Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Rogean probably makes poo poo all considering his company gets what like 20k in donations a year to run a a bunch of server infrastructure with enterprise level DDoS protection. poo poo ain't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
C++ with some PERL scripting iirc

It's the DDoS protection that is the real money suck. Way back in the day p99 would get DDoS'd like every day so Rogean had to buy protection on top of running everything.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

faulteroy posted:

P99's DX9 DLL is relatively benign. Basically just looks at the running processes and searches for browsers showing Redguides, ShowEQ, MacroQuest, etc. Facebook/Google are a lot more insidious depending on your opinions.

Rogean and the developers are also fairly benign - all of them have high-paying IT jobs (software dev, network ops, etc.) so there isn't much motivation to gently caress the server. Sirken and the current GM staff are more in it for social currency but don't seem to sell plat. Among the veteran female players, Sirken is known to be quite the creep and he uses his Twitch streams to lure women in. There were multiple women I've spoken to in Rampage/AW/Tempest that were hit on/"harassed" by Sirken.

It does not do that. Full stop.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

gepgepgep posted:

I'm close to absolutely certain it looks at browser tab and window names. I've heard that in far too many places over the years I played on p99.

Unless rogean is a liar it only looks at things that interact with the EQ client.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

moolchaba posted:

I'm gonna login and buy some tboots.

*waits for all the quality posts to ensue*

spai

also goon rezbot is done. bitch on discord if you are level 2 and fall off kaladim splat.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 22, 2018

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Bind sight gets even more fun when you bring in those locate corpse clickies off merchants. Make a corpse somewhere useful to see and then use the click to target corpse which works across the entire zone. Target yourself and cast bind sight and then use your previous target toggle hotkey. Bind sight will land on the corpse. I use this for solo Quillmane when on some toons like ench, wiz, or shaman since no tracking.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

DeathSandwich posted:

Going back to this : your priority on a budget should be 2x trance sticks, haste if you can afford it, and then stacking as much +hp jewelry as you can afford. If you find some budget leather that doesn't break the bank or weight budget go for it. Otherwise fill slots with Wu's fighting gear until you find better.

If you get the chance, go to Dalnir in your level 20s+ because there is an excellent set of no trade monk armor there.

Do not go to Dalnir in your 20's. You will get wrecked.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Ogre loving sucks yo

Spells still get interrupted with the caveat you can cast without waiting 1.5 to 2 seconds.
That's one round if you are getting one rounded then invest in some stalking probes or reroll warrior ogre. You might save someone a tiny sliver of buffer xp by clicking the mallet on a uber that much quicker.

Also geometry will conspire to interrupt your spells which basically negates FSI entirely.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 26, 2018

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Hit 60 on the Shaman tonight. Thanks to Daaz for making that last 20% a breeze.

So I've got a 60 shaman with like 2 million invested into his gear spells already. What the hell do I do now?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Kedge was like a fishy graveyard throughout the server's history even when it had a ridiculous experience mod. Only thing it was used for was druid fuckboys would go in there and power level twinks with charm trivializing your 30-50 journey. I'm pretty sure p1999 uses the EQmac ZEM list but then there's weird edge cases like Qeynos Catacombs being lower. Droga/Nurga is just a huge poo poo covered toilet bowl with green goblin turds running around. I may be bias due to factioning for dok 2.0 though....

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I don't have a pair but if you gather the mats together I can tailor it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

p2002 is run by a bunch of posers who cannot code. They can poo poo out really badly done content but the underlying mechanics are laughably crude and will remain so until TAKP goes open source again when they are done developing. Also there is only one top guild due to GM cronyism on p2002. TAKP uses a GM nforced rotation system for raids. Both have boxing but p2002 uses the stock titanium client instead of TAKP's PoP era client. In practice this means nothing since 98% of TAKP use a mouse scroll work around.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

fruity no gay posted:

sorry, really? 98% of the server is using a bannable hack?

