Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Sex work should be legal for women and men, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I see a few ladies, everyone looks clean, most people are a reasonably average weight, only a few neckbeards. Camp Imgur is disappointing me.

Really white crowd, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

kazil posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Zsj0vl4

As if the world needed more proof that Imgur was made up of horny, lonely teenage boys

Wasn't the whole point of the Jude Law sex robot that women could afford sex robots and didn't need to deal with men?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Leia was angry about the slave costume. So really, the Jabbas are the dudes who think it's cool.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Well, yeah, there are definitely more crimes than false accusations of crimes. I don't see how that imgurian (autocorrect wanted to make that "infuriating") thought that was a good argument?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

That's what the matriarchy wants you to believe. Take the red pill duuuuude.

loving feminist FBI!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Skaw posted:

Yeah, just look at most self-checkout sections in stores. There's usually a few people on staff not just to monitor people from cheating the system, but also to assist anyone having issues.

My grocery store put in self-check registers, then ripped them out six months later.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The triumph of automated ordering will always be None Pizza with Left Beef.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Source your quotes.

It's a boring gimmick.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Caligula said the neck thing first, according to Suetonius. Though I think he meant that he was going to chop off everybody's heads at once, not strangle them.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I saw Nick Offerman in a stage version of A Confederacy of Dunces, and he was really good.

That is my Nick Offerman story.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Practical Demon posted:

Wait, that lady who made the shirt didn't even design the fabric? Is she at least in partnership with the guy whose poo poo she's selling as Simplicity pattern bowling shirts for over a hundred bucks a pop? Jesus.

The fabric itself is crazy expensive, so Alexander Henry got paid.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

"Reported" is an important missing word in that sentence

Those unreported murders are the worst ones.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Such Fun posted:

He's a succesful black man who's unapologetic about his self confidence. That sort of thing is reserved for the white man.

Kanye West and Donald Trump have a lot in common, but I bet a lot of the people vilifying West are big Trump supporters.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I think you're severely overestimating the significance of Reddit in modern society.

Nah, I hear lots of public figures saying, "I'm not a feminist!" in the same tone they would use to deny making GBS threads their pants.

Bonus points when they're women running for political office.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dogfish posted:

This predates Reddit.

It doesn't predate the Internet imo. Although maybe we're responding to different posts?

I think right-wing talk radio got a good start on the wing-clipping, if I understand GOTTA STAY FAI's metaphor, but the Internet took it further.

When I taught college in the early nineties, I didn't hear the average student talk trash about feminism.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dogfish posted:

Women not wanting to be identified as feminist because of negative social consequences or because of a misperception that being a feminist means hating men or being a lesbian definitely, without a doubt, predates the internet.

When I graduated high school, the same year Reddit was founded, I absolutely did not identify as a feminist because that was my perception of feminism and the perception of everyone I knew. I'm not saying that's how everyone in the world felt at the time (definitely not the case), but the idea that feminism is a fringe movement suitable for radicals and based in at least some form of man-hating is a really widespread and long-standing one.

I am really confused. I'm saying a particular social attitude (talking trash about feminism) didn't become widespread among 18-25-year-olds in the US, in my observation, until the mid-1990s. Your saying that you had that attitude in 2005 doesn't really respond to what I said.

Am I being unclear? I'm saying that in my experience, before the mid 90s, most 18-25-year-olds in the US didn't care about feminism either way, and that it wasn't widely discussed in that demographic.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Feb 24, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dogfish posted:

I'm sorry; I had misread you as saying that you thought this social trend had been precipitated by Reddit and in general by "the internet" (which I assume means by the particular social role that anonymous internet communication currently occupies). In my brain, somehow the mid-90s became the mid-00s, probably because I was thinking about the rise of social media.

If you are indeed saying that you think Reddit, social media, etc. caused the widespread perception that feminism is a negative thing that nice women should avoid, I think you're wrong. If you're saying that they changed the conversation, I think you're right.

I was more trying to get at something more like "popularized" or "made commonplace" rather than "caused", but I know I was not as clear as I could have been. But I think the trend really picked up steam among young US adults in the 1990s specifically because of the Internet (blogs, websites, Usenet, forums, etc.)

Thanks for being patient with my confusion! Sometimes headaches make me not very quick.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

If you Google obstetrician + malpractice + Australia, there are some pretty :gonk: newspaper reports. I don't think any country's immune from some of its doctors being lovely.

I think this dude is a winner right down to the Che t-shirt.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

It stands for Ask Me Anything.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

goose fleet posted:

Is "fam" actually used these days or does it solely exist in Imgur "black twitter" dumps

Teenaged girls on Instagram use it constantly

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

isn't dennis miller the guy who was the proto-jon stewart, and then became a crazy conservative?

Yes, what does he even care about the Democratic nomination for?

Agree that superdelegates are BS, but the Republicans had the same setup until 2015 (though with fewer superdelegates) for what that's worth. Also, Mitt Romney said he was voting for Cruz, which I thought Republican superdelegates couldn't do (vote for the non-primary winner).

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Mar 19, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

It's a system that would have saved the Republicans from their current lose-lose-lose-lose scenario with Donald Trump. They'll probably institute superdelegates in the future.

They have superdelegates, and the superdelegates were able to vote for whoever they wanted until 2015. The Republican National Committee just changed the rules last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

Trying to find actual numbers on this is a minefield of "statistics" trumpeted by MRAs and predatory divorce lawyers, but the best numbers I could find when I tried to really research it a few years ago were that 90-95% of men who ask for custody receive full or partial custody.

There really haven't been good studies on it. The data that there are suggest what you just said, but the research is sparse and dated. It would be amazing if someone did some really solid research on the topic, but the state of record collection in US courts is abysmal.

• Locked thread