Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

acksplode posted:

I can sort of understand how people might have hoped MGSV would have taken them on a ride in the same way the other games in the series did. But I don't know where people got that expectation in the first place since Konami marketed it so clearly as a less linear and more player-driven open-world game. I was a little disappointed by the relative lack of narrative compared to the abundance of gameplay, but nothing about the game's structure surprised me at all. When compared to say Assassin's Creed, MGSV feels metal gear as gently caress to me.
It has the same amount of cutscenes as other MGS games they're just really confused and bewildered because it has hundreds of hours of gameplay to go along with it instead of, like, five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Welp, looks like my butterfly emblem is never changing.
Just upgrade the CGM all the way and take it on the side op. It makes the mission insanely easy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think they should have killed Huey but sending him off to merrily scoot back to Cipher with insanely in-depth knowledge of everything about DD's R&D was extremely dumb.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Does that really matter thought since Ocelot was working for Cipher anyway? In a way Miller was on contract to do remake mother base from Zero also.

Also there is that dialogue between Ocelot and Miller where Ocelot says something along the lines of "when you decide to go back to Cipher."
Venom made the call to let Huey go though and he has no idea about any of this at that point.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Reminder that Huey gets cucked to death.
Incredible that MGS2 both predicted the concept of memes, and more specifically the most dangerous one of all... the "cuck" meme.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sylink posted:

Hmm, that sucks. I've been replaying GZ and honestly its better in a lot of ways, mostly due to the constraints. But worse controls and UI.
If TPP had been, like, 10 Camp Omegas with open approaches (don't ask me how that would work) I'd have liked it even more. It's still incredible but you can tell Camp Omega had the most attention and care put into it as an individual location, making it great for infiltration.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

We dont get any closure on DD. :(
At the age of 10, he peacefully retires to the Zoo Platform, which Solid Snake never invades. Young Sniper Wolf trains him to herd all the animals onto lifeboats and escape.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

So I just beat TPP Chapter 1, and god drat if "bugs that selectively kill you according to which language you speak" is not the single most loving balls out retarded literary concept I have ever even been able to conceptualize. It might be one of the single dumbest things I've ever heard.

Not to mention the whole "nah, people don't think in concepts and mental pictures, they think along the narrow lines of the words they're given, oh and languages are not living, dynamic things that change almost daily to some degree, meaning that language is a manifestation of the thoughts and communicative needs of the population that speaks it, it's a static thing imposed upon people to control their thoughts" thing is also equally as retarded, and proven flat out wrong decades ago.

I love the gameplay to death, but MGS5 story was a flat out embarrassment.
it’s dumb but I’m assuming they’re going for a words-as-control 1984 Newspeak thing. Which, as you said, is kinda a thing of its time :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is there a specific reason the parasites don't react to Navajo? Or is it just that there was no Navajo parasite made for whatever reason?

It's one of the most unique and least-spoken languages in the world so I guess it was harder to pin down?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bIG boss hosed up my f ace and called Obama the N-word.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So it other words, much like Kojima. He changes his story to fit the times, to fit whatever he's thinking. There are no facts to Kojima, only interpretations.

Seriously, I almost wonder if Huey is some kind of hosed up self-insert for Kojima himself. They both made Metal Gears for a living until they were fired, at least.

Take a look at whose glasses Huey is wearing when he gets exiled.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Is he wearing Kojima's glasses or something?

EDIT: Holy gently caress what a dumb typo.

Yup

E: I'm not going to pretend I actually understand what he's getting at because I don't

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ledenko posted:

I just read some trivia about skullface - apparently on the bonus bluray stuff, Kojima mentions we're supposed to feel "a phantom pain" once he's gone. It's funny, I felt "a phantom pain" missing a proper antagonist the whole game.
Skull Face owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

after Ground Zeroes, all Diamond Dogs helicopters are staffed entirely with Big Boss body doubles just in case

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Boss awakening was what caused Volgin to awake in the first place so the scene where you find his remains makes sense, it's the last spark of life in him reviving him to finally kill Snake just like his hatred woke him up the first time, and then he realises he's strangling the wrong person and dies for good because Volgin's kind of a chump.

though he is hooked up to a life support machine on the R&D Platform so ???