I doubt many use the .dll that I'm sure you are referring to. Not that they have any logging which can detect it. However there has been an AHK script floating around for awhile that does the same thing though which when shown to a few devs they basically threw their hands up in the air and refused to pursue punitive action. Which makes sense considering every loving dev uses a method to enable mouse scrolling anyways, you can thank Haynar for that!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 19, 2019

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

A few people have sent me PM's asking for help enabling mouse scroll. I zipped up the folder I found them in and uploaded it to https://www53.zippyshare.com/v/uK7GmfsY/file.html there are actually two mouse scroll fixes in there just use whatever one works for you. I don't have the AHK script since I've always used these old programs sorry!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 29, 2019

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

ToV rotation cancelled by Rogean.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Apparently some goons got upset over my log con scam on pubbie scum. I don't see how what I did is much different from the antics you hear about going down in EVE? Yet here I am banned from the goon discord and I assume booted from Unknown Guild. I figured the traditional as long as you aren't loving over other goons go hog wild culture was still a thing but I guess this forum is getting old and full of care bears.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can you elaborate on your log con scam? Seriously have no clue what you're talking about.

Just your run of the mill recruitment scam.

Befriend someone, work on them for months and months to get trust built up, make it seem like I got banned by GM and lost all my toons, ask the person ive been working on if I can use theirs since they dont even play anymore, they being hesitant I tell them if they become a GOON id never betray them or else risk the wrath of Senor Lowtax so they let me use their toons after becoming a J4G. I then strip their toons of all wealth and let the person know that their application to the great goon hive has been rejected and a processing fee amounting to all their pixels has been levied. That's the gist of it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Splitting the base is inevitable in this case. Many have been waiting years for green I hope the administration is up to the task they are attempting a lot of trainees at this moment. Hopefully some can learn the approach green is going to demand.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Manastone is god tier on a Wizard/Druid with the right gear. Otherwise is poo poo terrible but it's great for swindling rubes out of 800k.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

khysanth posted:

Smart money RMTd all their poo poo on blue right after green was officially announced

The really smart money used their staff contacts to unload everything just before the announcement.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Malaria posted:

I can't seem to get this game to run. I install it, and unzip the p99 files, and then I get an error saying mss32.dll and DSETUP.dll are missing. The files are there, I have them excluded in the Windows anti virus thing,

Tried about every fix I could find via google. Nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts? I'm on Windows 10.

Move the game folder directly under C:

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

moolchaba posted:

I got my SK to 20 on Green server and just completely burned out.

I'm so loving tired of this game. FINALLY AFTER 1000000 years I AMFRREEEE

You said this the last two times you were free lmao

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

cmdrk posted:

As much as I adore TAKP and play it almost daily.... This.

Kind of a chicken and egg problem though. TAKP would go from low pop to no pop without boxing. Still it seems to have a nice raid scene with 4-5 active guilds, about 250 accounts online at primetime.

If you can badger 2 friends to each roll two boxes with you, it's a ball of a time IMHO. For me it's hard to imagine going back to playing a cleric on p1999 without another class to keep me awake.

If anyone fancies trying TAKP I will happily bankroll the basics for you like banded and a green Jade broadsword or equivalent. I think one of the longtime players is doing a "get to level 10 as a new player and I'll give you up to 1k in gear/money" kinda thing right now, check TAKP forums.

I still have a mid 30s trip I play from time to time. It is a shame more people do not play regardless of the boxing a lot of effort has been put into getting a client from 2002 working.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

blatman posted:

is there a good way to get actually usable third-person camera on TAKP? modern MMO camera handling has ruined the old eq clients for me

Yeah there are two different programs that people use you can find the easier to use one at https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/p5xnQTqR/file.html. One is just a program that runs in the background the other you will need to know how to .dll inject so I only included the application one.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 10, 2020

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

blatman posted:

I wish there was a takp thread so I could post this there but this seems inactive enough that it won't annoy anyone - I clawed my way up from the newbie dirt and made it to 19 on a shaman on takp, farming the spiderling ruins in field of bone to afford spells and some garbage gear, this is pretty much perfect for the sort of game I was after but if anyone has a poison wind censer i'll farm spiderling silks for you in exchange. I think if I can nab one of those I can just cruise to 40 farming hill giants along the way to buy one of those clicky nuke bracers then level off of everfrost giants or something (seafuries in oot maybe?) to pay for torpor which will let me farm guardian wurms in skyfire at 60, this kicks rear end and it's going to continue to kick rear end

Shoot me a PM if you ever get up to the mid 30's I play a trio like a couple hours a week to scratch the itch and never get to group with anyone.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Dirt posted:

Any of you nerds playing on Mischief?

