.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Philip Rivers posted:

I'm so sad that WD couldn't self-right. It was tossing Tombstone around the whole time and would have easily won if it got back on its feet. :(

That was more Tombstone tossing itself around, but yeah, WD could have won that match if it was invertable. I can't think of many good reasons to not make an invertable bot, but sadly one of those reasons is "because you need to put your IC engine above the blade due to its size"

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 20, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Philip Rivers posted:

Put a laser tracking system on a quadcopter so that a main bot with a strong unidirectional weapon can always orient itself in the right direction.

There was a bot that did this in 2002, you are allowed to point the targeting laser yourself from outside the ring. I think it has to be an IR beam for safety reasons.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Except the rules forbid explosives, which is what car airbags are.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Whyachi vs multibots has such potential to be an incredible match. I was lucky enough to watch a preseason match in season 5 featuring a powerful spinner vs 3 multibots. (Final Destiny vs The Swarm) Watching a robot get hit by a spinning weapon that weighs more than said robot is...entertaining. One of the Swarm robots in that fight was launched across the area like a bullet.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It'll be nice to see Beta finally, FINALLY fight at Battlebots.

Aphrodite posted:

Did they just have to let the battery run down then, or what?

I kind of remember some spinner breaking free from its robot and spinning on its own unpowered for a couple of minutes during a pause in a match. I thought it was MOE in season 4 but can't find any video or record of it. Because the hit that broke the spinner free also stuck the two robots together, there weren't any bots in the box to nudge the now spinning top of doom, so everyone had to stare at it for a few minutes before it stopped.

MikeNCR posted:

Yeah, from what I recall it took about 45 minutes for the bot to stop.

But did the driver of the working Gemini offer to nudge Invader at all?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Coaaab posted:

You might be thinking of Surgeon General vs. Killerhurtz, but I don't remember them being stuck together.

THAT was it, it was this fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuSWyTK5UE4
The minutes long pause to get the top to stop, and separate the robots was edited out.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Tombstone just seems like the laziest robot ever, it's wheels and a blade. While I don't think the guy should be so smug about minmaxing the system with a 95% weapon robot, it also didn't make sense as to why there weren't 100 copies of his design trying to enter the competition turning it into a competition to see who can break the others blade first.

I understand it might not look like it, but there's a lot of engineering to be done to make a robot like Tombstone. It's far from lazy and might actually be one of the more labor intensive robots out there. Even after a good match Tombstone does a lot of unnoticeable damage to it's own frame, requiring lots of repairs.

I imagine if the new Battlebots seasons keep being successes then someday they might go back to the old system of having a few seeded robots and then a tournament to fill out the rest of the spots from anyone and everyone who's willing to show up. For the people who were there - how long was the filming of this season? Old Battlebots season 5 took a week but I imagine this one was only a few days at most?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe it was just straight battery acid?

No one uses lead-acid batteries that could leak. For one, they're illegal after one robot did leak acid all over the floor in an early season of battlebots; you are allowed to use sealed lead acid batteries, which use a stabilized gel instead of liquid inside. But the main reason is that lithium batteries have the best performance per pound than any other battery chemistry by far. I've seen a lot of lipo fires before but drat, I've never seen smoke that thick and dense from one.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

JT Jag posted:

What if you used a hammer with a spike in the middle of the head? It'd use the force of the hammerblow to drive the spike into the opposing bot and do some damage.

The problem is if you miss and poke a hole in the floor, like The Judge used to do when it debuted. The organizers don't like it when you do that. It falls under some generic "can't do excessive damage to the arena" rule, which does neuter most hammerbots.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm just some guy with no mechanical engineering / physics background but wouldn't making ringmasters chassis out of one piece of metal like that cause problems if it were ever seriously damaged and became warped?

Having it milled out of one piece of metal makes it less likely to be seriously damaged or warped in the first place, but yeah, it would be a worry.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmZmc_-39A

Yup, I'm excited for that, then! RIP goon bot.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Oh my God Donald Trump shut up I just want robots to start fighting. West coast feed :(

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
About that Razorback fight - Always find all of the stable resting points of your robots, 'cause it's gonna happen. A friend posted these on facebook a few weeks ago, and I was reminded of them:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13490865_251596575220212_7806197255222614866_o.jpg
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13528301_251596541886882_8049494533162636379_o.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm curious why Tombstone didn't start the match upside down. Bombshell couldn't get its weapon low enough to hit the chain then, right? And Tombstone would have been the perfect height to hit Bombshell's weapon pod.

• Locked thread