Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Good OP, except a back row is not a back line and Priestland did nothing wrong in that Australia game :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Sometimes I get upset about people hating England but then I remember Matt Dawson exists and I'm like nope, carry on.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Wayne Barnes is a good ref.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Also Argentina have beento a world cup semifinal people

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

I am an Englishman and I am cheering for the bloody argies (because we really don't care about the Falklands all that much)

bugger the falklands what about Maradona

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Miles Harrison still a terrible commentator.

Michael Hooper seriously good rugby player

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I hope Australia get eliminated on bonus points

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I don't have a problem with Robshaw going for the win. The lineout execution was terrible and we had no midfield throughout the game anyway

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

South Africa forced by injuries into playing their best 15

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Matawira and Delindy

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Australia changed their rules so they could pick Gitau. While Armitage and Abendanon sit in France watching the game with a nice glass of wine because the RFU are idiots. Makes you think

Lol nobody wanted Abendanon.

Aussies were good today, England showed a number of flaws we already knew they had, so it goes

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Australia changed the policy for guys with sixty caps who have paid their dues, not for a guy with no caps who might fill a positional weakness.

Half this England twam turned down French contracts because they wanted to play for England and I wouldn't have blamed them for being furious if Armitage got picked after loving off. And Nick loving Abendanon is not better than our current back three. If he were an inside centre, maybe

England's coaches shat the bed this world cup but not because of Steffon Armitage

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Lest we forget, the beloved All Blacks would not in a million years pick a guy who hosed off to France. for the money

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Woden posted:

Idk, beating minnows like England doesn't really show if they're any good. Need to see how the Wales game goes to get a real idea. ;)

True this.

But I still remember Lancaster turning the worst England team I've seen into something watchable. He hosed this world cup but he probably helped us in the long run and I hope the RFU enjoys paying off the remaining five years on his contract when they sack him.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

DickEmery posted:

It's not even Monday and the in-fighting has started...
If Dean Ryan's comments about the people who appointed Lancaster get replayed in the media then I can see them throwing Lancaster under the bus before the end of the tournament.

Shaun Edwards and Andy Farrell will be the next England coaching set-up.

You know, every dogshit decision they've made makes perfect sense if you assume Farrell was calling the shots.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Hmmm. Has to have been Rowntree and Farrell?

Stephen Jones has went into full Lord Bald overdrive in the times, it's hilarious and glorious, do read it.

Highlights:

That doesn't even deserve words.

Cipriani???! Haskell?? :lol::lol::lol: I remember him recently bumbling around super rugby like some twerp fresh out a gym who didn't have a clue where to put his head in, what/where/when the breakdown was, and was genuinely afraid of taking a hit. Let's not even talk about his supposed ball skills. The man's a conditioning coach, not a rugby player.

This is true, but actually avoids addressing what made England successful in the past - the rules that allowed their old structures to be so dominant have changed, and England haven't. Meanwhile, they've tried to play SH rugby in the backs without any of the flair or ball handling skills that would allow them to do so. Complaining about under/over coached backs is pointless - they haven't got the cattle for the pens they're trying to fill. England revert to boring rugby when they're successful because it is what makes them successful (ie. it is low-skill based), but because they haven't adjusted to post-2003 rule changes, they're nowhere near as good at it as they once were.

But what if he plays for Toulon? Or just retired from Toulon??? Jonny!!!!?

Big lumps of white never did Dallaglio any harm.

Remember folks, ENGLAND EXPECTS.

Doesn't mention that he dislikes rugby league so not the "Full Jones"

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

I wonder what the over/under is on Farrell moving upto Number 1?

7!

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Wales win that game if Rhys Webb plays. Their 9 made multiple poo poo decisions when they were two men up

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

So if England had drawn against Wales they would have qualified now.

Edit: I think Robshaw will be reminded of that for the rest of his life.

