Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All known confirmed spoilers, via the guide, to date.
None of these are tagged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3hxof1/leak_megathread_refresh_2_any_unofficially/cubipkz

e: fixed confusing wording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Momomo posted:

It sounds like that guide uses a lot of speculation and hinting for some reason? Why would an official guide do that if it's supposed to be spoiler free, that's really odd.

The walkthrough is written to avoid major spoilers where possible, the Ishmael thing where the speculation is coming from is headed up with a disclaimer saying

"Konami said we're not allowed to reveal the actual truth here."

But what they really mean is "We're not allowed to reveal it, but these are the clues that explain something very very specific written in a manner where there's only one logical outcome that we're using vague language for because we're not allowed to say "Venom Snake is not Big Boss", but we can say "Venom Snake probably isn't Big Boss, here's why in great detail".

The Ishmael page is in a section of that guide that has clear spoiler warnings too at the start of it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

there was a video that konami have take down, of a dude flipping through the guide and the page someone translated with all the ahab venom big boss stuff was no where to be seen.

He uploaded another video later that shows that it was in the guide and the konami takedown only compounds and should shatter any doubt.

It's worth bearing in mind that we know absolutely nothing about how it all works out really and even if it sounds crap on paper (I actually like the sound of it), it could work super well in proper story telling.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm actually glad that Venom Snake isn't the real Big Boss. The Metal Gear series always built Big Boss up as this genetically perfect superman and then the actual Big Boss games show that he's only a well trained soldier with a larger than life image thrust upon him.

I always felt like The Boss sort of threw their final fight anyway considering that her death was part of the operation.

No actual evidence for that, it just sort of "reads" that way to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I thought that effect went away towards the end of the game as Snake gets used to his eyesight? Shouldn't that effect be gone at this time?

It wouldn't ever go and you can emulate it yourself by closing your eye. It's just simulating him having a blind spot due to an eye not working, and obviously, his eye never started working again. It's generally not been in the following games, but that's probably because it'd be annoying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The guidebook words it in a way that is the epitome of "I can't confirm anything, *wink wink*, but here's what I think happened."

That section of the guide is opens with a spoiler warning too, so why not discuss it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like the idea of the ending but a lot depends on execution, something very few of people have seen.

Laughing at people going full anger. "This is a betrayal!" or other nonsense though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A full text dump from the game has leaked, thanks to /mgg/.
The GAF spoilers are all true.

It sounds very interesting with how it plays out though and with greater context.

The medic is Venom Snake and he's specifically stated to be the best soldier that was in MSF.

Which is sort of troubling because my best soldier was female.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 28, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently, you can trivialise the Quiet boss on any difficulty by tagging her and then requesting a supply drop on her head. Each one does 50% stamina damage.

Mother Base co-op is strong!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no way that a true ending would be patched in.

There's so much denial going on that it's unreal. It was never in doubt since the first pictures of the guide leaked.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want BB to rest his arm on my shoulder and give the thumbs up.
I could die happy then, even if I got in a crash and had my arm cut off.

That's a sweet Kevin Nash avatar too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Got my guide in.

Quiet does leave forever even after the story.

You can stop it by getting the Butterfly rank (have Quiet deal with most people for you) and then equipping that emblem unlock on your personal emblem. This locks her story progression.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really mind the story content so much. It's okay, the tapes make it better than just the cutscenes do. I do mind how it's all so disconnected and generally presented without context.

There's no real reasoning for why Venom learns the truth, you're just given mission 46. The Eli cliffhanger is obviously a huge stain on the story.

It's a good thing that game is just that drat good to make up for all of the flaws in the story presentation. I guess making a traditional MGS style story in the confines of an open world is just expecting too much though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

randombattle posted:

Though Huey is a butt DD is not a wolf.

I love it, but in the entire history of Metal Gear, an encyclopedia of silly things people say, Huey sperging out about DD being a wolf even though they call him a dog is possibly my favourite.

Who gives a gently caress? DD is amazing. gently caress you Huey.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They should have probably let you kill child soldiers, but at a significant heroism cost or something. Drive the lovely people theme home.

