Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't read much at all. But I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir. That was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Excited to see more done with votefinder.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I get around that by not using doublevoters.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

I think it's silly to completely dismiss an entire category of role just because a robot says it's inconvenient.

I think it's inconvenient. As you said, I can be there to be very inconvenienced by it or I can be a little inconvenient to the players.

...or I can find something else to do.

I don't use lots of different types of roles because I think they're unfun garbage. But it'd be fine if there was built in support for vote manipulating roles.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oh Jeez. I hope that wasn't important, Runaktla.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's weird. I made some off-handed remark about wanting a nomination for a Golden Lynchee to Opop in a PM yesterday.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I need someone who doesn't mind replacing into a game currently in Night 4 with 12 players remaining with the stipulation that you must post enough to make up for the person you're replacing.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 15, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's someone's birthday today. :toot:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A Met game without a stupid amount of power roles? Must be a gimmick game.

You'd be right.

Neighbor Mafia

I have a Halloween thing planned for October so I wanted to get a game going between my other one and that one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Neighbor Mafia is now Bob's Burgers Themed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Via PM

quote:

Xythar wrote on Sep 20, 2015 05:51:
I have access to [the Wiki] but I'd have to look into how to allow registrations. I don't think I was the one who disabled it, probably Ecco. Something in the config file, I'd guess. My PM box here is almost full and I don't check SA very often anymore so if this is still an issue could you contact me on Twitter (@Xythar), IRC (#mafia on synIRC or #vivid on Rizon), or email me at xythar@gmail.com? Easier to talk that way, and sorry for the late reply.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

if you had asked me I'd have told you (as I have been saying since it happened) that Twelvebaud is the actual tech person for the wiki; he closed down registrations to stop the atrocious spambot problem we kept having and install new captcha software, but he then disappeared/maybe died irl (nobody knows).

quote:

TwelveBaud wrote on Sep 20, 2015 19:19:
Hi Met,

That, unfortunately, is not a thing that is within my power. Only EccoRaven can do that. (Or soru, Ardent, or Xythar, if you can find them, or TLB if you conduct a seance...)

I wrote an anti-spam plugin (if a user signs up, and their first edit is to create a minor page (which cannot normally be done), delete the page and the user and blacklist the IP) for the really old version of MediaWiki that Ecco has installed, and it worked fine on my machine, but something broke when Ecco tried to use it. Ecco responded by turning off registration entirely, and Ecco's the only active user left with administrative rights.

TwelveBaud

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And an unrelated thing:

[8:02:30 PM] Met: Trying to find out who controls the wiki to get registrations open
[8:02:41 PM] Chic: man
[8:02:42 PM] Allen Wren: loving christ
[8:02:49 PM] Chic: I've tried to put my games that aren't on the wiki on the wiki
[8:02:53 PM] Chic: but the edit never sticks
[8:03:05 PM] Chic: like I edit it and put my games on there but then mysteriously they dissappear
[8:03:09 PM] Allen Wren: yeah, access to the wiki is hosed up
[8:03:44 PM] Met: I brought this up in the discussion thread but I know it's easy to miss because:
[8:03:46 PM] Met: "We really need to split the Discussion thread to Crew and actual Mafia discussion threads"
[8:04:13 PM] Allen Wren: I don't entirely agree, but I don't think the idea of a split is bad
[8:04:41 PM] Allen Wren: I just assume that the game-chat thread will just kind of wither.
[8:05:12 PM] Met: Remember when I sent messages to a few hundred old timers to help spur Mafia activity? The number one reason people weren't interested in keeping up with things was that the discussion thread is a hot mess that isn't fun to keep up with.
[8:05:25 PM] Allen Wren: People are actually saying that?
[8:05:28 PM] Met: Yeah
[8:05:29 PM] Allen Wren: Well, poo poo.
[8:05:38 PM] Allen Wren: Split away, then.
[8:06:52 PM] Chic: yeah
[8:06:58 PM] Chic: that's why I don't read the discussion thread
[8:07:14 PM] Chic: it's a real mess

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Interesting to note that the game announcement thread allows for discussion of mafia games even though nobody does it

I wouldn't care for that, myself. I like that thread to be easily scroll-able to see the latest games.

