Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Late to music chat but:

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Going off what I've heard from the phone games, I'm tempted to say that CG music comes off as a lot more gimmicky. Perhaps that's a bit disparaging? My point is that a a good number of them don't feel like music to me. It throws me off at times. There's one song that I've encountered during the Groove that barely appears to have a tune, and the singer is singing so softly that it feels more like reciting poetry than singing.
I agree that CG music is very gimmicky but that's really a result of how the entire CG music project start off as. CG was originally a collectible card game and then they decided to give these girls voice actors and a single to go along with them. Since each character only gets one song they tried to cram as much personality and uniqueness into the song which is fine since it is a character song after all.

My opinion on this style is that it's very hit or miss. The songs have a lot of personality but as you mentioned sometimes this comes at the expense of the quality of the song itself. In fact, I find a lot of these character songs pretty "meh" but there are gems in there like Nana's Marchen Debut or Miria's Romanic Now.

More recently and with the anime, the CG project has grown to add more group songs which are a lot more enjoyable overall since they're a lot less gimmicky. Though to be honest I've kind of lost interest in following the CG music scene.

quote:

Which brings me to my second and last (for now) point - I personally feel like the iM@S (both OG and CG) are about the characters themselves. Which isn't to say that LL doesn't (I'm pretty sure Niko and Rin both have songs that play with their names), but for the most part LL keep the characters and their songs separate. It's also always the same 9 girls - LL has a smaller cast than iM@S, which I believe plays a factor. We had this talk while I was going through iM@S, but a lot of the girls really don't get much focus. Some of the girls are just forgotten after their solo episodes. They lack presence. So, to ensure that people remember these characters, who don't get much focus, their songs are packed with the characters' personalities. Too much personality, sometimes, in my opinion. This is made even more chaotic because iM@S deals with girls of all ages and personalities. So there are a lot of character songs, meaning it's a toss up between whether you'll end up enjoying any one song or not.
The thing with the original Im@s is that when it started off it was true that a lot of songs were created with a specific girl in mind. However, over the years this has become less and less the case. In fact, I would say the thing I most like about the im@s series is that most songs have multiple versions where the only difference is that it's sung by a different girl or group of girls (The World is All One has 18 different versions alone). This isn't the case in LL from what I know

Even songs that are arguably "character specific" in the anime such as Brand New Day or Little Match Girl actually fit a lot of the other characters. In games, part of the fun is finding which songs complement's an idol's voice and which idols work well with each other when singing the song together. Obliviously some songs don't work with some characters (ie: most upbeat songs and Chihaya) but that's fine since songs that try to work with everyone have their own problems. Also, I find playing to a character's strengths a good thing and the upbeat girls with the upbeat voices should be singing upbeat songs.

Overall, I like the original im@s music a lot more than CG music but to be fair, I'm a lot more invested in the characters and voices of the original cast as well. That's not to say that CG doesn't have a couple of really good gems and this is the same for me and Love Live as well. I consider Susume Tomorrow one my favorite idol songs and I also enjoy a couple other songs such as both openings and Dancing Stars on me. However, for some reason the other songs I heard in the anime didn't really grab me and I've haven't really experienced much of the music outside of the anime but of the ones I've heard, I wasn't really impressed with them either.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I find that the short version of Visionary is superior to the long version but that's just me. Same for a lot of the in game songs actually. Honey Heartbeat's full length version left a lot of be desired.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Love Live doesn't have subunits singing the songs of other subunits but they do have like... 12 to 14 solos of group songs per girl?

It differs depending on the girl, but they generally have solo versions of their subunit songs and the regular group songs. The 2nd years have the most, I think, cause Susume Tomorrow is limited to the 2nd years.

I'm a very big fan of Umi solos, especially ANONE GANBARE.
Oh, well I guess I was mistaken then. How are those solo songs released though? I just googled "Dancing Stars on Me Solo" and "Dancing Stars on Me ソロ” and nothing came up.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Oh, it looks like Dancing Stars on Me and Sore wa Bokutachi no Kiseki don't have solo versions sadly (according to Japanese yahoo answers).

