Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What wrong with being on your smart phone all day? You can get lots of knowledge & laffs from the 3g internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Clipperton posted:

you would think that but in my experience it is not true. like when i started working my bosses were boomers who were very very easily impressed by things like pivot tables and powerpoint animations

so of course i figured that when i got old all the new hires would be even more comfortable with computers and would blow me out of the water in the same way

except it's not happening. if anything they're worse & more afraid to try new things than the boomers were
This is probably because the majority of them have reverted to viewing technology as magical black boxes, thanks to the infantile user interfaces in Macs and iPhone.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
FYI every generation thinks their parents hosed up and the world is going to end, it's a product of your ego trying to make your own existence significant by virtue of living through historic times. Probably Ook the caveman thought the same thing about his dad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Old cavemen grumbling about the kids and their firepits.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

Names proposed include: the TwoKays or 2K's (born after 2000), the Conflict Generation (the generation that grew up during the time of the Iraq War and War in Afghanistan), Generation i (or iGeners and iGens), @generation, the Swipe Generation, the Tweennials, and Screeners.

lol

tweenials is good--perfectly demeaning i like it

It's too soon to really know what's going to define them, probably by 2019-2022 well have a good name picked out. Though it would be hilarious if they end up with a gay silicon valley name like "the disruptive generation".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Millennials sure love to look at themselves. Pretty healthy self image at least.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad my parents took a lot of family photos during vacations, it's nice to go back and relive the memories. Otherwise you may as well just read a photojournal of the place. Please don't confuse this post with a condoning of some idiot taking a selfie of his ugly mug in front of some event or location.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

if you don't like selfies don't look at them

If you don't like criticism don't listen to it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A misanthrope posted:

superman you millennial gently caress

Lol supes flexing so hard hes probably about to burst an oring

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

'87 is late gen-x okay i don't wanna be a millennial

Yeah 7 years late, chump. You had a cellphone and AIM in high school, you're a millennial like the rest of us.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The gay thing about that wall isn't the lyrics, it's just that it's one of those fancy rear end "infographic" JPGs in real life. These drat millebnials are too entitled to even read facts, it has to be dressed up in pretty fonts and flowing diagrams for them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

VendaGoat posted:

Legit, what is with this poo poo? Like, I understand in a formal setting, but dressing your boyfriend to see his friends?

The gently caress is that about?

Ladies like to play dress up, some of them are also crazy control freaks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Baracula posted:

heh, im a balding 30something and im better than young people

*has 15 year old something awful account*

That's also a millenial though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWyngz posted:

The guy who wants to quit his job and become an artist/musician/game Dev in e/n is pretty millennial :cripes:

Everybody in gbs is pretty millennial, except maybe for genesplicer and other Olds

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blarzgh posted:

I'm 31.

I'd like to see the bell curve of posters' ages, particularly by sub-forum.

31 is probably exactly the average age.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A misanthrope posted:

how old is too old

Old enough to know better.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Baracula posted:

the ranks of isis are largely millennials. takbir

Only westerners can be millennials, it's a cultural category.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Baracula posted:

half of Isis is hosed up white bois and kids of immigrants anyway

Obviously they weren't integrated into western society and are simply showing their true colors.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lol and I bet that the edge of a NERV logo on his cap

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mrs. Cyrus' outfit courtesy of Final Fantasy

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Deranged M posted:

I always wondered why do employees accept to do these sort of photos and things.Do they force them or they actually think it's cool? I've never worked for a cool/hip/startup company so I really don't know.

