Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CapnBry posted:

I just installed and played Forza Apex (why not it is free!) and what the bloody hell, the force feedback and steering in that game are amazing. Not only can you feel the road and tell before you start to slip, the car doesn't become a hot oversteering mess the instant the wheels start to give. In Horizons 3, if ever I hear the chirp of a tire breaking loose, forget it, I am going sideways into the woods. With an xbox controller I do great in both. How can the two games be so different in their wheel implementations in that one is completely unusable and the other is everything I want it to be?

I can barely even drive down the road with the wheel in FH3, and racing is impossible without a million rewinds. Apex is great right with the default settings, is there a way to make Horizons work the same way?

Yeah I've noticed the steering feels more squirrelly in FH3 than Apex. Granted, I kind of expect that from my Koenigsesgesgegegsegsegg Regera, but not from a rally car. Then again, I'm also a big dumb babby who still uses automatic transmission (and should really practice more with manual), and my garage is a hot mess of the ultimate edition's free cars, a bunch of classic/modern muscle and a smattering of offroad/buggy/barn jobs. Also, in hindsight this has nowhere near enough stickers, spoilers or lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Now if only I understood the first thing about classes, upgrading and tuning. About all I know at this point (coming into this from mostly arcade racers, a few hours of Apex and a few hours of PCars) can be mostly broken down into:
"tyre compounds look like a good idea but everything else is better value for class number:effect"
"handling > *"
"soften the rear sway bar a bit"
"don't floor the brake"
"be done braking before you enter the curve, accelerate out of the apex"
"e-brake is for chumps"
"I am a scrub and won't be able to drift until I get the hang of manual transmission"
"do not use the auto-upgrader"
"I could sit and Roxbury to Ingrid is a Hybrid all day"
"lol I paid $100 for this"

I enjoy the game a lot and it's definitely scratching my itch in a different way than PCars. I just think I need to git gudder.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 12, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Obligatory Pursuit Special post

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

jonathan posted:

It's odd to see my good friend's gamertag racing with me even though he died of cancer recently.

:smith:

Sorry you lost your friend, man. Been there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

Is this the Forza Horizons thread as well?

Sure is. I went through a similar "where the gently caress is it" moment in the days leading up to me buying FH3.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

Caravans?

...Caravans!

(I'm joking :( )

A Top Gear-esque caravan lawndarts mode would be amazing

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I know the easiest way to find your Horizon Edition cars is to just scroll really fast through the list looking for the HE bonus indicators but is there a way to filter for them?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crap Third Street Saints livery for my newly acquired hearse. Text entry instead of single letter placement would be so much easier

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I spent way too long doing this. What's wrong with me? :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zip! posted:

The way I sorted mine (and my Online cars) was to just make them favourites, that way you can filter on them and at least then you only have 8 or 9 cars to flick through instead of 100s.

Yeah I noticed that option earlier. Now my Horizon editions, cop car and Main Force Patrol V8 Interceptor are more accessible than ever.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Falken posted:

What is the club name anyway?

The tag's GRRC if I'm remembering correctly. I haven't played for a week or so but plan on doing so more in the near future. Also, I taught myself to drift (poorly :( ) in an El Camino last time I played. I'm still a total scrub when it comes to manual gearboxes but I'm trying to get better.

I may be talking poo poo seeing as the videos above me have GRC but I could have sworn I was in GRRC with a bunch of other goons.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 10, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thanks for clarifying that.

Also, I gather the Forza Motorsport series is more simulation-y than the Horizons ones?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know if the driving physics are the same but I wish they combined the two so we could drive to the FM6 tracks. Also it's about time some one made Deals Gap in an open world driving game.

That kind of answers my question inadvertantly, though I should have asked the question more eloquently.

edit: Actually bothering to google-fu it, from what I'm reading, yeah the FM games are more "professional motorsport career" like Project Cars, Dirt, GRID, etc.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 10, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ethanol posted:

Forza horizon grc seems like it might have a lot of non goons in it

at least the Xbox gamertag associated with my email address has LLJK in it so people know I'm a goon.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It sounds as though there are infinitely less reasons to exclaim "strewth" and "crikey" in FH2 while acting like a half-drunk, tweaking bogan.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR HE just will not behave for me, at all, and I have no idea how to tune it so first gear isn't four seconds of redlining until I hit 40 unless I drive like a grandma until then. 2nd isn't much better, exceeding about 50% acceleration means I'm redlining and wheelspinning until I hit 80.

