Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

In It For The Tank posted:

The Patriots' S3 Plan was a test run for the planned deletion of Otacon's web search history.

"Selection for Societal Sanity" indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Except Queequeg is the first mate on the Pequod! I like to imagine that Pequod is the heli and Queequeg is the pilot.

And Morpho is a type of butterfly.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah as far as I can tell they were angling for Outer Heaven to be retconned as a ginned up Mother Base. Zanzibar Land was a full on micronation established on the ruins at Tselinoyarsk from MGS3.

I like that between them the Big Bosses establish four separate PMCs / soldier nations and they end disastrously each time. They're like the Donald Trump of soldiering.

Ocelot loves Big Boss and that's all you need to know really. In MGS1 he's working for Liquid but is actually reporting to Solidus but in reality is an agent of the Patriots but ultimately is working with EVA to destroy the Patriots.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 21, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Skull Face is also the one who goes out of his way to make sure BB isn't on Motherbase when he blows it up, so he definitely wants to draw out their suffering or something. It's kind of inconsistent given the fact that he sends Quiet to just murder him in his sleep, but eh.

Skull Face's original plan was for Big Boss to see everything he built explode and slide into the ocean and then be killed when Paz detonated. He did want to toy with BB before killing him but nothing like what he had planned for Zero.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Nakar posted:

Otacon's mom outright programmed the Patriots to love him, I imagine any red flags were quietly papered over by the AIs or if anybody objected to Hal's ideas a mysterious order from on high came down: "You leave that anime poo poo in or you're fired."

Rex was also a project that came about from a huge Pentagon black budget being freed up due to the Arsenal Ship project being cancelled. ArmsTech would have been getting blank cheques and no-one would have been paying that much attention to the end product.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

Is SS really an agent of the Patriots in MGS2? Raiden obviously was, but SS? It's been a long time, but did I miss some retcon about Philanthropy being controlled by the Patriots?

Yup, Philanthropy are being secretly funded by the Patriots in order to keep the Metal Gears around the world in check. Otacon says that one of the twelve names in the data they get at the end of the game was one of their biggest donors.

e: beaten but I'll add that everything Snake does in the Plant chapter isn't part of the Patriots' plan - although the AI still manages to complete the test despite his interference.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 21, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

Yeah that makes sense. God it's so depressing. MGS is arguably about how the more directly you attempt to fight against the status quo, the more the repercussions of your actions reinforce it.

It's also about how the things you put in motion quickly grow beyond your control. The Boss has a vision for the world and everyone fucks it up. Zero tries to instil his vision in AIs and they go wild. Big Boss has his own vision which Liquid tries to ape in MGS1 but just ends up ranting about chaos and honour.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

blackguy32 posted:

That information was fake.

That actually makes it really funny - there was no reason for them to put the fake name of the Philanthropy contributor on there, but they did it anyway. The Patriots really are the Illuminati.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Grinning Goblin posted:

Ummm, I just called out that using Huey was a very poor example. He is a pretty awful person and he did quite a few things that are far worse than torture. Doesn't make torture right, but if you had any concept of context, you would understand why he isn't a good example if you want sympathy. It would be like making Osama Bin Laden a posterchild for denying a suspect due process.

It's interesting that you make this comparison because a couple of weeks back it came to light that a UK politician had said "hey, it was kind of hosed up how the US just iced bin Laden without trial, we should be better than that" and the media response was as though he said "BIN LADEN DID NOTHING WRONG".

Everyone in MGSV is a piece of poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DaveKap posted:

Actually this game was supposed to be about nuclear proliferation but they scrapped most of that story because it was already in Peace Walker. Whoops.

Peace Walker and Phantom Pain join the original MGS to form Kojima's "MAD is for dumb idiots" trilogy. PW is basically an anime version of the 1983 incident where a false alarm from a Soviet early warning system almost plunged the world into nuclear war. Phantom Pain is about nuclear deterrence without the nukes: there's a reason the double flash incident is in the closing timeline.

Big Boss is a battlefield deterrent to PFs, but half the things attributed to him are apocryphal and we don't play as him anyway. It doesn't matter to Diamond Dogs: the legend is real.

Plus Sahelanthropus, despite looking imposing, only works due to being puppeted by a psychic and its only nuclear armament is to self destruct. It's intended to work as a shock and awe weapon that gets everyone to buy Skull Face brand nukes - which themselves don't work unless Skull Face wants them to.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sylink posted:

Do the reinforcements work properly? Half the time like 3 dudes show up to assist and the other half I just here the enemy radio babbling on until they give up.

The only time I've seen significant reinforcements is around the largest base and that weird prison thing in Afghanistan.

As far as I can tell the game realistically models troops being pulled in from neighbouring outposts so it often takes a while for them to arrive and there usually aren't that many. The last time I had a call for reinforcements go out four guys turned up from the outpost up the road just as I secured the base and got on the AA gun.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Aurain posted:

Buff Skinnyman?!

Fatboy Slim.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I tried playing a new game of MGS1 the other day. Peeking round the corner at the first guard, I tapped on the wall to get his attention, intending to hip toss him to the ground as he got close.

