Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Its cool that the only good poo poo is apparently done by women. Dungeon Meshi, as you claim, Dorohedoro, the first half of Deadman Wonderland

Fullmetal Alchemist and Silver Spoon! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Marsilla is without a doubt the second best thing about this manga. The best best is obviously Fluffy-Senshi, of course. :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This comic is gonna end with Laius eating his partymembers, isn't it? :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mygna posted:

Here's a four page special of Dungeon Meshi in which the party explores the most dangerous dungeon of all.

Perfect. :allears:

Incidentally, has anyone thought of starting a D&D game based on this setting? I'm totally in love with the dungeon in this, and think it'd be a really fun adventure. There'd have to be special rules to account for edible monsters, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Just look through the Monster Manual and add some kind of modifier to every monster if prepared and eaten!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That latest chapter of Dungeon Meshi was so fantastic. I hope it gets a US release soon, I totally wanna buy it!

Nina-san's Magic Life is a manga about an apprentice going to study with a magical witch in the woods, and it is quite magical.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

New Delicious Dungeon!

In which we go outside the dungeon to the outer world, and learn some LORE. Yay!

Kiki (or was it Kaka?) -- the female twin -- is kinda nice! I've always liked these sort of calm, narrow-eyed characters. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mikl posted:

What I got from this chapter: loving elves ruin everything, as they always do :argh:

And the dwarves, always delving too greedily and too deep, had nothing to do with it all. :rolleyes:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm trying to find a manga where a character selects all the worst traits and skills and somehow manages to make it as a viable adventurer. I think I clicked on a link here or in some other thread, but I totally can't remember the title.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dungeon Meshi - I remember well-planned encounters that end up a lot like this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm still waiting on someone to write up an adventure module for this so I can do it with my D&D group!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Compendium posted:

I read that, I liked it.

It had a whole thread at the time, too. It's pretty great, I think the author had spent some time in America as an exchange student or something and was writing it partially for the benefit of other would-be Japanese exchange students or people learning English. The guy really understood what high school in America is like!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Anyone who's ever played D&D is having extremely grim visions of rolling and failing lots of d20 ability checks except for that SINGLE ONE that the fighter rolled.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Good for you!

Incidentally, are there any other manga out there that are as clearly D&D-based as Dungeon Meshi. I heard that "Record of the Lodoss War" was basically a retelling of someone's D&D campaign, should I check that out if I liked Dungeon Meshi?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jackard posted:

Haven't gotten that far but sounds unsurprising, life has been too easy for this protagonist

Something about LN writing in general (their attitude and manner of speaking) is sort of obnoxious. It must be a Japanese thing.

Well, I mean, they're mostly written by nerds as a nerd power fantasy, so yeah. Did you ever read (or read about) Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? It's basically the same kind of smug fanfiction as most LNs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Goodnight, Demon Castle

It's about an adorable princess who was abducted by some demon king and she can't get a good night's rest in her cell! Being apparently extremely handy with handycrafts, she sneaks around gathering things like materials for a pillow and cloth for a nice bed sheet so she can sleep peacefully!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-026--Red-Dragon-IV?id=300783

i love so much that they didn't skip past the aftermath. nope, gotta show the butchering and corpse retrieval in detail.

Oh no!! That's horrible. Here I was completely expecting them to cut open the stomach and out pops Farlyn, slightly wet, but still okay. I kept reading page after page, expecting this!! Aw man. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Turns out the dragon was pregnant, it lays an egg, out pops Farlyn as a half-dragonborn.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They just need to level up Marcille so she can cast "Wish". Things will be all right.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 27 of Dungeon Meshi is out. Chock full of skeleton related info.

All wizards know forbidden magics, they will just rarely tell you about them. I hope Farlyn is ok with all this, both if the Resurrection spell worked correctly and if she wants to be brought back. Her soul was accepting of her death in Liaus's dream.

