Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What's the general take on the console version(s) of Terraria? The PSN version is $6.00 digitally until tomorrow, and I was considering picking it up just to see how the other side lives. I know that it is just $6, but I am still hesitant as I know that there is much less content than the PC version and I feel like the building and mining aspects of the game would control awkwardly with a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

insidius posted:

A sale eh, drat. I paid full price for it about a week ago.

I only picked it up as it offers the ability for some lounge room co-op, I bought it for PS4. There is still enough content for it to be worth it I would say and the current update from the developers is that the console versions should see the remainder of 1.2.4 by the end of the year. As far as I can tell from their update schedule you are looking at being able to have 1.3 or even just some of 1.3
in about 11 months give or take.

It plays well enough and you can zoom in or out while playing which is neat. However I found the controls for me very fiddly.

It has a "smart" control system and a sort of emulated mouse mode that you can use. The smart mode is supposed to be able to intelligently open doors, interact with items and chests etc. However I find it does not work well a lot of the time if there is more than one item to be interacted with in the area. This often means you are forced to switch over to the manual controls often and then back
to smart controls. It becomes annoying after a time.

Also as it lacks the ability to quick stack simply from your inventory to any nearby chests and instead requires you to open each chest, it really slows down any sorting of goods or utilisation of storage. In fact I find dealing with storage full stop in the console game to be very frustrating.

If you are willing to deal with less content, the occasionally fiddly controls there is still a lot of fun to be had there in co op or even just the ability for you to lounge it on your couch.

I wish I could be more helpful and describe it better but I feel a bit too ill at the moment to go more in depth, I can try and answer any other questions you may have if the above was not good enough.

No, this helps - you've actually helped me decide to not buy it. That's not a bad thing, by the way. I do not care about multiplayer and my two biggest concerns - lack of content (with no additions coming anytime soon) and fiddly controls - are apparently fully justified.

Terraria has the graphic quality of an SNES game. Also not a criticism, as I think that the game is beautiful, but that means that you don't need a $2000 machine to run it. Honestly, I would do better to save my $6, hook my best laptop up to my big LED telly via my extra HDMI cable, and play with my arse on the floor with my Nostromo and my wireless mouse on the coffee table.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 24, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RhoA posted:

Not only that, but it looks loving awful.

I thought that the trees and pots on the top level were quite twee, but overall it isn't very visually appealing, no.

Not to mention overpriced... pile of cheapshit plastic pumped out by slave labour in Southeast Asia is $65, while thousands of hours of dev time = $10

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ali Aces posted:

I bought the 3DS version and really, really wish I hadn't. It's a buggy piece of crap with lockups and missing items. The worlds are "smaller than small" which comes with a whole host of biome problems, like never recognizing the aboveground but not sky biome in various circumstances so certain enemies won't spawn. I can't tell you how much time and how many worlds I created trying to find flippers, they apparently just aren't there.

Here is the bug thread on their official forums, and it's already 75 pages long. I strongly recommend just avoiding it.

I was actually thinking about getting that; thank you for sparing me the misery. I've avoided all of the non-PC versions mostly because, quite frankly, none of them seem to be able to hold a candle to the original.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ali Aces posted:

Terraria is like if Minecraft had a baby with a roguelike Metroidvania and it was raised by all the bad words for jews. It's pretty great, the only downside is the need to hit up the wiki often to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Um, what???

That's a hell of a sentence, right there.

VideoGames posted:

Could you please explain this post.

As a Jew, I'm going to add another request for that. I'm not sure if I should be mystified by your clever wordplay and disappointed by my ability to suss out your clever riddle, or righteously loving pissed off at your anti-Semitism.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

watho posted:

JFC just admit that your stupid joke fell flat and go on with your day.

CJacobs posted:

That's not even the guy that made the joke?

watho posted:

I have problems with name recognition.

Ironically, J(F)C was a Jew

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
We were talking about item farming in the Earthbound thread, specifically tales of woe regarding getting the Sword of Kings, which is a 1 in 128 drop from an admittedly fairly common mob from one specific spot in the game. It is notorious for being something that people will spend hours and hours farming for, sometimes without success. I personally am also very critical of games that use rare random drops as a gameplay mechanic, and I don't hesitate to say it.

