Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I somehow lost all of my old data, so I had to start from scratch. The early game is so frustrating with its limited mobility options. I need to do some serious searching for health crystals, but mining is so slow. I got a rich mahogany wand from a jungle shrine, so I know what I'm doing for a base at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Found some arrows. Bee's Knees (the bow) is amazing: It shoots an "arrow" made of a bunch of bees as a normal arrow, and when it hits something, each bee goes off and does it's own thing.

All of the information type accessories do now. It's pretty amazing.

They also have another huge crafting tree item, much like the ankh shield, that even combines with your magic mirror. I'd love to make one, but it looks like one of the ingredients is a rare drop from Nymphs, which are rare enough as it is.

Also, is there any trick to finding the Skeleton Merchant?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Akett posted:

According to the wiki the drop from the nymphs is 100%, though I can't verify this because I haven't seen a nymph since before the update.

Really? I saw one earlier today but it got away.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I've got two lava charms right now, so I know they exist. What I need are water walking boots and an anklet of the wind, so I can get my frostspark and lava wader boots. I really wish I hadn't lost my old character with my corrupted Windows install. Getting all the basic QOL items all over again is such a pain. :argh: Ankh Shield!

I love all the little improvements, though. Slime Saddle is great now that it has a dedicated slot and I can use weapons while riding. Not having to equip my GPS is a great thing, too.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

There's only 2 things that can only be caught in the sky and one of them is a quest item.

According to the wiki, there are now biome-specific fishing crates, and the sky one can have sky chest items in it. With a lucky pyramid and sky lake, you can craft a bundle of balloons without any world-hopping.

Anyways, fishing is ridiculous. I spent about a half-hour on gathering bait (worm + star) and sonar potions, doing a couple quests, and fishing in the sea a bit, and now I have a better hook than the gem hook I was using, the best pre-hardmode pick, and a tiny minotaur following me around.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Are there any reason for using sonar potions? It seems like at best you get exactly as advertised, and at worst your line snaps and you know exactly what you lost. Does it help with fishing somehow?

Sonar potions are the best. If you don't like what you see, it doesn't cost anything but time to just wait until it displays something else before clicking. It's the only way to avoid getting a zillion bass from forest lakes.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Does the money trough just let you access your piggy bank inventory, or is it a separate container? I don't have one yet, but if it gives a new inventory, like the safe, I'll get ready to go all out on the next blood moon. I think one of the reasons I don't have it yet is that Eskimo zombies replace one of the enemies that can drop it.

Never mind, the wiki says now, and its just your regular piggy bank stuff.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So since certain ores are equivalent to each other, like iron and lead, does each map only pick 1 of each tier?

Yes.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Going super slow, but I'm about at Plantera now. I got two broken swords in the span of two eclipses (on consecutive days), so I have my Terra Blade. I feel like my Legendary Seedler is doing more damage at medium range, though. Now I just need a bunch of Chlorophyte for Turtle Armor.

Are the other Hardmode fishables any good? Seedler is amazing, but I haven't gotten any of the others yet.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

RatHat posted:

Water candles/battle potions definitely affect critters. If you fish a lot and have a floating base you can place a water candle to get critters to spawn a lot underneath it. When it rains you can get tons of worms to turn into enchanted nightcrawlers.

I made about a dozen enchanted nightcrawlers and used about two. When you use sonar and crate potions to fish, it's pretty easy to get a bunch of crates without wasting bait on useless catches. I got about six Master Baits in my first three minutes, and since better bait is less likely to be consumed, that total has trended up over time.

Basically, once you start Master Baiting, you never stop.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Defunct Prodigy posted:

Question about fishing since I stopped playing after finishing the Frost Moon and am trying to get used to the new additions after coming back. Are the completion rewards cumulative across characters?

Like the wiki lists the golden fishing pole as guaranteed after doing 30 quests. If I've done 10 on 3 different characters will it drop or does it all have to be done with one?

It's cumulative for one character between different worlds, but not between multiple characters in the same world.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Also two bugs I've seen people mention here:
- Fixed Cultists ritual blocking Martian Probe from spawning.
- Fixed Goblin Scouts despawning not spawning.

Oh, good. I just beat Golem, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to fight the martians.

EDIT - "Fixed Seedler projectiles not counting as melee / not getting flask effects." Seedler even more powerful now! What's a good flask to make a bunch of for bosses or events?

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 13, 2015

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Section Z posted:

While I am ignorant baby in the ways of good building, I'd figure if there is no toggle than your best course of action is to hammer out where you want the windows to be, then use smart cursor. Smart cursor placement will not do the whole "knock out old wall" bit.

loving sweet. I may actually hit hard mode this time around yet. I'm already as far in as I've ever been, minus an Eye kill (note to self explore deeper to pass 180 health). Gold gear didn't last very long. "I've scraped up enough for gold stuff beyond a pickaxe, now I can-ooh a meteor *builds and equips meteor set+gun, Saber and hamaxe*" Am I crazy for preferring the visual style of the Silver Armor though?

