Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spergminer posted:

It didn't, but stuff is saved on the cloud :yayclod: now, so I'm not sure if you can dupe fresh worlds and characters just by moving the local files around.

I actually have clouds turned off by default (it doesn't always stick, or work, depending on the steam game).

I've not done anything but set up a small world and hit quit for later. But one of the buttons on the player, and the world itself on the selection screens was "move to cloud". Maybe it is possible to backup stuff?

I admit as handy as cloud storage can be, I prefer it when it is a backup option over it being the main save. Is that the case with terraria now?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So if I'm reading this right, the practical purpose if the money tough is that it lets you just click it and use the floating summon, instead of taking the time to place down a piggy bank and valid surface for it, and then pick it up when you are done?

That's... okay I guess? A pleasant time saver for the millionth time you have to stop and put down some platforms or a table to put down then pick up the piggy bank from. Hardly seems fair to give that such an infinitesimal drop chance.

If it gives you access to both the piggy bank and the safe though, that would be bring it to "loving amazing" and I'd be less surprised by the 0.5% Normal, 1% Expert drops (Does it show I've never activated hard mode before if those drop chances seem low to me :downs:)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I think medusas might be one of the most poorly designed enemies I've ever seen in a game. Am I gonna have to wall off every marble cave like its a loving quarantine zone?

Make them Authentic marble zones.

Fill it with LAVA.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
SO! Have I mentioned I'm loving terrible at this? I'm still wearing wood armor, have the most boring tower possible in progress. I've not dug more than 10 feet past the surface, only explored my small left to right enough to see a few biomes (??? Corruption, snow, Spawn, desert, Jungle ???)

However... While trying to set up a small tree farm just off screen from my home for more of that sweet log cabin action, I see a star fall off the edge of the screen.

The star came to stop by a plant that wasn't there before.

"Strange plant"

Anyways, for those of you too honorable to use editors. What buttons should my dumb rear end push so I can hop onto one of the Goon servers, and shove this strange plant into a chest for someone actually looking for them to get it?

TL;DR: Idiot Terraria newbie has a falling star land next to a strange plant that wasn't there a second ago, 20 feet from spawn. Wants to hand it over to Goons actively seeking them out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Same, I wanna play this game with other people. Preferably not on Expert.

I'm fine blindly stumbling around on my own while I multitask, but I saw some of the other posts about all the shenanigans people have been dealing with Strange Plants and figured the least I could do is hand it off the results of my undeserving blind luck :shobon:

At the very least I got the dye trader spawned and living in my work in progress lame tower for dumb babies, which is probably overkill for Normal Non Expert.

I'm planning on adding stairwells on either side but I'm hearing mixed things about NPC ability to navigate platforms, so I guess they'd be mostly for my personal convenience.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do trees actually grow larger or is it a preset height as soon as they change from sapling?

Further on the subject of newbie tree questions, is there a trick to make it so tall grass doesn't sprout, or am I stuck mowing the lawn every so often so at least there is enough room for the saplings to grow at all?

The White Dragon posted:

This looks like a good way to have everyone fall out the left side in the middle of a blood moon :v:

Yeah, I was hoping they wouldn't be QUITE so stupid as to lemming out of the house but it's probably a good idea for me to dirt block that off. Eventual newbie series of rectangle plans involve converting the edges to a nice stairwell. I've expanded the NPC rooms to 12x8 because if I'm going to give the NPCs boring shapes while I start out, the least I can do is give them some extra room right? Got the second floor finished, baby's first bed in the Central area with temporary Hay walls closing off the rest of the second floor in case more NPCs spawn.

If they go down the central rope pillar though, then gently caress them they got what was coming to em.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm pretty sure it's always been a joke about how sand does/did a shitload of damage in terraria if it falls on you

I finally have metal armor, I guess I can be a bit more lazy digging when sand is around now-son of a BITCH.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I live under a rock, what did sand do to Starbound?

In the beginning! Sand was a free flowing substance where digging through it made you basically go for a fun ride down the sliding pile. This also knocked loose any ore that was inside the sand, so "sand surfing" it was both fun to do and effective for mining.

The devs looked upon this thing everybody enjoyed, and decided that was no good. Removing the ability to get ore from sand.