Having interesting content that leads to interesting rewards is always best, but barring that the two ways to go about it are either to have some sort of currency that allows you to eventually earn the rare item bit by bit or, in the case of having many drops from the same quest or monster, be able to trade X common or uncommon drops for the rare drop. This way, every attempt, even those that don't get the rare item that you really want, gets you incrementally closer to your goal. When it's just a 1/20 chance of getting the thing that you actually give a toss about, every failed attempt is just a waste of time.

The other way is to have invisible variables that increase the probability of a drop the more times that you kill the mob or do the quest. Some friends of mine and I did a programming project years ago where we did something like this, and keep in mind that this was back in the day when memory was very, very limited so every line of code was using a vital resource. In the modern era, there's no excuse as far as I see it. Our logic was that The Very Rare and Powerful Item is being carried by one of the Big Green Monsters in the world. Every time you kill a Big Green Monster without finding The Item, it's more likely to be the next BGM because you've already searched some already. So, it starts out at 1 in 128 for example, but after killing one BGM it's perhaps 1.5 in 128, then 2, then 2.5 and so on until you get the drop. Once it drops, a flag is set that it won't drop again because it's unique and another one does not exist.

I'm thinking about doing another Earthbound playthrough myself, and I found a Game Genie code that makes enemies drop their item with 100% frequency at the end of every battle. I'm not going to use it through the whole game because it would break the difficulty curve, but I am going to turn it on for those rare 1 in 128 drops because I have better poo poo to do. The actually most notorious example of "stupid random rare" is a bat for the main character that only drops off of one very rare mob about half an hour before the game ends... also with a 1 in 128 chance. The best part: The official strategy guide for the game stated that this item drops off a similar mob earlier in the game (which it doesn't), which led to a lot of people, myself included, farming for hours to get a drop that didn't exist. The "funny" part is that, since it was 1 in 128, it took years and eventually people examining the game's code to realise the error. After all, when you do something that you know is going to fail over 99% of the time, you are far more likely on a failure to say "Well, maybe next time" than "This is literally impossible"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
That's a good point. If you radically increase damage taken, it makes you be more clever about dodging and careful in your exploring because you can't tank a fair number of hits with healing potions. Adding hit points to the enemy or reducing the damage you do mostly just makes Activity X take longer, and that's not fun. Making faster, more clever ghosts in Pac-Man can make for a more pleasant experience for people who are very good at the game, but having to eat a Power Pellet and munch each ghost three times before his eyeballs run away isn't a mod you are likely to see anytime soon.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mzbundifund posted:

???

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but are you saying increasing enemy hp gives players an incentive NOT to stack damage mods on all their accessories? What?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one; that's what I thought he was implying too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
As someone who regards video games, Terraria included, as a solo pastime, I'm bothered by the number of bosses that seem almost undoable solo. I've yet to get to things like the Frost/Pumpkin moon or the alien invasion, but the consensus seems to be that they are exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, solo, and that bothers me because I want to enjoy the content without having to find a tag-team partner. The fact that a number of bosses despawn after a relatively short amount of time no matter how you are doing is also a pain in the rear end.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I know that it's been out literally 2 days, but has anyone tried the Wii U Terraria? I'm naturally averse to it due to the lack of content compared to the PC version, but I wonder how the controls work. Terraria was and remains a game made for mouse and keyboard, but perhaps the Wii U's characteristics and clever programming make it work well in a way that it wouldn't on, say, the PS4.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Thor-Stryker posted:

The only thing I wish was persistent is the GPS. I spent 15 hours legitimately crafting that thing only to leave it on an old hard-drive. Now my only option is to edit it in like a dirty pleb.

I think that, in this case, we could forgive you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lowen posted:

I haven't seen anything official, but the wiki has some stuff collected from tweets. It's not much.
-Sort items button for chests
-Trees grow on screen (there's a leafy explosion and the tree pops into existence)
"Lots of birthday party themed decorations."
Assorted stuff like a new outfit and bunnies that wear party hats.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features

loving sold.