Amoeba102 posted:

So who updates the current games on the wiki?

Automated from votefinder.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

addendum:

quote:

TwelveBaud wrote on Sep 20, 2015 20:15:
http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=sysop

*shrug*

quote:

Met wrote on Sep 20, 2015 23:11:
Already checked Xythar. Soru appeared at some point to give Votefinder to someone else to take care of. No idea about Ardent.

Ecco seems to think it's you who has the power here, so I'm at a dead end if Ardent doesn't turn out well.

quote:

TwelveBaud wrote on Sep 20, 2015 19:19:
Hi Met,

That, unfortunately, is not a thing that is within my power. Only EccoRaven can do that. (Or soru, Ardent, or Xythar, if you can find them, or TLB if you conduct a seance...)

I wrote an anti-spam plugin (if a user signs up, and their first edit is to create a minor page (which cannot normally be done), delete the page and the user and blacklist the IP) for the really old version of MediaWiki that Ecco has installed, and it worked fine on my machine, but something broke when Ecco tried to use it. Ecco responded by turning off registration entirely, and Ecco's the only active user left with administrative rights.

TwelveBaud

PM'd Ardent. Ecco, if there's anything you can try on your end that'd be cool.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 21, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Epsilon Plus posted:

remember the like twenty million times it's been suggested that we start a new wiki, and ten million times it was suggested so we could avoid these conversations

I tried recently. It was beyond my skills and motivation so I ended up making a spreadsheet instead.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

And the problem with making two mafia threads - one for game-related chat and another for "crew" chat - is that we've done it before and it was just awful. And it didn't even work: I literally used to be the person posting every week to tell people to move their non-mafia chat to the other thread, and it made me even more disliked than I am today (which is saying something!).

It's unfortunate that we as a community can't have a Mafia-Only thread without inevitably going off-topic, and it's unfortunate that we can't have a "crew-thread" without getting terribly cliquey. The community decided a long time ago that having both in the same thread was best. If that turns off a significant number of potential players (who also don't know to just subscribe to the New Game Announcement Thread) then oh well.

Unless you want to be the "shut up and stop posting about not-mafia" person, Met. Do you want that job? It's a lot of fun, it's like being an RA except for internet shutins.

I didn't realize it's been done and people couldn't help themselves. Bummer. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
First and foremost, Asiina, why didn't you use the tag for this thread? Now I have to design a game to use it.

EccoRaven posted:

going through the wiki's settings on the off-chance it's something really simple like a button and it'll reactivate registrations.

I'm not seeing it at a glance but if anyone wants to know what the spambot problem was like here is a preview:
http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/w/index.php?title=Special:BlockList&limit=500

and this doesn't even include deletions for their spam pages and rolling back edits to real articles (they liked the Game List a lot).

Would something like a captcha help with that? I'm not too certain how helpful those kinds of things are these days.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm also considering running a WoW game and posting a thread linking to it in the WoW subforum. I'd run the game itself in the WoW subforum, but I don't think I'd be able to go without votefinder.

Or is it possible to use votefinder in a game in a different subforum?

You can put in a link to any SA thread into votefinder when you're adding a game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Also you are saying completely untrue things. There is mafia chat in this thread and it's mixed in with the regular discussion because that's how people discuss things. They move from topic to topic.

The real complaint seems to be that some people see a big thread with a lot of posts and find that impenetrable, which is fair but also not really a problem to be solved by the community.

Normal threads on this forum have standards about keeping on topic.

I don't understand why this thread being impenetrable is a problem that can't or shouldn't be solved. Some people really dig the Crew discussion and that's great. It will never hurt for activity. But a separate Mafia chat will have a better time retaining people who want to stay in the community without riding the roller coaster that is this thread. We lose good friendly people all the time that just can't keep up.

Someone wants to take a break from playing Mafia. Now every time they open their SA Mafia feed there's 200 posts per day that have little to do with mafia to catch up on or skip. Just imagine you're the kind of person who doesn't want to ever read that or just doesn't have the time commitment to read it like you used to. I think it's a lot more difficult than you realize to jump back in.

