Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You wouldn't be surprised if a fired developer walked away with a brand-new engine that Konami spent tens of millions of dollars on and will almost assuredly be using in their soccer games and / or licensing off to other devs? That sort of thing doesn't happen. Konami owns the Fox Engine and everything related to it, there is literally zero chance that they fired Kojima and let him walk off with it as a "parting gift."

edit: Keep in mind this is the same company that diligently scrubbed the guy's name off of MGSV and sends developers they don't like to mop the floors in their fitness clubs.

They wouldn't have let him walk off with it, but he's pretty wealthy. If they really want out of the games biz, could've sold it.

I don't think that happened, but a year ago I would have said there is literally zero chance Konami would turn on Kojima like this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It would be pretty fun now to see the moments where Eli kills Kaz before MGS1 (as mentioned above), Ocelot reunites with Eli and 3rd Boy before Shadow Moses, Snake and Venom meet in MG1 and obviously when Snake and BB meet in MG2 re-contextualized with the backplot filled in.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
OH is a bit less important now that it's just one of like 5 soldier colonies BB and Venom consecutively ran. It gets blown up in MG1 just like the others, it's only special because Kojima couldn't reference Mother Base when writing MGS1.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Why is it so upsetting? Is it just because the game lets you keep playing instead of kicking you into New Game at the end of it?

Meryl could die in MGS1 in the final act of the game just like Quiet can, but then the game ends. Same deal here, except TPP lets you wrap up other stuff after the credits. If it didn't have side ops and you completed the game after 46 just like the previous games and it brought you back to New Game, I kind of doubt you'd be calling this emotionally exploitative like you are. It's just plot that happens. It seems like the fact that it has relatively meaningless (since you've already completed the game's main missions) impact on gameplay dictates that it is now lovely writing when really it's similar to the denouement the other games have.

Alternatively, would it be as upsetting if they just said "Boss you'll have to use another Diamond Dogs sniper from now on" that functionally replaced her in gameplay? If not, is it actually related to the writing at all?

e: other responses while I was writing this do seem to indicate that the complaints go away with a replacement gameplay token separate from the story aspect so this post is moot

Electromax fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Snak posted:

That doesn't contradict what I said, though? If you like, shoot her every time you take her on a mission, won't she never reach max bond and you can keep her forever?

Theoretically, yeah. It would be a trade-off because she isn't as useful at lower bond - just like DD, she can provide more actions at higher levels and at lower levels she's less active/directable/impacting.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You had The Boss, then Big Boss, but they've hovered around that one for decades. Surely after what Solid did in MG1-MGS4 he'd be eligible for a codename upgrade besides Old Snake... maybe like Solid Boss or something. He got no codename respect. He didn't even get any tribal nicknames like Saladin or Shalashaska.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I don't know too much about the laws surround this, but could they sell the entire thing to someone who would care?

Yes. If they can convince said buyers that the Fox Engine is easy to use if you aren't Konami, and that it can compete with the other common platforms like Unreal or Source or Unity or whatever, it could be an appealing acquisition.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Her entire skin is parasites. Pretty gross when you think about it

I can plainly see the 1 trillion bacteria swarming all over your epidermis, and yet here you cast stones from your glass house.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
People complained about MGS2+4's interminable cutscenes and plodding discussions, and now it has swung too far the other way and people want more story and more cutscenes. The genius of Kojima is that he DID include hours of interminable cutscenes, they just secretly accumulate over time in the form of watching Snake in the helicopter arrive at the drop zone 100s of times. Those 30 second deployment videos add up over time to the tune of a couple hours of waiting.

Really wish you could just drop right into the edge of a side op zone without that little flair beforehand like PW. It's enough to make me sprint for 100 seconds to a nearby side op after finishing another one, instead of calling ACC and having to watch it drop me off again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yes, I am sure the same website that already got publicly outed as being a fake, including the person who made the site admitting it was fake and just an "homage" to Kojima to draw attention for his lovely indie horror game, is actually real this time.

