Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AndroidHub posted:

As far as the actual game content goes, the most frustrating part is that they refuse to go back and do balance passes or any kind of polishing, powerplay is the best example of this, they put in this half finished "thing" about political intrigue and cool factions with unique goals then just left it as basically a framework with every faction having the same basic objectives and only a couple granting bonuses or modules worth fighting for unless you're a roleplaying maniac.
I'm just curious how many times they'll put "...and nobody flies the Orca!" in the newsletter before they wonder why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

You know, this is kind of interesting. This observation makes it look like Frontier can only lose here: If they make more ships, people will complain about many of them not being the absolute best in whatever category. If they don't make more ships, people will complain about having not enough choice.
The trouble with ships is the time-to-upgrade gaps between Cobra-and-below and everything above it. Maybe making the Anaconda half-price isn't the right move, but it'd be nice to have some sort of ship to jump to after an Asp that isn't 50 hours of grinding trading (or an accomplice thereof). Even in a T7, "you have 50 million credits lying around" isn't a given.

Of course, this is the old "Can't buy ships" vs. "Make your own fun instead of chasing the biggest ships" argument again, but until CQC launches, it's what we're left with these days.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sekenr posted:

Well, I also play since december but somehow explored my way into an Asp + Vulture + Courier + Clipper + 50 mil, I HAVE done some trading and RES hunting but no more than just a faw evenings. Clipper is a LONG way from being fitted properly. I think this money might be due to CG abuse?
You definitely didn't explore yourself into the right rank for a Clipper.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zaardvark posted:

Hey, are there any exploration-related events happening at the moment? I'll be returning from a multi-month exploration trip to the core and back, and I'm going to have a poo poo ton of explore data to sell.
You can keep up with the current community goals in this Frontier forums thread. No exploration goals currently, but if you're getting back next week, they'll change.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I guess I shouldn't really complain, since paint jobs should've prepared me for this, but bobbleheads at 5 quid a pop is... kinda sad for a feature they cut out of beta.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

OB_Juan posted:

It's better for dumb stuff like bobbleheads and paintjobs to be pricey, and not have anything that effects gameplay for sale than some other, worse models.
On one hand, yes. On the other hand, £120 for DLC pass (which is no longer available).

LCL-Dead posted:

I mean.. Anyone who back during the Beta is going to be into the larger and more expensive tier of ships by this point in the game unless they never play. So why the hell would you reward a single Viper when the original offer was for 'one of three ships'?
Because they don't want people bitching about "paying for advantages" for something people bought over a year ago. :argh:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Does E:D require a monthly sub?
No.

quote:

Also

Is this steam sale a good way to get in (~$27), or are there cheaper methods? http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/?snr=1_4_4__112
Yes, that's as cheap as you're going to get it. However, they're about to launch their first expansion pack in a few months, to which buying the cheap version of the base game now will not grant you access. Consult their flowchart to decide how you want to proceed:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

LCL-Dead posted:

Requested complete refund of Star Citizen account..

Trying to decide what to do with it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Crimson Harvest posted:

So the expansion is ~$45 if you already own the game. I have a feeling I should get it at that price rather than wait for it to go up when the loyalty discount ends.

Is there a comprehensive list of what content is going/expected to go in the xpac?
Basically this.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

A pretty nice voyage to the core and back.
I'm not a huge fan of how bloomy GEMfx makes everything, but drat if I don't get jealous of people's pretty screenshots sometimes.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

gently caress. I made 47 jumps yesterday!
Also, since it gets switched off after every patch, a reminder to explorers to turn on verbose logging so you can use tools like EDDiscovery to see where you've been recently. Useful for those times when you accidentally jump out before scanning that Earth-like and can't find it again.

