Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Personally, I was enterained initially, but the more I talked to my friend the more dumb the movie became. Also, when I say entertained I don't mean how it was intended to sometimes. Like twice the entire theater laughed scenes that were meant to be serious. The CGI was terrible my opinion. A lot of the cast acted dumb and had no character. I feel the Revelation about the Xenomorph is terrible and kind of ruins the concept of the creature. Overall, I'd say it was an OK movie. Like a solid 6 out of 10. It was worth the price of admission. However, it was no alien or aliens. More than a little disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Which scenes?

The flute scene whenever they said innuendo and the ship scene with neomorph. In the later, they laughed when the blonde chick slipped and when she accidentally blew herself up.

Edit: Also when the guy was tricked into looking into the facehugger.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think its safe to assume that wasn't really the Engineer home-world, but rather another seeded world not unlike Earth. When David's Engineer ship arrive the dudes on the planet appear to be in a state of religious awe, like the gods have returned to them. They also looked a little different from Prometheus' Engineers.

Those all seemed intentionally humorous to me. Not sure why they wouldn't be. Especially David's double-entendres.

I'll give you the David scene, but I don't think gaffawing was the intent of the others.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also why did all the f****** Xenomorphs reach maturity in like 10 seconds? Like it took no time at all. Also that one guy was facehugged for like 2 seconds and still chestbursted. I don't know that was just weird to me. But seriously why did they all reach maturity so fast?

It actually reminded me of Alien versus Predator in that way. In that, the aliens just mature stupidly fast.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

To emphasize that they don't kill because they need nourishment to grow, they kill for the sake of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't get that vibe. It just felt kind of sloppy. Like I'm not a stickler for Cannon or what have you but it does feel inconsistent with the other movies. Like a Facehugger had a be on that guy for a day in the original. And the alien took quite a while to mature in the original. It just seems weird when that doesn't happen in the sequel. Call it what you will but it does make you go what when it happens.

Honestly, I didn't feel it made them seemed more ruthless. It just felt weird. Like he forgot how it worked in the original.

Covok
May 27, 2013

As a follow-up, I might be harsh on the film unfairly. The person I saw it with was constantly talking during the movie about how much he found it funny or thought it was stupid. The theater was the same way with their reactions and constant talking. Seriously, everyone was cracking jokes and saying things like "don't go in there." I'm not used to seeing films in the city and prefer how my small town remains respectfully quiet during a movie.

That could have have colored my perceptions. Might need to rewach it on DVD once too really examine it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

RedSpider posted:

Prometheus was in 2094. Covenant is in 2104.

David has 18 years to get those eggs on LV 426.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Throwing this out here to all the "David didn't neccesarily make the alien" people, but it's really loving clear that's the intention of the movie. Like, come on, I'm a Star Wars fan: this reeks of post PM mitachloriam denial.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

It didn't explain what those planets where? Those plants made aliens cause of black goo and a mad robot? He might of found the eggs also.

He pretty much explictly says he created those eggs and that the spores were a previous attempt. This isn't obsfucated in any capacity: he literally says he made them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

How did he make the eggs without a queen? Added a poop function?

One word:bio-enigneering.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

On the same coin, it's really loving clear that the Derelict and Space Jockey are intended to be ancient. :)

Retcons happen, especially when a director returns to work after like 50 years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plavski posted:

In the original Alien: Engineers script, David breaks his programming by learning the Engineers language which is "trinary". It's a bit funky, but it's at least some explanation for why he doesn't obey Asimov's laws anymore.

I figure it's something like HAL's broken programming in 2001 - there was a logical breakdown somewhere when he started questioning who his makers were and why they were such pieces of crap.

In A:C, there is cut scene where Walter point out David would not have received proper maintenance for over 10 years. Daniel's then it says "what does that mean?" To which Walter replies "we're going to find out."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plavski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxjM2yiNO0

this is it in isolation i think, no source tho

This isn't Alien Isolation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Biomute posted:

The RLM review is out and they agree with us "fear of the unknown" is better types, so you all can stop arguing about it now.

Who gives a flying gently caress about RLM? Get this poo poo out of here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Anyone heard anything, or have any takes on the meaning of "I saw the devil when I was ten, and I never forgot him" ?

Seems almost like there was some other dialogue from earlier that was dropped in editing, that would have explained this.