If it was me, I'd rather take my Mafia break but still read the 10-20 Mafia-specific posts per day. Being able to do a quick scroll and see the Mafia-specific discussion, the posts announcing that a game has ended in a ~~Mafia~~ victory, and knowing the onslaught of the Crew thread is a single thread away is actually rather inviting. It keeps me engaged and willing to come back sooner because it provides an easy way to keep up with things.

It's a Choose-Your-Own-Commitment.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Oh, and having a game sitting in signups for a while isn't a bad thing at all, because people die in games or they finish up a big project at work and have some free time, and having a new game available for them to sign up is nice.

The problem here is someone who signs up wanting to, you know, play a game. Now they have to wait a week or sign up for multiple games. Some people don't have the ability to commit to simultaneous games.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

But what's the other option? Have games be posted so infrequently that they fill up instantly? That's the same problem in that "I want to play mafia now but I can't" but now there's even fewer games because they're on some schedule or something along those lines.

Either you have games waiting for signups or you have games that fill up quickly and no games in signups. Those are the options.

If there's a problem of many games trying to get players at the same time and splitting the playerbase, then we can talk about how people should wait to open their games if there are other games currently in signups, which is a big part of the reason I wanted to keep track of what games were in signups in the OP. We don't need a queue, just people being considerate and not undercutting other people trying to run a game by having to open theirs RIGHT NOW! Which I say as someone who has been guilty of that, and I'll try to be mindful of in the future.

Having more people wanting to play mafia than signups available in games is a problem that solves itself. People are naturally inclined to start games if there's interest.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

We become even more cliquish than we are now and we turn into the GoT TVIV threads where things being posted in the wrong thread is the topic of conversation every other page.

I'm not sure how you get more cliquish than to say people should just deal with one thread where actual Mafia discussion is drowned out by your mini social network.

Asiina posted:

If someone wants to make a mafia theory thread for the discussion of mafia theory, they are more than welcome to. I will link it in the OP. I will not be closing or moving this thread to another subforum.

Is this what you've been thinking? This is exactly what I've been saying. Let's just make it clear which thread is silly and which thread is Mafia.

Look Under The Rock posted:

You're a lovely example of how easily a motivated new player can assimilate into the community. In the space of playing one game with you, I felt like I knew you a little. You were enthusiastic and involved. You jumped into our community spaces, like the DJ room and conversations in this thread, and you were friendly and fun to talk to. You're my favorite new player in a really really long time.

I have two points in saying this. Bottle got really involved because he wanted to get really involved. You can't force anyone to get more involved than they want to be, and at a certain point, all these "barriers to entry" lose their value if they're broken down -- without so much off topic chat, I wouldn't be half as fond of Bottle as I am. It really is up to a new person to catch onto the way our community works, nobody can do that for them. For example, back in the days where IRC was The Thing, it was really hard to be an active community member if you weren't on IRC. But I never heard any discussion like "we should shut down the IRC channel because it's cliquey/blocking newbies from being involved" even though the IRC crew were the cliquiest people in the community.

My second point though, is that we CAN make things a little easier. If I were in charge of the OP, I'd add just a couple lines near the top like "we chat about off-topic stuff a lot, don't feel pressure to keep up with every post, skip to the end and add your 2 cents" or something.

As for Actual Discussion Of Mafia, the reason we don't need a separate thread is twofold: 1) newbies are not going to discuss new features of votefinder and the wiki, they are not going to have opinions about whether or not death millers have a place in a closed setup, they will not care to reminisce about Harry Potter Mafia. And having a totally separate thread to discuss those things will not pull veterans back in. If they wanted to play games, the new game announcement thread hasn't changed in ages, they could easily get into a game (and really, there's zero reason that thread couldn't be used for quick "hey, I'm writing a NEW GAME please PM me if you're willing to look at the setup" posts). Complaining that this thread is too bloated with off topic stuff is pointless, it's like lovely Wok showing up every 50 pages saying "what did I miss" and disappearing again. If Tuckfard suddenly decided he wanted to come back and chat about death millers, there is nothing stopping him from coming back and posting about death millers. No barrier = no reason to tear it down.

