Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let me have a clean slate with the Pens please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hopefully I can use my first two picks to grab Henrik Lundqvist and Derek Stepan this year.
They were indispensable cornerstones last time around.

But for real, gently caress building for the future this time around. We want the cup and we want it now!

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 23, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shouldn't the spread sheet be snaking?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I mean it's Crosby. We all know it's Crosby.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

I agree although I wish we had enough people for 30 teams

I fully expect the robot teams to end up much better than anything we manage to put together.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Penguins are proud to select, ah gently caress...
Let's have Alex Pietrangelo because he's good and young-ish and probably has 10 more years of the same left in him.
Everyone has a hard-on for him and he's kind of underrated all the same. Plus other NHLers love him too so that's something.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 26, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At work - but I'll take hockey rainman Taylor Hall.
Effort post when I get home...
If I get home. (gently caress the Orange line!)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

I was going to take Tay Tay on account of his ridiculous scoring rates but was dissuaded by the fact that he's an utter moron. This shouldn't have been a consideration but someone will probably brain him again soon enough.

It's funny that he went a round earlier two years ago though.

So Taytay...
There were a handful of young centers left I liked, and tons and tons of defensemen, but when it comes to players who are capable of putting up a PPG and are under 25, well... there's not many of those to pick from.
Hall is definitely not a sturdy player, or a particularly bright person, but when you see him on the ice it's hard to think that matters. Surprisingly adept in the corners for a skill guy (who regular gets his head knocked), he's a rare talent on the ice who - if he can put it together and stay healthy - has a long, bright future ahead of him.
(Unfortunately in real life he's on the Oilers)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that when you factor in youth and contract and probably ability, I'd rather have Hedman-McDonagh than Keith-Weber.

I was gonna say, that's probably the scariest pairing you're likely to ever see. To think there's a world where we could've seen McDonagh - Subban.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And I have my short list primed so let's get this wrapped before lunch, fellas.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Alright, so there are a handful of good young guys I wanted to take. I made the mistake last year of not taking a solid center early, so I was left with Jordan Staal as my No. 1, and luckily, this guy is still probably one of the absolute best all-around players still undrafted.

The New Jersey Devils are proud to select Derek Stepan to anchor their first line. While not an elite offensive talent, he's certainly proven to be a consistent 60-point player and he's good in all areas of the game. He's only 25 and signed to a reasonable contract.

He joins the deadly defensive duo of Hedman-McDonagh to make the Devils a continually difficult team to play against.

drat YOOoooooou

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well, back-up plan.
Takin' Hampus Lindholm and his pro hockey name. Write-up after work.
Mostly it's because he's 21 and his fancy stats are god-level.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Highest scoring Center/Winger/D-man on the board for them.
Quick and maybe fair.

Or draft by a weird useless stat like takeaways or something.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think overall scoring leaders is more fair. Hudler/Sedin/Burns is not a bad trio at all.

Yeah, this seems like something a person can at least build around if the person comes back or someone else joins midway.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Should we auto El Galinero again or something? Just treat him as a bot for the time being?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm alarmed at what this makes my team look like, but...
Tay Tay needs his best bro Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

Let me tell you a little bit about this kid named Tyler Toffoli, 23, C(ish), $6.5m through 2017

Nice try, Habibi.
Giving out contracts like Holmgren over there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

No defenseman/goaltender is really jumping out at me right now, so I guess I'll take a guy I can make my second line center with ease, Bryan Little. He can put up 50-ish points and the fancy stats seem to like him a bit. He can handle playing 19-20 minutes, his cap hit is less than $5 million for the next 3 seasons, and he's on the good side of 30.

e: Voracek-H. Sedin-Kane
?-Little-?

Vatanen-?

You damned bastard he was so close!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Woops not yet.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now I count two hours, so let's have

Sean Couturier
I know how good of shutdown center this guy is - precisely because every time the Pens play the Flyers this dude is all over Geno's jock the whole game and he does a drat good job of it. I hate him and respect him at the same time. He's only 22 and he just got a hell of a nice contract. I wanted Jordan Staal with this pick to be honest, but I might've lucked out with Sean falling down.
With Nugent-Hopkins not being the most defensively responsible player in the world, I feel like Couturier being able to step in and eat some of those tougher match-ups will be pretty important. Plus he's got room to grow.

Hall - Nugent-Hopkings -
- Couturier -

Lindholm - Pietrangelo

Tofes you're up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Damned good pick. He was next.

Infidel Castro posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU FILTHY PENS CAN'T HAVE COOTER GOD DAMNIT

Also this, I know. This is literally the only time you'll find me saying good thing about him because he is Penguins poison.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 2, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That makes the most sense because I wanted to pick him and consensus picks should be ones that piss you off.
Either that or a goalie.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

It feels like Seth Jones went later than he should have gone. Is there something about him that I am missing, because he looks REAL GOOD in the handful games that I have seen him.