Edit:Also, Susume Tomorrow not being sung by the other grades is a war crime.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
S2 episode one was a musical but dancing in traffic is episode one of S1.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Abe Nana is between the ages of 23-26. In SS she outright said she's not 27 "yet" but she's old enough to have worn bloomers and loose socks in school.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If anyone is interested, Niconico is currently streaming the Saitama 2014 Idolm@ster live stage event.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Look for a user broadcast that's mirroring the official stream. I think there's a couple right now.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The real reason is that most people have unsymmetrical faces so unsymmetrical hair styles work better in general as it doesn't draw attention to the unsymmetrical face.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 20, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm sorry but Kotori's voice has been known to melt brains. It's too late for your dog, I'm so sorry.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I only like Nico because she's poor.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zenostein posted:

See, the first one at least had a kanji for me to toss into google. I got no idea what any of those stand for. Maybe the first one is "characters"?

Now I'm just thinking about how sad little jougasaki was about dressing up like a preschooler for that tv show.
J = 女子(Female)

The second letter is an age reference:
K=高校生 (High schooler)
D=大学生(University student)
etc

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not my fault poor is moe.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Shin Sato is the other "forever 17" archetype where the person ages but they don't physically age.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, she's anime Tamura Yukari.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Skwee posted:

i think it has to do with their age/ school level. Abbreviations based on Romanized Japanese.
JY seems to be a woman who acts like a young person.

The Y in JY is probably Youchienji or Kindergartner.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Nicopedia accepts my answer so we're both probably right.

The JK spinoffs are all supposed to be comedic terms anyways.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
This new event song is basically "Come near my man and I'll cut you bitch" the song.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zenostein posted:

If i just drop a line of ws, can I play too?

because wwwwwww
Get with the times man. It's all 草 now.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That Haru Yuki card is worth like 500 energy drinks in Mobam@s.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zettace posted:

That Haru Yuki card is worth like 500 energy drinks in Mobam@s.
Whooo.

All in all, a decent pull.

I have enough for another pull but to be honest, I don't care for Sae.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That just made me notice that Elichika is a twig.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Asking someone to buy Love Live mech in person probably qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Live Groove Events are so much effort compared to the other event types, goddamn.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I did two 10 pulls and only got 2SRs. My tears, they won't stop.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They for sure need to keep the drill though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Gah, 3 SRs and 2 of them are dupes. Argh.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Polsy posted:

Starlight Stage SSR signature collection (via http://imas-cg.net/2016/05/01/48499331.html)

Never noticed the signatures were colour-coded before, not that I've seen too many of them. Also signing in Roman letters is surprisingly popular.
Anzu has the best one because it's actually a practical signature.

Ranko's is something she could never actually use unless it was a stamp or something.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Everything about Kotori is great except for her voice, especially her speaking voice.
Kotori's voice melts my brains so it's actually very good.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Skwee posted:

new gacha thing in starlight stage.
drat, why did the yen have to go up in the past few months.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I have a couple of SSRs but I don't care for any of them fml

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Polsy posted:

Can't believe it's only been 250 days, feels like at least a year

What. There's a 250 days in a row login bonus? Makes those couple of days I missed by accident all the more painful.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Polsy posted:

Can't believe it's been 510 days already. Or more importantly, that they have unique 30-second voice clips for every 30 days and they're still going.

I'll keep you posted
Million Live is so passive aggressive. I made an account to just see how it was and forgot about it. Then a couple months later when I relogged in again it was like "Welcome back from your business trip! It sure was a long one!".

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Christmas Cake posted:

Oh god, that reminds me of when I was moving and had to take a break for a couple of months halfway through Yukiho's route in iM@S2. Came back to some unfortunate messages.
Huh? I don't remember that game having consequences for going on a hiatus. If you load up the game after a while you should just return to where you last saved.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Whoo, a ton of free gems.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I know Evangelion characters were named after Japanese WWII ships but that's the first I've heard it was a influence on 765 names.

Edit: Apparently it's true. The director said in an interview that he was bad at making names so the first couple of the original cast have ship names on purpose.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 26, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

7 6 5
NA MU CO
8 7 6

BAN NA MU (Bandai-Namco)

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
What's Million Live's Production name anyways.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
What a bad translation. It was an obvious Aikatsu reference.

Zenostein posted:

What the gently caress. Just goes to show you can't trust someone playing a psp in in what i certainly hope is a ship of some sort
She's in a tank on top of an aircraft carrier so you're kind of right :v:

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Medley's are the worst event type and there are many, many reasons why.