Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I finally actually looked a the achievement list.

Mecha Mayhem
Do battle against the Twins, the Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime simultaneously and emerge victorious.

I, uh, guess everyone is expected to be Yrimir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I just got a new bow drop from Queen Bee.

It turns your (specifically wooden, I guess) arrows into "columns of bees"

:shepface:

I need some wooden arrows.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Found some arrows. Bee's Knees (the bow) is amazing: It shoots an "arrow" made of a bunch of bees as a normal arrow, and when it hits something, each bee goes off and does it's own thing.

Ambaire posted:

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but has the GPS always worked in your inventory? Because it and the R.E.K. 3000 both function while in your inventory; they don't need to be in your accessory slots. So awesome.

I started a new character and world for this update, and I don't ever remember having so much fun. I lucked out early on and found the Enchanted Sword in the granite sub-biome and it slaughters everything pre-hardmode. I haven't started hardmode yet.

Also, yo-yos are amazing once you realize you can freely move it around for the duration while holding the mouse button.

All of the information type accessories do now. It's pretty amazing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dareon posted:

There's also a mystic dropper sold by the Wizard that can be filled with water, lava, or honey (Via crafting with a pool by a crystal ball). I haven't played with it, so I don't know precisely, but it's possible that could either dupe fluids, or suck up mass quantities of fluids to be placed elsewhere.

It, er, appears to be furniture. But I don't have the slightest idea where I'm allowed to place it.

Oh, now I see. You put it in a tile, and it does that little dropper cosmetic thing they added.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Knifegrab posted:

Is there anyway to force a server to only allow Hardcore characters? Or at the very least only allow characters who are new? Its weird having a server where people can join with all teh best stuff to from the get-go...

Being a hardcore character wouldn't prevent them from doing that...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

Were old worlds purged at some point? Booted this back up after a couple of years and my world was gone.

Anyway since I'm starting new again I've got a few questions.

- Are invasion events still almost impossible to solo(and get to the end)?
- Does the developer still like to nerf anything remotely powerful/popular?
- What is the earliest hook, wings, and mount you can get?

-Invasion events were never almost impossible to solo, just took a lot more work and lots of traps
-It's only been 2 days, give it time.
-Depends on your luck. Though Wings it's definitely Leaf.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eric the Mauve posted:

Okay, I'll risk embarrassment and ask.

The Lava Charm is actually a thing that is in the game, right? I have 180 hours in this game thus far and have yet to see one. The wiki says it's in cavern gold chests; is that accurate? I know it's supposed to be ultra-rare but I've probably opened 500 gold chests by now for gently caress's sake :mad:

It is in fact a thing. A rare thing (expect maybe 2 or 3 a world), but a thing.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So playing a while, I have determined that this game needs Cloud Furniture, and then it can be left alone forever, because it's now pretty close to perfect (to me).

... maybe also raincloud furniture. That drips water.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems like yoyos are so good that there's almost no reason to use most swords anymore? I'm not sure what the hardmode yoyo situation looks like but pre-hardmode all the best swords I used to be excited about seem strictly outclassed.

Meowmere and Star Wrath are pretty good.

Not as conventional swords, but they're pretty good.

I need to get a Last Prism, though. Kamehameha-ing is fun.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DrManiac posted:

I think i'm stuck on hard mode.

I'm generally following this guide

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Walkthrough#Hardmode

I'm at the part where I should be gearing up for the mech bosses but my current set doesn't seem to be working well. My current go-to is a full set of titanium armor, the amarok yoyo (plus I managed to make a yo yo bag), wings and the warrior's emblem. I can get the worm to about 70% before he pushes my poo poo in.

Melee weapons aren't actually very good against bosses. You just don't want to be that close to them. Yoyo's make it a lot better, but it'll still usually be easier early on to just use ranged or magic.

Later melee weapons fire projectiles, so they work great.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mondlicht posted:

Hello, it's me, a Starbound refugee.

I'm glad that the guide is so eager to open the door to my hovel and quickly close it as soon as he lets a zombie in. I'm sure these are just teachable moments.

At least he'll also kill it for you now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ashsaber posted:

Minecarts outpace him. Make a circular track where you get up to speed and then leave it, add a teleporter from your base, then you can teleport over before he spawns, hop in your cart and be almost untouchable (he may still hit you every other loop or so). If you're near death, mirror back home, heal from the nurse, teleport back and repeat.

