Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Werner-Boogle posted:

You listed both Wang Zhang and Wang Zhaohui as Rabbit, but the latter is SanSheng. GET YOUR poo poo TOGETHER

china go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

HEY KOROK, I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY LEGION COMMANDER, LIKE HOW YOU COMMANDED YOUR GIRLFRIEND AND SHE DIDN'T LISTEN AND THEN YOU BEAT HER. OR THE OVER WHELMING ODDS OF HER AGAINST YOU IN A FIST FIGHT, OR THE MOMENT OF COURAGE SHE TOOK TO STANDUP TO YOU BECAUSE YOU CONTINOUSLY PRESSED THE ATTACK.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Radical posted:

i was reading a reddit thread about c9 and i just dont understand how no one can look at those games and say "yes fata played perfectly fine"

like you look at those gifs of him walking around in circles and not even attacking anyone, and you look at CTY or sumail or basically any other mid at TI and tell me fata isn't loving garbage. pretty sure dendi hiding in the loving trees did more for his team because at least he doesn't die from it.

ya but then you looks at things like where he bkb tps and then suddenly stops to go fight with bone7 and you've gotta wonder if anyones even close to on the same page like on a team with ppd+fear.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

chill dude thats ur ex-schoolmate...

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

halwain posted:

This is amazing.

(Please find a new team fly).

ya cause hes just a worse zfreek lmao

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

did you want him to say aggressif again u loving retards

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

youre all more insufferable than swindle lmao

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Studio posted:

NoTail has got to be on the scope for every English(or Danish)-speaking Pro Team right now.

uhhhhhh no lol not after that tournament performance

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

I think people are too busy creating straw man arguments against elo hell to understand the underlying basis for player's complaints and give them any merit.

There is an obvious issue in the ladder of games that are outside of player's control. That is, games where even a higher skilled player has little to no effect on the outcome of the game. Sure, there have been 5.5k players who have played 2.5k accounts up a thousand MMR, but they never follow through with the entire experiment because of sheer frustration of the grinding. The people who do grind accounts for money are doing so successfully only on a handful of heroes where they are able to display their obvious skill differential only because the solo-potential skill ceiling on the hero is the highest (Earth, Invoker, Storm, etc.) They don't grind these accounts picking at random for the home stretch, the last 500 to 1000 MMR. That is all we are talking about here with 'elo hell', the last 500 or so MMR differential between what a player could be playing 50% at, but is actually not at yet nor getting close any time soon assuming a normal player's play schedule.

I think people's anecdotal experience with MMR really has more to do with describing that the underlying system of MMR is flawed in the first place; it is far too uncertain. It is not really indicative of proper skill levels. There is far too much mobility of players across the various 'skill brackets'. I've had accounts move as much as 600 points in a day, in both directions in a week's time. People would consider that a considerably different skill tier, yet, it is achievable in two weekend marathon sessions. Is it indicative of skill being at either extreme? Obviously no.

When I judge a player's skill level using my experience with the game I can usually boil down my opinion about their relative skill down to a simple question: How many heroes can that player play well at their supposed skill level? If the answer is: Slark, Prophet, BH, Doom - it is very likely that the player is what I would consider overrated for his skill bracket. If the answer is a much larger number, then the player I would most likely consider underrated by the system. I've watched many friends go from 5.5k down to 4k and back since the ranking's release, but with all of them I can say with certainty that some deserved the 5.5k and others deserve the 4.5k, but that is not what their MMR is going to dictate on a given week. It muddles them together. It is completely uncertain, +/- 1000 MMR. I really think it should be doing a much better job than than, inbetween 1-200, and see no reason why it couldn't be.

It's funny though, because Valve's system used to appear to judge skill levels in this manner. Your rank would move about based on your performance in a game on a hero based against other players average performance with a given hero at your relative rank. They used to display these bars in your hero profile, before changing it to a system based only upon your own heroes. It's very likely this is still how smurf detection is done today. Many tests have shown in the older systems that win/loss had basically nothing to do with your early MMR.

The other factor that was guessed often was the hero damage/building damage numbers. Many people would see how they would move up/down the page numbers on the view tab based mostly on how much hero damage they were doing relative to their teammates in their recent string of games. The remnants of this system lives on with the questionnaires you get at the end of games. If you pay close attention, these only come after games where your number is far off from the rest of your teammate's, or one team's is far from the others.

