Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really understand why you'd make longterm bets with small margins of error. theres a 5% withdrawal fee and you won't see the money for so long you've essentially lost money. bet on sure things that close soon, like "donald trump will be >20 in the polls on aug 31" was selling for 50/50 for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool if, due to a statistical tie, they let everyone into the big kids debate except Graham, and still hold a kids table debate just for him.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
They would probably feel pity and let Graham come onto the big stage, but just never speak to him or acknowledge his presence

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Any reason not to buy Yes on Christie making the next debate? Going at 90c, and it seems virtually impossible that 8 polls with Christie at 0% will drop within a week. CNN would have to specifically exclude Christie, which it already said at the Fiorina announcement that it would not.

Link to the Fiorina announcement?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

Why did they add a market about Al Gore becoming a candidate? Is that something anyone has talked about ever?

Someone asked al if he was running and hew as like "Lol, no."

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Debating about whether or not to go in on "obama will not veto congressional disapproval of iran". Seems like the likely no-voters are already out, but there are a couple people who say they offer their support to overturn a veto, but will not filibuster it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

I've got a bunch of No shares on this one, not sure if I should sell or hold at this point. Looks like the price will keep going up, but I don't want to be caught unaware if Biden actually pulls the trigger, which is still possible.

I think if he's going to announce it'll be on Colbert's show, and I don't think he will; no is going to go way up if he doesn't announce on the show

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

I think the odds of a Colbert announcement are close to zero. Biden said he would make his decision around the end of the month, I think.

Anyway, here are my current positions:

Trying to sell the Carson @ Iowa shares, holding the rest for the moment.

i think probably good to hold on til after that then. people are super reactionary and it'll drive the price up.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
i see you commenting... vox nihi1i

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I bought 100 shares that Rubio was going to win the debate for some reason. Luckily they were like 12 cents. I'm hoping there's a bump when the next poll comes out so I can unload them.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

JEB! is still trading way higher than what should be the case.

When the next poll comes out, the market will close.

How do you get that from the rules here? I can only read that as that it closes on the 23rd.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

Ah, you're playing that market until its dying hours. That's what I meant anyway; it'll only take a few days until the post-debate polls come out and it'll close. I guess you'll see some weird swings between now and then.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. People betting erratically after the first poll comes in so I can offload those. Of course if Rubio doesn't do well at all I lose all of it but eh, whatever, ten bucks.

For some reason people Carson is way overvalued for winning the debate, despite being one of the frontrunners. It seems like debates have a bit of an averaging effect in the first week or so afterwards.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Carly is about to kill me again. First I lost out in a huge fashion when CNN decided to change the rules to put her into the debate. Now my "anyone but Carly" bet that seemed pretty safe at the start is worth half of what I got it for. Gonna hold until we see a poll though. Carson is still on the upswing.

I think there's no way he gets that big of an upswing from this debate, as compared to 3-point Carly.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's only 80 cents to buy that Walker will not be the next to drop out (Yes is selling for 38). If that price goes down some more it'd be a steal, no way Kochs give up on him so early.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
loving walker

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not feeling very sturdy anymore, the big things I have left are biden not running and the government not shutting down...

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they screw people by not closing the "first repub to drop" until way after Jindal suspended his campaign for a bit?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

A Time To Chill posted:

I don't at all dispute that the filing is super fake. But aren't the people running the site ridiculously spergy rules lawyers?

Yeah, which supports the claim that they wouldn't use a fake filing. It doesn't say "a filing under the name of..." or anything like that.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but it's not clear which of the approved outlets they use in the average and from what time period. See here: clearly the old CNN poll went away because there's a new one, but why isn't PPP in? It's within the past month.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

it seems PI is slightly falling for this technicality bullshit

It seems to basically be one guy trying to get other people to believe him. I wonder if he's just playing them.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If they ever get rid of the poll from two months ago, that is.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

pathetic little tramp posted:

I wish there were a way to set upper and lower limits. Like, I want to sell these shares at 79 cents, but if there's a frenzy going on, I don't want to drop below 70 so I'll let go of them at that too, but I guess with the way the site operates that's not really possible.