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He speaks English in White Mamba if you don't have a Kikongo translator/speaker

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just read a study the other day on how people who speak multiple languages literally have different mental personalities for each language. It can even be applied to code switching in the same language like how minorities within their community will have different ways of speaking to someone outside the community in the same language. It's not necessarily that we are bilingual in this case but more that we are bicultural, and you tend to only use one language with a certain culture.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/11/multilingualism

my smooth buddy's girlfriend is studying exactly this for her PhD. She's German but lives here in Scotland - when she goes home to visit, she dreams in German and finds herself more relaxed, when she's here she dreams in English and finds it harder to switch off from work/studying even when she's on a break. It's really interesting stuff but I guess is getting a bit outside the scope of the anime supersoldier game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

When holding people up I usually do a quick check to see if the box to lie down appears. If not I just assume they are gonna try to knife me and I grab them. Haven't really bothered with no trace runs or doing any real testing on this method though.
It's even easier than that, if your reticle stays red they're going to attack.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

I think they mean this'll just reset the timer on them turning around and attacking you. Gives you time to think of a different strategy other than hold-up.
no, it resets them completely, so they might not attack at all

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Snake vapes so much he can't be infected, Code Talker says when you meet him

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Listen to the lyrics of not your kind of people again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aurain posted:

He's the leader of that FOB. He attacked you in mission 22.
The story is you've found his base and are retaliating against him.
But I recruited him why would I do that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Would it be too stupid to just have a final level set during Operation N313 where Solid Snake kills you? It might be an opportunity to flesh out Venom acting like a cackling cartoon villain for that fight.
it would be the expected thing to do but I really don't know why they didn't do this. It would've been great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

something in an MGS game that works well thematically but is kind of insane and might not work in real-world terms........... i'm shocked, I say, loving shocked.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Even right at the end Ocelot still just wants Snake to think he’s cool :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Every MGS is just a mishmash of Kojima's current obsession on the year he sketched out the design document with the insane plot and characters molded to fit whatever came out. The fact that it works really well 90% of the time and comes full circle to some pretty great stories is just a testament to his talent.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

I got bored of linking to /r/neverbegameover but this chico talk reminded me that they datamined the companion app recently and found references to chico being in some outpost in africa along with more stuff about quiet reunion that now looks like it is a separate reunion set after a quiet exit plus the same stuff about camp omega map and mission 51 stuff we already knew about.

not even going to comment on whether is cut or still to come in ~chapter 3~ or not, that loving subreddit has this new theory about the 6th man and delta man and like 4 other venom clones or some poo poo, i don't know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3onerc/data_from_the_companion_app/
The people raiding apartments in Manhattan and so on are wonderfully crazy but I’m glad people are getting enjoyment out of Kojima and Konami’s hints and red herrings. I dunno why they’re expecting to “unlock” something when if we get more content it’ll just be announced at some point as DLC, but I’m glad they’re having fun :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

Incidentally on a replay I overheard a conversation about DD where one of the Mother Base soldiers gets really defensive over another one suggesting DD is a wolf and not a dog. It's well before the Huey sequence and is essentially foreshadowing for it.

EDIT: Come to think of it that's probably why Ocelot of all people is the one who trains DD. He trains a wolf to be a dog as he trains Venom to be Big Boss, each of them really something he's not. Makes a lot more sense of why Huey's scene leads directly into Truth.
imo it's definitely ambiguous as to what you actually look like. Miller is blind, Ocelot knows the truth, Huey doesn't recognise you at first and your men sometimes talk about how nobody knows what Big Boss really looks like (which seems, uh, unlikely, but ok) and you've been magically hypnotised. Maybe you look like your created character the whole time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Unlikely, After all the point of the plastic surgery was to fool the outsiders. I'm pretty sure Skull Face would know you weren't Big Boss unless you looked sorta like him.
It's hard to tell with Skull Face because he's insane, but when he calls you "Big Boss" the subtitles say it in inverted commas and he says it kinda sarcastically? I dunno man this game's weird.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Snak posted:

DD is almost certainly a wolf-dog. Half wolf, half dog. Not only is this a reference to Metal Gear Solid 1, but wolf hybrids called Volkosoby are currently used by the Russian military to patrol part of the Afghan border. We know how much Kojima cares about anachronistic things, so I don't think it matters that Volkosoby didn't start being used until 2010.
he's a dog, fucker