Very convenient how they have a site linking to an msx tape of Portira a week after the people decoding the tapes found a reference to it. All they are doing is playing into a bunch of desperate peoples' confirmation bias by reading the conspiracy threads and putting stuff on a fake website that seems to support it. Jesus Christ, guys.

Or, it's just people having fun while dealing with the phantom pain of a void where the last few ingredients of the potential Greatest Game Ever were supposed to go.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In my game Venom's real name is Vermon CaTaffy.

e:

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Miller stole it for TPP too. Then Liquid stole it for MGS1.

Thing's more of a relic than the bandana.

Is there any evidence that Liquid ever actually wears a shirt underneath that trenchcoat? He's a fan of the bare chest.

e2:
Sorry but after playing it over summer on HD collection after 1-4, I think PW sucks. The gameplay is anemic and the story lame (hated the motion comics). Now that 5 is here I don't know that I'll ever return to it. I'd put PW a solid last on MGS rankings, well behind 4.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 24, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

oddium posted:

i'm going to guess this is wonderful 101 all over again and you're just bad at games

What is so great about PW taken alongside the rest of the series?

MGS3 does all the gameplay better. You can't even belly crawl and the PSP origins mean levels are generally tiny and boring. TPP does all the mother base stuff better. Letting Kaz auto-manage big chunks makes it much less of a pain, the interface is a lot better, and the things you actually develop are usable in a fun gameplay environment. People complain about the Side Ops being repetitive in TPP, but if you wanted to 100% PW you would have to beat essentially the same 3 bosses like 40 times in the same room.

The only box I'd tick on PW over other games is that it has Hayter's final full performance and it's apparently the last game to have MGS goofiness levels like the pooyan and date missions which TPP is sadly lacking. But that's about 1/100th of the game. I really was excited about PW after everyone saying it's the best MGS ever but I just sort of scratched my head, like this is it? 1=3 > 2=5 > 4 >>>>>> PW.

e: I'm not surprised that there are no actual counterarguments beyond "you suck at games" and "opinions wrongman"... yeah, let's complain about a 2-minute truck ride then gush about how amazingly fun PW's vehicle battles were

e2: I used the auto-assign option in PW, I just don't remember it being a passive thing and you had to go press it every so often

Electromax fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 24, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I love this series to death, but I'm sorry. MGS3 plays like complete poo poo.

Which makes it all the more mind-boggling that PW is considered superior. I didn't say it's amazing compared to other games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Snak posted:

Obviously when Liquid took over FOXHOUND, he's not the one who issue a bandanna to Snake/Meryl.

I'd wait until the MGS7 retcons to say anything with authority

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was bummed this image/costume from the launch trailer didn't make it into the game in any form that I remember:

He goes from BB to Venom to Skullface to this (end of MG2 BB?) as he walks down the quarantine hallway.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Other missions include 'kill two guys', 'shoot guys from a helicopter then shoot a tank', 'destroy 3 things and a tank' and 'collect an item'. The prototypes for all the side ops basically.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Dominant and recessive genes don't correspond to lovely/good clones, Liquid just misunderstood the concept.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

His voice acting is so good I can hear it. They really nailed it with all the voice actors. Except for Troy Baker. He was so generic, and sometimes hard to tell from Cam Clarke over the radio.

I don't think Clarke is in this game. I wanna say Robert Downes is Kaz?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Before the game came out, I suspected there was going to be time trickery and the coma would somehow parallel/actually be BB waking up after getting Solidus chunks post-MG2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I for one look forward to further speculation on Chapters 3-5 going into the glorious year 2016. We'll get to Outer Heaven someday

Electromax
May 6, 2007
GIS'ing "ruptured eyeball" returns some pretty wicked images. There should've been a part in 3 where BB stares down Volgin and lifts his eyepatch and there's just a violent red orb looking back at him.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

I was disappointed you didn't have a shootout or fistfight with Skull Face.

Kojima softly whispers, "the phantom pain..."

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Don't forget D-Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Real BB just glued on a fake horn back then.

• Locked thread