That said, the only time I did it at all was when I accidentally left the Sinful Butterfly on Quiet and told her to fire without reading. The kiddo never stood a chance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wanted Ocelot to deflect a round off one of the strut supports right into that poo poo wipe's food supply.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VarXX posted:

Yea, That cutscene is in the game, and theres more we haven't found apparently
https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/642887363677454337 Actual Konami Person

What cutscene was this talking about? Both links are now dead but it appears related to disarming a nuke? I've done that (I've 100%'d the game so I've done basically everything) but I saw nothing after it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah they are taking them down. Note they left up the mission 51 stuff but the not cut monologue and this disarmament scene getting pulled means they are trying to save it for some event. Apparantly kojipro are still working till the end of the year so maybe we'll get this chapter 3 after all and this cutscene is part of some online event/peace day thing. They made a big deal of peace day in peace walker and it would fit. Hope beyond hope, the ride never ends!

It's a pretty big thing to the Paz tapes too, so maybe.

How strange though.
I don't like it when things are super hidden and obtuse about getting them. If it's hard to get, fine, but being obtuse about it is annoying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the deal with Kaz's eyes is that his eyesight's just a little hosed, rather than fully blind. He can clearly see, but maybe he just sees poorly now.

I'm really surprised that there's no tape/talk confirming when exactly Kaz lost his arm and leg. Soviet torture or Heli crash?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not getting to see Hal loving his second wife and Huey drown himself like the worthless piece of poo poo he is will haunt me till the rest of my days.

We should be allowed to kill him for insulting Commander of the 1st battalion of Animal Forces Diamond "DD" Dog.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ocelot: "This isn't the last we'll hear of this."

Is the last you hear of it.

Unless you count the credits namedropping Eli's kingdom of the flies which has no context in the game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The story in MGSV is pretty poo poo but the presentation is the biggest issue by far. It doesn't work in episodes, it just makes things have no context.

paint dry posted:

Edit: Big Boss and Venom Snake magically come out of their comas at exactly the same time? What?

VS was being kept in his coma medically to a degree. They tell Big Boss that "they'll have to wake him up". It was important that he didn't rouse before Big Boss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The bridges between struts on Mother Base all feel needlessly long.
I bet it actually has something to do with loading but even though Mother Base is barren as hell really, I think it would feel less so if it were actually tightly packed.

e: like PW's mother base.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't even remember if I got a scrolling text message for disarming my nuke.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solidus is generally forgotten about for certain, but he wasn't part of the same batch as David and Eli so it makes enough sense that people who know about David and Eli wouldn't know about Solidus (I guess he's George?)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

So is there a point to Quiet's behavior or is she just a weirdo?

She wants to see how Big the Big in Big Boss is.
She wants to Peace his Walker.
She wants the see the Gun of the Patriot.
She wants to be the Snake Eater.
She wants to show the Twins to Snake.

I don't think there's a good sex euphemism joke for Sons of Liberty, but she wants to bang him.

Rirse posted:

I think the biggest hint that you are not playing the real Big Boss is how he suddenly stopped using his favorite cigars to using the e-cig variant.

There's a line about why Big Boss doesn't smoke E-Cigs in Peace Walker too and people picked up on it quickly. Venom does like the real thing though, the Quiet lighting his cigar is her part of the birthday scene.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The intro of the game says Outer Heaven, though the gear is branded Diamond Dogs and Venom calls DD's Mother Base Outer Heaven at times.

I'd guess that it's meant to be shortly before MG1, but there's nothing in the game that substantiates it in either way outside the intro subtitle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The tape that he is playing is labeled with the name of the mission from MG1.

Yeah, but he turns it over and puts it into an MSX.

As much as that gives some context, it's as easy to see it as a "go play MG1" or "MG1 is next" kind of nod. It's all neat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chippita posted:

Something neat I noticed: They used the whole "goes colorblind and can't tell the difference in red and white" right in the hospital scene after Man on Fire ruins the soldiers execution of you.

Also we never see what Intrude tape gets played. We see "Intrude N31#". It could very well be N312, which was the first attempt on Outer Heaven. By Frank Jaeger.

The twitter mentioned yellow lines in cut scenes, which can either be the shrapnel in Venom's brain, or are we playing a VR simulator?

The fact snake does have a reflex mode is also very suspect, considering that is literally Gray Fox's shtick if he wants to survive with a sword.