I've owned the game for years and it's a free patch, but you know what I mean.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Black August posted:

It's almost unbelievable how much content and polish was added to the game, for free, when it was already really liked and popular and could have been left as is. At the least it's secured me as being interested in trying out Terraria 2, since Red has given me the impression of a competent and hard working developer. Dude took time off to raise his newborn, came back, and just casually doubled the game's size with new stuff, and they're STILL going half a decade later.

Old release Terraria is a nightmare in comparison to the QOL we have now, it's kind of funny. The old world maps used to be wretched in design.

It's really something, isn't it? I was unemployed and not in the happiest frame of mind when it originally came out and bought the game mostly because I liked the graphics and wanted to cheer myself up. A week later I couldn't honestly say whether or not I had ever gotten up from my desk.

Apparently someone asked Red why he kept releasing so much for free, as it's no doubt a lot of work, in this age of paid DLC that often should just be part of the bloody base game. His "official" response was basically that he had already made millions of pounds on the game and still had a vision for it, so he kept adding to it. It shows how greedy and cynical we are as a society where a millionaire saying "I have enough money, I do this because I want to" is cause for surprise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Moryrie posted:

Some news on Terraria Otherworld. Basically they looked at how it was going, were not happy, and are revising a lot of it.

I like those screenshots, but the phrase "are revisiing a lot of it" made me think of Starbound and sent a chill down my spine.

Zereth posted:

I'm not sure I like the omen of "Silicon sword leveled up" though.

You and me both, brother/sister/fellow carbon-based life form.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

grimcreaper posted:

I just use the starter armor and weapons and dig till I get tons of ore and then stuff and more stuff and then do some stuff and realize my equipment sucks and then do more stuff and then go back and build a wood shack and make some stuff and do more stuff while stuffing some stuff.

Your game is too hot for me. I wouldn't want to play multiplayer with you because it sounds stuffy in there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just saw that the digital version of Terraria for PS4 is $4.99 USD, if anyone is interested.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I bought the PS4 version of Terraria since it's $5 right now and I don't think that I can play it. I was already bummed by the more limited content, but the controls are just too awkward to me. I honestly feel that the devs did a great job with what they had gamepad-wise, I just can't get into it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ambaire posted:

I promptly used it to make the 'Pineapple cannon' using HM ores from a slew of golden crates, upgraded it to +7 using Dushy's upgrade tokens, and killed the destroyer 11 times in one night with zero deaths.

You have no idea how many times in real life I've wished that I had a cannon that shoots whole pineapples.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Crimson Harvest posted:

Magic Storage is really super good. I got the mod that makes an artificial altar and all is well.

Speaking of Magic Storage, I downloaded that and the TML GOG patcher for my version of the game, but I can't figure out how to install it. Could anyone tell me how to do that? I think that this mod would be very useful if I could install it properly.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I Said No posted:

What's the bet that the turds are a throwable weapon?

Crafting material; I called it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Not that he hasn't made a loving packet, but I've always admired Red for saying that he made a game that brought him millions of pounds, and he keeps expanding on it without asking for more money (that he could make easily and in quantity) because he loves his creation. I can respect that.

I'm going to get some serious loving heat in this thread, but that twat Notch always struck me as someone who was just looking to sell out and justify it later, and he sure did.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

He sure did.

I'm not sure how you meant this parroting of my last few words, but I will go on record as saying that I do not respect nor admire the wealthy or the hollow and miserable pursuit of wealth. My impression from the start is that Notch was always in it for the money, made a ton of it, and then sold out and made even more because it was never about the art of his creation, just the number of zeros. Red strikes me as someone who wanted to make A Fun Thing, did it, and then made way more dosh than he expected. Realising that a few million quid (pounds) should last him and his family a dozen lifetimes or so, he set about making A Fun Thing even better without expecting even more.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Best

fish

ever

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm constantly gobsmacked by how much the devs have put and intend to put into the game, and the fact that Red isn't a money-grubbing twat like, say, Notch. I will confess, though, that despite owning Terraria on a number of platforms, I never want to play it on anything but the PC due to the simple fact that any other version feels inferior due to being, for all practical purposes, stuck in the past.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

"Stuck in the past" is exactly the point, mobile players don't see why their platform necessarily has to be the one stuck in the past. Due to how they experienced Terraria, they think of it as a phone game and it indeed works well as one. The devs could have targeted Mobile as their main platform from the beginning, rendering most of the reasons given above (many of which were logistical, not technical) for why it has to be behind moot.