How do you ignore that old timers don't try and keep up because the discussion thread is usually a hot mess of off-topic discussion? You're right that nothing stops them from hitting last page and posting something Mafia related, but how do people who don't care for the mess but want to see the Mafia-related discussion get the chance to see it when they have to play needle-in-a-haystack to find the Mafia chat?

This thread is really terrible if you just want to enjoy Mafia discussion but don't care for the rest of it. There's totally a barrier whether it affects you or not.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Then once again, make a mafia theory thread that is just for mafia theory. I think policing threads for content is terrible in principle, leads to a whole bunch of inane "you posted this in the wrong thread" discussions, and is never going to be worth the effort.

If you think differently then prove me wrong. Make your thread. I will update the OP with a link to it and say that it is the thread for serious mafia theory discussion, and this thread is more casual, and we'll see how it goes.

Which is why forums only have one thread ever. Can't possibly have multiple threads with some guidelines and participant crossover. :v:

Why do you think we're going all 1984 with two threads?

If we end up splitting would you be okay rewriting OPs to better reflect the contents?

-Mafia Theory thread gets SA Mafia information, basic Mafia information, guides for Votefinder and modding, links to all the game related stuff (Votefinder, new game thread, supplementary material)
-Mafia Crew thread gets focuses on community projects, other forum games (Awful Survivor, Be a Raccoon), links to all the fun extra stuff like (Plug.dj, etc)

Because if it's really just "We're not going to change anything here but you go make your thread copying features we already have" instead of a true split, we're really not doing what we can to make sure it succeeds. There will be awkward wrong-thread posting when the OPs aren't clear for their thread's purpose. Is that something you're willing to change or are you unwilling to give it the chance?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

Except we're not the entire forum community. We're a small subcommunity within the larger Trad Games community within Games within SA. If we had our own forum then yes there would be the dinner thread and the what is your favourite colour thread and Ecco's roommate blog. If we want to make that jump (which I don't think anyone does, I certainly don't) then we can start separating out topics. As long as we stay here though, I don't think trying to divide things up is particularly fruitful.

I've already said, I have no interest in policing a thread for what is or is not on topic. You are the one who is saying that your mafia theory needs (and the needs of those you anonymously represent) are not being met in this thread, then go meet them. I think it's a bad idea and a waste of time so I'm not personally going to be enforcing it.

I'm not saying police or enforce anything. I'm saying rewrite the OP to better represent what we want the threads to be for. Please don't pretend like you're meeting me halfway when you're not even willing to move an inch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

You are the one who is saying that your mafia theory needs (and the needs of those you anonymously represent) are not being met in this thread, then go meet them.

Also, whose anonymous?

Met posted:

And an unrelated thing:

[8:02:30 PM] Met: Trying to find out who controls the wiki to get registrations open
[8:02:41 PM] Chic: man
[8:02:42 PM] Allen Wren: loving christ
[8:02:49 PM] Chic: I've tried to put my games that aren't on the wiki on the wiki
[8:02:53 PM] Chic: but the edit never sticks
[8:03:05 PM] Chic: like I edit it and put my games on there but then mysteriously they dissappear
[8:03:09 PM] Allen Wren: yeah, access to the wiki is hosed up
[8:03:44 PM] Met: I brought this up in the discussion thread but I know it's easy to miss because:
[8:03:46 PM] Met: "We really need to split the Discussion thread to Crew and actual Mafia discussion threads"
[8:04:13 PM] Allen Wren: I don't entirely agree, but I don't think the idea of a split is bad
[8:04:41 PM] Allen Wren: I just assume that the game-chat thread will just kind of wither.
[8:05:12 PM] Met: Remember when I sent messages to a few hundred old timers to help spur Mafia activity? The number one reason people weren't interested in keeping up with things was that the discussion thread is a hot mess that isn't fun to keep up with.
[8:05:25 PM] Allen Wren: People are actually saying that?
[8:05:28 PM] Met: Yeah
[8:05:29 PM] Allen Wren: Well, poo poo.
[8:05:38 PM] Allen Wren: Split away, then.
[8:06:52 PM] Chic: yeah
[8:06:58 PM] Chic: that's why I don't read the discussion thread
[8:07:14 PM] Chic: it's a real mess

