Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Self made classes? Mythic knows how to make bad games, I wonder how this one will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How to play a Mythic MMO:
1. Play a stealther first.
2. After the 3 months and half of the games population is gone from bugs and other issues, reroll to the most op class.
3. Rule from your skull throne of skill for playing the best class.

A PvP MMO let alone a skill based PvP MMO cannot exist in the ranks of MMOs anymore. DAOC worked because the choice was between Everquest(no pvp, old) and UO(no pvp, 2d, old). People don't like to lose a 60m DOTA game or even a 20m LOL game. Why would anyone play a game for 6 months with a chance that they lose.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kylra posted:

You have to be online for the entirety of the 60m DOTA game so I don't think your comparison is very apt. Plus a lot of people play DOTA, so why DO so many hundreds of thousands to millions play a game for 60m that they might lose? http://steamcharts.com/app/570 It's probably because if you want to play a pvp game, you have to accept that you have a chance at losing or else your opponents are simply not going to play. They aren't AI driven demons like in Diablo.

Dota games are only 20-60-90m long, and people arn't going to attack your ancients while you sleep. I believe Dota and Lol have worn away any basis of the pvp crowd. For one its faster, you arn't stuck as a class, and the games are short.

I don't play GW2 or ESO at a high level and I bet they have an issue with the early morning flip when no one is online.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 6, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kylra posted:

Still, your initial complaint was "who's going to play if they might lose".

Warhammer's Destruction side would like to have a word with you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

They let Beta 1 people in today, I got about an hour in, there's glimmers of potential around the edges, but it sure as gently caress is an alpha.

Its made by Mythic that means its pretty close to release.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

goldjas posted:

This looks and sounds pretty bad, but I did think that DAoC was the better of the 4 or so MMOs out at the time when the only real options were UO, DAoC, EQ, and AC, so maybe there is something here worth caring about? Probably not, honestly.

AC 2 was released after DAOC, it bombed and died. DAOC just thrived because there was little choice and all the LotR movies started coming out. Mythic hardly balanced anything ever and when they did they balanced them into the ground.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Extra posted:

Yeah but can I be a bright wizard and punt stupid elves off volcanic rocks into lava?

Ah Bright wizard the class so good could own people 10 levels above them. They really made sure they were balanced.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That gif is Warhammer online, I would wait in till the game is never released to throw money at it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

I backed this for 110$ 3 years ago, and I don't care if it takes them 3 more years to deliver as long as they test everything well and deliver enough content to survive much longer than the 30-60 days modern MMO's usually survive without seeing a vast playerbase drop.

People need to realize this is probably our very last chance to ever experience true RvR, with the bonus addition of being able to craft/build our realm like we want it to be (and try to defend it from others).

This being a PvP game at its core is also very important, because balancing a game for both PvP and PVE is something that has never been done successfully before and practically impossible.

ESO called and it wants to talk to you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also ignore that two other games with that at least one will last beyond this game's release and server close, has RvR combat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want there to be a farmer class, I want to grow crops in the game and sell them at the market.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimsemus posted:

Even though Chaos usually CRUSHED order, some classes were EXTREMELY good, such as Bright Wizard and Knights of the Blazing Sun, and some were TERRIBLE, such as Witch Hunter.

They never did fix the balance.

I don't think you played WAR at any high level, witch hunters did crazy damage with %50 attack speed bonus.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lets all play farmers!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zizi posted:

childish goons' who refuse to funnel poo poo to other high-level goons because gently caress that.

Haha, you one of the losers who play the game saying "HAY guys, I'm gonna to lvl up a tradeskill, ILL BE THE TRADESKILL GUY", Everyone gives him stuff and then, "Games boring, bye".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimsemus posted:

I think the final nail in the coffin was when the fishing goons were left in charge and they decided to then funnel all the goon mats to Wicked because "SURELY ONCE WE HELP WICKED TO GET A CASTLE THEY PROMISED THEY WOULD HELP US GET OURS" and people actually wanted to believe that.

Meanwhile our ships were smashing into pubbie fishing boats and enraging fishing goons further, even though we were the only people providing actual communal content that didn't involve "spend hours farming this poo poo then hand it over to me for no discernible reason".