EDIT: I think the first way they did this was kludging it so ore was still in sand, but trying to dig it out merely destroyed it, or some other "We gotta put a stop to this, right NOW!" patchwork job,

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 13, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question. I've heard mixed things about NPC ability to traverse through platforms. They appear to not want to drop down through the platforms attached to rooms, or jump up through them either when I'm looking.

I was attempting to kludge together some form of NPC viable stairway to play to their unwillingness to pass through platforms, so at the very least they can all sorta funnel downwards to eachother with something at least RESMBLING a stairway, without relying on open holes for them to fall through and call it a day.

I switched rooms around from one side of the hover cabin to the other and second floor to see how they'd path their way over.

The Trader walked up the ramp, and now just meanders about the wooden platforms instead of taking that last step onto the next ramp so they can reach their room. The Dye trader just walked up and kept going.

Two seconds after I took the snapshot the dye trader just walked off the edge :downs:

TL;DR: How does an idiot who knows nothing about building manage both up and down vertical access for NPCs that doesn't rely on offscreen teleportation? Or should I just say gently caress and accept that NPCs will just mingle with their own floor?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xenaero posted:

The easiest way I've found is actually building a staircase out of platforms, which you can handmake yourself by hammering the platforms, or using the smart cursor thingy and building them diagonally, it'll automatically form the stairs. NPCs use those.

That is nice to hear if it works, I guess my NPCS (All five of them :downs:) just hate having anything to do with using platforms or platform stairs except walking over them like a floor when I'm looking.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As far as I know, this is now impossible and NPCs will never go up or down stairs while onscreen. In my floating gulagfortress, they will (oddly enough) occasionally teleport downstairs while offscreen, but never upstairs.

See also, this guy's luck on the matter.

Also I think your place is pretty okay :shobon:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eric the Mauve posted:

I want to clarify what I said up above there--NPCs WILL use stairs. It's just that they will not pass through a platform floor in either direction. The standard way of going from one floor to another (which works just fine for the player) is to build stairs (a diagonal line of platforms which are then hammered into stair-shape) leading up to the next floor, the floors divided at the top of the stairs by a 5-or-more-block platform.

The player can still use this just fine. NPCs cannot. They will not drop down through platforms (enemies still will, however) and if they're climbing stairs and encounter a platform at the top they will immediately fall off the stairs (by walking sideways instead of upward, and off the edge).

All of this is new to 1.3; NPCs navigated platforms/stairs just fine before. A note in the changelog suggests this is intentional (something about preventing them from getting stuck? Can't remember exactly.) But there's got to be something better than "it is impossible to construct a way to move between floors within the same structure that NPCs will use" that will come in a future patch. I hope.

Thank you for these clarifications. I expect I should save trying to deal with NPC vertical movement when I have fought so much as a single boss, and have both the practice and materials to make something more aesthetically pleasing than "bunch of rectangles", even if I stick with my theme of log cabins and brickwork.

I tend to play in binge chunks every so often, and even then I'm probably the slowest at Terraria in the world (I'm for the moment trying to avoid "go directly to fishing", so I have some semblance of an average progression).

Admittedly not fighting the Eye yet is as much having only stumbled across enough crystals to hit 180 so far as much as anything. I did luck out in that my first small world has Corruption, Iron, Silver, and Gold. So it hit the old familiar materials combo (Well, there is Tin instead of copper, but that's fine).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress. Died at the last second to the slime king :argh: shoulda had more lighting I guess, but the bombs I tried throwing all barely missed him and blew out the local lighting so I got stunlock pinballed by tiny slimes dealing 1 damage into him like an idiot when it was down to 30 health :saddowns: I shoulda taken more time, but the slime rain had worn out, night had fallen, and I was worried he'd run away at any second or something.

If I'm this much of a fuckup on something that can barely be called a boss, I'm not expecting good thing whenever I hit 200 health for the Eye, or the fact I'm finally scouting around the corruption and packing bombs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Go fishing. Catch some of the tool fish like the shark and sawfish, pray for a falcon blade from a crate maybe, but fishing is the way to power.