I miss having goons to bullshit with while doing dumb poo poo in this dead gay game

Caiu? Wert? Any of my old p99 nerd bros?
Caiu says "I don't have the money for a sub because im spending it all on school rather than meth and heroin"

GrayDorian posted:

Anyone here been playing on TAKP? I'd been really enjoying it, but hit a bit of a wall around 30 playing on my own
Yeah I do! What is your char names? I will keep a look out, although I rarely play.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah, not being fuckin' weak. I'm level 49 now, just 1 more... and then 10 more

More like 5 more then 10 more though.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mistmoore has a bunch of drops I want so it's bad.

EQ is 10% button pressing and 90% being a social butterfly. It seems like the vast majority of players forget this, so form your own groups lmao

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Rexicon1 posted:

Man. I’ve seen none of this on TAKP but maybe I’m just not in the circles that it matters. Everything in there just seems like a bunch of old dudes playing with their old guy hobby.

Maybe the MGB culture just makes it a friendlier place.

It is the admin enforced rotations, lower pop, and more expansions.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Yeah you have to use a third-party utility to get back mouse scroll, but otherwise it's super chill and pretty much anything is open to do. Especially with a three box and maybe a buddy with the same.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

milkman dad posted:

I agree that dungeon crawling with a 6 character / 2 person duo is really fun content. And you can/will crawl because many dungeons are otherwise untouched.

STATIC STATIC STATIC

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Last time I played p1999 a couple years ago it definitely had a blue bar. Surprising change if no longer there.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

please knock Mom! posted:

RIP easy levitate clicky

What are the ZEM changes? I hate the loving hole, can we go somewhere else now?

Chardok, seb, and karnors got bumped up 11% along with a bunch of others. Dunno what they were originally though, so who knows if they are better or worse than the hole.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Solarin posted:

but is it classic??

It is the same as it is on live now. Classic in this context is anything that changes the game to make it harder and more annoying to players.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Waroduce posted:

I've hit on forever quest recently and it def woke up some nostalgia. I raided through PoP and left shortly into LDON and managed to do Hate, Veeshans, messed around in Sleeper, didn't really do end game Luclin and did some various shenanigans in PoP. I'm not super interested in the later expansions but I would very much like to experience the raids through PoP with more of a focus on through Velious.

I've heard pretty good things about the communities in p99 but how active is it in general and how active is the Goon communities? I really enjoy the social and grouping and I'm a little worried it'll be dead trying to climb the level ladder since I'm not coming in at launch and I'll struggle to advance.

Would a live TLP be better community and living wise?

takp

"the al'kabor project" with cheat engine to make mouse scroll work

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

truavatar posted:

Well, guild had a hammer night where we kept recharging puppet strings and giving out clicks for PP, so I got one... hopefully I'll get some use out of it!

i thought that was dumb expensive now

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

The real question is how many guardian robes do you have? More than one is a mark of madness if there ever was,

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

NO GUILD AND NEVER WAS.

Some halfling supremacists, ok they had one token erudite too, made a guild when the server started. However, like all racists they succumbed to the depravity of their own natures, in this case getting fat on good times then moving on in life. So, there is no formal guild but plenty of people around in various places. Discord would be the place to ask.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

blatman posted:

i did in fact do that, which in retrospect is weird because i knew there were no maps going in

second time i panicked was when I remembered I had to keep track of my /loc before dying, except I remembered this after dying

take that loving AV off you pathetic scoundrel!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Node posted:

I decided to jump in on green, and made a human paladin, Edrickk. Just like how I did back in 1999. This is great. I'm not above asking for free poo poo this time, though. Anyone have anything wasting in their inventory they wouldn't mind offloading to me?

Since you are an idiot human you have no choice but to acquire a guardian robe now. You Fool!