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

"For their period" being the important phrase here. I have no doubt MGSV will be well-regarded for its period, but is it something I'm going to want to play through again in its entirety 10+ years from now like Subsistence? For me, the story, character interactions, and setting keep me coming back to it more than the sneaking/combat.
Agreed. For the same reason, when I read a book written over ten years ago or watch a film made in the dark pre-HD times, I try to skip the words and visuals respectively, because I'm also insane.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sylink posted:

Kojima makes good games but I'm not sure why he would be a hot item, I dont think MGSV has broke even? His games seem to be high budget and low return.
MGS is huge. The budget for V was ridiculously high but it's done really well so it'll probably make a comfortable profit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

The fact that even during the time of Peace Walker Zero had basically lost control of the organisation helps a lot with the disconnect between the goofy old guy from MGS3 and all the poo poo that Cipher/Patriots get up to in the future.
yeah I really couldn't see how they were going to pull that off and they did. The VA really sold it - I figured Zero would have lost control of the organisation somehow but I didn't expect the great level of pathos.

The fact that Zero just wanted to bury the hatchet, but because of the crazy Hungarian man, Big Boss went to his grave thinking Zero hated him, and that that whole misunderstanding is what doomed the world to the crazy future of the Patriots and Big Boss’ legacy… poor Zero.

Someone pointed out (in this thread?) that maybe the Words That Kill are the ones we never get to say

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

There were people who seriously thought Peace Walker would be about 4 Big Boss clones. That answers that question.
uh, what? why

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I did think Quiet was kinda creepy at first, what with that humming and with her pointing that laser beam in your direction.

You'd think at least a couple dudes would be like "drat son, that weirdo lady has some bomb rear end titties though" but then again, she did totally shove a knife down a guy's mouth so I'd be pretty wary of her after that.
she did it in a sexy way. she sexily strangled Venom in the prologue and he fell in love with her, and so did I.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

diamond dog posted:

I doubt she's navajo because I'm 90% sure she's Paz with boobs and vamp nanites. That's why Kaz was all KILL HER SHE'S WITH CIPHER! before they even interrogated her. The game even gives you a Paz humming tape for no reason besides presumably to 'prove' they're different people. And she's Ishmael.

She's also the nurse who sees you wake up (that distinctive SJ eyebrow acting), placed there by Zero. He talks to her on the "Zero visits Snake" tape: the game disguises her voice but when he tells someone to leave you can tell it's male footsteps that leave (ie the doctor, not the nurse). Meanwhile when Ishmael is in the parking lot scoring an ambulance, it sounds like he's wearing heels. Ishmael takes a lot of abuse because you both already have nanomachines: you actually see this in third person when the helicopter kills a nurse and the patient she's assisting at the window. The two of you were in the same position at the same window earlier and you get a low health warning for no reason. (People have pointed out how you seem to teleport around the hospital's floor plan; you're seeing a real fractured version of reality. Also on the Zero/Snake tape you can hear sci-fi doors that don't really match the hospital but fit motherbase, and the weird red fire alarm things on the walls are the same as those in the "QUARANTIN" facility. So basically the whole game is an onion of bullshit)

After you have an accurate flashback of the ground zeroes incident (it's the only time in the game where you see a green starboard light, also the longest depiction you ever see, I'm talking about the one where the explosion is from an RPG), the "game" is forced to produce a bunch of fake Paz Diary tapes that eventually tell you you're crazy for thinking she's alive. One big difference between these tapes and the PW/GZ version is they don't mention the deep dive training she received for her mission and used to fake her death in nearly this exact way just a couple months earlier. There was no second bomb, that's dumb; they had to put organs on ice in order to fit the first one.

Pequod is the pilot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

imo it was saved by the fact that the Pain's power was looked at and declared too ridiculous to ever understand

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you're developing schizophrenia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

diamond dog posted:

Huey might also be a special case but if those other guys speak English scratch that idea I guess. I wasn't paying attention on my playthrough, a friend only suggested this theory recently.
the guy you rescue in mission uh 27 I think (the one who can crash the truck if you're not quick enough) speaks to you in English

• Locked thread