I am admittedly, AVOIDING fishing because I've never so much as seen hard mode before. So I'm trying to give myself some semblance of "Baby's first natural progression". My loss to the Slime king at least is one I can readily point to as "my own loving fault" circumstances. (Oh gently caress me, I forgot wands and arrows can shoot THROUGH platforms I could have done the entire fight from complete safety from my incidental platform rigs on the side of my home, WHILE shielded by raining slimes :downs:)

Just popped open the two most annoying to reach shadow orbs in my local corruption (Under water ones). Got a musket, vilethorn, and near instant "A meteor has landed!" message. I expect it has landed somewhere past the corruption to my left (which I can traverse now readily enough), or past the jungle to my right (Which I have stayed away from).

Dynamite doesn't destroy meteor ore right? a quick glance at the internet suggests it does not. I do have a gold pick (smartcursor loves to try and uselessly hit ebonstone instead of the dirt your mouse pointer is over, it seems) but at least the slime rain fighting has doubled my gold so I can splurge on some explosives.

EDIT: Once I have the Eye and Destroyer dealt with, I do plan on looking into some casual fishing though. Got 80+worms, some stars, and a Reinforced rod at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 14, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

Make sticky bombs.

This is wonderful advice and really saved on how many bombs I used reaching those shadow orbs.

You don't even need a crafting station to slather slime gel all over your explosives, it's great.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Dynamite can also be made sticky now, for maximum meteorite enjoy.

Such joy from such simple things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Found where my first meteor hit!

There are a few tiles of sand between it and the ocean, so I guess I won't be going nuts with dynamite after all.

Go away Soul eater, I'm busy dealing with meteor heads (Oh right, it plowed down through a small chunk of non corrupt beach sand between the ocean and a corrupt desert).

Fake Edit: Whoops I forgot Fire was an ongoing effect "Oh that's low damage I should be fine-waaait oh gently caress"

Real Edit: SPACE GUN sorry Saphire staff, you may be the same damage for less mana, but you are not full auto and piercing-*blows through all 200 mana wildly firing at three enemies*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 14, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh cool, I found the Angler.... No Angler, don't jump into the giant ditch the meteor used to be-fuuuuck.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wyvernil posted:

Speaking of arenas, I figured I should make one of my own. I had plenty of granite just from all the granite biome enemies dropping it, but I had to make a different world to dig up enough marble:

Once I get access to living fire blocks, I'll put really big flames on the top of the pillars, and the lava pit in the middle still needs to be filled in. Any other advice for building arenas? Eventually, I intend to put in a few heart lanterns/star bottles for regen.

Are you preparing to fight Conan the Barbarian or something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, I got 172 Meteor ore leftover after making the Space Gun, full meteor armor, Meteror Hamaxe, and a blue Phase Saber. Sabre is a bit of a letdown, as my my Hamaxe has +1 damage over it due to multi mods so it's auto swing nature makes up for the speed difference. At least I know you can turn the sabre into a stronger hard mode version though.

I get the impression either I lucked out on my Meteor mass (aside from having to carefully avoid flooding myself with the ocean while digging out half of it), or have they gradually ramped up how much Meteor rock results in general per impact?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Blackheart posted:

Ocean mobs get replaced by light / dark desert mobs, or at least they used to. Might also affect fishing and palm tree growth but I'm not sure.

I've got a Corruption separated from my ocean by about 30 tiles of non corrupted sand (with my first meteor just barely missing entering the water itself) So If I make it to preparing to hard mode, at the very least that's one spot I'll want to deal with just on principle.

At least in the other direction of that corruption is the dungeon entrance, so that's a natural barrier right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Blackheart posted:

Yeah that is indeed loving amazing! I wish it had a toggle though (maybe it does?) because I found out by mistake and was expecting to use the old method to easily fill up my window spaces and ended up wrecking my wall a bit.

While I am ignorant baby in the ways of good building, I'd figure if there is no toggle than your best course of action is to hammer out where you want the windows to be, then use smart cursor. Smart cursor placement will not do the whole "knock out old wall" bit.

President Ark posted:

Not anymore, and corruptors can't spread the corruption anymore anyway.

loving sweet. I may actually hit hard mode this time around yet. I'm already as far in as I've ever been, minus an Eye kill (note to self explore deeper to pass 180 health). Gold gear didn't last very long. "I've scraped up enough for gold stuff beyond a pickaxe, now I can-ooh a meteor *builds and equips meteor set+gun, Saber and hamaxe*" Am I crazy for preferring the visual style of the Silver Armor though?