I am really, really glad my first world for 1.3 was Corruption, Iron, Silver, Gold for familiarity reasons. I got Tin instead of Copper, but the metals that matter to me are all familiar.

I was sure my first 1.3 world was going to be pure vanilla. I got corruption, copper, iron, silver, gold, cobalt, mythril, and then broke the pattern with titanium.

After beating Golem, I went around looking for a martian invasion. I was not ready. The nurse, steampunker, mechanic, and tax collector were the only NPCs to survive. I eventually realized that the silly surface cave near my base was set up perfectly for yoyoing saucers to death. Before that, a lot more of them killed me than vice versa, though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

That's twice now I've had the lunatic cultist on the ropes after a 5+ minute fight, and I accidentally click my cell phone and teleport home. Wasn't there an option to disable switching weapons by clicking? I thought that was a thing, but I can't find it in the options menu.

Fake edit: never mind, I just found it. Its the little lock icon that only shows up when your inventory is open.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Man, 17 Stardust Fragments. This means I have to beat the Nebula Pillar before I can make one of the summon items. Stardust Dragon is my best option, right?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, first encounter with Moon Lord went about as well as I expected. I have my very own spacewhale now, though! How big do I make a minecart track for kiting around ML? I'd like to take him down next time around.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Moon Lord down! Now to decide which armor set to go for first. I've been mainly using melee, but I'm considering switching to one of the others. Is a mage worthwhile solo? How about summoner with this nifty meteor dropping sword as backup?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

It's a bit of a kludge, but platforms count as walls and doors for housing, even when stacked vertically. If you use three actuated blocks next to three platforms with buttons on either side, you can have your spawn point stick around.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Verviticus posted:

so i have a map with multiple crimson biomes, but under my pyramid is a small little bubble of corrupt grass. no corrupt dirt, stone or blocks... just grass. A: am i still going to get crimson on hardmode and B: can i use this to somehow make a cool combined crimson/corruption biome or something? is this little bubble going to infect after hardmode if i leave it alone?

Underground, moss can grow in various colors, including red and purple. It probably isn't actually corrupt grass, sorry to say.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

In case anyone else is having this problem: I couldn't find truffle worms at all on our tshock server. After loading up a different world in single player I found 15 in 30 minutes. We also have people that are hundreds and hundreds of bats in without a trifold map, and I bet that's related to tshock as well.

If you're having trouble finding items/enemies on a tshock server, try elsewhere

I've never used tshock, but I had close to a thousand pixie kills, with plenty of clocks and apples, and somehow I never found a megaphone. I finally gave up and edited a megaphone and a fish finder onto my character. Everything else I've done in the game is legitimate, but I've farmed an Ankh Shield once before, and the fishing gear is busy work and dice rolling.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah but killing the tower is easy (or at least it was for my yoyo man). The hard part of the pillars is living long enough to rack up 200 kills and bring down the shields.

It's cheesy and slow, but when I'm having trouble knocking down the shield on a pillar, I go back and forth over the border of where the background changes, so only a manageable number of pillar enemies spawn at once.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is that a valuable drop? I have like three of those things in a chest somewhere. They seem worthless. "Oh hey there's gold somewhere near you" is not exactly valuable information with no context.

It's an ingredient of the cellphone. All those information accessories (some of which are pretty handy (the watch at the very least)) now take up zero inventory space, since you're obviously not going to leave your magic mirror at home. I had everything except for any of the three fishing ones before I went ahead and used an inventory editor. I still haven't gotten any of those three from quests. My angler is extremely stingy.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Ariong posted:

Megashark it is. One more thing: DO you need two yo-yos to make full use of the yo-yo bag or can I sell this second Amarok?

It duplicates the one you're using.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I went melee right up to Moon Lord and had little trouble. Then I picked up a Last Prism and a Nebula armor set and never looked back. It's too bad you basically need to beat the game before you can get that combination, but at least I can be the vengeful god of my expert mode world and also tear pumpkin and frost moons to pieces without any setup. Also, the patch notes claimed that Razorblade Typhoon was nerfed, but it's actually better in every way now than it was before 1.3.

The only things I really have left to do in the game are beat expert Golem, Fishron, and Moon Lord, and finish building a base worth showing off.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

How do you use last prism, manaflower and hundreds of mana pots so you can fire for a few seconds to melt bosses?

Shackles, Nebula set, and a mana regen potion don't let you fire it continuously, but with the mystic modifier, I can get the straight beam for a second or two, and it only takes about a second to go back to full mana from zero. For invasions, you want the spread beam for crowd control anyway.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Metos posted:

They're decent, and make some good sense on paper, but after trying them both it really is a case of for most of what you're fighting the Dragon will just destroy it and have moved on while the cell is still applying it's dots.