It is both true that these devs are the single most patient, dedicated, and quality conscious little group in the entire industry, and that the mobile community also has legitimate frustration (such as no hotfixes for two years) and have grown disappointed witnessing their fellow lab monkeys getting fed amazing treats for no effort during all that time. There's only so much that can be done differently now though.

Then I must not understand something. Terraria was originally a PC game; that I know because I bought it the week it released and, like Absolutely Everyone Else, had no idea it would be this popular or become this big for an initial $10 investment. Here is where I must be in error: As I understand it, every non-PC port of the game was outsourced to another company who has, in the minds of non-PC players, dropped the ball in terms of staying current. I agree and don't understand why they have not been able to or have not chosen to keep TerrariaNotPC on equal footing content-wise with TerrariaPC, but the game was originally a PC game and stayed that way for years before other platforms were developed. The devs did originally make it for PC with presumably no idea it would get over so well, and the PC version being their first priority and love should be understandable at the very least. Having the non-PC version of the fanbase expecting them to shift first priority for any updates to mobile/console seems... presumptuous to me. I must be missing something.

I also don't know how anyone could think that controls on console or mobile could compare to the smoothness of mouse and keyboard, but that's another discussion.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This is not going to be a popular opinion, but one of the reasons that I don't like playing with a "small" map size (PC version) is that I've found that one far too often ends up with certain biomes either totally missing or barely there. I haven't tested this scientifically and it's just an observation, but that's why I generally choose a medium world.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Solumin posted:

Good for you! I'm glad that convinced you to use something like GitHub. Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

The number of old games that can't be rereleased because the source code is just lost is staggering. Final Fantasy 7, for example. The PC release is the 1998 binary wrapped in a program that provides drivers and DRM. (Allegedly, anyway, I can't find a solid source for this.)

I had no idea that losing source code was so epidemic. I'd heard of it happening, of course, but I always assumed that it was due to legal bullshit, accident/technical failure or just man's infinite neglect. I used to be a (bad) programmer when I was much younger and I still have the source code to AMSs (Asset Management Systems) that I wrote over a decade ago.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Main Paineframe posted:

Over a long enough period of time, the probability of all of things rapidly approaches 100%. Final Fantasy 7 first came out over twenty years ago.

Yes, but I would assume that big game companies would keep the code to their products on backup servers or behind doors made of mithral guarded by flame-spewing lions, or something to that respect. I wouldn't think that corporations would be cavalier about the stuff that makes them money.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SoR Blaze posted:

After having finished the game on PS4, I'm now trying to get Terraria up and running on my PC using a 360 controller for input. However, I'm running into one minor issue that I can't diagnose. In the inventory menu, the left stick and dpad can be too sensitive. Often times I have to barely brush the stick to the side to move the cursor one space; anything more will move the cursor too far. This isn't the case with the main menu of the game, or when I'm moving through my equipped items. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

No clue about the PC problem but I’m surprised you made it through he PS4 version. Without a mouse it is like doing surgery with a hammer. At least, that’s what I assume surgery with a hammer would be like, I haven’t been to medical school.

I agree, but I didn't want to seem like I was taking the piss out of Blaze for preferring a... "less optimal" control method. Putting aside the lack of content, I have tried Terraria on 3DS, PS4, and iPad and even with the stylus on the 3DS they all felt so imprecise, clumsy and frustrating to me. In my estimation, it's an order of magnitude more awkward than playing an FPS with an analogue controller instead of M&K.

I will say this: Blaze, give mouse and keyboard a try. It might take some adjustment, but I think that if you enjoyed PS4 Terraria, you will utterly adore the PC version because of the more precise controls and the additional content.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mayveena posted:

Terraria is half price over this weekend in case you know someone who doesn't already own it and should :).

This means literally everyone who doesn't own it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vib Rib posted:

I for one would actually really like a Terraria 2, even with all the updates 1 keeps getting.