Aramoro posted:

Ah handy, I'm currently really bad at supercruising and coming out of supercruise at my destination, like it flashes up I should slow down but well after I should have started slowing down so I kinda obrit it trying to slow down to some reasonable speed nearby before cruising in.
In addition to the tips about watching the countdown as you approach, if you don't mind getting there a little slower, put your throttle in the blue zone. That should (usually) slow you down to just the right speed when you're getting near your destination. Some ships can be a little fiddly about it, but you should get the hang of it with some experimentation.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Insert name here posted:

Two smuggle missions to the same outpost with a combined payout of one million? Sign me the gently caress up for easy money!

:suicide:
I was checking out those long-haul missions from far-out outposts last night and ran across a mission wanting someone to run some cargo to another station in 18 minutes for 200,000 cr. I haven't seen those quickie missions since beta.

Would've taken them up on it, too, if it wasn't for a station 396 LY away.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Xae posted:

I just ultra-cheesed the mission generator at Sothis and only picked up missions that ended at outposts.
It hardly even matters for those missions. Oh no, a 60,000 cr fine. Guess I'd better finish up this 7 million cr mission!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So why is Sothis the preferred smuggling station?
It seems like stations that are farther away or less frequented now bump the rewards up to entice people to take them. Sothis is the farthest station, so it can generate some ridiculous payouts, depending on your ranks and local faction standing.

That said, they seem to have loosened the restrictions on missions in general, so you don't have to go there. It's just very efficient for Asps and other long-range pilots.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I came into the game late 1.3. I started with the standard sidewinder and 1000 credits. That was approximately 6 weeks ago. Now I'm sitting on 595,890,122 CR in total assets, 387,324,402 Cr cash money. I farted around the first 2 weeks doing basic smuggling missions until I had enough to get into an Adder, then a Cobra, and then finally a Vulture.
That is probably more money than I've made since they reset the game for launch, first grinding trade routes and rares, then getting sick of it and running off to explore.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 16, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It is a bit random but in an Asp you should be doing about 20-30m a run.
Last night, I took a courier mission without paying attention and did the 400-something LY in 24 minutes. :haw: Got interdicted five times, wound up boosting straight into the landing pad to beat the clock.

quote:

As you get more trader ranks you get more higher paying missions with fewer refreshes.
Last night, every high-paying mission after my first trip was locked to Elite trade rank. :mad:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I think I found a station built by robots.

SynthOrange posted:

Okay what's with the Advanced Discovery Scanner? The range says inf, but I point it at a distant unexplored object and it doesnt scan?
It's only for revealing stellar bodies. Your ship can "scan" them without any special equipment if you can stumble across them. Bind the scanner to a weapon group, then "fire" it while cruising around in a system. Then you target all those "unexplored" planets/stars and fly toward them until your ship starts scanning them.

And as Gestalt Intellect says, also having a Detailed Surface Scanner makes your discoveries more valuable.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PadreScout posted:

Yeah- Diamondback Explorer. I thought since it carries so much fuel and has a what? 35 LY max jump range it'd let me do my rare routes with fewer fuel stops, but in reality it just uses a shitton more gas and only seems to jump around 17 LY with cargo. My little hauler can do 24. Adds 4 or 5 freaking jumps to my route. I like the look of it, that's why I bought it, but drat man, it's not working out for me. Maybe I'll leave in the hangar until I can afford to really hop it up, that or just buy the loving Cobra. I got the drat Diamondback Explorer blues.
That doesn't sound quite right. I'm guessing you need a better Frame Shift Drive.

16.91 LY laden with a 5D FSD
30.09 LY laden with a 5A FSD

...and about 5 million credits' difference between the two. You can also add about 3 LY per jump with each step up in FSD you buy.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PS loving witchspace is broken again

Maybe this is how they are addressing Sothis, by making long runs absolutely awful
Nah, this is how they're compensating.