You're being really disingenuous with your argument.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Look Under The Rock posted:

Met I came back because of your PMs but I think that doesn't discount the idea that if those vets actually wanted to play, they'd play. Be the change and all that. They just straight up aren't interested enough to make the effort; "the discussion thread is a mess" is a poor excuse. Ffs Tom Tucker popped in a while back. These people aren't even checking in, how would they know it's a mess?

It's not a "poor excuse" it's THE excuse. I don't understand why you don't think someone who doesn't enjoy the discussion thread would get tired of trying to follow Mafia here.

Again, just because the problem doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not important enough to address.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

uranus posted:

what do you want people to say? 'yes make a new thread'? because i think thats what everyone has been saying. there is just some disagreement on whether it will do any good. and also people not wanting to change anything about this thread. otherwise i doubt anyone will be opposed to there being another thread for mafia posts only.

What good is that going to do if Asiina won't make any changes to the purpose of this one? She says people won't split the discussion and she's going to make drat sure not to lift a finger to assist a split actually working out.

Kumbamontu posted:

We already have 2 threads: this and the new game announcement one, the latter of which was started by someone who, as someone who has been active in this community for the last 3 years, I don't even recognize. The vets that say this thread is too bogged down could just as easily be looking at that thread for games to join, but they don't, which indicates to me that they don't really care that much about playing mafia. I don't think creating a separate thread for just theory is going to fix that, but at the same time the New Game Announcement thread could use some TLC.

Why don't we just close that thread and replace it with "Mafia: Game Announcements & Theory" or whatever name you decide is appropriate and boom, best of both worlds problem solved zip zoom

e: vv hahah get owned

Because we still want recruiting games to be easily found and we don't want people to dig through Mafia discussion to find games that need sign ups?

Same song and dance.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kumbamontu posted:

Recruiting games are, currently, incredibly easy to find by virtue of that very thread already existing. If people are currently unable to find games that are recruiting, no amount of magic wand waving is going to fix that (imo)

How do you find games to play again? Do the Game Room?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

uranus posted:

what good is trying to regulate what people can and cant post about. its just going to make people (me) not want to post at all.

oh god. im a libertarian when it comes to internet forum posting. god help me

What? You can't continue to do everything you always do in this thread if it's essentially the same thread with 1/20 of the posts in another thread?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kumbamontu posted:

You could:

1) Look in the OP of this very thread
2) Look at the game announcement thread
3) Look at Votefinder for games in Day 0
4) ...post in this thread and ask

It is quite simple in fact

1) Surely that plan that will never fail because Asiina will always be here to update the OP.
2) You guys think Game announcement thread should have all the Mafia discussion as well so that wouldn't be an easy way to find games.
3) No one does Day 0 to recruit in votefinder.
4) Why rely on others when this information could be more easily available.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

And I'm the one not willing to compromise.

"I will solve literally none of your complaints. Why aren't you being compromising on that?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

chaoslord posted:

Met you are just being silly to the point that I think you are arguing just to argue at this point. Is the issue that people want to have a place to discuss mafia or is it that they can't find a game to play?

gently caress you. Trying to belittle this argument. This is for loving you and everyone else. We all loving gain by trying to appeal to a wider group of people and not the people that can stand the shitposting hub of Traditional Games that is this thread.

You can't even remember what it's about because half of you make it about completely irrelevant topics. Do you even realize how "People can't find a game to play" came about?

-Let's split the threads so people who aren't interested in the Crew Chat can still talk about Mafia
-Talk about Mafia in the Mafia announcement thread
-Then it will be harder to find Mafia games because the announcement thread is clogged with information not relevant to finding new games.
-There are so many other ways of finding games. *lists ways that make it harder to find games*
-No, all those ideas are terrible.
-I don't understand why you think it's so hard to find Mafia games here. Why do you like to argue?