You see communism is good, because you do all the work and I get all of the stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So goonionism is like communism except that it always ends with a backstab? I want to hear some more stories.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What the gently caress is ARK? isnt that the dinosaur game you can eat bad berries and you spend 30 mins making GBS threads? Its a rust clone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ruffz posted:

I never got into DAoC because I was playing RYL and WoW back in those days instead. I had heard lots of positive reviews for DAoC, and frankly that's probably the only reason I'm even a little bit interested in this game. I'm still extremely reluctant to buy into any "founder" poo poo after my ArcheAge experience throwing away $150. I'm also still bitter at how Mark Jacobs killed Warhammer Online, so I'm in agreement with the people that have said in this thread that the game feels like a trap. It's something I'll continue to monitor, but it'll have to show a lot of positive signs of being a really different MMO that could succeed before I spend any money whatsoever on it.

Daoc was dead when wow came out. Mythic can't balance games, daoc only thrived because there was only daoc vs eq1. Your search for MMO Mecca does not exist.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Third World Reggin posted:

WoW was such an improvement over EQ1 and DaoC it was amazing.

Health regen
EQ1 - 30 minutes between pulls unless you had a cleric and enchanter for mana regen. This was fixed later on.
DaoC - pulls were pretty consistent. Many healer classes, good sources of mana regen, Without these it was still a minute to five between pulls.
WoW - you can eat food now to get health back just sit the gently caress down

Levels
EQ1 - you could lose exp by death, you could lose levels by death, you had hell levels that took more exp
DaoC - you couldn't lose levels by death, you could return most exp by finding your grave, last 10 levels had half steps to prevent you from losing more than 50% of your level once you hit 50% of your level.
WoW - gently caress you level up every day

Gear
EQ1 - best in slot, mostly raids, took a long time and a lot of drama. Crafting wasn't good even when it was. While leveling you had to do specific things or be hosed. A lot of gear score poo poo and twinks.
DaoC - Crafting still bad. Gear decays over time with use. Can never fully repair. Great gear from raids, good gear from spell crafting.
WoW - Purps purps purps gently caress lets go raiding.

DaoC was a good improvement over EQ1 but WoW came along and did the same thing. A lot of the poo poo from DaoC was just loving awful.

Nice comparison some changes though

Daoc
Your life will suck rear end if you dont have access to a buff bot or own one
If you dont have a stam regen you will hate how long it takes to run places
If you guys think 15m timer for battlegrounds are bad, you should of see how long it took wizards to teleport you to pvp at release.
Hope your side has a way to actually lvl up to max lvl at launch, gently caress you mythic for not fixing albion's leveling areas.
Crafting actually had the best items, but took alot of money and planning to max stats.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xae posted:

Also by firing half of the team immediately after launch and moving the other half to try and salvage TOR.

At release DAoC was pretty brutal. It loosened up over time.

The thing I miss most about DAoC was the class design. EQ/WoW and most mainstream MMOs have been cribbing the D&D Players Hand Book for almost 20 years now. There are been almost no innovation in class design since EQ1. The mechanics have changed, but the theme and archetypes behind the classes are unchanged.

Except Daoc had like 20+ classes and it was balanced stupid awful. Best example midguard thralls(?) the melee wizard hybrid. They were god tier in till you couldn't stun lock entire zergs, then they turned into trash tier forever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game just wont work with all the up to date features of an MMO. There's already GW2 and ESO that have the huge rvr maps.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimsemus posted:

But GW2's biggest weakness is 50% of the content is just zerg slamming meta, the other 50% is just constantly ghost capping. You're incentivized to avoid combat and just rotate through keeps.

HAHA this never happened in daoc because people were dumb back then and didnt know any of the maps. Because just about none of the frontier zones had maps. If you think people are going to slam into a keep walls for hours in TYOOL 2015.

Every time they released a old/new frontier servers in daoc it turned into musical keeps.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

please don't troll tenzarin

Lol if you think this game will be the mecca of pvp in a mmo. Go look at any large scale pvp game out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

I'm sorry Mark Jacobs raped your childhood or whatever your issue is Tenzarin.

The truth is he canceled Imperator Online .

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CatAteSeven posted:

also a goon guild with goonunism could totally work if we just give the game enough time for everyone to get a feel for it/build up some skills and stuff. then we pool the resources and bam, Goons rule the not-space realm.

Communism can work, I call dibs on leader.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

the game is all druid farts and irish dreams of potatoes

nothing is set in stone so poo poo don't matter yet

Im going to be a farmer. WE NEED TO DECIDE ON A SERVER NOW!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Noah posted:

They said that its proprietary. They're making their own engine.

