Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

davidspackage posted:

I missed the shot of the queen bursting from Ripley and her grabbing it as she falls into the furnace, in the longer cut. I feel that's pretty iconic of the ending, and I don't really get why they took it out.

I know at least in this cut, "Bishop" at the end has a bleeding head and a hosed up ear from getting smacked in the head, does the theatrical cut make it more ambiguous what he is?

Because Ripley has her arms out in a cross at the end (Actually, I have no idea). I could have sworn that the whole Bishop is human thing is in both cuts.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I have to pick that up at some point. I held off because I didn't have a PS4 and it didn't look quite worth it at the full $60 price. Now that I have a PS4 and the game is cheaper I have no excuse.

It's a pretty good game, but after a while, some of its shortcomings become really annoying. Like sometimes the Alien just will not go the gently caress away from an area that you have to be in for a mission objective, and really your only recourse is to wait since all your other alternatives usually result in the Alien coming back in about 30 seconds and much more inquisitive this time.

As for the Blomkamp Alien film, it just feels cheap to me. I don't think Ripley and Hicks story is a story that needs to be retread. Especially Hicks, who is a pretty boring character overall. But maybe Blomkamp will just kill them off within the first 30 minutes of the movie.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

What do we actually know about the new Alien 3 other than it being more "familiar" vs the actual wonderful Alien 3? So far all I've read is Blumpkin assuring everyone it will be a familiar normal rehash of the things the fans like/want and not at all like that terrible weird movie that was Alien 3 that he's excited about erasing.

I think it is going to align with Prometheus a little bit and apparently the title is supposed to be pretty bold. But I think that really is all we know. I am just curious as to where they are going to take Ripley and Hicks since I thought the particular plot strand from Aliens was over.

Maybe Blomkamp will troll everyone by killing off Ripley and Hicks and have the film star Lance Hendrikson for the rest of the runtime. It will be Lance Hendrikson playing as himself and not Bishop.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

For me, the most interesting and unsettling part of Alien didn't even make it into the movie at all. The part where Brett is turning into an egg. You can sort of see what resembles a human figure, but it's mostly just a mess, and while it's not gory, it is disgusting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

The whole "predators built all ancient buildings that were bigger on the bottom than top, look, they're ALL bigger on the bottom than the top!! ALIENS!" was so eye-rollingly stupid even Giorgio Tsoukalos would be embarrassed. Anyways, surprised to hear defense of AvP:R in this thread! Does anyone have anything good to say about Alien 4 other than ron pearlman is in it?

The underwater scene with the Aliens is pretty baller. That's really all I remember about it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I kind of want to see it over again and watch it from SMG's perspective. I had never really noticed that on my first and only viewing of the movie and I think it is kind of funny that the movie pretty much takes place in small town America.

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes the people defending very bad alien movies remind me of this interview with Randy Pitchford who made a very very bad alien game but absolutely can't admit it's bad because like nothing is bad it's all like subjective, man, who's really to say.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-23-an-hour-with-randy-pitchford

I think Aliens: Colonial Marines is pretty much the movie you would have ended up with if you felt like the Marines didn't get enough screen time in the original Aliens movie. The game is a loving mess even when you ignore the technical problems and simply focus on the environments, the plots, the themes. It feels like they saw that a lot of people liked Aliens and then just forgot all of the baggage that went along with the movie.

Also, the decision to bring back Hicks and the way they had to twist the story to include him was embarrassing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

For me, one of the worst things about the theatrical cut is that Golic just loving vanishes. In the assembly cut, I believe they actually show him dying. But in the theatrical cut, I don't think we see him again after Clemmons dies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

On one hand, people's life experiences will paint the way that they see the world, including media. But on the other hand, I don't think it is impossible for people to see things from a different perspective. One movie that trips me up is the Director's Cut of Blade Runner. I know the film is supposed to ambiguous about Deckard, but the addition of the unicorn scene makes it all but certain to me to the point where I kind of get annoyed that it was added to the movie.

On another note that is kind of similar, I am annoyed with the Blomkamp Alien film for kind of going the fan servicey route because one of the genius moves of Alien 3 was sliding that right out of audience expectations. Also, gently caress Aliens:Colonial Marines.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I don't know why you guys bother conversing with a grown man who considers playtime with his Kenner Aliens action figures as continuity in a franchise that actively tries to distance itself from it.

e: also, Death Proof is a masterpiece.

Speaking of continuity, what is everyone's opinion on the whole Blomkamp bringing Ripley and Hicks back? Part of me wants to give it a chance to see if anything interesting will be done with it. The other half of me thinks its fan service bullshit because people didn't get the Alien 3 movie they wanted.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Electromax posted:

Main thing I remember from Alien 4 is a fairly horrific "pinhole vacuum" death for the newborn that made me feel kinda bad for it. That and Weaver making a cool backward one-hand basketball shot in one take.