Can you post a picture? Sounds interesting.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Uh.

Huh.

So I decided to try out the slime mount I finally got around to getting. So I went to fight Skeletron. Started bouncing on his head and shooting down at him.

This worked pretty well. Right up until he said "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out", and started flying up. And up. And up.

Eventually, I was in space, fell off his head, but he kept going up.

So, er, apparently Skeletron despises this poo poo so much he leaves the planet. He didn't come back down, either.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pyroi posted:

So, the Stardust set?

It gives you a Stand.

It is the "Stardust" set, after all.

Shame this game is kinda lacking in the sfx department, could really use some Ora Ora Ora's in it for this.

neurotech posted:

What is the furnace-looking item in the bottom right house?

Glass Kiln. Makes Glass Furniture AKA the most swag looking furniture there is.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

... poo poo, they're crafted nowadays? Well, I never use the bunny cannon anyway, though. But that's expensive as hell.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Huh.

When did they change the Avenger Emblem recipe from "grind Wall of Flesh FOREVER" to "Grind Wall of Flesh and the Mecha bosses for a bit"?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

neurotech posted:

How do you build automatic doors? Is it just two pressure plates, one either side of a door wired up?

Looks like he's just using actuators with pressure plates. They aren't doors, they're walls that disappear.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you telling me I can put all of my NPCs in attic rooms with no exterior doors, just platform hatches down into the main living area? :stare:

Sadly, it won't save them from the Destroyer

*just lost half his NPCs because the Destroyer was wandering around rather than fighting him*

Good for pretty much everything else, though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

There's no way to save corrupted worlds if the backup is corrupted too right?

Get a Clentaminator :smuggo:.

And by Clentaminator, I mean phenomenal cosmic fixing skills.

Which is to say, usually no.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Apparently you can farm Strange Plants with a Skybridge made entirely of dirt. Nothing but them grows on plain dirt, so they grow.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Safe Word posted:

Terraria 1.3 - This Old NPC Gulag

You guys are monsters

No, we're people who played Terraria before 1.3~!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, the Sponge has been advertised to me as being an "infinite bucket".

This is a highly disappointing advertisement.

Not only can it not absorb lava, thus ruining the most amazing function of the bucket, you can't even output what you absorb, as far as I can tell.

Back to the bucket-mobile. At least there's an infinite water bucket, but sadly no infinite lava bucket.

1.3.0.4 infinite lava bucket please Redigit!

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 6, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

Are the early yoyos worth crafting?

None of the Yoyos are worth crafting. The good ones are all drops.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kly posted:

does not facing her even work? that was the first thing I tried after one of them killed me for the first time and it didnt seem to matter if my back was to her or not.

It's actually the other way around. She can't be facing you. So if you somehow manage to be close enough and fast enough to see her, recognize her petrify animation, and manage to get behind her, you're good.

Needless to say, this will basically never happen.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
:catstare:

Sometimes I hate this game.

Like when, during a Solar Eclipse, a Deadly Sphere drops a Mythical Deadly Sphere Staff... and before I can safely pick it up, it despawns.

Or when a Mothron finally spawns right at the end of the Eclipse, flies around for a bit, then simply flies away like a douche. I want to upgrade from my Kraken dammit!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

pon alien posted:

The best hook is the bat hook from halloween bags because it is the fastest.

The Spooky and Christmas Hooks are just as fast with longer range anyway.

Hell, the new Lunar Hook's even faster.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Thyrork posted:

Goes faster after all the adds die. Goes even faster at lower health. Basically "build the highway in hell you should have been building anyway to defeat me." :shrug:

I imagine being melee in expert mode against the wall is a terrible experience.

Isn't it a pretty terrible experience being Melee against in normal mode too.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pierson posted:

How do you guys do stairs effectively? I'm remodelling a grand hall and trying to go for some kind of grand staircase but I don't know how.

Platforms actually make straight up staircases if you make them diagonal. They'll do it automatically if you use autotarget, and you can change them into it with your hammer if not.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I finally got around to Expert mode Mechanical bosses. And got the Mechanical Cart.

:stare:

It goes 102 MPH!