You guys detract from the main point so hard and then argue everything else and make it sound like it was all about that.

Or maybe you found it difficult to keep track of the debate because of the considerate amount of useless content inbetween the debate points in this mess of a thread?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magnus Gallant posted:

Let's cease the debate. What would be the best case scenario in your opinion that would solve the problem?

Split the thread. Have the controller of this thread not be so against it that she's unwilling to rewrite the OP of this thread to reflect that it's a Crew thread.

This is for the Bottom half and those that don't even give Mafia here a chance because they look at the Discussion thread and find it to be a cliquey off-topic discussion thread.

Like I said, we all benefit by casting a wider net here. More new people. Higher retention.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CapitalistPig posted:

This is the easiest clique ever to join.

"Why, when I was your age I got a full time job just by walking in the front door with a can-do attitude."

Asiina posted:

I've already added that this thread can be off topic. I'm not removing information from the OP, that's absurd.

"This thread is for talking about Mafia mechanics, games, theory, and off-topic community stuff that takes up 90% of the thread.

This other thread is the same thing without the off-topic discussion. But I'm just going to keep using the big thread for that and then tell you your split didn't work."

By inaction you're actually working against it. Can't you see?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magnus Gallant posted:

Ok where should we host this thread?

Would you want to be the person who runs that thread?

Asiina would, I'm sure, be fine linking or mentioning the other thread in the op of this one.

...both threads would be right here in Traditional Games.

Who gives a poo poo who the OP of either thread is? We just want things to work.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Opopanax posted:

I do like the two people fighting hardest for this new, super inclusive thread, are the ones who fought hardest to keep "Lynch" in the vernacular.

Why are you intentionally misrepresenting my argument? My whole point is we want less inclusivity and make things more open. Giving people a better method of belonging to this community and talking about Mafia outside of the Crew thread and game threads actually makes everything more available especially to those who aren't interested in the Crew discussion.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magnus Gallant posted:

Ok that's fine. Would you want to post the thread or would uou want someone else to?

There's literally no way for Asiina to hinder any posting of that thread.

If this thread is already trying to serve the purpose of the "Theory" thread and people don't use the other thread because the Old Mafia Crew doesn't all switch to the new system then what's the point? New people, old timers, and people barely hanging on will just see an unorganized mess.

I can't believe I have to restate this for you. I've already brought it up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Asiina said it was absurd to split the thread when instead we could have a redundant thread that will be doomed to fail. :downs:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Opopanax posted:

I do like the two people fighting hardest for this new, super inclusive thread, are the ones who fought hardest to keep "Lynch" in the vernacular.

Yeah, it's part of Mafia. The game concept is about hanging people during the day.

It's fine if you don't want to use the word because you personally are offended by it but it's pretty goddamned rude to belittle others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CapitalistPig posted:

Yes this is for the poor misunderstood bottom half like Harold krell, and Mr Thingyman

How about other respectable community members like Chic Trombone, Juanito, Kleedrac, Ghastly Gangsta, Puntification, DBD, jon joe, Carpet Shark, Epsilon Plus, (sorry to those I didn't message). Sorry that you think they aren't worth providing better mediums of conversation for.

Kumbamontu posted:

whatever happens I will happily post in both threads

i just think re-purposing the new game announcement thread into "new games + theory" is the path of least resistance, a good compromise, and as chaos put it a good litmus test to see what kind of activity level you would actually see from a theory thread

best case: it's SUPER popular and okay, fine you were right met. then we'll make a separate thread for theory only and everyone wins
worst case: no one talks about theory and it's just used for new games as it is today

my hunch is that there is going to be a short surge of theory discussion followed by a sudden lull and we return to the status quo, but i would be happy to be proven wrong

I think this would be an absolutely fine situation if/when votefinder can better show us what games currently need sign-ups on the homepage.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Take like 15 deep breaths eat dinner and then come back objectively. We can easily organize ideas for a new thread if we remove the current emotionality.

gently caress off?