I am really, really glad my first world for 1.3 was Corruption, Iron, Silver, Gold for familiarity reasons. I got Tin instead of Copper, but the metals that matter to me are all familiar.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 14, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

That time I spent lining my central area with grey brick and putting up big neat splash gears. All for naught. :negative:

You did it because it looked cool.

Also because natural corruption spread can't pass through them either. Never know when spawned corruption tile will be in your lawn.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would very much love LASERS to be relevant at all times, yes.

I only have the space gun in Normal Mode, but already I know I will be sad when it has outlived it's usefulness. Even if it never had the option of infinite ammo while wearing meteor armor.

For giggles I tried fighting the Eye of Cthuulu with my Phase Saber and the AHK mousespam bit. Oh my gently caress, even with my Meteor helmet off and no mana refill potions (if some stars in jars) the space gun was so much better. My Silver Scepter was better (damage=my space gun due to modifiers).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 15, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know at the very least, if I buffer ANYTHING pre hard mode, it's gonna be my Western ocean on principle. I got about 30 tiles of combined desert and beach sand between the edge of a corrupting desert and the ocean. My first meteor hit a handful of tiles from splashdown, I had to carefully avoid flooding the meteor crater with ocean while digging out about half of it.

My tiny baby small world.

Ocean. Corruption. Dungeon. Corruption. Snow. Spawn. Proper Desert. Grassland. Jungle. Ocean.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Apparently that Meowmere thing is a known bug? At least according to the wiki.

quote:

There is a small bug where you instantly die if you use the weapon, where the chat will say that you died by the meowmere. It is unknown why this happens.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Read posted:

Why did you put a giant woman chained to posts in a bikini in your arena?

He's clearly got an inside track to the upcoming Barbarian invasion event and is preparing Thulsa Doom style accordingly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Apparition posted:

Which one?

A qiuck peek at the yoyo page, and the only one mentioning the snow biome would be-

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Amarok

There is also apparently a "Caverns and Underworld" random drops yoyo that at a glance appears to be slightly weaker, but then again the Underworld is a pretty big loving part of any map.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Holy moly, wall of flesh is kicking my rear end on expert. I made 75 blocks of dynamite and set them off with a detonator as soon as I dropped the voodoo doll, but it still had enough health to chase me halfway through the underworld and caress me tenderly with those tentacles.

I'm just going to stack 200 dynamite and blow it up instead.

This sounds like a great idea so long as you take measures to ensure that doesn't just blow a hole straight into lava for all the loot to fall in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

VineST posted:

i think they meant maybe the dynamite would destroy that too, if there was too much going off at different intervals

Well I mostly forgot about the box, having never activated hard mode personally. But yeah that's basically what I meant, considering the apparent goal was to blow them the gently caress up out the gate.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm just going to stack 200 dynamite and blow it up instead.

Oh what wonderful science experiments you can do in this game :allears: "Hey mister Owl. How many dynamites does it take to get to the tootsie loot center of a wall of flesh?" "a one. a two... hundred. a *BOOM*"

Excelzior posted:

would that I had half as much building skill

but nope, ugly boxes for me

Even then, his buildings can serve as inspiration for those of us like you and me. Because that fancy rainbow prisim set of towers is, when you get down to it, a series of rectangles.

We can do it, we know the shapes. We just need to learn to be fancy with them :unsmith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I guess because a cube of dungeon bricks with two tiles above the lava inside is just too impersonal for Wile E Coyote.

Is the wiki correct in stating dungeon bricks near the surface spawn don't needing top end (like it says about demonite) on that note?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

even if it's too close to the origin for comfort and even though I knew building it up would mean I'd have to move elsewhere or end up completely destroying the geography to make it work for the final amount of NPCs if I decide I want them all in one place.

Could you inform my ignorant self why building close to the origin is bad? Does the original spawn telefrag parts of the building away if you die without a bed spawn/you use it for multiplayer? As for having to move out, would bolting on the 20ish rooms total for NPC houseing just be too bulky for what you are going for?

It does look pretty nice though. I am a sucker for cool cabins in these games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

President Ark posted:

The origin point is where pirate/goblin invasions congregate, so if your base is right there and you don't take steps to keep your NPC areas invasionproof then every time one of those invasions comes in your NPCs will get murdered.

