Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I fully agree with that, but (and this may be just me) once you play through once, the first big chunk after the first hour is a slog. But I feel that way about a lot of games.

And I agree. This game has tons of love in it and is incredibly polished. I really only have one complaint about this game, but that's a ways away. There's no world in the series that feels as vivid as this one.
I never found the opening to be a slog.
The first hour or so of gameplay afterwards though...

FF9 is my favorite of the PSX era Final Fantasy's because of all the love and detail put into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I actually prefer Tetra Master over Triple Triad, mainly because it's BS was the sort I could get behind compared to what FF8's card AI could do (Random, Plus, Combo :suicide:) when you don't know how to use the Card Queen.

This into sequence is pretty well done. There's tons to explore and see and get but if you don't care about any of that you can just go to get your phony ticket checked, ignore most of the card tutorial and bam, be ready to see the play rather quickly. Compared to more modern takes of the series it's wonderful.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Steiner's nice but he only becomes one of the best characters once his development reaches a certain point and it takes a long time for that to happen. Until then I didn't find his oafish clanky-ness endearing enough to offset the rest of what he does.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fedule posted:

Someone somewhere once told me the technical name for the pattern in which Zorn and Thorn speak and I am trying to remember it and I cant and it is driving me mad--

It's called Fronting. Zorn speaks with modern (at the time of production) english while Thorn uses fronting to speak olde-timey english. Yoda does the same thing, although Thorn is way more consistent in it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I remember Doctor Tot. Admittedly its mainly because His is the Nose That Will Sniff Out The Heavens.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The original designs of his 3D render did actually give him visible eyes, but then they put a belt on him.

Appreciating Steiner I think largely depends on how much you enjoyed Falstaff in Henry IV. There's a distinct influence there.
There is but there's a bit of difference too. One of the big ones is that while Steiner certainly gets up to Falstaff worth actions, he's not as jovial nor is he a bro to the progatonist here.
Flying Steiner is certainly one of his top moments though!

Mega64 posted:

Steiner's in a blind panic at this point.
Little details moment: those are sparks coming from his armor scraping on the stone. :allearsL

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

I love how Steiner is such a complete doofus he genuinely thinks his princess got killed by a prop sword.
He's not a complete doofus.

Mega64 posted:

Princess! I, Steiner, have come to your rescue!

He's competent at his job, he's just waaaaay out of his depth.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The entire Evil Forest sequence is awesome, though.
Yeah the Evil Forest is awesome.

It's past this where the game hits it's first low note for me until past the town. It's very low-key compared to the excitement and action of the intro and this forest.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FeyerbrandX posted:

It Begins

I'd asks for a Trance Wasted Counter, but I don't wish to cause you crippling depression and despair at that number.

Haven't played the game in like 3 years, but I remember that agony clearly.
I've actually had to wait out Trance trying to steal the Mythril Dagger from Sealion before.

I might have done so twice in one battle :shepicide: (fortunately as long as you're not doing damage the attacks remain wimpy and samey.)

The Mythril Dagger this early is worth any price though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't the whole religion being the root of all evil thing only really relevant from FFX-onwards? FF2, FF6 and FF7 made some allusions to it (like the Cult of Kefka) but they never had the stranglehold on the game's society like Yevon or the Occuria or the Fal'cie.

FFT dabbled in it though that was more 'Medieval' (political power) than 'evil' (world-shattering kabooms.)

But then there's countless other jrpgs where that is the case that it's sort of crept in to the genre. 'If this authority figure in a religious institution is being exceptionally helpful it's entirely likely they know you are/have the plot coupons and are using you as a pawn in their world domination/oblivion/ascension goals.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

bewilderment posted:

There's a plot event almost everyone forgets where there's a religion involved. I don't even remember a god being mentioned, though.

I remember that event (assuming it's the one with the kirkboat) and that's a bit different. The mention of the Sabbath here would mean that FFIX is one of the rare games that features multiple religions even if it's a one-off background mention.

It's also entirely possible that 'day of the Sabbath' is just fancy-game-words talk for 'Sunday.' Which makes FFIX a rare game where they used fancy language appropriately.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

All this time playing the game and I never knew you could peek into your room at Dali.

I never knew about the airship wheel line either. There's a WHOLE lot of detail in this game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rarity posted:

That's all cut scene
Generally in any FMV where there's character models you can control Zidane. You can make him go up and down the ladder even if you only see your efforts over like, 10 seconds. It's something FFIX does a lot of.

The butt touching's scripted though. The next section has more to do with it that sorta shows character with it, for instance, Zidane 'complimenting' what is an accident/contrived happenstance rather than apologizing for it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Midgard might be actually bigger but Lindblum feels bigger to me. The subtle work that goes into reinforcing it's size is incredible.

You have the Aircabs which allow you quick access to where you need to go which emphasize how large Lindblum is to need such a service,
there's tons of houses/buildings in most of the backgrounds that mirror many cityscape pictures,
and where you can walk/get to is decently big enough to help you fill in the details of everywhere you can't get to.