(For the record, Lightning Boots on Asphalt is only 64 MPH)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

President Ark posted:

The clothier sells a cosmetic item that lets you have your hair dangling out while still wearing a helmet. It's handy if you wear one of the UI-related hair dyes - the ones that change color depending on your mana/health.

Who the heck would waste money on that when you could have

:cheers:

Kickass shades?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Acne Rain posted:

Is it possible to successfully take down duke fishron with anything besides cholorphyte bullets?
They're pretty annoyingly expensive especially when I just spent all mine on making gear and need to wait for regrowth

Just make a chlorophyte farm in the underworld. Spreads like crazy down there.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Wolpertinger posted:

Having now beat normal mode, I really wish they'd put a mode between normal and expert mode, or rebalance expert mode some - Normal mode is mostly a faceroll outside of the moon lord stuff, but doing expert mode with a few friends was really fun up until skeletron - we /nearly/ beat him enough that I'm sure we could have managed with a little more work, but from what I've heard and seen hardmode bosses are just flat out unfair. Requiring near-perfect dodging just isn't reasonable with all that extreme damage bosses start doing on expert.

Not really. The only expert mode boss that's significantly different is Eye of Cthulu with his crazy dash spam (and arguably Skeletron with his defense schtick). The rest of them are just flat out numbers. It's not really any different to how you would play them on normal mode, you just have less room for error.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh crap. Is there a Boreal version too? I have a dumb idea about a winter treefort and now I'm tempted to hunt down one so it'll match the trees.

Nah, they added the mahogany version for those trees in the underground jungle. There's nothing like that for Boreals.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pakled posted:

Yeah, but you won't know where sky islands are without some sort of flying ability unless you either cheat or manually check every screen-sized portion of sky by building dirt blocks up. So I guess I should say it's not impossible to get to them without flying or gravitation potions (after which you can build a rope down), but it's either cheating or incredibly tedious to do so.

They're generally all at around the same height, so if you find one you can find them all. Given that you can just build a rope ladder up to space, jump off, and, with a parasol (which is reasonably common) cover a lot of air space just from that, it's not really that hard.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I gotta admit we are beating expert hardmode bosses by being a lot of people throwing themselves at them (around 10), which means less chance of everyone dying at once and the boss despawning. Even then, we beat skeletron prime seconds before dawn. I don't think I'd play expert solo or on small numbers, though.

It's actually not that bad Solo. Expert hates partying up.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Xenaero posted:

You guys are so smart, I never woulda thought about a chlorophyte farm. Shame it doesn't work in the sky.

It actually might, it would just be slow as all gently caress if it does. Chlorophyte's growth speed increases as you go down. So the fairly eh speed that you actually see in the jungle is actually bad. In an Underworld farm, it will literally be growing while you're building the farm.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

How big do you make the mud surrounding them? I know the go-to size before was 5x5.

I just do a huge row of 3xwhatever, and put Chlorophyte in every other space on the second row.. Quicker to mine it up when I'm done. I should probably make it bigger, but I love my automine.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Freakazoid_ posted:

Here's a mostly built airship.

I didn't get to the finer details because I built it on a friend's server and now it's down for a couple weeks while he's on vacation.

Where's the pipe at the end that you go into to fight the Koopa Kid?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

oddium posted:

i appreciate that you kept the goblin and the mechanic together

So I'm wondering if there has ever been anyone who made a house of pixel art Terrarian Gothic.

And housed Goblin and Mechanic in it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mountaineer posted:

I tried to make a Greek temple. Any suggestions to make it better or more interesting?

I really wish I could paint those mannequins white so they'd look like a marble relief sculpture :(

Statues. Statues everywhere. It's a very greek thing.

Possibly also put it on top of a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Just one shot Skeletron in expert. A simple arena with heart lantern and bonfire combined with basic buffs yielded a clean kill. There isn't anything special in the expert dungeon right? I'm going to need to go to another world to get abeemonation materials but oh well.

I'm using ranged gear right now, switching between a minishark for bosses and shotgun for mobs. I've been lucky with reforges on accessories and have 3/5 warding with the others armored and hard. That 6th slot is going to be incredible.

Any tips for expert wall of flesh? Beenades and what else?

Maximum Bee Power. Beenades and Bee's Knees.

Combined with the Hive Pack.