Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
My favorite part is the "whom." Jimmy is absolutely the kind of dude who would use whom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Look, Demon is what it is - deliberately disgusting and silly and offensive and immature, and to me, still a lot of fun. It really annoys me when people try and psychoanalyse creators in this way. If you don't like the comic, don't read it.

Yeah. It was slow for a while, but now we're in the middle of what may well be the greatest fight in comic history.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Actually, having a bunch of demons inside the main castle does serve as a deterrent as long as Hunter has the daughter with him. Jimmy wouldn't risk her life.

Of course, Jimmy is to the best of our and Hunter's knowledge dead. So, uh, not sure what the hell this is all for. Other than the fact that it is very Demon-y.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, but why? Sure, keeping her hopeful that someone will burst in and rescue her might keep her from risking an escape attempt, but why does he need her at all? Sweetpea guessed that they needed her blood to make the demonizer, but they already have a demonizer. And also Hunter is a demon, so what would be special about Sweetpea?

I assume it ties into the mystery of Jimmy's dad, but the important bits are spread out so much that I really don't know what's going on.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Yeah, her art really shines and the ideas are great. Gonna link it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, it's like a more sinister Phantom Tollbooth with some really inventive art.

This is utterly fantastic. First new webcomic I've started reading in a while. Thanks for the rec.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

So however many Jimmys there are there, there's at least that many worlds where Hunter wins by default, because they no longer contain a Jimmy to oppose him.

Bravo Jimmy you idiotic nihilistic poo poo stain.

Haha, Jimmy is a video game character, and the comic is that one perfect run out of thousands where Bowswer doesn't win.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I finally read Kill 6 Billion Demons. On the one hand, I can't believe I waited so long because drat this is great. On the other, I'm glad I waited so long because there was more to read.

It especially would have been harder for me to follow when the mythos was not at all established and Alison hadn't yet gotten a chance to show who she was.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Like the current page, where Petunia is apparently a kung-fu master or something.

I am unsure of how to feel about this development. For now I shall settle for: rrreeeeaaaaaally?

I haven't gotten there because I just started reading, but Petunia being a martial arts master who turned pacifist was mentioned a few times in the first couple of chapters.

It was really delightful to see a Mischief Makers reference. That game doesn't often get the pop culture love it deserves, I tell ya.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Here's one example. Poppy is unfortunately one of those comics that has fanart, fancomics, and one offs in line with the actual comic instead of off by themselves. I don't feel like navigating looking for the other hints, but they were around.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That kabe don is just the best.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well that all sounds horrifyingly plausible :(

Especially when you look at panel 5 and see what looks like the tip of a possum tail poking out of the chair.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Carrasco posted:

The other two great implications are that Sweetpea--who was like 8 at the start of the story--was never a good person, and neither was Jesus.

There's an enormous gulf between being a good child and being a good person.

Also, I love the line, "I just wanted people to be nice to each other and also worship me as the manifestation of God." I felt Demon got a tad repetitive as it wore on, but it had some great moments.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

He was making peanut butter sandwiches. What kind of barbarian does that while wearing pants?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I don't get Kit's reaction. Is she taking Poppy's comment the wrong way? I don't see why she would. The cat, sure. Misinterpreting things dramatically is totally her thing, and she was more or less eavesdropping. Poppy and Kit were having a pretty direct conversation about opossums. Does Kit not know about the opossum in the chair?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

gently caress, I lost track of Poppy. In theory I have a feedly account to help me keep track of what comics to read when but in practice...

That just means you get to read a bunch of Poppy at once. Lucky!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm assuming Poppy will catch her a la the romance novel cover from earlier. Fingers crossed.

Did we already know that Kit turned off the dragon bell? Does that mean she's been working with the evil octopus thing?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Mostly we just make the same tired Eglamore joke over and over and mock Chibisoma's breakdown.

You're forgetting all the debates about proper parenting.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Today in Poppy O'Possum...

I was not expecting that.

I like how this page kinda works as a summary of Kit's entire arc so far. Messed up due to the unreal pressure on her, refused to accept kindly offered help, got punished repeatedly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I didn't know emergency response worked like that. Thanks for the cool effortpost on the red cross I would never have expected in a webcomics thread.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno. It can go one of two ways. Learning your parent(s) is/are just as fallible as anyone else with the same fears and hopes can improve empathy orrr it could just lead to Lily becoming even more disillusioned and I'm not sure which is more likely here.

Lily is smart. I think this will give her perspective on where her mom is coming from and maybe help her stop being so focused on her own pain. I mean, she was in a place where she didn't even care that her mom didn't die. She needs something to get her out of her own head.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Trigger warnings are like spoiler warnings. They're a nice idea for making a discussion or a work of art more welcoming to a wider range of people. People can obnoxiously overuse them, it can be aggravating when people act like failing to provide one is a grave sin. But ultimately they're a good thing that helps people communicate when they otherwise might not, especially on the internet.

I think Poppy is still doing Mondays and Fridays, but it seems to update really late in the day.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I am very happy about today's Poppy.