It helps that it's memorable as all heck. I can't remember half of Midgard thanks to that half being the nebulous slum section with filler travel-through rooms in it to bulk it up. Lindblum doesn't have those (though it does have 'filler' rooms that exist to be places unto themselves.)

The Grand Castle also has my favorite track playing in it. Lindblum is great.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dastardly posted:

I'm surprised that not more games has used ATE's when it's such a neat way to show what other characters are up to.
There is some finickyness to the system, mainly that you can only view one ATE per screen when they pop up. Some ATE's only pop up for a single screen and I remember one case where this led to a pair of ATE's that were mutually exclusive. It annoyed me to no end.

Aside from that though it is a pity that storytelling in gaming doesn't do this as often as it did back then.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sum Mors posted:

I don't mind all the super techno evil, as long as they're shown as competent. Playing a game like FFXIV really annoys me when the super evil, magitek using, empire is repeatedly brought low by dudes using bows/arrows/swords. They have bullets, giant mechs, space ships and GIANT SKYSCRAPER sized gently caress off super ships. But they still can't beat the medieval tech good guys.
Considering said empire rules most of the world they're plenty competent. It's just magic they have trouble with, especially when there's crazy powerful beings that use it against them. Especially when they can call natural disasters at whim.

I mean, armies are useless against Wizards that can just go 'alright for all you guys, down is now up. Enjoy your space flight!' Or against magical beings that can earthquake/tornado/tidal wave your forces away.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pretty much. It's a filler boss for something of a filler area. I don't even remember what that rare steal is since I tended to autopilot when fighting him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Pretty sure you can't. Freya wins by default, Zidane only wins if you take down the beast, and if both of them lose then Vivi comes in first.

I am not aware of any methods to sabotage Vivi's performance.
It came up earlier in the thread but if you have Zidane die/run down the clock in battle when one of the NPC's is in the lead then they win.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Music Junkie posted:

In a way, I applaud Dagger for wanting to save her mother. Admittedly, my first playthrough, I just thought she went about it in a stupid way, especially as there was no guarantee that Brahne would even listen to her. Now it's more like "Okay, she's come for help, and she'll get it, but they're insisting on treating her like she doesn't know what she's doing, (which is slightly true) and that's not what she wants, she's taking matters into her own hands." If nothing else, she's certainly proactive.
The first point is accurate though that's more of a result of audience(player) knowledge rather than character knowledge, after all they didn't hear her send Zhorn & Thorne & the Black Waltz' after Dagger. We know Brahne's not as up-and-up as Dagger & Steiner think she is, but we don't know how that revelation will turn out and that'll be a bit of tension in the back of our minds while watching what Dagger & Steiner do in their efforts to help the Queen.

As for the latter, I always read it more that they're treating her as a Princess who has a big list of do's and don'ts to follow that directly conflict with what she experienced on her journey there with Zidane & Co. She had a whole bunch of new experiences and developed a bit more self-reliance than a royal upbringing would normally give her. Being put back in her Princess box doesn't sit well with her at all especially since Cid has to move carefully and slowly since he has to balance his duty as Regent with wanting to help Dagger.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Ragtime Mouse is mean because while there are hints for all of his questions in the game (and some actually have multiple hints) most of those hints only come either way, way after you can encounter him to get the info, or have a very strict window where you can see them.
For example, the four questions this update:

15th Lindblum war is mentioned on the Three knights of Pluto statue.
There's multiple references to Lord Avon in the game, the earliest being Vivi's ticket (there's also some dude in Alexandria's Library who mentions as such.)
The Theater Ship one is mean. First room of the game before you light the Candle, there's an interactive info board in the room that tells about the Prima Vista. The only other place I think you can get the hint is from the Minature Prima Vista Morris has. After finishing his Coffee Quest.
The Chocobo Forest is practically the gimme of this update. I mean it's right there.

Speaking of the Chocobo Forest, I too have wasted hundreds of thousands of gil on not getting any item for a solid minute because it's entirely possible for you to get a 90 depth item (which means you have to pixel hunt with Choco's beak in order to start digging it up) and not being able to dig it up since you can only dig once a second :suicide:

Still did it enough to get ultimate weapons though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rarity posted:

If you just jiggle the analogue stick while mashing square once you find a Kwehhhh? then you'll get it in five hundred seconds max :ssh:

Fixed that for ya. Tried it, didn't work. The Chocobo takes hugemongus steps.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nidoking posted:

Did we already get Might earlier? I'm pretty sure you can get it from the Lamias here.

Might isn't blue magic.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I was going to say something mean to Endorph, like 'Endorph is silly because the same criteria he is using to critique the other poster can be applied to himself.'
But then I looked down the rabbit hole and saw myself dressed as a rabbit who was dressed as Steiner. He offered me choice coffee and commented about the vintage of his model airship. I drank it and grew three sizes that day.