I'll double check and make sure I didn't download some crap tune package, but I'd like to learn how to tune what, and why, in general and not just for the SRT10

edit: Yeah there was some third party tune applied that put it in the X class.

and in other news I just yoinked a drift boost Ford Focus HE for 260k.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I paid $99 for FH3 and I can't drive hypercars worth a poo poo, especially with a manual gearbox :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

My fave Class is C and B. It's much more fun racing when everyone is going slow :shobon:

Yeah I've actually had the most fun with B, C and D class vehicles so far. I think partly it's because the handling for my car seems to sit more around the same as the drivatars, whereas in the higher classes I can gently brake just a little at the same part of a curve's entry as every other car but they all somehow manage a tighter turn radius and much faster post-apex recovery, even if they're in the exact same car.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ethanol posted:

In the us the season pass includes the dlc cars. The expansion packs are knocked down $10 for ultimate edition owners but you still have to pay for them.

I somehow came to the erroneous assumption that the season pass was included in the UE because it had everything else in it. Oh well. I'm at 8,500 reward points on Bing right now and $5 windows store codes are 3,500 points, $10 for 7,000. Season pass for $15? Yes please. I think all told this past few months I've redeemed ~$70 across the windows store and Amazon while looking up random stupid poo poo on the internet.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ethanol posted:

the season pass is in the UE but the season pass includes the dlc cars, not the expacks

I'm used to season pass in the EA/Ubi sense of the term, expansions inclusive. That's what threw me.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ethanol posted:

well before it happens you should know the season pass only includes 6 months or so (can't remember exactly) of car packs, anything after that will cost more money

MiKKKro$haft is loving us again

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Paints are available that cater to all sorts of sordid tastes you might have.

I have yet to find SHITTINGDICKNIPPLES.jpg but this is true. I even have a nifty Skeletor paintjob on one of my Mazdas.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mr.PayDay posted:

Thank you for answering like every question I had. :glomp: Despite the hardly transparent but loving expensive pricing model and wild DLC structure I think I gonna buy this. Your TDU2 reference convinced me.

As someone who enjoyed TDU2, I do wholeheartedly recommend this game. Ubisoft's The Crew has more options for aftermarket bodymods (and turning cars into monster trucks), but FH3 is an embarrassment of riches where car choice itself is concerned. There's everything from a hearse, the Mad Max v8 Interceptor (1974 Ford Falcon XT, there's even interceptor/MFP liveries, see below), there are ATVs, the Reliant Robin (the 3-wheeler below, with the 80s British sitcom livery I did), the Gurkha, the Halo Warthog, rally legends like the Lancia Stradale, a Rolls Royce, the most awesome 80s supercar ever (Lamborghini Countach), more classic muscle cars than you could shake a Vin Diesel at and oh so much more.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mr.PayDay posted:

:allears: :shepspends:
Allright, just bought FH3 UE for 99 Euro, Expansion Pass for 25 Euro and the Map Unlock for 3 Euro.
50 GB downloading now and finally a moving moment to deinstall TDU2 :rip:

Oh yeah, when I say hearse, I mean "I spent an hour in the vinyl creator making a lovely fleur de lys for this monstrosity"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Well I was going to try finishing Witcher 3 today but now I'm going to have to fire this up instead

edit: aaaaaand got it. Chumping street racers in the Class 10 feels good.