I just remember the underwater scene complete with the music buildup that seemed like it was ripped straight out of Sonic the hedgehog.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Ant Man gave me hope that they could pull off something like that, what with how perfect "young Michael Douglas" looked. I wouldn't be opposed to a movie with digitally de-aged Ripley.

On the topic of scary Alien, yes I know it's a part of ~*~the expanded universe~*~ but the Alien Isolation video game is loving fantastic and scary as heck. The art design is fantastic (if a little overwrought in some regards), it doesn't just play out like an "Alien greatest hits" and tries to be its own thing while still understanding what made the movie scary and compelling, and it's all around gorgeous and a lot of fun if you like the first movie.

The voice actress for Amanda Ripley is a little shaky, and it's a long game (and starts to outstay it's welcome by the last chapter or so), but it's still a great ride.

And :spooky: SCARY GAMES MONTH :spooky: starts tomorrow, too. :toot:

I thought it was ok. I agreed with many of the reviewers in that the Alien AI was a weakness and not a strength as it could be really inconsistent at times. I was also kind of annoyed at the games over reliance on the androids when the human passengers were much more interesting and it was nice that the Alien actually interacted with them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I did a new Alien movie, it would be about a soldier being transformed into a Xenomorph-like creature by the military. And finding his thought process and emotions slwoly changing into something else as time goes on...

Xenoborg spotted

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I don't get why any of you like AvP-R. It's so campy. But in a bad, direct to video way. Not in a fun endearing way. Plus, the references. Jesus Christ those references!

I didn't like it either, but I have yet to watch it in the manner that SuperMechaGodzilla has recommended.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It's a decent ride that has some problems for me. Lockers and cabinets are all over the place but they are death traps later in the game. The stealth pretty much consists of hiding by a desk and then just walking in circles around it to break los. Crouching is slower but ultimately pointless since walking doesn't make much noise anyhow. The game heavily relies on the androids as a enemy type which fits with the story, but I found them to be boring especially since the alien just ignores them. I found it to be a solid 8 out of 10 game.

The environments are nice and the atmosphere can be creepy, but there are definitely parts where the game drags. And the fact that they had to use another Ripley character is pretty bad for me.

In any case, get it while you can because there most likely won't be a sequel since it cost so much money to develop and the game didn't really sell enough to justify it's AAA development.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

It still feels weird living in a world where between Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox, Alien: Isolation by Creative Aseembly, and Aliens RPG by Obsidian, Sega made the choices they did regarding funding and release dates.

Well, I would imagine that the FPS is the most sellable one. I have no idea why they thought that a stealth horror game, two niche genres in their own right should get a AAA budget.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Disco De Soto posted:

Which part is that? I just finished it and I guess there were a few spots it could have ended.

For me, it was right after you escape the Aneisadora. You get some closure and the game should really be winding down, but there is a whole lot more stuff the game wants you to do that really seems like busy work, including making it to the airlock and then the game decides that it wants to kidnap you and put you in a mini hive.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Aside from the mini-comics that came with the toys, the actual licensed comics showed a ton of restraint with regard to wacky Alien hybrids. It took them years to even capitalize on the obvious PredAlien concept (and when they did, it was great and still arguably one of the better PredAlien designs to date), and that has been the only PredAlien in the comics so far. You'd kind of expect the AvP concept to run that poo poo into the ground, but.... nope.

Beyond that there was one Alien borne from some sort of aquatic creature that shows up for one page and is never seen again, and one borne from a Space Jockey (and it looks cool), and a Queen born from a spacefaring humanoid in one comic, and that's really the entirety of wacky Alien hybrids in the comics, surprisingly.
The rest are pretty much all based on the designs seen in Alien, Aliens, Resurrection, or AvP (and the AvP design is identical to the Resurrection design, without the satyr-legs).

I can post up a cool set of comparison pics someone on an AvP forum put together a few years back that goes into the evolution of the movie designs, it's pretty cool and I know I've posted it in prior Alien/Prometheus/AvP threads.

We did get the xenoborg. A xenomorph that has laser guns for arms.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenoborg Alien:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I remember that for the longest time, we had pictures of the deleted scene from Aliens with Burke cacooned. But people thought the actual footage was lost but iirc, they found the footage recently.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Thanks for all that stuff, Xenomrph. I collect things like that :thumbsup:

Why not ask him about Sevastopol ' s safety protocols?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

Lol, it's something the androids say in Alien: Isolation

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Canon, especially in the Alien series, is pretty much whatever you want it to be. Fox has been semi-vague on what is and isn't canon to the point that you're better off making up your own mind.

What's officially "canon" according to Fox:
- all of the Alien/Prometheus, Predator, and AvP movies, including both theatrical cuts and alternate cuts of movies where appropriate
- Alien Isolation and it's prequel comic
- the "Fire and Stone" comics (Aliens, Predator, AvP, and Prometheus
- the 6 new Aliens, Predator, and AvP novels from last year, this year, and next year
- the Colonial Marines Technical Manual
- the new Weyland Yutani Report book that's coming out soon (it's basically a spiritual successor to the Technical Manual)

FOX has been making s point to actually oversee new authors and maintain a "canon bible" and all that crap, not unlike Lucasfilm does with Star Wars.