It... didn't work so well.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Megasabin posted:

My brother was telling me yesterday that Venom Snake doesn't exist, and Big Boss and Big Boss just suffered brain damage from the helicopter accident which is making him hallucinate all game.

His basic argument is that one of the themes of the final chapter of the game is "there are no such things as facts, only interpretations". When taken into context that mission 46 points out lots of inconsistencies like "Ocelot takes venom and gets on a ship to the seychelles at 4 am in the original intro, but in mission 46e he gives big boss the motorcycle at 6 am". He also cites all the hallucinations about Paz, and that you have a hallucination about saving Paz, which the medic never did, Snake did.

Is this an actual theory or just my brother being crazy?

This was a few pages back but chapter 0 / 46 aren't necessarily inconsistent about when things happen. Big Boss wakes up and leaves the ambulance before Venom, but then presumably skulks around in the shadows until Venom's been stashed on the whaling ship. In chapter 0 the game cuts away before Venom and Ocelot get to the ship, so Ocelot could easily have met back up with Big Boss before setting sail.

The destroyed bridge from the escape is also in the background when Big Boss meets back up with Ocelot and gets on the motorcycle, so it's pretty clear that part takes place after Ocelot and Venom have escaped the Man on Fire.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I don't know why "I beat the sniper boss on Extreme without moving" is a criticism, I'm pretty sure everyone itt has cheesed Sniper Wolf with nikitas at least once

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

It kind of made no sense. The beginning of the tape makes it sound like Zero was expecting a package from him. Like they discussed Skullface finding this item for Zero and delivering it. Then as soon as Zero pricks his thumb, he's all like "SOMEONE TALKED HOW DID YOU FIND ME?!"

edit: I think that Pin belonged to The Sorrow, and it was The Boss's last memento of him. So it was also a close personal memento of The Boss. It's possible that Zero wanted it himself for sentimental reasons, or he was planning to give it to Big Boss as an olive branch.

It's probably not the Sorrow's, assuming he's telling the truth Zero says that the pin's owner was lost in Egypt in the early 40s - but the Boss kills the Sorrow at Tselinoyarsk only a couple of years before the events of Snake Eater.

I'm honestly surprised that Kojima didn't use this opportunity to hint at the Boss's own mentor.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So there's a documentary film out in the UK at the moment about the singer Orion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3la8GbE-o

For those who don't know, two years after Elvis' death, a soundalike called Orion began touring while wearing a mask and a surprising number of people (fans and industry professionals alike) swore up and down that he was Elvis (despite being the wrong height, wrong build, having the wrong colour eyes etc). It's an interesting look at how people can become so fixated on a legend that the person behind the legend ceases to matter, and can even be replaced entirely. I have no idea if Kojima knows about Orion but it's a fun parallel.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

lovely Wizard posted:

Also self-shilling unrelated -Also how many nukes are you guys up to disarmed? I'm up to 49 :

If you fail the nuke invasion does the invadee get the option to wipe you off the face of the earth? I've seen a lot of discussion about this but no confirmation of it happening.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Aurain posted:

By this point, there'd be footage of it, even if it were just a dialogue box, if it were something that could happen.

So literally the only purpose of nukes is to prevent low level players from invading your FOB (which is something you don't want to happen because their stream of inevitable failures is a nice revenue stream) and it also makes you a juicy target for high level players and disarmament groups.

...Metal Gear really is anti nuke.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Stabbatical posted:

I knew there was a PC MGS port, I never really thought about it before, but now I'm wondering how the Psycho Mantis and post-torture arm massage stuff works without a Playstation?

Presumably the same as it did if you didn't have a DualShock? They were pretty new at the time (I might have gotten one specifically for MGS).

Also were the illustrations in the PS1's manual in colour or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

RatHat posted:

It makes no sense that Huey would design its upright mode in the first place if it didn't work without Mantis(who he had no idea existed). The entire point of it in the first place was that it could walk upright.

It also makes no sense that the US military would get so fixated on an aircraft with VTOL capability that they'd make something that melted the tarmac underneath it on takeoff and was unable to carry a payload.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

yeah, max. Hal was born in 1980, and they found Strangelove's body in 84, but it was at least 10 months old then, so if Huey locked her in their as soon as she found out about him putting Hal in Sahelanthropus, Hal would have been like 3 and some change.

It's weird to think that Otacon was 25 during the Shadow Moses Incident, his codec picture looks haggard as poo poo

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Colapops posted:

This is a "problem" with a lot of characters in the series: they look about 20-30 years older than they actually are.

Yeah but Otacon isn't a rapidly aging clone... OR IS HE??

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Snak posted:

So what the gently caress is up with Mantis and Volgin? Like, we know Volgin has super-powers. That's always been a part of his character. And, the fact that flames are what indicate that Volgin is controlling Mantis, means to me that the flames are definitely Volgin's power, independent of Mantis. Eli and Skull Face need Mantis to animate Sahelanthropus, but what does Volgin need Mantis for? What to blender those guys with helicopter blades at the beginning? Is Volgin like, really unfocused, so that Mantis doesn't really do much to help him? Does Volgin essentially not need Mantis, but Mantis hangs around him anyway because he is attracted to the strong emotion?