The problem with Stardust Dragon (and also spiders) is that he is considered piercing damage. Enemies can only take damage from one piercing source at a time, so a backup dragon minion will override your main weapon if it pierces. This is very obvious if you use Razorblade Typhoon against an enemy with high hp. The homing shots won't even target it while it is taking damage from the dragon. From what I can tell, the cells don't have this problem. For exploring or building, the dragon is perfect.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I've actually found a corrupt spot deep in my underground jungle post Moon Lord. It's the weirdest thing. The spot had converted the existing jungle grass to corrupt grass. It wasn't very big at all. Of course, I had to clentaminate it and now there's a tiny patch of green grass growing amidst the jungle. :psyduck:

You sure it wasn't red moss? It looks crimson related, but has nothing to do with it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mailer posted:

Also, as a general early Hardmode query, does the Witch Doctor actually need to have his house in the underground jungle or can I just temporarily drag him over to a room with a statue to buy the wings?

Surface jungle works fine, but I think you do need his house to be there.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

I couldn't find anything in the wiki, is there any way to increase your line of sight or reveal distance or whatever?

If you're playing on a low resolution: play on a higher resolution.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

NB: Hardmode and expert mode are two distinct things in Terraria.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mile'ionaha posted:

Tried that, didn't work. He'd still hit me with his beam and occasional bullet, and I'd get slowly worn down. More details?

Seriously don't discount the value of buff potions. Well-fed (from most food) and regen are a minimum if you're having trouble with a boss. Have the potions/food in your inventory, and hit 'b' when the fight starts, and again whenever one wears off.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mile'ionaha posted:

Got those, too! Even hacked in the fishing potions, because gently caress fishing. I was using the Vortex Beater, I'll try the Daybreak.

Yeah, using a ranged weapon with a melee armor set may have contributed, too. Daybreak is great for minecart kiting the moonlord.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Plantera is by far my worst boss. It's a pain to find, a pain to build an arena for and a pain to fight once you do.

One of my most useful artificial biomes was built as follows:

-Dig out an arena-sized pit.
-Add one-block-thick rows of mud a bit more than character-height apart.
-Put platforms directly underneath the mud.
-Add actuators to the mud (not the platforms) and wire it to a single switch.
-Plant jungle grass.

Life fruits and Plantera bulbs frequently spawn, flipping the switch will start the fight and clear out the obstacles, and when you're done you can clentaminate it into a mushroom and truffle worm farm.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You lost me at the first step, if only because I mostly play expert mode and "an arena sized pit" becomes "mine out 90% of your jungle because the main hallow stripe ate it"

I built it right by my home base. You plant jungle grass, you get jungle, whether the natural biome is still around or not.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

If I remember, the Truffle biome needs to be underground to spawn him, on top of being a suitable house and in the mushroom biome.

I made a mushroom UFO just a little below space to house the Truffle and Cyborg once. Underground is definitely not required.

e:f;b

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Does anyone know of a mod or something to allow for hotkeys that use a hotbar item one time without having to switch back to the item you were using before? I'd really like to be able to do this with my Rod of Discord.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nvm it works. Was having trouble verifying it was doing anything on a Paladin but tried again on a Wyvern and it was easier to tell thanks to all the segments popping up damage. Really low DPS according to the meter though. I understand that it's for stunlocking enemies, but it seems like all the ones that you'd bother trying that on (bosses) would also be immune to stun-locking. Hard pass on this gun getting an inventory slot. It seems like by the time you get this dungeon chest open you already have better weapons.

Piranha Gun's advantage isn't high DPS, it's that after the initial shot, it's fire-and-forget. After chewing through the first enemy, it will go on to the next until the screen is clear. You just hold down the button and dodge. Eclipses in particular, it can be hard to see where everything is coming from, and it's best to stay on the move.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Isn't its fire-and-forget DPS massively eclipsed by chlorophyte bullets?

Indubitably. Free is a lot cheaper than chlorophyte, though, and bullets get stopped by walls. Ultimately it doesn't rise above the status of neat gimmick weapon, but it can be handy in some situations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

How are y'all not using Staff of Regrowth for gardening? It makes the whole thing much easier.

There is one weird thing about it, though. You'll get seeds from non-blooming plants if you plant on dirt, but in a planter box or pot, you get the feature of only harvesting blooming plants (and harvesting extra seeds/flowers). For maximum benefit, plant most stuff in planters, but firebloom and deathweed in dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I haven't tried growing fireblossom or deathweed yet, but just to be clear, planting them into dirt won't work, right? For fireblossom don't you need ash, and for deathweed don't those need to go in evil grass blocks?

Good point. I always use planter boxes for everything. I'm afraid I pulled that last sentence out of my rear end. It seemed smart at the time.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What about sky crates as an infinite source for all those?

And don't ocean chests basically duplicate what's found in water chests?

Biome crates were a relatively late addition. I don't think most veterans account for them, especially since they are even rarer than most crates and don't even always have a chest item.