Gizmaluke's Grotto has the potential to be annoying but it's incredibly short even when you run around and get everything that it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Gizmaluke on the other hand...
Kupo Nut Moogle is great. His love for Kupo Nuts surpasses all earthly limits.
And relying on a 10% chance for a level 1 run is just the sort of crazy fox-ness I expected when OFS first started that run.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

See, that one almost makes sense because Akitoshi Kawazu was in charge of the second half of 12's development.

The man is mentally troubled and has an unhealthy obsession with making a game that is impossible to create a strategy guide for. In fact, three years before FF12, he actually accomplished that very task.
On the other hand, he just likes making games that surprise him.

He keeps being successful at that despite the inherent difficulties of doing so in an environment where your best randomness is pseudo-random. :psyduck:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Plus Steiner does actually like them, even if they are stinky.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bufuman posted:

I kind of want that first one, but I'm not sure what would be a good line to go as the title.

EDIT:

poo poo, that's PERFECT, considering FF6 is my favorite in the series. Though I'll probably go with just the first line (since that GIF doesn't look to be stopping any time soon) and hope people get the reference.

Chiming in to say I did get the reference since I saw it in another thread before finding them all here. Good choice!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Galick posted:

Nonono. Zidane very specifically checks out every woman he passes by. :v:

Zidane does that but your party leaders do look at NPC (especially ones that are interactable.) It adds a neat little bit of immersion.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

"Paladin"/Knight styled characters kind of zig-zag as far as their offensive power (Cecil was only second because your other melee options were the shitwrecker dragoon and the wussy ninja that wasn't very good at much of anything, but on the flipside FF5 Knights are one of the biggest beatsticks in the game, and then, well, General Leo.) but they're always top of the class defensively, meaning Beatrix already suggests that she's too tough to bring down easily, and then proceeds to open up a can of whoop-rear end all over your face and neck area.

Bolding for emphasis. That's pretty much entirely what they were going for with Beatrix, from the buildup to her abilities in combat. She might be akin to the Knight class like Steiner but she is a General.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Poulpe posted:

Back when I first played this game something that seriously bothered me about Beatrix is that she's this enormously powerful force that is single handedly allowing/supporting Brahne's nonsense, and -spoiler-
She is a General and Brahne is the Queen, it's not her place to say that it's nonsense!

Thematically, Beatrix and Steiner have the same basic problem but arrive to their conclusions about it in their own way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

Can honestly say that never happened when I played the game; I mostly just found Kuja annoying as hell. :v:
The same.

The things around him I have feared and respected, but Kuja only got that once.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The biggest issue I have with Kuja as the main villain is that he's written a bit too well in terms of the overall plot (and spoilers down the line.)
He's overshadowed a lot. Take his intro for example: It's much like Golbez's in that you have a big showdown with a notable other person and get your butt kicked and great leitmotifs, however Golbez stole the show as soon as he appeared where Kuja just kinda... Sat there, watched and let Beatrix do everything. As the 'man behind the (wo)man' he works and he is very theatrical and well accompanied by music but I don't get that villainous dread from him until he does a thing.

Come to think of it, there's a lot of parallels in Kuja and Golbez which is probably why I don't find Kuja to be that good. He falls flat in most comparisons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Except one just laughs at that and one-ups him in return and the other doesn't care so it doesn't have any effect.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Doctor Tot intensifies

Glad to see this back!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Please, Steiner's probably an even easier target than Dagger. I'm surprised he wasn't stripped naked as soon as he stepped into the slums.

That would mean someone would want his rusty armor more than him. Plus I'm pretty sure Dagger is smart enough to carry the money between the two of them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yes, because you shouldn't have forgotten a nose of that magnitude in the first place.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Doctor Tot's little side kick as he pulls down the winch is great too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Because it's just SO GOOD he has to eat it RIGHT THERE, I mean, the ambience of the waiting room is part of the experience of eating South Gate Bundt Cake it just wouldn't be the same without it NO DON'T SUPER TORNADO TANTALUS PUNCH ME TOO~

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cleyra's interesting from an ecological/visuals point, with being a giant tree filled with sand and all the interesting byproducts that happen because of that.

Also the next sequence of events is one of my favorite from this game, even if it's kinda weird and the subtleties are a bit muddled.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also the whole Isolationist deal makes it really hard to have a famous delicacy. I mean, they probably have some tasty fruits/fungi/antlion cuisine that no one knows about because they have to go through a sandstorm and climb a golem infested tree while dealing with all of those sand puzzles to get to it.

I mean, there's also a moogle living in there but moogles are crazy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Odin gonna get his Zantetsukan on :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Just like Burmecia. And look what happened to Burmecia.

Why else would Lindblum have all those airships if they weren't going to USE them!?

My pet theory on the sandstorm going AWOL is that the dance was way too successful and in fact burned it out. Too much dance power. And Kuja knew this. (I really like the Cleyran dance, it's a lot of character and is a microcosm of the stage subtlety going on throughout the game.)

• Locked thread