Me as well. Every time that there is a new update in the queue, part of me thinks that perhaps they should not be working on that and instead work on a sequel, if indeed they want to do that. Terraria 1 already had a ludicrous amount of content and there is only so far that the engine can be stretched, after all.

I will add that I am continually impressed by how Red has put so much work into adding content to a very inexpensive game with no thought of adding paid DLC. I realise that he's still made millions of ££££ regardless, but I'm continually shocked when people aren't as greedy as they could be.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just appreciate Red in general for his generousity and humility, which is even more commendable next to Notch, who is an utter tool. I'm sure that Andrew had no idea that his idea would catch fire like it did and he ended up making millions of pounds, took a new dad hiatus and has done nothing but add new poo poo for free to his beloved opus. In an era of endless cynical greed, that's oddly refreshing. Again, see Notch.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

What's really crazy is that no one's managed to replicate the formula enough to stand out. Starbound is the worst, It Lurks Below is okay but is meant to be more of a dungeon crawler. Dig or die wasn't bad for a one man project, but it was aggressively mediocre.

There are so many attempts but none of them can figure out what makes Terraria so good.

I have Starbound and, while I haven't played it much, it seems to have sold well and received a good reception after a lot of polish. Is it really "BAD" bad or is it just not as good as Terraria and the fanboys in this thread want to piss on it to seem like the cool kids? Sometimes the proof really is in the pudding, and the game has a 90% "Like" rating on Steam with over 57,000 reviews - clearly quite a few people are quite enjoying it even if a lot of other people are trying to piddle in it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

Most of the people in the Starbound thread have followed it from the beginning, so they've got to see a lot of very cool things in the game be nerfed into uselessness because fun is verboten.

Still it's getting its own 1.4 update, currently testable if you have the game on Steam. (I have it on GOG so lol.)

I'm all but certain that it is available on GOG; go have a look. The game has a specific 1.4 icon, even.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
One of my very, very few quibbles with Terraria is that there really isn't a direct option to make a "world with everything in it." I know that it's a piece of piss to just create and jump into another world with the same dude, but I prefer it otherwise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Terracustom solves this. It has parameters that let you spawn both crimson and corruption, and both biome chests will spawn in the dungeon as well.

Noted, grazie

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've played the PC version for many hours and a number of non-PC versions a fair bit as well, and if I'm being perfectly frank all non-PC versions seem like a consolation prize to me. Given that all mobile and console versions lag behind in terms of content, both built-in and user-made, and have far less intuitive controls (despite a lot of effort to make them user friendly), I don't see why anyone would play a non-computer version of the game unless they had no choice or a long commute. If people are having fun on any platform then grand, but it feels like a compromise to me.

The Switch version might be slightly improved by the touch screen, but given that the Nintendo Tax has pushed the cost up to 30 USD and the PC version can be had for 10, it's hard to recommend the former.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised the switch version wasn't 1.4

Fake Edit: I was going to make a comment here about version differences, but after a bit of research I am thoroughly confused. As I understand it, the PC version is at 1.3.5.3 and eagerly awaiting 1.4 soon~ish while PS4/XBone are at 1.3.1 yet Switch is launching at 1.3.0.7 and I have no idea what mobile/3DS is. I know that most of this is probably wrong, but I tried to look everything up on Gamepedia and it basically did my head in.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

dis astranagant posted:

That's really odd because Red kept claiming that the Switch port was going to be the start of having all platforms on the same version.

That would be grand, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I tried to "crunch the numbers" on gamepedia and ended up thoroughly confused, so perhaps someone else could suss it out.

I know that 3DS and mobile versions are going to be limited by hardware specs, but I would assume that even being light on hardware wouldn't stop any version from having the same bosses, drops and so on, it would just lack things like Large worlds. I've always presumed that the lack of all versions not being the same is due to a case of can't-be-arsed rather than technical reasons, but if someone else knows otherwise than I am all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm actually all fo(u)r (1.4, that is) the devs postponing release to polish something. It's become standard these days to release a product as a buggy mess and then fix it later, and I'm kind of tired of it. Bard's Tale IV was like that at release, they patched it like crazy and now they are releasing some sort of "Director's Cut" They are trying to make it sound grand, but I fancy that it's mostly their way of trying to reboot a game that was released unfinished.