Is the old stuff no longer canon? Fox hasn't said. The new stuff generally doesn't contradict the bulk of it, and occasionally makes little references to it, so you can kinda make up your own mind.

I personally like the idea of "fuzzy continuity", where everything is an unreliable source and open to interpretation. It allows for minor contradictions (so you're not discarding things wholesale just because "oh source X shows a pulse rifle that's brown, but all pulse rifles are OBVIOUSLY green" or some poo poo) and it allows for mutually exclusive stuff to coexist.

Naturally this viewpoint pisses off a lot of hypernerd fans who absolutely NEED everything to fit together perfect and need every little detail explained. :v:

I guess they reneged on the whole Aliens Colonial Marines being canon thing? Bringing Hicks back was the most fan servicey and pointless thing in that whole game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

For all the talk about Avp, I still remember alot of things about it and I only saw it once. I really can't say the same for requiem. I think the thing I remember most vividly is one of the girl characters getting killed by the disc. That was actually pretty cool.

Also, I have a soft spot for Sanaa Lathan.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I really didn't think Wrath of Khan was all that great when I watched all the Trek films...

I don't think it's amazing but it is a very solid film.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I stopped giving a poo poo about canon when I found out that some non canon stuff made things much more interesting. Portable ops is crapped on as a game but I find that it supplements the other games well. But it's usually only Sci fi poo poo and video games that I find run into this problem.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The games are the worst about it. We basically get Ripley Jr since they couldn't come up with a new character. Then Aliens Colonial Marines is swimming in the callbacks including Hicks which really did nothing to help it.

I am one of the people who thinks Alien 3 went in a much more interesting direction than a continuation of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

At least Aliens is a franchise that actually has a good mixture of good video games to poo poo. Alien:Isolation was better than it had any right to be, but there were quite a bit of things about it that really pissed me off. Alien Vs Predator the new one was really good in the Marine campaign, but the other campaigns quickly turned into repetitive poo poo. I really wouldn't mind if Rebellion got a chance to do a Colonial Marines FPS, but that will probably never happen.

Also, the DS game was bland as all hell and I never finished it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Aliens as a game franchise hit the same snag Star Wars did very early on in their lifespans where no one has done anything unique or interesting with the IP, but instead use it as a pre-packaged setting to put your already designed product in. Isolation comes the closest to actually replicating the source material but it's still just a slightly tweaked Amnesia-like.

The original AvP on computer was really unique for its time. But I do agree with you on most of the other games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Concrete Jungle is a weird game. Its a weird hodgepodge of a bunch of weird poo poo crammed into a Predator game. Also, xenomorphs out of nowhere.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It's really odd. Starts off in 1930 fighting mobsters then you go to the future and fight cyborgs, Xenomrph and other predators.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It also didn't do too well. I thought it's overuse of androids and the Alien AI was a bit much at times.

It would have been a much more interesting game with more hostile humans since the coolest parts are when the alien is going on a rampage.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Related, here's a fun 30-second clip of me playing Alien Isolation:

http://www.trueachievements.com/gameclip.aspx?clipid=8654079

:stonk:

Clever girl.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Someone please make an amazing stop-motion alien fan film.

Didn't someone from earlier in the thread make a awesome stop motion Alien short film?

Edit: Beaten by the person who actually did the film from a while back.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 14, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I just remember the scene with the diving suit and Miguel Ferrer's character exploding from decompression.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The thing that I always thought was cool about Apocalypse Now is that outside of a photo at the beginning of the film, that is all you basically see of Kurtz for the whole movie. I basically went through the whole film not even sure if Kurtz even existed anymore.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I remember reading that a lot of that was an unintentional byproduct of Marlon Brando being massively uncooperative while filming, and Coppola having to make do with what he could get.

A cursory Google search brings up a few articles about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/telluride-francis-ford-coppola-spills-729281

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55bf66e1e4b06363d5a29e84

It may be that as well, but Heart of Darkness I think does the same thing. They build up Kurtz to be this awesome figure, and then they find him and he is sick as hell. It is a really cool effect.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Predator shot off his arm. Arnold gets shot in the same spot and all he gets is a bruise.

Predator is RACIST!

That's because Dillon pushed one too many pencils.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Well you have 2 options:

1) you can get facehugged.
2) you can sign up to appear in the Aliens Colonial Marines game instead.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

brocked posted:

I will always defend the loooong version nof Kingdom Of Heaven, it is fantastic

It is good. I will always consider Orlando Bloom to be the weakest link in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the beginning part of Alien 3 is one of my favorite parts in the whole movie.

Also remember, that's not Hicks in that tube :v:

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 25, 2016