Huh, go figure. I'm assuming this is more for if they show up while you are away from home, so you don't have a ton of goblins waiting for you once you reach the middle. Does this mean they'd just keep walking past your house if it was farther to the side while you were not around? I thought I read they spawned from world edge and traveled towards the middle.

I'm messing about in a small world so Spawn area is my best "natural default" biome choice. The second "largest" ones are off to the right between the desert and jungle. And a bit between two corruptions on the left. Then again at least I'm trying to build my series of wood and stone brick rectangles far enough off the ground you can't single jump into it.

I can see the appeal of housing farther to the side on a larger world, makes you closer to an ocean and your preference of the jungle or the dungeon. Instead of wanting to punch yourself for thinking about going from one end to the other without a mine cart track. I did luck out with a blizzard in a bottle and flurry boots though, which helps even on a small world.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hivac posted:

By this logic fishing needs to be removed from the game
Look, just because I'm deliberatly avoiding fishing now doesn't mean I won't be glad it's there later-

Hivac posted:

Also you need to craft a full set of every material before you can make the next material

Oh hello Starbound.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

It's fun if there's a linear progression. It's even more fun if you can break it half when you know where to go and what to do.

Yeah. As a stubborn idiot who likes to at least do something resembling the normal progression I do still love it when there is the option to just go "gently caress it, PRO SHORTCUTS".

That said I really wish there wasn't that overall sense of "LOL you loving moron if you don't use something capable of shooting, even if it's a melee weapon".

Yay I built a lightsabre out of metors!... now now to never, ever use it because holy gently caress I actually took a stab at the Eye of Chtuulu and Eater of worlds with it, even with the AHK mouse spam script. gently caress this, space gun/looted musket/shuiriken/Silver staff/literally anything else but melee time.

I wasn't even in any danger since, you know. Meteor armor vs Eye and Eater. but god drat it felt like a million times more of a slog.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Senor Candle posted:

Yes. And it isn't actually that hard to do. Put a few pieces down and get on the tracks, then just start moving and laying down tracks as you go. Basically just have to hold down the mouse button.
If not for enemies that phase or dig through walls, I'd be tempted (on a small world) to try something crazy like a walled up shallow depth cross map subway tunnel, with trap doors at various points.

After all, a subway tunnel would just be a giant rectangle, and I know I can do rectangle :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I've done this and it works fine. There are very few burrowing enemies and basically none of them are dangerous, just irritating.

Cool. My easily distrated self hasn't played this in like a week since I finally got around to mulching the eye and eater (still only 180 health though :downs:) but that's encouraging to hear.

Excelzior posted:

I, for one, encourage people to play this game whichever way they want without condemning their specific desires as autistic

loving crazy, right?

I may stubbornly be deliberately avoiding fishing since I've never so much as seen hard mode personally before and want a semblance of "average" progression, but I'm glad workarounds are available for those who want them. So hearing those cut or dialed back, along with drops from the end boss are nerfed because they make fighting the end boss you got them from in the first place less balbusting is just :cripes:

Honestly, if I hit hard mode I expect a stubborn "Nope, not raiding a crimson world for Vamp knives" to be a bigger detriment than avoiding fishing the way those get talked about.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baron posted:

Oh my god. Thank you!!! For some reason I assumed that would just drop the item...

It's an understandable question. It's RIGHT clicking that will make you throw it like an idiot :downs: (Why yes I have thrown many stacks or doors while opening doors, why do you ask?)

Also, it only works if you do not have auto pause turned on. If autopause is in use, then you can't use anything but your hotbar stuff. Or at least it won't let me do things that way when autopause is on.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The game KNOWS.

"I think I should start prepping to fight the Goblin army. I've got like 8 torn banners from dead scouts, I've got Meteor stuff, I finally broke 200 health, and I have the parts needed for a GPS so-"

A Goblin army is approaching from the East

Also my first run in with Medusa was one in the waters of the underground jungle :v: Fortunately I had JUST started putting down platforms so didn't drown. Turns out there was a Marble Biome an entire screen length in the opposite direction, with a large gaping pit between it and any jungle :downs:

EDIT: Bless you, Space Gun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I can't find that picture with the really, REALLY in depth labeled series of storage chests. What's a good rough estimate for some casual but labeled storage for a single person?