I've been thinking of this lately too, on account of that piece of poo poo Scott Walker.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got nervous about biden and the shutdown and pulled out. At least "Donald trump will be at 25" is a safe 20% profit.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

I just realized I have no loving idea if Biden is going to run or not and why am i betting on this

Yeah, that was my realization too, I'm really completely unsure if all this 'I'm not sure if I'll be ready' is show or not.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
haha after this morning's bernie at 24 polls I got out of that market, because i didn't expect another poll to come out soon with him >25. whoops

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Trump and Bush for the month seem pretty safe money and I've made a decent amount off them

Oh my loving god.

e: RCP removed a bunch of the republican nomination polls so that for, like, the first time ever on that site, it's based on a 5-day polling average, pushing Donald's rating down to 24.

fronz has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Sep 24, 2015

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting trolled pretty hard lately.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

Man I promised myself I wouldn't touch the poll markets after getting burned when I first started with this site back in April but I had to touch the stove again, didn't I?

His polling was unsinkable!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

I still have no idea if the YES Biden crew are nuts or if they're trying to game the market. I've never seen straw-grabbing to that extreme in any of the other markets.

If they were trying to game the market they should have sold their shares.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah I'm back in the black

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

gently caress me. Welp, here I am. I'm showing up for my well-deserved beating. Bring it on, boys.

Didn't you drop your shares after the debate? I thought you switched sides and a newcomer came to take your place.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I thought that his running would be pointless after Sunday, but I held onto my shares because I still thought he'd run anyways. :ohdear:

Oh well. It's gonna be alright.

Concerned Citizen posted:

I bailed the moment I saw Biden announcing on Rose Garden with Obama. Slight profit. So it goes.

Suck it nerd

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised Carson 22% is only 50/50.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How are you playing this? It looks like a complete coin flip to me. In the last 10 polls over the last month he has been below 22 exactly once. He has been a conservative icon for years and has way more staying power than any of the 2012 Romney alternatives. There has been some negative stories over that last month that are quite significant and I could see him being knocked down a few points. I don't see how the pyramid thing is any dumber than anything else he said. I was buying NO when it was in the 30's, but I have no idea how to play this when its 50/50

What exactly did you do the first time? Not to pick, but we all learn from what strategies work and don't work. What are some of your big bets now?

Now that he's a frontrunner, and given that he says a lot of stupid poo poo, people are going to keep talking about the stupid poo poo he says constantly (it fills the airwaves...) until he's been Jebbed. Most of his support seems to be pretty soft. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost a few points in the next polls that come out, and would be surprised if he didn't lose more than that over a full month of this. Certainly I wouldn't put it at 100% odds, but I dunno, 70-80?

E: People are also going to pay more attention to him on Tues, and he does not do very well in debates

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The stream of stupid poo poo has been pretty constant, its gotten him to frontrunner status, and most of his supporters are heavy listeners of talk radio. Until right wing radio turns against him it could go either way

YOLO I'm all in

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What did it even react to? I can't tell.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like it reacted to a New Hampshire poll by Gravis that put Carson at 7% in the state.

Weird, it'll probably dip back down by tomorrow. Seemed like a good selling point, might get back in if it stabilizes lower again.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Carson 22% has stabilized a bit again, lots of polls are showing him down after the Paris attacks (even if RCP doesn't count them and they're not national). Now might be another good time to buy in.
E: If you can get smoeone to sell you no for 60c.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
When does Louisiana resolve?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

Also:

LINKED DEM PRIMARY MARKET- IT COMES :unsmigghh:

Is there easy profit to be made from the switch to linked? I haven't been paying attention to all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
JBE's poll numbers are going down the tiniest bit. With luck this will continue and there will be some last minute scraps to grab.

E: Screw it, grabbed some Yes R's at 1c a bit earlier and was able to sell for 2 just now, that's a happy profit.

fronz has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Nov 22, 2015

• Locked thread