Having read Fullmetal Alchemist I was all prepared for human transmogrification alchemy to backfire and do something utterly, utterly horrifying. PHEW! What a relief that seems to have gone alright and not summoned Cthulhu or something. :unsmith: But something seems a little off about Farlyn, I hope everything will be okay. :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tarezax posted:

In the close-up on page 17, Farlyn is clutching her neck and has her left eye closed. Remember how they killed the dragon?

:vince: OH poo poo! I totally didn't pick up on that. Holy crap oh my god.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Avulsion posted:

She recognized her brother and Chilchak without prompting, so hopefully there's enough of Farlyn left in there that she won't start trying to eat people.

Well that's just good news! Now she's respecced as a Half-Dragonborn cleric instead of a pure Human cleric! She'll be able to use a breath weapon as a once per encounter power! :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Draconic bloodline is one of the origin sources of Sorcerous powers, at least in 5th edition it is. It's just fortunate that she isn't Wild Magic!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yen Press has a history of being pretty literalistic in its translations, at least from the YP books I've read. I'm not surprised that they chose to render the title as-is, and should probably expect rather clunky dialogue. They also have the annoying habit of putting translations for sound effects beside the sound effects in the panels themselves, which I've always disliked because they tend to overlap more art, makes the panels look busier and are generally not helpful or useful.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jackard posted:

It's been "Delicious in Dungeon" right from the start... this is like complaining about "Attack on Titan"

That's no better! It's just that we've gotten used to it through repetition!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Hungry in this Dungeon!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dungeon-Delvers, Diners and Dragons

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

And here's another new chapter of Dungeon Meshi.

I can't say I'm not disappointed with this plot twist, but that's mostly because I really really liked Farlyn's character in the last chapter and was looking forward to seeing more!!

Figures. As par for course in D&D, it's goddamn casters messing everything up!! :rolleyes:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 14, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I don't know where the thread went but guess what

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-031--Dryad?id=346829

There's a new dungeon meshi, it's pretty great.

Oh man, Laius is gonna take a dip in Wizard!!

I'm getting a little bit worried about Marcille. She's had these kind of dark circles under her eyes ever since she started using Ancient/Forbidden Magic. I hope she'll be okay. :ohdear: Also, Senshi giving Chilchack "the Talk" was the best darn thing. Haha!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mirage posted:

It's good to see Senshi get a little characterization. He's only ever been "that weird cook guy they met and started traveling with for no good reason" before.

Plus, his eyes. His eyes.

Well, ostensibly, they started traveling with him because he'd been to the lower levels before and could find edible food for them so they could save on equipment costs. As they traveled, he became their party member, and their friend. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dinners, Dragons & Delves.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like how, basically out of nowhere, we have team :japan: with a sexy thigh-high stocking miniskirt ninja, a miko, a cute oni, and a goddamn samurai. It makes it feel like they're in a videogame or something and some folks who got the latest expansion wandered into this part of the server.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Here's a nice new one, quite funny!

The Demon King's Secretary.

I'm rather fond of the so-hypercompetent-it's-kinda-scary secretary trope!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It ain't a good old fashioned D&D Dungeon Crawl until someone gets petrified. :getin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Everything I learned about Japanese folk tale monsters I learned from Touhou. If it ain't frilly and in a bonnet, I ain't seein' it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Squidster posted:

Another chapter of Delicious Dungeon just popped out of the oven.

I'm enjoying seeing the entire extended cast interacting, and there's some great character acting and page layouts in this issue. This is consistently one of the best produced and creative mangas I've seen in years.

Wh-what has she become??! A sphinx?! She looks like a failed creation of human transmutation alchemy. Oh Farlyn... :ohdear:

This keeps getting better. I was expecting it to end neatly when they revived Farlyn, but man, it keeps ramping up in this lowkey way that I just find so addictive and exciting!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HenryEx posted:

All this means is that we're gonna find out what sautéed human* tastes like

* or dwarf or gnome or halfling or elf or goblin or oni or

Delicious in Dragon, by Ryoko Kui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:tviv:

I'm glad it's ok to post one-smiley responses now.