This afternoon, I flew from the station in Sothis to the outpost, and some space cop smelled space weed and tried to pull me over every 100 Ls for 3/4 of the trip.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sard posted:

I have a Type 6 and a DBS, should I bother with this Sothis stuff at all or am I too space poor? I mean if I can do it viably, it'll be nice to have some bank built up for when the Federal Corvette comes out so I can get it and finally stop being nice to Federal ships and join up with goons maybe.
It's all smuggling missions, not normal fetch quests. You can do it.

Might get a little frustrating running from your newfound admirers in a tub, though.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

OK he did have an Asp but gently caress this guy
Unless that dude has his name on a few thousand stars, I don't want to hear from him about easy money making the game boring.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sekenr posted:

So - I have about a 100 mil in free assets, the question is trade Python or T9? 250 cargo space isn't a very big improvement over ~200 that my Clipper can carry. So - is outpost landing preferable over 500 loving tons, opinions goons?
Cargo hauling is the death of fun, but it depends on what kind of route you can find. The Type-9's huge capacity can spin straw into gold, but outposts often have the best commodity deals precisely because no big haulers can dock there. If you can find a good route that only touches big stations, go for it. If you want flexibility and the choice to slap on some guns and go screw around, go Python.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

3 posted:

I just whipped up a completely no-frills Exploraconda here. Season with additional modules to taste, but the enormous default jump range of the Anaconda lets you play with internal fittings with a minimal hit to LY covered; you can also remove the additional fuel tank to bump the single-jump range to 37.21 LY if you're careful about navigating with regard to scoopable stars.

Speaking of Anaconda explorers, does anyone know for certain whether route planning jump distances are determined by the current fuel, or a full tank?

I ask because you can get some absolutely hilarious range if you just fill up the internal modules with fuel tanks -- 1400-ish LY without refueling -- but obviously your jump range goes to poo poo with that much fuel, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the tanks there for the easy areas of space, then just not fill up when you need longer jumps.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
You can also ram into it at 1Mm/sec or less and just drop out without damage, just like mashing J for emergency stop.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm gonna laugh if headlights are the single variable that effects whether you're scanned while smuggling.
[DIRECT] [Federal Security Services]: Pilot, you have a headlight out. Reduce speed and exit supercruise immediately.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

From a design point of view, having something so precious as a ship be vulnerable when the Commander has little to no chance of rescuing it (if you parked your ship and drove off a long distance from it) seems undesirable to me. I guess I would see it as being akin to leaving your ship present in space when you left the game. My issue here is that there's no sensible player choice here, only a strong punishment and disincentive to using your SRV for any decent amount of ground travel time.
While not punishing people for playing the game is a good idea, wouldn't this make your ship more vulnerable by leaving it floating in space, visible to everyone, instead of being a tiny blip on the radar (or not perceptible at all from space)?

Or does the ship just kinda vanish from existence when it launches until you call it back?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Having your ship effectively disappear from the game when you're in the SRV just makes sense form a game design perspective.

Who are the people opposed to this? :psyduck:
I think it's a good idea, but they also make a big show of it blasting off into space.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Trustworthy posted:

http://imgur.com/a/2dkcd

It's my understanding that it has to do with how real life astronomical data is stitched together inside the game. Which is understandable and all; I just can't recall seeing anywhere near as many cubes in civilized space as have been jumping out at me over the last couple weeks.
Huh. That's odd. The space cubes I've seen looked more like this:

Do they stay constant as you move around? I'm almost inclined to call them a rendering bug.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

During one of the recent streams they said there are actually both smaller and larger classes of the module, with the large one being able to carry multiple buggies. So it's actually made in a way to allow even the Sidewinder to carry a buggy.
And don't forget that they've said it gets harder to land on a planet the bigger your ship is, so it's definitely aimed at smaller craft. Not that that'll stop people from trying to park a T-9.

I'm expecting Horizons to be fun, but not profitable. Most people probably won't have much cargo space, so even if you do find a downed cargo ship full of osmium, it'll be like Oregon Trail -- you shot 4000 tons of rares, but you could only carry 16 back to the wagon.