I 100% believe there was supposed to be a B plot about the Captain's faith, how he obtained it, and his crew actually not trusting him for it, but it was dropped for time. Maybe the obligatory director's cut will restore it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Just saw Covenant. Crazy to live in a world where Aliens is the fourth best Alien film

I would say Covenant was still better than Alien Resurrection. Resurrection feels like an obligation, a tag-on, an attempt by a corporation to get water from a stone. Covenant felt like it wanted to be something more than just a paycheck. It felt like the director had ambitions for it. That he wanted to make a statement. I feel he ultimately didn't hit that mark, but I did feel it a little. I thought the scene between David and Walter was way too much, but it at least felt like he was trying to say something. The scene in beginning with the android questioning its maker felt well-done. And, as much as I hate how they explained the Alien, the scene where David reveals why he did it felt like it was trying to be something. What I'm saying is that it felt like someone who passion in making something more than just a monster flick which I can respect. Resurrection feels like a monster flick. Nothing wrong with monster flicks, but they are kind of dime-a-dozen things made off a formula to make a company a quick buck.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If Disney didn't make copyright law loving insane in the 90s, Alien would be public domain by now and anyone could use the Xenomorph and the characters in their movies, books, comics, videogames, etc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I refuse to read any further back than 4 pages for this bad movie, but i wanna know: is there any explanation for why david has eggs but no queen? it seems so obvious but I cant imagine even bad-Ridley messed that one up.

Uh, he made the eggs. It's the famous question. What came first? The chicken or the egg? In this case, the egg that David made himself from the black goo. Presumably, a queen can be made from that stock. Or, perhaps, from a later stock after David finishes the creature.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

For the record I really like prometheus, and resurrection for that matter. I like the idea of Alien as a showcase for different directors and their styles, with the first movie as an inspiration, a lot more than it being a continuous plot and another nerd universe.

It's too late for that for the nerds pervert all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Huzanko posted:

I don't understand people being upset that Prometheus was not Alien. How many times do people want to watch the same movie over an over? Given that no one seems to like the Alien portions of Covenant, apparently not very many times.

I want to see MORE of this setting, not the exact same: "humans encounter xeno -> humans dumb -> alien ravages xeno -> surprise xeno is still around at the end -> repeat forever" loop.

:shrug: Not saying you're right or wrong or they're right or wrong, but nerds tend to re-watch the same movie 1 billion times in their lifetime. How many people have bragged about watching Star Wars over 1000 times?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

The xeno isn't good or bad, that's part of what makes it scary, and why Ashe considers it a "perfect organism". If you took a wild lion and set it loose inside an office building, the fact that it eats some people wouldn't make it good or evil. It simply eats because that's what it needs to do to survive.

It represents life at its most basic level, which is a very scary thing.

To put it another way: "many things seem evil when you're on their menu. Or did you think your bacon loves you?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Huzanko posted:

Yes but you don't need a movie remade several times in order to rewatch it.

Nerds basically ruin everything with their obsessive behavior, is what I'm saying.

Not going to disagree with that, but, then again, "Special Edition", "Premastered Edition," "Blu-Ray version."

Let's be real here: the world would be better if Copyright Law was set back to 20 years so these studios couldn't just endlessly turn out the same garbage over and over again and would have to be more like pharmaceutical companies who are constantly research and developing new things because their old stuff is in the public domain.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Are we just ignoring the fact that the Xenomorph is hilariously flawed because it burns through its food/procreation supply in a month in Aliens? Like, we can say he's biological life boiled down to his essence, but he sure acts like pretty stupid life. He just kill/eat/gently caress everything nearby him with no regards for sustainability.

Huh, having said that, though, what usually limits other organisms is just the effort it takes to hunt. The xeno is just what happens when you introduce a sufficiently advanced creature into an environment without natural competition or predators. I guess I kind of rescind my statement a tad: it's just acting like we all do when nothing is stopping us, in a sense. Just consume, consume, consume.

Huzanko posted:

I don't think you understand what I was saying.

I am saying that wanting Promethus to be like Alien is stupid because Alien and the sequels which are iterations on the same original story themselves already exist.

It is cooler and better to see different parts of the Alien setting than to see the first movie retold forever.

I am not saying people have to like Prometheus but for the chief complaint to have been that it was not Alien or Aliens is pretty stupid and pretty typical of nerds.

Well, that's what I'm saying it'd be better if people were free to explore stories as they wished and studios weren't dragging out old IPS and forcing them to be "safe." We'd get those different snapsnots on the Alien universe by many different writers with different perspectives if the Alien was allowed to be like Dracula or Frankenstein. Unfortunately, corporations own the United States.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

It's a creature outside of it's natural environment--whatever the hell that actually is.

I actually do acknowledge that in the second part of that post.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Phi230 posted:

See, with this state of mind, now we can entertain the idea that the Alien is scary because somewhere there are things much worse that makes the Xenomorph fit into a natural habitat

Not necessarily. It's "natural" environment could be one where creatures have evolved skins that are impervious to their acid so they can use pretty mundane natural weapons against it without fear.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Most of the cosmic horror in Lovecraft is the discovery that there's nothing special about upper-class Anglo-American culture and that everyone probably has some non-white and/or lower class ancestry. As a result, mankind will revert to the worship of Old Gods and society revert to racist caricatures of tribal Africans. All of humanity is equated with black people with the discovery that humanity was created to be the slaves of an ancient alien race.