Volgin needs Mantis because his body is totalled. Like Venom, he's a whole load of burning lust for revenge in a comatose body, except with worse prognosis.

So Volgin's rage powers Mantis and Mantis' powers animate Volgin - he basically puppets himself. A couple of times in the game Mantis gets distracted and Volgin completely stops moving.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh and the fire powers aren't inherently Volgin's, it's just how Mantis manifests his rage. When Mantis channels Venom we get the fire whale.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I figured it was the first one (because Eli is a dick), Volgin can't move at all without Mantis pulling his strings.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Dream Attack posted:

From what I remember, you're clearly able to see The Sorrow's corpse during the Virtuous Mission - right before you're about to get nuked.

What surprises me most is that Volgin, The End and The Pain are all explained through parasites/mind control - but The Fury is left alone. I guess this means The Fury was just an angry dude? It's a shame since he was my favorite boss battle throughout the series!

The Fury's boss battle is great and has fantastic music. He doesn't really do anything supernatural when you fight him though, he's just an angry guy with a flamethrower and a jetpack (and then post-death he becomes a big flaming skull).

e: I'm actually kind of disappointed that the Pain's backstory where he let hornets sting him a zillion times until they thought he was one of them has been partially retconned.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Bacontotem posted:

Volgin was obviously a power bottom.

You're pretty good.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Then it turns out that the guy running your DNA test had an E in Medical and you actually are a genetic match

Then teenage George pops out and ices you

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So in the first mission Ocelot says I can place markers while looking at stuff through my scope or camera.

There's no camera item in the game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Vikar Jerome posted:

Speaking of tapes, https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3o6zw8/ep51_related_cassettes_tape_found_data_mine/

They've datamind cut tapes relating to mission 51. I havent listened to it yet since im at work but the links are in the link above..

I think that tape was used as the intro to the episode 51 video. It's interesting that it's still in the game, but not new information.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Scott Dolph was also a Konami rep who did translation duties for Kojima.

"Scott, I think I will name a character in my new game after you. He is a marine commander who takes his duty very seriously."
"Thank you Mr Kojima, it's a huge compliment that you would-"
"Also, he hosed a vampire man!"
"..."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DaveKap posted:

Can anyone point out WHERE on Outer Haven this thing was actually located? I was infinitely bothered by seeing it for half a second and then not being able to actually see it anywhere on the ship despite seeing multiple angles of all sides of the ship.

It was an Octocamo projection on the front of the slidey hull bit I think. I'm pretty sure it deactivates and disappears immediately after being shown in the cutscene.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I actually really like how every deployment opens with Snake sitting silently in the chopper with a thousand yard stare. It's even better in the postgame when you can play using your true face.

Although Jungle Boogie kicking in undercuts the mood a little.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Dewgy posted:

That was a good game.

And did Kojima seriously say that it's not Metal Gear Solid 5, it's actually Metal Gear Solid V?

Because that makes way more sense to me, I kind of knew about the twist when I started kept expecting it to be Chico actually and I figured that out in like ten minutes. It's a great mixup too because even their pre-release stuff calls it "MGS five".

Ground Zeroes as a chapter is the ground zero to every single thing that happens in TPP, the whole thing is the story of V, Venom Snake.

This is from an interview in 2013:

quote:

“Up until Metal Gear Solid 1 through 4, of course, we used regular Arabic numerals. But since then, the west has really caught up. And I think in many ways, we’re threatened by games from the west. There’s a lot of competition out there. So we really wanted to reinvent ourselves with this game, really invent the series. So shifting over from ‘5’ to ‘V’ represents our will for victory—’V’ stands for ‘Victory.’ And that’s what we want to accomplish with this game, kind of take back our leadership and stride for victory.”

Also:

quote:

“Last Metal Gear“

“I want this to be my last one. Of course, I always say that, but this time I really want it to be true. You know, after this, I really want the Tokyo team and the L.A. team to focus on their own, take over Metal Gear, and create new games in the series while I’m free to work on my own projects. For about 10 years, I’ve had all these ideas in my head that I want to create, so hopefully I will be able to work on that.”

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 15, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It was always The Phantom Pain with Metal Gear Solid V appearing in the negative space around the words, I think early trailers did have the words in red on a black / grey background though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I like the idea that what we play is the Medic's recollection of Jack's missions. He wasn't given a detailed layout of any mission area except Camp Omega so he just awkwardly set them all there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hobo By Design posted:

"Realistic military procurement!" should have been a selling point.

I would have visited MB a whole lot more if I could have seen the R&D boys testing the various "in development" equipment which inevitably fucks up horribly

and then the gently caress ups just get rolled into the final version

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Surlaw posted:

I love that a cover version of Big Boss wakes up to a cover version of Bowie's song.

fucken BOOM

It's such a great opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm assuming that you have to wait for three in-game days to pass. I wonder if Ocelot is all "hurry the gently caress up Snake" as time passes.

• Locked thread