Lol, I'm guessing your agreeing with him but I don't know if you know you are.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The screenshot with water that looks exactly identical to camelot's repeated square water texture makes me think they could of reused something from the old days, but I have no idea really.

Are you sure mythic cuts corners? I'm still waiting on 3 racial cities per side in warhammer.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
"heavy fighters" sounds like an insult at goons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Noah posted:

At one point in the beginning, only Albion had itemized 40-50 dungeon. Hib and Mid had exp dungeons, with no items.

What was the itemized albion dungeon? We had the catacombs but that was like 30s-40s 25-35, I grinded up to 45 with it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 19, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kazvall posted:

Stonehenge.

I keep thinking stonehenge is the catacombs. There's no way you could lvl to 50 in stonehedge. The last room was just lvl 40-45 monsters.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 19, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kazvall posted:

The Wight room had oranges to a 50 iirc. Mostly I'd end up there when Lyonesse got old, or bad, or I just forgot to bind.

I played on Albion 3 times, the first time as a merc. We never had pbaoe groups for catacombs it was pretty much pulling one at a time. Never made it to lvl 50 on that guy.

I leveled 2 more Albion characters to lvl 50 in shrouded isles, both times with pbaoe groups. The grind dungeon was so much better in shrouded isles since it was more open and easier to navigate throughout.

I think Albion had a pbaoe class not many people liked to be or something because we did not have alot of them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xae posted:

That was the only thing Ice Wizards were good for.

I think hibs pbaoe class could be used as a duel role and not just have to be a pbaoe bot?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

anime is for pedophiles

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

Next up : Crafters building and piloting Leonardo Da Vinci type tanks or gyrocopters, depending on your faction. One race rather using ballistas, the other catapults and the third having access to mechanized siege rams...

The released pictures of the player build settlements in the mountains is totally hyping me up, as I have spend a lot of time in games like Ark, Space Engineers and the like. The one thing bothering me in those games is the instanced/server nature of those games.
Getting to be able to build/defend this stuff in an MMO is exactly what I look for in a game.

Mmos use servers too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

Yeah, but the population cap is typically higher than 50.

I am also not fond of the instanced nature of the zones in recent MMOs to deal with high crowds. But I am afraid it is the only way to deal with the Goonrush like crowd every new MMO attracts... Only to be deserted 2 months later obviously

Everybody hated log in queues, we know that.

Actually the best way CU could deal with it is to only allow access to backers and founders first, and gradually allow more people in with invite keys that founders can give out.

I don't know what cheap rust servers you have been playing on.

How to solve the problem of niche games not making income, limit the player base.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

I will definately be playing a crafter as building "bases" and such has always been a big draw for me in games. I just hope they will have a role on the RvR battlefield tho. If possible even some basic mellee or ranged skills that you can at least defend yourself a little.

:catstare:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Evernoob posted:

There is nothing wrong in Flavor of the Month OP classes. It keeps people rolling new characters, and it also creates an ever changing metagame in the Rock/Paper/Scissors model.
When one class does go into OP status where the Metagame can't compensate, they should just be dealt with by nerfing them.

Things like that happened in DaoC, have happened in MMO's through the ages, and still happen all the time in games like LoL.

Perfect "balance" by mirroring is boring.

Making 1 class exceptionally strong in this game doesn't mean that whole realm will only play as that class, because if they follow the DAoC model no class will really be self sustainable on the battlefield and will be missing critical utility abilities that hopefully will be spread over the various classes just like in DAoC.
GW2 made every class self sufficient so it didn't matter much what classes your zerg had, as long as they somewhat coordinated their attacks. They were even able to heal themselves.

Example why these games cant work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vax posted:

Yet another one of those games were I think to myself "wouldn't it be awesome to have those days again back from 2000ish daoc?".... nope, not going to happen. Count me mildly interested but I dont think this game will work for a lot of gamer vets nowadays. It may work for kids/students (who will probably just play what the top 3 games on twitch viewer count says) or people with no jobs or no family who want to relive their daoc times. (nothing wrong with that) So yeah, this will probably be filled with around 3000 players over all manifesting in like 5-6ish big guilds tryharding 24/7 and "having fun" with themselves.

You forgot the part where like a few guilds will stomp face and over half of the other people will leave because they remembered they were 10 during daoc and that they also hate losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Man, cant wait to play games with that guy.

MMOs sell price have always been awful for the time/money. Have fun working for 15 cents an hour.

• Locked thread