The stuff about non-Euclidean geometry is funny because any three dimensional surface has non-Euclidean geometry. It's just the protagonist encountering the fact that the value of a classical British education had dwindled to nothingness in the face of actual science.

An amoral universe which doesn't care about humanity? How is that horrific compared to the fact that our own society is already amoral and uncaring?

On the subject of Euclidean geometry, is Euclidean geometry hogwash or what? I know it is outdated for 3 dimensional shapes, but my friend always feels the need to put on that "smug nerd voice" if I throw the baby out with the bath water.

Schwarzwald posted:

My mistake! Sorry if I kind of jumped on you.

You're point about the alien "just acting like we all do when nothing is stopping us, in a sense. Just consume, consume, consume." is pretty interesting when you consider how Ash says its a "perfect organism" "unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

The company man thinks the perfect form of life is a voracious consumer that doesn't stop to consider ethics.

One could take the Xenomorph as the encapsulation of all of mankind's ill: selfishness, consumption, rape, murder, etc, etc. It is everything wrong with society and, to a corporation, it is then the "perfect organism." Something that just consumes and preserves itself with no greater thought.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Of course, Lovecraft was unemployed and dying of shame when he wrote most of his most famous work. He just externalized the experience of capitalism onto racial theories and actual science.

Sounds like he was suffering from the same "economic anxiety" that many modern Americans claim they have.

Covok
May 27, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

"Why did you create us?"

"Because we could."

*looks disappointed*

I mean, isn't that why we all exist? It's not like our parents made us for any other reason then they could. We all exist just because two people said "we could make a child so lets do so." That's the default state of existence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Why is every Alien special edition better than the theatrical? Why not cut it right the first time?

Covok
May 27, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Only Alien 3 is better than the theatrical.

I am currently watching the theatrical release of Aliens because that's what Amazon Prime gives you and I'd say it's pretty weaker than the Special Edition.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The original theatrical cut has better pacing and removes scenes that are strictly unnecessary and detract from the whole. The addition of pre-Marine colony content tends to drag it down and removes tension from scenes for a first-time viewer. The special edition is better for a rewatch but for a first-time viewer the theatrical cut flows better.

I agree with this assertion. Seems well-thought out and makes sense. Encapsulates the situation very well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I will never understand this myself. Like I saw Aliens in theaters and no one on earth was thinking "oh yeah they haven't shown any Aliens yet, I guess Burke's probably right and it's just a downed transmitter even though the movie is called Aliens and this is the footage that made me go to see it."

I actually prefer the pre-Marine colony scene being there because it drives home the inherent maliciousness of corporations in an overkill way that is pure Cameron but also perfect for the series as a whole. You get a glimpse of the society that Burke happily, proudly, and immediately destroyed to make sure he gets a bigger share without a second thought. It makes those last scenes with Burke much stronger.

At the same time, the theatrical version does flow better overall. I think we all have ideal versions in our mind between the two iterations of each of these four movies that have bits of each.

I 100% agree the pre-marine colony scenes add to the experience. What better to get across the human tragedy then knowing for a fact and seeing for ourselves happy families living their lives? Really makes the Aliens and Burke, especially, seem more monstrous.

Also, that trailer makes me think the complaint that "the trailers nowadays give away the entire movie" is just old people forgetting how things were in the past.

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody thinks they aren't going to see the alien but the mystery and gradual reveal of the colony is a big part of the segment. You're given small hints and the actual outcome is gradually revealed and the first living human you see is Newt. It's actually an excellent job of building up tension despite everyone watching knowing what the mystery's answer. The set design, directing and even prop design (the motion trackers) all work fantastically and having Newt being the first and only living human connection to the colony tends to give her more weight.

I don't think the colony scene is bad but it works against the "The marines explore the abandoned colony" buildup.

You do make a good point there as well. It is well built up. Kind of set a standard or, at the very least, I've seen some rip-offs go for the same approach. So, I suppose the successfulness of the tension build-up can't be denied.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 23, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hope this doesn't seem like a sudden change in subject, but has anyone ever examined some of the scripts that were floating around for Alien 3? Some were pretty out there. Like, monks on a wooden planet and an ancient religious book telling you how to remove the alien. Others had things like the space soviet union fighting the space USA with the Alien basically becoming the thing. One was just some pure shlock about the military trying to tame the alien. One was also set in a prison, but was a completely new cast. Most seemed like they were trying to not use Sigourney Weave. Possibly because her appearance in Alien cost 1 Million USD in 1980 dollars, I guess.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Just think, we're currently in a world where there's a non-zero chance of Danny McBride headlining an Alien movie.