I think they also mentioned something about more nuanced scanner data for planet surfaces, but that's probably not going to be big bucks compared to the time investment. Maybe some bounties for whatever pirate bases you run across?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Valatar posted:

The Clipper's length hosed with me for the first several times I docked. I'd get through the slot, rotate to align with the landing pad, then promptly smash a wing on something because the ship's rear end hadn't cleared the slot yet.
And then promptly explode because of that bug about scraping the side of the station.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Literally Kermit posted:

It's more or less a placeholder, hopefully it will tie in the upcoming passenger service thing (take on the survivor, maybe get a mission from them! :haw: but that is me speculating. Something like that is definitely in the works tho, according to dev notes
I'm not holding my breath, though, since it's on their long list of "no timetable available" features from that Q&A the other day:

Dante80 posted:

• Passengers? Planned, but can't remember exact timescale.

Sorry, Orca!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
With the right fuel scoop, an Asp can tank up just by flying over a star while waiting for your frameshift drive to cool down.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The tradeoff with a big fuel tank and lots of cargo is that your jump range is going to drop dramatically. It might be worth the time not stopping to refuel, or it might not.

Also, you can take the biggest fuel scoop you can afford, since they are weightless. Assuming you have a few million spacebux burning a hole in your pocket, of course.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Is this from 1.5? Did they finally fix rendering on multiple black holes?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Stanko-Prussian posted:

It beats them launching it and, i dunno, it crashing every five minutes and ships flying off into space from physics errors and none of the stations rotating correctly and everything shaking, something along those lines maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztyvBx1R1A

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Wow, those synth paint jobs actually have more effort than just select ship -> fill bucket.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

Its pretty sad that we have been playing for months with bad asteroids. Many people were thinking that the game was downgraded in graphics in some of the latest versions. So its either a bug, or they did downgrade the graphics and now in 1.5 beta you can get the old shadows back unintentionally. Hope they fix the bug soon.
I would love to see a regression report someday for E:D. "Fixed 62 bugs. Introduced 4 new bugs. 372 regressions to issues fixed in 1.0 - 1.4."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'd be cool if they brought back the old one-shot wirmhole super-hyperdrives used to jump between different "Galaxies"* in the original Elite as a way to cross thousands of Lightyears in one go (but single use, of course).
They are introducing single-use jump range extenders in... Horizons, maybe? Part of the new crafting system, I think. Sadly, they only double your jump distance, and I'm not sure whether they stack.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The patch notes mentioned:

quote:

For the Beta 2 public test, Beagle 2 Landing in Asellus Primus star system also has all modules and ships available in stock
so if you haven't been back to the bubble in literally a year, you might check there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

From what I can see, class impacts the number of SRV's you can carry -- class 4 can carry two, but there's also a G ahd H rating and the only difference between them is that the H rating weighs twice as much.
Also, the class 6 holds four.

If you want to give up a class 6 slot for a fleet of 5,000 cr dune buggies, that is.

xyigx posted:

got this as a gift. Read the op. One question, do I just tool about single player till I make some credits or is there somewhere I should be heading in the poopcraft v1 in multiplayer. Seems like most all I can get around the starting area is mining missions that I can't do with my equipment or bounty hunter stuff that directs me to empty space. Occasionally I get a space trucker mission that pays a whopping 6-12k bit that's about it.

Oh and the bounty stuff seemed to work better in solo mode since there were actual ships to shoot in the places they sent me, pay was still poopy though.
Missions are going to be pretty weak early on, especially if you get stuck in a starter system like LHS 3447. If you want to shoot stuff, you can park yourself at a combat zone/resource extraction site/nav beacon and target ships to see if they are wanted criminals you can shoot on sight. A Kill Warrant Scanner will also find bounties outside of your local system. Bounty missions will help get cash, but they're more of a supplement than the main course.

• Locked thread