I'm guessing it's the rush on forwards. There are tons of good young d-men left and the forwards are dwindling like crazy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

the flames are up now so another consensus pick for us. if i were them i would be taking a goalie, Devan Dubynk has the best GAA of any available goalie so he is my suggestion

Ben Bishop has the most wins. A team that picks by points should also pick by wins.
It's Burke-style.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll take Craig Smith

25 year-old center/winger who just signed a sweetheart deal. Scored 20+ the last two seasons on a team not known for their offensive firepower and I'm assuming he's good for 40-50 for the duration of his contract. Can slot him in as a 2C or RW as needed, which is pretty nice versatility.
His fancy stats slot him in as a fringe 1st-liner which is just fine by me. I'm guessing he's underrated because he plays for the Predators.

We'll call him 2C for now just because I like center depth.
Hall - Nugent-Hopkins -
- Smith -
- Couturier -

Lindholm - Pietrangelo

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 2, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

I desperately need a defenseman at this point, and there's nobody I like more than Morgan Rielly. I think he's got the talent to mature into a great offensive defenseman and even this last season, he was - in my admittedly very quick evaluation - one of the best defensemen on the Maple Leafs. I know, it's not a high standard to clear, but he was able to play 20 minutes, put up respectable point totals, and be pretty good - compared to his teammates at least - possession wise, all at the age of 20/21.

I honestly thought Brodeur's Nanny was talking about Rielly before he picked Tanev, and that would have made me really sad.

Here's the Flyers now:

Voracek - H. Sedin - P. Kane
? - Little - ?

Vatanen-Rielly

Good lord that is some win-later D for a very win-now forward group.
I hope you manage to snag some old good dudes that can kludge a first-pairing together.

That said Voracek - Sedin - Kane is a line that will cycle the puck for a minute and a half so maybe it's not all that bad.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Minnesota Wild take Minnesota's own Ryan Kesler. Kesler provides good 2C depth, gives us a lockdown 2C with a bit of offensive upside.

Your Minnesota Wild
Benn - Krejci - Okposo
Parise - Kesler -

Suter -

Parise - Kesler - Suter is a trio of contracts that will cripple the poo poo of this team sooner rather than later.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Niskanen's a good pick. I didn't think he would drop all the way back to me but there was no chance I wouldn't take him if he did.
His contract may be long but he's almost worth it. He could be a weak #1 for plenty of teams.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Another Islander off the board: Josh Bailey.

He's rounded into a solid second line center since being rushed to the NHL. He plays a ton of ES minutes against decent competition and does well for himself both possession and scoring-wise. He and Silf will anchor that second line for years to come.

This dude is definitely a left winger. A pretty good one though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Phone posting. Tomas Hertl

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Write up time.
Tomas Hertl

Young with a high scoring upside. Scored four goals in a game once (and was not later arrested for public indecency). Is adorable. Plays wing or center. Hits more than I thought he does so that's good. Had a down season last year so maybe folks are undervaluing him a bit, either that or he was gonna keep dropping but I think this will end up looking pretty good in the long term.

Next pick is one I hope some folks will end up hating me for (because those are the best kind). There are a handful of young D that I think are much better players even now, but since a lot of my team is RFA in a year or two, I need a solid young guy with some upside, and more importantly, a nice shiny new contract.

Adam Larsson
When I read his name or hear about him, I always think of this gif. Young and poised, and very raw. The verdict was out until this season but it seems like he's turned a lot of people into believers (Ray Shero being one of them).
22 is young for a defenseman. He's top-4 material right now and he's likely going to continue to improve.

We'll shake it out like this for now but with Smith and Hertl both being natural centers I foresee some shifting.

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Smith
Hertl - Couturier

Lindholm - Pietrangelo
- Larsson

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

:sigh:

It was a good run.

LW - Justin Abdelkader

Ah poo poo man, I'm slow. Sorry for killing team Sweden. I'll treat him well.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I say Teuvo with the clause that if Tanguay outscores him next season you get a Tanguay av or something.
Or write Tanguay a nice letter telling him how wrong you were.
nah but I don't really care this is all a game give the man his tiny center

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

Los Angeles Kings select C Jori Lehtera

He shores up some talent for the second line as a decent player on a 2.75 cap hit for this year that turns into a 3 year 4.7 deal next season, perfect as a stopgap until someone younger and better can step up for the role

Excellent pick. This guy went way too late.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

After all my Larsson shittalk I'm going to take another maybe bust maybe his team's best d-man this year Ryan Murray.

You son of a bitch he was so close

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So who's on the clock? I've got lovely young forwards that likely won't make it in the nhl to pick here!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

stab picks Jake Allen.

Menamino
is on the clock

You absolute fucker! Gah, he's gonna be so damned good.
He already is so good!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now I know what this "having the dude's you want get picked" feels like and it's not good.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is Paulocaust back kicking around again yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Oilers Penguins are back baby

• Locked thread