Fingers crossed the next page is just a splash page of the joyous day with "two dates later" written in the upper left.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

How do they blush through the fur?

Magic, probably.

OK, so I binged Poppy and Steven Universe in a two week span. Is there any other super gay, super great genre stuff I should be paying attention to?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Lady of the Shard seems like the next logical step.

Thank you for the rec, but I already read that. It was great.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Poppy would have given anything to be a mom. Also possums have litters, as we have seen every time another possum family has been shown.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

God, I hope Lily already knows she's adopted. If she found out now, in her current mental and emotional state? It would be bad. Could be even worse if she didn't find out until after she suddenly got a new mom.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, whatever happened to Allie Brosh? Last thing I remember was a big comc-post about her having what she didn't recognize as a manic episode and then suddenly radio silence for five goddamn years. :ohdear:

The last thing I saw her on was a youtube show called spellslingers, which holy crap was two years ago.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 19, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The conversation does highly suggest that yeah. I'm assuming Twee is either intangible or indestructible in some way such that she Literally Cannot Be Compelled To Do poo poo.

She has four leaf clover eyes, so I would assume super luck.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That cap over her ears is just way too good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Going back and rereading the first chapter of Poppy, I noticed that the possum goddess' eyes do the same ring thing Poppy's did when Poppy was staring down the third favorite wife. Pretty cool. I wonder if that's just code for rage, or if there's something more to it, like a possum thing or a lucky star thing. I can't think of anyone who has done it other than Poppy.

Also, do we know if Possums can have lucky star powers? I assume that the anti-magic thing means they can't, but I'm not completely sure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Friedrich doesn't need mice to enter Kit's lab, I don't think. He's in charge of security of the entire palace.

Gustaf was able to enter Kit's lab, I don't think Friedrich getting in there would be a problem.

He could enter the lab, sure, but could he find out the secrets Kit is keeping from him? My read is that the dragon incident happening so soon after infiltration by that octopus lady has made Friedrich suspicious, and he wants to make sure Kit isn't doing something horribly stupid. Which she is. So that could be interesting.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Humans are animals too, so who cares if there are humans are around. All Morbi said against humans in anthropomorphic animal worlds is that it's stupid when they're special. So we can assume that anthropomorphized humans are just one more type of animal in this world and not the first sapient species or the creators of the world or whatever.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm itching for some supernatural magicky type webcomic goodness and I'm all caught up on Broodhollow. Can't decide between Paranatural, Unsounded. and Gunnerkrigg Court. Haven't read any of them. Help me decide!

Gunnerkrigg is the best.

You might also enjoy Wilde Life. It's kind of a rural urban fantasy set in Oklahoma.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

mycot posted:

Yeah rule based magic is in fuckin everything and I think the last writer to really have a "magic is just magic" approach was Tolkien?

Name of the Wind has both rule based magic and "magic is just magic" magic. Game of Thrones magic isn't really the focal point, but it seems to be just magic. At the very least, everyone, even the people performing the magic, understand it so poorly that it might as well be. Harry Potter's magic doesn't seem to follow any rule or reason.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

So it looks like the Dragon Bell is another opossum in a magitech harness. At least, that's what I'm assuming given the bell requires feeding.

I thought state sponsored opossum hunting was bad, but living opossums regularly being used as base materials for magical devices feels like a whole other level of horror.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I thought the dragon bell was this water dragon type thing kept in a large aquarium tank in kit's lab?

That's the "world's only living sea dragon in captivity" according to alt text. They make it sound like lots of places have dragon bells, so I think they're different. I could be missing something though.

Page in question.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Great finished comics? I would recommend Kid Radd, Rice Boy, A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible. and (if you have a lot of time), 8-bit theater.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's sort of like taking a cartoon - yeah, they're all drawings but you can intuitively accept that they're meant to represent living things and physical places - and then sticking a photographed actor in it, Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style. Suddenly the goofy celshaded critterfolk ain't just people anymore, they're all weird and inhuman, and it's gonna be super weird if you don't account for why they're different from real people somehow.

It's more like if you take a cartoon full of anthropomorphic animals and then stick a cartoon of a human in it. Were you bothered by Elmer Fudd too?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

the special power of humans in poppy is revealed! the ability to be super condescending and rude about everything!

True mansplaining.

The really funny part is that she's dead wrong. Octobaddy wasn't there for the key. She just happened to run across it while on her real mission to turn the queen into an octoagent. Of course, ol' bongopants can't take the opossum's read of the situation seriously, even though Fred is way closer to being correct. Nope, his emotions must just be getting the better of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Comics tackling issues like rape, transphobia, and racism is pretty cool, especially when it's trying to figure out what superman could actually do to help with that kind of stuff.

The problem with SFP is that it's not clear if they actually have anything of substance to say on these issues. Worse, the execution is so hit or miss that it sometimes feels like a parody of those issues. There was a whole page of a mist person being triggered by the word "body." The resolution of the issue about rape was, "maybe vigilantes should just start killing guys," but dumber than that.

The first few issues were really good and it still has flashes of how great it could be. It's very frustrating to read.

• Locked thread