I'm almost certain that the N313 is confirmed in a key item description.

The game describes reflex as if being looked at by a camera that shoots in high fps. (like a real life slo-mo camera). Interesting if nothing else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Jim Sterling compares Kojima to Michael Bay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-FhExTY9M

Why do people actually listen to this guy in the year of Big Boss 2015?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It sucks that he takes down the pictures of Quiet though. I know V's a cold guy and all of that, but Quiet was cool and she looks like Quiet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I felt ashamed of my words and deeds when I let the naked girl who wanted to bang Venom go away and die alone, in agony and wishing she could have told Venom she wanted to bang him in person.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a cop posted:

I'll never lose quiet..she will stay with me forever.

I won't scatter your tits to the heartless sand... I will always be with you.
*rubs bra on face*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why didn't we get a chance to ogle the handsome as gently caress Fox Engine MGS3 Volgin?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a mod for PC players to bring her back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There just needed to be more to connect the threads in chapter 2.

We go from Quiet to being entirely selfless to tortured and it makes enough sense in the end, but why isn't there a scene saying precisely why they're going to do it? Why isn't there a scene of the kids escaping? Why don't we see Huey skulking around the quarantine deck? Why doesn't Skull Face ask who else has such lust for other things? Why isn't there any buildup or any real reaction to mission 46. Like Venom going a bit crazy and not seeing things straight or being generally confused by things.

That leak before hand where they said we go back to re-do ground zeroes as it really happened was a better idea for the reveal. Frame it as Venom demanding to know the whole truth about the crash when his psychotherapy slips and he figures out that he's not BB or something. Why are XOF still active? Why exactly is Volgin moving around, tell us in a cutscene instead. Flesh out Tretij Rebenok much, much more. Actually have someone say his drat name in the game even.

Sally Anne Thropus going AWOL is such a glaring omission that it's not worth mentioning.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do you need a toggle for some part of subsist? Cant you toss on olive drab and just get dropped off with nothing?

You can't go without a hip weapon. The closes you can get is the rank 1 AK.

I think the same is true for the pistol slot but I never tried it.
I hope someone mods in a subsistence version for everything as long as it doesn't make the mission uncompleteable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think Subsist also changes enemy layouts slightly so they have equipment you can use to finish missions.

There is. They explain it in the scene she's tortured in. After she got injured they were doing medical treatment on her and found the same flowers from Boss's hospital room in her lungs.

No, I get that, it's why I said it makes sense in the end, there just should have been a scene where Kaz and Ocelot see this and put two and two together first and ask Snake if he remembers it. You could tie that into the reveal too, have him misremember things or things he shouldn't. It's just weird to go from saving the necklace to torture when there should be a step to contextualise properly there.

Give her the scans>Find the petals, ask Boss what to do next>Torture her.

And like, sure, the Huey thing in the tapes makes sense too, but it's like it's missing a step or two. They can show him fitting the gear and being cagey and then provide us with him lying later on.

Chapter 1 isn't teeming with story but we do see some that sheds light. The Quiet stabbing that guys teeth scene is a good example of it. Chapter 2 needed more scenes like that where they lead into something, rather than eyes on Kazuhira which is a total throwaway scene.

I guess the only thing to take away from eyes on Kazuhira is that Code Talker having the same parasite Quiet has is probably how he gets on the tower on the command platform with his wheelchair that you can see when you fly off base.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the only plot thing I havent had cleared up is: why are kid mantis and XOF fighting at the hospital? They're definitely both working for skull face at that point.

You can see who's in control of him at any given point by how he looks. He has fire hands when Volgin is, a horn when Venom is (you see this before the fire whale), his eyes are kind of darkened and visible when skully is and he has a red beret when Eli is. I imagine that Volgin being so mad means he's forcing Mantis to kill dudes who are actually on his side? That or perhaps he links up with XOF immediately after that when Skully sees that poo poo and wants in?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 14, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The haircut thing did absolute wonders for Tatyana.

Silly girl should have realised Ocelots are super good at smelling motorcycle fuel.
If she had, she'd have been home free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite game budget thing is that Dragon's Crown cost $1,000,000 and it was Vanillaware's most expensive game by a margin at the time.

• Locked thread