Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

He's gone from banal to 'you plebs just won't listen' in typical liberal fashion. How dare we refer to blatant distortion and misrepresentations of things said by Corbyn as 'smears'?

That (I presume) Private Eye spread is brilliant.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Junior G-man posted:

Should've had Monster Munch then.

*the door to Crisp Chat creaks open*

Obligatory tortilla chip supremacy post.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'm started to wish my parents didn't retire. They have nothing to do so all they do is watch the news all day, form poo poo opinions and then email them to me all loving day long, while I'm busy trying to work a job and have a life

I can barely delete their crap fast enough

If your parents haven't retired yet heed this warning

:smith::respek::smith:

Well, just my dad, my mum is neither retired nor a possessor of lovely opinions.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Barry Foster posted:

I'm not saying I'm psychic, just inferring it, but I've got a weird feeling of dread about this whole thing, and the last time that happened was the GE. So I'm expecting the worst

Yeah, I've got the same feeling. Triangulatory Cooper who can't comment on anything will get it, and the Blairites will raise their bloodied mouths to the sky to howl in favour of the sensible party of government.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Phoneposting, but Rafael Behr wringing his hands in the Guardian this morning about being liberal, but approving of drone assassinations because sometimes these things are necessary, but couldn't we just wish there was a more liberal waaaay?

Pillock.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Trickjaw posted:

Well, a BA plane in Vegas has caught ahad.

Ahad? All helicopters are dangerous?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Oberleutnant posted:

I've reluctantly reached the unavoidable conclusion that Monster Munch are trash as there's only like 5 of them in each bag.

Welcome to the truth. Monster Munch are not Correct. Tortilla chips are Correct.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Trickjaw posted:

D day today, lads and lasses. Three hours until voting closes, so the rigging must be ramping up.

And all the usual voices are making their last desperate hit-pieces. I've just seen this in politics.co.uk, and found it interesting when checking out the 'senior frontbencher'.

politics.co.uk posted:

Labour warned of electoral wipeout under Jeremy Corbyn

The Labour party will face "dire consequences" and lose "hundreds of councillors" if Jeremy Corbyn is elected, a senior frontbencher warned last night.

The shadow transport secretary and vice-chair of the Labour party, Michael Dugher, told a meeting in Westminster that his party would face an electoral wipeout if Corbyn becomes leader on Saturday.

He also warned that Corbyn's election would put the jobs of many council workers at risk.

"There will be dire consequences for Labour beginning next May. I think we will lose hundreds of councillors next May. I think if you are a local government worker in some of those councils where you have had a good Labour council trying to protect jobs, if that council becomes a Tory council there's a better chance you're going to lose your job.

"There are real consequences that are far more urgent than 2020."

Asked by Politics.co.uk what Corbyn needed to do in order to become prime minister, Dugher replied that there were "not enough hours in the day to begin that conversation."

"I will be polite and say I think it will it will be extremely difficult for Jeremy Corbyn to win a general election."

Dugher who is Andy Burnham's campaign manager, suggested the party were already suffering in the polls due to Corbyn's success.

"Think how down some of us felt on the 8th of May, but have you seen our [polling] numbers recently? There are huge warnings for us."

Dugher said his party appeared to be losing even a "vague interest in winning general elections" and was in danger of becoming a "protest movement" rather than a viable governing party.

"I did a party meeting in one constituency… In my naivety I had mentioned the vague possibility of winning a general election and it was not universally well received.

"The biggest cheer of the night went to one woman at the front. She said 'all this talk of winning. We're not here to choose a candidate to be prime minister. We're here to choose a candidate for the leader of the opposition.' And I suddenly thought: 'I'm on a completely different page'. It was quite illuminating."

Dugher's warnings were reiterated by another senior party this figure this morning.

Jon Cruddas (associated with the Blue Labour movement), who has led a review into the party's defeat last May, said the party risked electoral "collapse" under Corbyn.

"I'm worried about it," he told the Today Programme.

"I'm worried it might turn into an early 80s Trotskyite tribute act which has a culture around it which is very hostile to anyone who disagrees. And it could just collapse in front of the electorate. It could do.

"But I don't think there is any safe ground for Labour anyway. So this is one strategy. It might not work. We'll see."

Jeremy Corbyn will tonight hold his final rally before Labour's next leader is announced on Saturday.

Bookies are currently offering a more than 80% chance of Corbyn winning the leadership but are much more doubtful of his chances of winning in 2020.

"If he wins on Saturday I expect we'll offer 8/1 on him ever becoming prime minister," the head of political odds at Ladbrokes, Matthew Shaddick, said last night.

"That's combined with two things. First we don't think he will make it as far as a general election and secondly for reasons Michael alluded to [earlier] it's going to be hard for him to win a majority [or] to get into Downing Street."

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2015/09/10/labour-warned-of-electoral-wipeout-under-jeremy-corbyn

On Michael Dugher, according to Wikipedia: -

Wikipedia posted:

Born and raised in Edlington, South Yorkshire, he went to school in the village and in Doncaster and read Politics at the University of Nottingham. Prior to his election, he worked at 10 Downing Street as the Chief Political Spokesman for Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

A party insider, he also worked as an advisor to the Department of Transport, Local Government and Regional Affairs and Ministry of Defence; as well as to the Leader of the House of Commons and the Government Chief Whip. He was formerly the Head of Policy of the trade union, AEEU.

He has served as a lobbyist for EDS.

Dugher was a Shadow Minister of Defence before becoming the Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition. In 2011 he was promoted to Ed Miliband's Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Minister without Portfolio, a role where he could roam across portfolios and co-ordinate shadow ministers' attacks on the government. In the October 2013 Reshuffle he became Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office. and in November 2014 was appointed Shadow Secretary of State for Transport replacing Mary Creagh.