If Wales had drawn against England they would have kicked for the bonus point against australia.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

French anthem needs to change to Do You Hear the People Sing from les mis

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

What a brutal game

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Sean O Brien gonna eat a big ban after that one. Still, good job Ireland. And good job Saint Andre for making GBS threads up French rugby.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Well France has Celts in it I suppose

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

France played exactley as they have for two years.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

poo poo. Well played Wales but you had one too many Cuthberts on the field

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Robot Mil posted:

Poor Scotland :( I'm a bit of a rugby novice, can someone explain to me why the last knock on (I'm sure I saw the ref say it was a knock on?) led to a game winning penalty kick instead of a scrum? I thought knock on = scrum?

Picked up by a teammate who was in front of him, so it was offside

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Joubert robbed the Scots but he also let WP Nel cheat his way through the game so swings and roundabouts

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

What the gently caress are you on about? Nel was immense and destroyed the Aus loose head perfectly legally.

Nope he folded in half like a penknife on multiple occasions

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Rugby is a great game because it's so complex and hard to tell what's going on that people who know gently caress all about the game can act like experts. Not aimed at anyone particular in this thread, just something I've noticed. Especially when I stand in front of That Guy in stadiums. This goes especially for journalists

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Ahahahahhaaaahaha

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/08/england-world-cup-stock-farrago

I'm an England fan through and through but this is hilarious

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Dallaglio has a snowplough for a chin

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

No-one liiiiikes us, we dont caaaaaaaare

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

England: Mike Brown, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell, George Ford, Danny Care; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Chris Robshaw, James Haskell and Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes, Jack Clifford, Ben Youngs, Alex Goode and Ollie Devoto.

Farrell at centre. DeVoto on the bench. We're going to kick EVERYTHING.

Yeah but who the hell else would you pick? Slade would be the 12 but he's injured. Kyle Eastmond is five foot seven and you can't have him next to George Ford in an international defense. He gets run over at club level already. Meanwhile we have a creative fly half and the most exciting 13 in the tournament. Wings are decent, full back is solid to great. I don't know what else you can ask for with who's available.

At 7 there just isn't a good fetcher in England (and Armitage aint coming back just now). Doesn't matter how much you want a proper number 7, Matt Kvesic just isn't that good and Haskell is leagues ahead of him as a rugby player.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Farrell at 12. Hilarious.

Who is available and better?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

brad barrit is probably a better centre and less likely to throw a shitfit when he doesn't get his own way.

Are yoy trying to traumatize me

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Rugby special had great analysis of how every time Scotland had a scoring opportunity there were two loving big forwards standing in front of Finn Russell. Which means either they planned that for some reason or Russell is just not organizing the line (not helped by glacially slow service from Laidlaw). I think Russell did play like poo poo and Scotland's halfbacks just hosed them in general, but it might be a coaching issue too.

England showed more creativity and awareness than I've seen for a while, even if the execution was bollocks outside of Nowell's nice try. It's going to take time to teach our guys to play with their heads up and look for space but it seems we're going in the right direction after many years of mostly lovely rugby.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Also Priestland played pretty ok in the circs

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Painkiller posted:

There's been plenty worse performances from Scotland.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/scotland/six-nations-analysis-three-key-areas-from-england-15-9-scotland-53954

Interesting article on England's tactics from the guy who did analysis on Scotland for Eddie Jones. That video of all the poorly fielded high kicks is depressing viewing.

Conclusion: Finn Russell actually a bit of a liability.

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure really. I mean we've played worse than that for sure. But in terms of the experience in the Scotland side and total lack of play making made it a true dirge of a match. We were poor under the high ball which you could put down to first match jitters, fair enough. But when we were going though the phases is never looked like something was going to happen. Compare that to Italy against France, Campagnaro and Garcia always looked dangerous and you could see that even if it didn't work they were looking for an edge. We had 51% of the possession in that match but I'm not sure anyone watching it would have picked it that high, it's criminal to come away from a match with that much possession and so few points. We were so slow and ponderous on the attack that I'm sure England have harder training ground routines they work through every week.

Nah, Scotland had three great chances and butchered them (Seymour got stripped by Joseph, Russell threw away the interception, Laidlaw went wrong way from an attacking ruck with Hogg and Maitland outside him). They had some decent attacks and just terrible decision making.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

i am unironically in favour of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

The PE teacher they asked in the report sounds like a total fuckwit more likely to put parents off letting their kids play than assuring them that they won't get injured.

Pretty representative of English PE teachers in my experience