These are also two arguably decent measures for determining relative skill in a game. They of course should not be used for a long term system under too much scrutiny, but are generally good indicators of a widely unmatched game.

However, it is pretty apparent that these things no longer matter anymore by the time a player gets to unlock ranked games. Valve did not trust this system to do much of a good job afterwards. It's why they didn't make the number visible early on. Arguably, I don't think they've ever given it a fair chance. They've always had 'all pick' as the sole comparison system.

There is a very clear reason why these players will go bracket hopping back and forth at the higher skill levels. The ones who only play a few heroes effectively at the skill level their MMR gets up to are the players who usually stick to just those picks. They are more often than not playing what I call 'gamble strategies'. Heroes that will dominate a game if given a favorable match-up, but are a relative nonfactor in the game otherwise. However, given the inherent abilities of the hero, they are more likely than not to get into a favorable match-up. Heroes like Bristleback, Timber, Slark, BH, Prophet, Viper, Doom, Invoker, Storm. If you give these guys space they can go on and win a game alone, but if they are countered they are not rendered completely useless. The problem is, they all take a concentrated effort to counter, which goes against pub luck. One person's inherent pick versus three people's picks and synergy not being useless to counter.

In pub games, when you have 3-4 players in a game picking these 'gamble strategies', games work against the players who are playing other heroes and using their '500 mmr difference' in skill level to try to edge out the victory in the game. It becomes a crapshoot. When you get to certain skill levels, at whatever MMR it is for your server, you can't just 'solo gank' to victory anymore. There is counterganking and 5 man roaming that prevents any sort of one person strategies to guarantee a win anymore. You don't win by picking SF mid when the other team is camping both runes on you and smoke ganking you constantly, without losing their sidelanes because the rest of your team had weak lane match-ups. You're helpless to solo out of those games. It comes down to teamwork and team synergy, and countering the 'gamble strategy' heroes that aren't easily countered effectively. There is a hero or two every patch that might go against this general trend, like the recent Alchemist, but it is otherwise true. This is why its really only a problem towards the top and bottom of the brackets, where teamwork becomes to trump individual skill of the players in terms of the outcome of the game. That's just DotA and the game shouldn't have to change into LoL to fix it.

However, the people who employ these 'gamble strategies' get much farther up the bracket than they really should be getting. They do not get forced to play other roles because they are freely able to pick these strategies game after game. This, I argue, is what undermines the ability for MMR to separate the players effectively into their proper skill brackets. They are not being forced to play different roles or different heroes in any of their games if they so choose.

The difference between good and great players really is how much experience they have with the game and how much of that experience they've put towards actively learning more. You aren't going to understand the intricacies of playing with teammates on certain heroes unless you have a good understanding of how to play the hero yourself. You need to play the different heroes and roles in the game to be able to understand these little things that does make the real 500 MMR difference amongst players. And yes, if that means you lose games learning to play those heroes or roles, that means you really do deserve to be at a lower MMR relative to the other players who wouldn't drop by changing things up. It is what makes one Bristleback better than the next one, but the more clear way to determine this is to have that player be guilted into playing those other heroes they may not find to be optimally fun every so often, rather than having them duke out more and more Bristleback games much to the woe of anyone else wanting to play against a different sidelane match-up.

But with All Pick being the one true mode, this will forever be a problem. No matter what they do, there will always be the battle between the players who understand a gamble strategy well enough to win with it at a higher MMR but not really do anything else at that skill level if the picks in the game dictate they should be trying something else. They will have an unfair percentage of being able to try the strategy again because they have a 50% or so shot at it, whereas there are 9 other players in the game who are equally at stake for rank movement.

The change to how the timer countdown only made these things worse. The only way to effectively win games and bracket grind, if you were truly only 500 MMR better than the other players, without playing a small handful of heroes like Invoker, Storm, Earth Spirit, etc. where their skill ceiling is so high you can blow people out of the water with them alone if possible, is to be able to counterpick properly. However, counter picking was punished with the changes. Many players sit on their small handful of gamble strategies and pick them instantly at the last second, giving the other team, who might have marginally better players, little to negative chances to react to the gamble they chose. The intention is good, and I understand they don't want to punish AFKers completely, but in practice, it was possibly the worst solution they could have come up with. Arguably worse than it was before.