Tennessee is going to be a cameo like Elizabeth shaw with a chestbuster sized hole in his now gaping chest cavity.

Mike N Eich posted:

I hope every film in this Prometheus sequel ends with a plucky women with short hair being (one of) the sole survivor(s) and then being unceremoniously killed off-screen before the sequel and replaced with a virtual clone of herself

There's almost no way the next film doesn't begin with Daniels either dead, or infected with a chestburster

Like, this seems more with what the studio is going for: David is the only recurring character and the rest get reset each film.

Baronjutter posted:

I read through the space soviet one and it was real real bad. Get this: they made the xeno's infect you with spores in the air and they'd explode out of your back nearly fully grown.

I wouldn't say any of them were that great, really.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Ripley's daughter scene is important to me in Aliens. Also payed homage by Scott in Covenant! :v:

Of course, otherwise Alien: Isolation does not exist. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I was thinking about getting an AvP game on Steam. What are the thread's thoughts on the Aliens Vs Predator Classic 2000 compared to the 2010 AvP game?

I'm sure I will play as all three characters at some point, but I am mainly interested now in playing as the Marine. I did play the 2000 game, but it has been ages. I'm wondering how the graphics hold up today, and how the USCMC campaign in it stacks up to this more recent 2010 version.

Here is my advice from experience. AVP Classic is okay, but it hasn't aged too well. Also, facehuggers are super insta-kill.

AVP 2 is the best of the three but the studio who made it went under so its hard as gently caress to get. Which sucks since it really does have the best human campaign of all three. The expansion pack wasn't too hot, though.

AVP 2010 is good in its own way. It's not a stand-out modern fps, but its serviceable. You'll really be playing it for the Alien and Predator campaigns which benefit greatly from the increased graphical fidelity. It feels much more satisfying to rip someone's head off as a trophy as the Predator in glorious 1080p. Ditto on being the Alien.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

In order to soothe the thread, let's have the dumbest poo poo ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtYDb7YaJ4

Haven't even started the video yet, but isn't this guy somewhat hated for allegedly making up poo poo to complain about. Like, I remember a lot of people getting on his case over a couple of his videos misrepresenting some movies either through intentional misrepresentation or error on his part.

Edit: Oh dear God, he's an idiot. Aerodynamics don't matter in space! Ripley was wearing a shirt! The loving pasties were there to monitor their heart rate! This is basic poo poo that you can infer from watching the movie!

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 23, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Not even totally directed towards you. I'm just bored as gently caress about the standard Alien series opinions. "FIRST TWO GOOD. REST BAD." I GET IT! J

What if all of the movies are bad? What if none of Alien is good? *adjusts fedora*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

A big part of this is the fact that Lovecraft did not see himself as a person who could handle a cold uncaring universe where there is nothing special about white Anglo-American culture.

The key to understanding this is his friend and correspondent, Robert E. Howard. Howard's stories took place in a similar universe to Lovecraft's, but his protagonists, most famously Conan the Barbarian, were too busy heroically defying fate and circumstances to go insane. Faced with a Lovecraftian horror, Conan would fight it and probably win. And if he didn't? Every man dies.

I mean, arguably, Howard's protagonists were already insane, but the point is that that certainly didn't stop them.

Can we slow down for just one second? I never knew that the Conan Barbarian novels took place in the same universe as lovecraft's horror stories. That is very interesting! The Thematic implications of that both in the narrative and out of the narrative is astounding. It's just like how you pointed out. It speaks the difference between the authors. Lovecraft is nihilistic and Views and uncaring universe with despair. Howard is humanistic and Views and uncaring universe with a mixture of apathy and optimism about the strength of humanity. It really changes my entire View on the two series of books. Wow you learn something new everyday.

I just want to make a quick point on topic. Why is everyone acting as if Prometheus and alien Covenant is in any way a commentary on nerd culture or the nature of an audience to want explanations? It's easier to see that the movies are about Mankind search for meaning and the burden and implications of creating life. I suppose you could take it in the direction that some are but it does seem very ancillary to the actual subject of the movies. I think questions like why do we exist?, who made us?, and what does it all mean?, are Universal questions and the expiration of a crew of scientists who uncover a disturbing version of the answers is simply a science fiction story, a very common one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Do we already have a thread to discuss Conan the Barbarian? Especially how it relates to the time period and how it relates other contemporary works? If not I'll just make it this is an interesting discussion best saved for another thread where it isn't getting in the way of Alien chat.