Dugher held the post of Vice-Chair of Labour Friends of Israel.

As Shadow Secretary of State for Transport, Dugher told the New Statesman that he wanted to see "more public control of the railways" under a Labour government.

Voting record: -

Michael Dugher never rebelled against their party in this parliament

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

TinTower posted:

Guess who:

Bet it's Dan Hodges. 'He needs a drone strike, not a new Labour leader'.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

a pipe smoking dog posted:

His quote is like the very epitome of the political class not understanding what the public want.

For me, the real story is these meetings with random foreign donors. I have a feeling this really needs to be tightened up (and subject to more scrutiny).

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I can't wait for more Blairites tears, and them encouraging people to vote for Zac, because at least he represents a Sensible Party of Government

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Just joined the party.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
John Rentoul seems to be having a meltdown on Twitter.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The media coverage at the moment is completely unhinged, and there are so many journalists on Twitter being either a) passive aggressive, b) going on about how loving stupid and fickle the public are, c) claiming that, for example, the large mandate JC got is tiny and insignificant, but that there was even less of one for the other three candidates is completely irrelevant, or in some cases, d) all of the above. I've never seen such unified frustration before, it's bizarre.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The media coverage is phenomenally awful - if ever there were an argument for much tighter press regulation, this would make an excellent case study.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I love how the discussion in the press has gone from 'less than 24 hours to break his promise about gender parity in the shadow cabinet, what a typical politician!' to 'gender parity but men got all the good jobs, what a typical politician!' in the space of a few measly hours.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Corbyn is now in the House of Commons, and he's wearing a tie. Cue Guardian 'CORBYN BETRAYS TIE NON-WEARERS IN SHAMEFUL CLIMBDOWN' any moment now.

Edit: beaten by forkboy84

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

freebooter posted:

Is there an online overseas feed for BBC Parliament? Not for now so much, but I want it for PMQs

Are you able to access it here? It's the HofC livefeed: - http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/f4d49761-80f2-4dc5-ad59-6303af06df70

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Autonomous Monster posted:

Tuned in just in time to see Sajid Javid try to spin the union bill as pro-worker. :catstare:

"Think of the poor self-employed construction worker (WHO GETS ON) who can't work because teachers are striking and he has to stay with his kids (because teaching is nothing more than glorified loving babysitting)."

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

forkboy84 posted:

It's an utterly terrifying act of spin. How can these people get away with trying to take Labour laws back to the 19th century?

I want McDonnell to stand up and verbally eviscerate him...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Argh, I hate these fuckwits...

"This protects the rights of hard working people!"

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Venmoch posted:

"YouGov says that Londoners voted for these new laws"

But Londoners are a bunch of moany wankers who get visibly angry when the bus passes them because its too full.

And then blame the people on the buses, rather than the company that cuts services to increase profits.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
"Why is the public sector poo poo"

"Because public sector workers are scum"

"Aren't you an MP"

"I'm a hardworking entrepreneur that gets on (the expenses)"

loving armbands. Christ. What will the symbol for trade unionists be? A five pointed loving star?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Phoon posted:

This TU bill is loving tyrannical and the guardian frontpage is still primarily about the number of women in the shadow cabinet

I'm sorry you're sexist and don't see the fact that Corbyn has an all-male shadow cabinet (apart from a few women chucked into poo poo positions) isn't more important than legislation seeking to further restrict worker rights. :smug:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hahahahaha, "how dare people who have experience with trade unions be allowed to talk about this bill about regulating trade unions". loving prick.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Smackdown by Angela Eagle.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

forkboy84 posted:

Clive Lewis is pretty good, isn't he?

Not bad at all. Who was the red-tied Labour MP speaking a bit before him?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Prince John posted:

Don't you know, it's because Grauniad readers are aspirational hard working people who just want to Get On (the tube).

We support the right to protest (so long as you don't inconvenience me personally).

Also: we like to talk about inequality, but please don't do anything about it.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This is brilliant, and what Labour should have been doing for the past five years.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hahaha, I like her sense of humour.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
It's a shame the Guardian is hideously sexist and hasn't commented at all on the new First Secretary of State's appearance in the House of Commons or the Trade Union Bill. But somewhere, there's a rumour that Corbyn once said no comment to a journalist.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Still no comments from the Guardian on the Trade Union Bill, but Andrew Sparrow dutifully reporting on members of shadow cabinet briefing against Corbyn.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
So in the media today everyone whining about the national anthem and how not singing DISRESPECTS ARE BOYS, and the shadow minister for equality disagreeing in public with Corbyn about the benefits cap, saying the Labour Party supports it in principle. Any hope I had for te Labpur Party is pretty much gone.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Cameron being civil, I think he's going to be leaving the nastiness to the press.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Phone posting but Rifkind and Straw have been cleared of the accusations of misconduct regarding the Telgraph sting.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Why is it that everyone that self identifies as 'liberal' have the same smug photo?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

If you didn't HATE FREEDOM you would look like that too.

Alas, I am not enlightened by my own self-righteousness intelligence, and so am not quite that euphoric.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Baron Corbyn posted:

A sorta awkward apology on The Guardian about its treatment of Corbyn.

EDIT: they've changed the headline from "Our treatment of Corbyn failed our readers"

Technically from the Observer than the Guardian, which has different editorial lines, but worth it for this: -

Ed Vulliamy posted:

Of course the rest of the media were in on the offensive. Our sister paper the Guardian had endorsed a candidate who lost, humiliated; the Tory press barons performed to script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
what the gently caress is going on???

• Locked thread