I also just bumped up to highly skilled difficulty, and my first race was the Skyline View Circuit, raining like a motherfucker, in the #199 WRX VT15r. That was one tense, slidey loving race

Goddamn the Gurkha gives no fucks and will happily push another car in front of it sideways while doing a buck ten :stonk:

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 17, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

that is a sexy little minx

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Most of my Ferraris and Lambos come from spins but at level 50 the amount of 2000 or 7000 spins I've landed instead of HEs or other cars has been ridiculous

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

welp, attempting to play this via steamlink failed horribly. I was able to (partially) navigate the menus but could not control the car. Then there's the rigmarole to even get the shortcut in Steam to begin with, which took some google fu and faffing around with creating a shortcut to something else then overwriting the launch path and whatnot with the string someone else had found. Very disappointed :(

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

my stats posted:

Average number of collisions per race: 15

I prefer to think of it more like sensual grinding.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Today was just not my day on Blizzard Mountain. For some reason all driving skill I possessed apparently took an xmas vacation and I found myself riding the bottom end of the board no matter the vehicle I drove.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I panicked for a minute there while the game loaded so I could check. Back to The Grand Tour on amazon with relief in my pants.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

oh yes indeed it does

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I put this down a couple of weeks ago after getting frustrated with the utter bullshit supernatural grip and control that other drivatars have on snow when you select any difficulty above average. Came back to have some fun in the snow and git gudder and it just boggles my mind how cheaty it feels. Take the hill jump cross country sprint up in the top left of the map. It defaults to extreme offroad, and I tried several times to race it using the two cars I had in that class, the Ford F100 Flareside Abatti and the RJ Anderson #37 Polaris, but even tweaked, they control like I've suddenly put away a bottle of moonshine and a generous measure of GHB while the opponent cars hurtle round snowy corners and over ice like they're on asphalt a good ten to fifteen miles an hour faster than I can take those same curves. So, I said gently caress it, turned traction and stability control back on, dropped the difficulty (which felt disheartening in and of itself) and hopped in my Subaru #199 WRX STI VT15R, which at least had the ability to steer and accelerate without deciding I wanted to go sideways.

tl;dr :mediocre: and nice meltdown

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

L_Harrison posted:

These trucks are generally pretty poo poo to race with, unless you convert them to AWD. That goes for anything in A class or higher really, for Blizzard Mountain.

Yeah I sort of got the feeling they were pants, that's why I went back to the Subaru. I've been slinging the Gurkha round without snow tyres too.

edit: I'd also like to say how insulting the 2000, 5000 and 7000 credit results are on wheelspins. Almost every time a HE car pops up in a wheelspin for me I end up hitting between the 2k/30k result. Rarely I'll hit 50k/75k/100k, and even when the cars on the wheel are crap it's a miracle when I land one. I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of credits on buying additional spins, it's nuts. I get wanting to draw the content out and people wanting to feel lucky when they do land a decent result, but come on. Out of the last fifteen wheelspins since I started playing tonight, 80% of them have been on the paltry end.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 11, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Norns posted:

Or just get a wheel cuz it makes every racing game 100 times more fun.

Horizon 3 wheel feel isn't as good as FM6. And both feel bad compared to PC Sims. Still super fun.

Seeing as I've been playing a lot more racing games recently I have been thinking about a wheel. In particular, playing PCars with a controller was an exercise in Lament Configuration level suffering.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

The ai is poo poo. But you can earn good money by doing rivals without having to worry about it. Just bang out the races you need to progress on easy.

Yeah I've decided to be more flexible with the drivatar difficulty setting rather than smashing my face into a wall repeatedly while doing BM content. I'll start doing rivals more too, as mostly I've left it alone but if the money's better then I'm all over it.

I agree with whoever it was that said D and C class are more fun than A/S1/S2 too. While blistering, eye-boggling speed is without a doubt fun, hurling the slower cars around is a much richer experience.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ethanol posted:

Wow dick move expiring the ultimate pass discount on the expansions

Just do hundreds of pointless bing searches then turn them into free MS Store gift cards but yeah that's a total dick move.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My i5 4670k/960GTX runs it fine on ultra at 1080p locked to 30fps.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

easily done. I was getting between 45 to 57 with dips lower than that with it set to 60 and just didn't bother spending any time tweaking the settings, though AA and AO reductions would probably have it sitting stably at 60. I'll try tweaking it back up to 60 next time I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hooning around the outback as Dies Irae blares out during a rainstorm is definitely the fun way to skill up

• Locked thread