I somehow have the feeling "20 chests" is undershooting even while in normal mode.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

You'll want different chests for pre-hardmode and hardmode ores/bars, separate chests for each kind of weapon unless you sell them instead of collect them (so different for melee, bows, thrown, magic, maybe summon too since I tend to put pet/mount items with those), probably more than one chest for monster loot, a different chest for wood, different one for furniture (and more than one depending on how varied you base building is)... Make separate chests for putting in potions, potion materials, and seeds, and sell off excess healing potions that are of a lower rank than the one you're using at any given time. You should also keep your completed accessories separate so they don't clutter the chest you put the ones you plan to merge with others (which should be next to the tinkerer's workshop). I also highly recommend placing a chest dedicated to putting all the poo poo pirates drop for you when you get to those invasions. Another chest-filler is apparel, because they don't stack. You'll want two or three chests dedicated to putting in all the stupid hats and poo poo you come across, even if you sell duplicates, honestly.

Basically, chests. You'll want a lot of these.

Trasson posted:

It really depends on how you classify things. Every chest has like thirty spaces, but you might or might not use all of them depending on how you organize items. It also depends on how much you get rid of random chaff like outdated equipment or stacks of dirt.

Ores and bars can fit into two chests. Potion ingredients can fit into one chest, although seeds might make that run over. Potions could use up two chests depending on if you get rid of the inevitable twenty stacks of lesser healing you get as you explore.

Then there's building materials, accessories, and vanity items, and it all depends on how many of these you want to run around with. Explosives, electrical tools, switches, pumps....

If you were just stuffing things in chests with no sense of organization but only kept the actually immediately useful stuff you could get away with 7-10 chests and have room to spare. If you want a precisely organized filing cabinet system, you're going to have a lot more wasted space and use a lot more chests. To each their own.

Thanks for the tips. Stuff like splitting your growing collection of accessories into "Complete" and "Can smash together" is a great thing I woulda been kicking myself in hindsight over. On that note I lucked out being able to make specter boots as soon as I got the workshop. Oh my god I can't believe I ever thought you could manage accessory storage in general with just one chest, even not counting duplicates :suicide:

The farthest I had considered for "Fancy" sorting was biome specific non equippable materials. Like a Corruption chest for "This came from the Corruption Scenery/Enemies but isn't equippable". (A quick check shows there are just 15 kinds of seeds, so Deathweed seeds would probably end up in a Seeds chest like you suggested).

My main concern is underestimating all the stuff that doesn't stack, basically. For example, I'm only just now doing a general search for "Melee" and holy loving poo poo even if you ignored "Tin Vs Copper" and thrown weapons that's still basically over 100 items. I'd be happy with broad categories so I'd know "Okay, Melee poo poo is there, Ammo based weapons is there, and over here is my overflowing collection of umbrella hats and a chest filled entirely with wood and stone."

EDIT:

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I think having bots you could "program" to do basic tasks like drilling in a single direction or laying wire would be amazing.

I've been building NPC houses and sticking biome-related stuff in those. So I have a yellow stucco home for my fisherman with a palm wood chest with sand and shark fins, the dryad is in a living tree house with my wood. It's a bit of a hassle running around town if you need a bunch of different stuff but easy to remember where to get it.

Some kind of "Please deliver goods in chest area A to chest area B" system would be cool wishful thinking bit. You have a beach house, shove all your beach loot into chests, and it gets delivered to your main base.

Then again any such NPC would probably be murdered by a Unicorn, or open the trapdoor covering your hellevator.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Alternatively just seal up the entrances so medusas don't go wandering in.

That... probably doesn't work.

All my medusas seen so far have been wandering in the jungle underground. The first Marble Biome I've seen is a smallish thing, with a closed wall on one side, and a 40 tile gap with a two screen drop between it's opening and any jungle surface, and too steep for a Medusa to make it's way up to where I've seen 3/4 of em. When I've actually been IN that chunk of marble biome, no medusas. I guess because then they couldn't try to turn me to stone when they are in dark waters I couldn't see them in ahead of time in the marble biome.

PS: tried sealing it with a quick patchjob of lots of mud. Didn't help.

EDIT: vvv While I doubt they can stone you through the walls, the problem I am saying is that they wouldn't give a poo poo about walls and just probably spawn past said walls and all encasement of any shred of marble or marble wall (if any of them are out of sight) because gently caress you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 24, 2015