If players are forced to pick in order, there becomes a necessity for teamwork to be employed and players are not able to employ their gamble strategies at the same frequency as before. There is no reason to completely take away strategies from a player, since they deserve the MMR boost when they can achieve it, but the frequency of it should not be condoned. Even better, forcing players to pick within a limited pool every so often, but that's a step I would merely enjoy more than I think is really necessary for a noticeable improvement in rank uncertainty.

However, the only alternative to all pick right now is captains pick. This, in many player's minds, undermines their ability to play to the few strengths they do have outside their comfort zone. They can't pick the support hero they are most comfortable with given that they've already given into the fact they should pick a support next in order to give their team the best chance to succeed, but they are forced to play somebody else's choice for you. Of course nobody players these modes. They go completely against the feelings of the players before.

There really is no good excuse why the middling mode, All Draft (not in DotA2), or Random Draft, which will force players to diversify their play, and thus display their true separation in skill better, is not an option. They've already split the brackets into a casual mode an a competitive mode, defining that there is a difference between the two. I can rationalize that if they only care about making a majority happy, and a majority likes to only play Rikimaru running around with huge stomps, followed by games of uselessness inbetween, is how they derive excitement from the game as being the right way to be having fun with the game, then that's great. However, once they split the brackets, they put that mindset into the wrong spot. It's not meaningful the way it is setup now. Like another 5k player said in the thread, the only way to have fun in the bracket while keeping your sanity is to not play the modes allowed in Ranked play anymore. They are the absolute worst modes to solo queue on. You're always in a constant battle between players who have 1 stratted their way to 5k and random death stacks that will stomp your uncoordinated overrated players silly because they've never seen the next level of game before, nor they ever will because they won't branch out to try it.

DotA solo queue was much more fun when the large majority of games was 7/10 players randoming and going with whatever they got because they didn't have a number and didn't care if they win or lost because their relative performance on whatever hero they played kept their rank high. You don't see that anymore. The queue has been given all the tools to let people strive towards the lowest common denominator playstyles and it has sucked the fun out of too much of it. Better hope you like the current metagame, its either that, or games full of headaches, since so few players are in it for the fun now in those modes. The most frustrating part about it is knowing it doesn't have to be this way and its just a series of little decisions causing it all to go awry.

tl;dr
Three nukes and Riki's ulti is still the most fun moveset in -RAD that I've seen. Is there a better way to clown out a disorganized passive picking team?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

You know 90% of the 'pro players' barely make enough to pay their parents for rent (NOTHING) and have sacrificed years of their lives putting them far far behind in their potential careers and usefulness in society over video game dreams and the only thing you guys can think about is piss testing everyone.

goons got their priorities straight

I hope EE finishes school. Honestly.

Did you finish school, because what the gently caress are you typing LMAO

That being said piss testing's stupid. Adderall abuse isn't happening you loving retards have you ever actually taken it?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGedmE0SBc

Interview with the team director of Secret. I'm only 5 minutes in but this dude seems alright.

He bought 1.5 million twitter followers lol

e: Hey...sorry guys, cleaning up my posting act with this edit

gangnam reference fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 11, 2015

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Man, I wonder how these players who do literally nothing but play video games would be able to get a prescription for adderall

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

FlyinPingu posted:

I just got a prescription for Adderall does this mean I'm going to be good at dota

jokes on you it just makes you do nothign but hit creeps and get the number up

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Skuto posted:

The 95% confidence margin around a players MMR is, on average, about 750 MMR rating points. The minimum (for the most active players) is about 370 MMR points. So you are right there is a huge error.

As for "I see no reason why it couldn't be doing a much better job": you only get so much games every day, from which you have to derive the individual skills for 10 people from 1 game result. On top of that, player's individual skill varies with a standard deviation of about 70 MMR per day. There just isn't enough information. You can get marginal improvements but the fundamental problem stays the same.

The alternative is to try to pick extra information out of the game but it's a can of worms due to no longer aligning the rating with the actual goal of the game, so it becomes game-able in itself.

Now, if you forget about the penis length aspect of MMR and focus on matchmaking quality, the system is *good enough* to find closely matched games. The errors partially even out because there's 5 players on each team (yay central limit theorem) and from the above numbers (750 MMR average error) the average game is, in the end, going to have a better than 33% vs 66% winning probability imbalance.