When my boss asked me to pose for photos for the new company website I gladly accepted it because it meant eating up an hour of the day that wasn't going to be an interminable meeting or pretending to work at my desk.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

This is terrible.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Basically it starts when the kids who really grew up with the internet were born, so sometime early 80s. Though there is a big distinction between the kids who grew up with AOL instant messenger and GeoCities, and the kids who grew up with Facebook and Twitter (as in the latter group turned into a bunch of spineless pussies who bend over backwards to accept every type of pervert and malefactor under the sun into the mainstream).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Analytic Engine posted:

The Last Pyschiatrist wrote lots of good stuff on millenials, narcissism, and class tensions:

Hipsters on Food Stamps, Part 2

Holy poo poo that is the longest sustained whine I've ever read.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I was born in 84 and I'm definitely a millennial and so are you

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Giblet Plus! posted:

Dude pretty much the same story down to the K6-2.

My computer at the end of high school:

Daaaaaamn bro how much gash did you crush with that sweet rig?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I declared an art major my freshman year and my parents all but called me stupid and hounded me to switch to a practical study instead, so not all millennials parents are bad. And now I can still draw and paint as a hobby so it's all good.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
With the benefit of hindsight, I think i would have been a lot better off if I took 2-3 after high school to do the immature independent teen thing (part time work, partying all night, lovely apartments) and then go to school with a little more life experience and responsibility.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

black hipsters annoy me because they don't think they are gentrifiers when they move into poor areas of brooklyn.

They're doing God's work

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't get more millennial. Jpg than zen pencils. That fag drew a comic where Hiyao Miyazaki built a giant robot to kill all the trolls that made fun of him.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
"ART", painted on the moon, using liquefied hate. Idgi.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
BTW that was like a 2 or 3 part mental masturbation series.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine if The Oatmeal and those "inspirational" jpgs people post in Facebook had a baby, and that baby was dunked in a vat of fail AIDS jizz. That's kind of what Zen Pencils is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

i'm a millenial and just found out that the law firm for whom i worked this summer made me a permanent offer of employment upon graduation. this time next year, i'll be making $160,000k + bonuses.

suck it, gen-xer haters. suck it hipsters. go gently caress yourselves, SWJs.

Wow $160 million, I didn't know junior attorneys could pull that kind of bank right out of school.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Runaktla posted:

Nice work...

... but this.

I got a nagging suspicion that big law firms hire people from nice schools not just for: (a) alum/devotion to the school; or (b) skill/hard work; but (c) you got severe student loan debt if you went to a nice school and you have to work like a slave.

I went to a poo poo school, barely any loan debt, but was a paralegal for a long time and already had connections so big junior associate slave-hiring firms could go gently caress off.

I have lots of lawyer friends in their late 20's/their 30's that thought law degree = guaranteed pussy. Law degree = pussy that wants you to settle down with, and it can often be a hot girl, but she'll want babies/marriage you will be a slave to the firm, she'll be happy you have money but give you poo poo for not spending more time with the family; she'll take away your manhood and your youth. She'll also get fat.

idk rambling here as a 7 yr lawyer & 7 yr paralegal, just don't fall into that honey pot. I've avoided marriage/kids cause I know what it leads to and people who becomes lawyers, who are smart in a test taking way, are really dumb (need to learn how to not get used).

Also lawyers talk about work too much. Don't do that.

As a lawyer, how accurate are Grisham novels re law and life as a lawyer?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

i can't imagine walking down the streets of new york looking like this.

sure, once you get to the party, you fit in just fine, but it's a long hike through bushwick to get there.

That's what cloaks are for!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

i wish people got their rear end kicked for poo poo like this

Hmm on the one hand I see your point, but on the other hand I don't support this position because as a beta I would be getting my rear end kicked on the reg in this hypothetical casual violence permissive society.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

This could easily be any young girl 10 or even 20 years ago though, nothing really strikes me as "now" about it. Notice especially the lack of any stupid Mack le moure hair.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

We've reached a null point in youth culture where anything from the last 20 years is like "eh sure"

We have? I remember 15 years ago in high school it wasn't rare to see kids in Zeppelin or Floyd band Tees. Same thing going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

VendaGoat posted:

What are yah saying little man? You don't like the Zep?

It was super loving cool, when I was like 15.

• Locked thread