And why are we having rating discussions again in the Pro Dota2 thread.

ur replyiong to a copy paste of some guy who picked bloodseeker >400 times in one patch lmao

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It's more that PPD is not going to give up a good Sumail hero or a good Fear hero for Techies, especialy if he only had the first pick. Techies wouldn't be worth the Gyrocopter and Tusk getting through on the other side.

yes it would be, the other team had literally no experience playing against it lol.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

This is because the client is still based off of Adobe air and is a steaming pile of poo poo. They're getting rid of it because officially they don't want to segment the na player base but in reality it's because they're balls deep in spaghetti code that ties each account to a server and you can't freely transfer between them without forking over $25 so they've just sorta gone "why bother"and given up on it

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you almost had a reasonable point

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

texasmed posted:

zai writes super loving well, take an english class

edit 2: Literally Zai writes so well that I think his talent is wasted playing DOTA and he should do something meaningful at school, but I can't talk because I like video games too

uh, no

and tahts coming from zai's #1 fan...

(but tahts okay because its a 2nd language lol...)

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

And your excuse is?

this forum aint ivy league...............

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Minorkos posted:

i'm 5k eu and i just found out you can cycle treads

same

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

uhhh no

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Plus it gets Draskyl away from "literally only cast twice a year" GDStudio. I was legit worried if he would end up not going to the next TI because you either cast a major in the meantime or you simply aren't a bigname caster anymore, and I'm not sure Dreamhack will be a major.

not casting was a him issue not a studio issue lmao

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

Complexity replaces Fly and Moonmeander with waytosexy and EHug offlaner MJW
http://www.complexitygaming.com/articles/news/press/4529/complexity-adds-wayto-and-mjw

This is pretty much a step up in talent so I can actually see them making some noise and getting into premier tournaments

im this retards brain

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Capitalist got stuck with that loving awful Ryu guy yesterday, and now mush-mouthed EE today. Poor guy.

I hope Matt Damon raw dogs your mother, sister, girlfriend and dog. Seriously though, he had way better insight than capitalist, gently caress off and let the dude have some fun. If he bothers you that much turn off the sound. Holy gently caress, take professionalism and jam it in your rear end. If commentators all acted professionally it would be no fun to watch games. I like this dude way better than the casters with 4k mmr that have never played professionally. Keep doing you ryu, gently caress these turds that want a serious commentary. You give good insight while keeping the streams lighthearted. Goodshit man.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

has anyone said "5junkz" yet

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

whys every retard who weighs in on this noobfromua poo poo just regurgitate wrong poo poo abotu fair use gently caress

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

TheRat posted:

Why does anyone give a poo poo about what arteezy/zai thinks? They make money streaming unlicensed music every day, why should anyone respect their copyright claims?

lmao

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Why does Arteezy even still live at home he makes like $600 an hour staring at a timer go up while a computer lady voice insults him

Hes a child lol

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

star studded reddit meme team lineup

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

thats how versatility is maxed on my graph right

6.84c ranked:
789 matches - 49.81% winrate: 393 wins 396 losses
341 Bloodseeker matches - 57.48% winrate: 196 wins 145 losses
448 matches without bloodseeker - 43.97% winrate: 197 wins 251 losses

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

gogey youre actually brain damaged

341 games as bloodseeker

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

HATEPOSTING posted:

wait a second... are hon rycho and mason the same person? anyone a big enough NA nerd to confirm this?

no

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

RiskyChris posted:

BSJ owns and if you disagree reminder that you are literally holding the same opinion as the sewage waste that is the NA dota "scene."

haha yeah man

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

moonduck :^)

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shitstain spotted

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Al Borland posted:

Yeah good job not loving AM over enough icefrog.

retard

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

everyone says antimage is weak lategame but theyre kinda retarded I M O

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

im rooting for team monkey cheese

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Cabbit posted:

If you're not watching ... Draskyl and Lumi ... then reassess your life.

this is so loving wrong dear lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Lumi is great, but he's even better with Draskyl because every cast degenerates into them bullshitting and all professionalism vanishes. It's as close to peak GDStudio as you can get without James and a bottle of alcohol.

ya some really great commentary coming from guy who cant pronounce the second half of any of his sentences and the guy who whines about games where he queues with 3ks mid-cast

• Locked thread