Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I wasn't really sure which thread to ask this in.

At least 6+ years ago (probably more like 10+) I watched like 2 episodes of an anime that I'm trying to remember what it was. It was definitely not Gundam / tangential, but it had a lot of the same kinda thematic stuff.

The major plot points I remember were that it was a group of teenagers in some kind of military school. They ended up being caught up in some kind of civil war or uprising and took command of a space ship. The spaceship combat was like this long protracted stuff, ie they had to all sit around and wait for hours and hours for orbits to intersect etc and then find out of missiles hit or end up in a very short lived gun battle etc. One particular battle was against an enemy ship that could teleport a gun platform / drone around but in doing so placed the ship itself at great risk.

No clue if it sucked or not but the little bits I remember had a pretty neat feel to them, kinda like Das Boot or Run Silent Run Deep in some ways with building up a good bit of slow tension.

It was all very much an aesthetic of Gundam type characters all thrown into combat out of nowhere and had a distinct "Submarines, but actually spaceships / naval battles". There were no aliens that I recall, or at least that wasn't part of the early plot.

Anyone know what this might have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Davincie posted:

that is Starship Operators. its alright, solid middle of the road anime. i enjoyed its dedication to realism

Yeah seems like this may be it. I need to watch an ep or two to be sure.

I didn't recall this much of the cast being female though so that's partly something that didn't hold up to memory.

e: thank you

That Works fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 10, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shin Sekai Yori is one of my favorite things. Just real interesting feel to it most of the time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:agreed:

squealer did nothing wrong

Nice.

Yeah it's hard to put into words, I guess it builds up this competing sense of curiosity and dread the entire time that builds as it goes? Something like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What should you watch after Macross Plus?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

definitely try Mob Psycho 100 if you haven't seen it and like one punch man, it's the other series from the same artist and has similarly cool animation but also a stronger emotional core to it.

spice and wolf is kinda unique topically but Katanagatari is another historical adventure series with heavy banter between the leads

Definitely second Mob Psycho 100 based on your interests so far.

I always recommend Monster to anyone who hasn't seen it, so there's that. If you liked the 1st part of Death Note I can't imagine you'd hate it but it can be a slow burn (worth it imo).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Run with the Wind was loving excellent. You almost certainly wouldn't be disappointed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Also maybe Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace and even Beck had decent elements of that but for music.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PastaBakeWizard posted:

I'm about to run out of Dr. Stone. Anything else out there with that co-operative, getting-poo poo-done atmosphere?
Failing that, my favourites are Stone, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Jojo's, Part 4 (1, 2 & 3 are also great and I'm coming around to liking 5, I think?), Kill la Kill and Evangelion. I get that I just listed a bunch of reasonably entry level crowd favourites but go wild. Mould me into the weeb you want to see.

Additionally a friend showed me one of the Gundam movies and I didn't realise that they had the more down-to-earth drama aspect, I sort of thought they were big robot fights all the time. What's the best Gundam entry for that aspect?

The previous page had a good bit of recs for a similar request to yours if you wanna take a look there too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Second this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

Cool, thanks. I thought of GitS:SAC also but wasn't sure about the dub quality, glad it's good. Moribito is a good idea; I wanted to suggest 12 Kingdoms, but it's really not good at hooking most people, so I wasn't sure she'd stick with it. A Silent Voice is a good pick too, she'll cry her eyes out. Speaking of which, if I want to be really brutal, I could suggest Wolf Children and make her cry for 2 hours straight.

edit: How's the Psycho-Pass dub? Probably also a decent pick.

The Psycho-Pass dub I watched on Netflix wasn't bad at all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hilario Baldness posted:

Watched Monster and loved it. It was lengthy, but it was a fantastic story.

I think I'm going to give Steins;Gate next.

Awesome,.glad you liked it. I recommend that to everyone typically.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

I finished watching Iruma-kun while exercising and really enjoyed it. Iruma was fun to root for, and both the opener and closer were pretty solid songs to amp up and peddle to. I always watched them, and made them part of the routine. What are some other good, relatively light anime to watch while on an exercise bike? A straightforward story like Iruma-kun has is appreciated, as I would prefer things not be contingent upon missing some small detail while I am trying to sweat.

Yowamushi Pedal

Kingdom

Haikyuu

seconding Saki K

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chocobo posted:

I need something to watch. My favorite anime of all times are Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, One Punch Man, and Mob Psycho 100.

I like awesome animation, I like humor, I like good characters. If a series only has one of these attributes, but knocks it out of the park, I am on board. I prefer short series with only a few seasons and little to no filler. Any recommendations?

If you haven't seen them already:

Ping Pong
Redline
Last Exile
Jormungand

You and I have a very similar favorites list.

E: Seconding GITS:SAC and Psycho Pass from above as well.

E:

FMA: Brotherhood
Silver Spoon
Chihiyafuru
Nodame Cantabile

That Works fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 31, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chocobo posted:

I need to rewatch Redline, I seem to remember it being full of crazy poo poo and just running with it without feeling the need for explanation.

That's pretty much Redline yeah. It's great animation and just goes all out all the time mostly.

If you haven't watched the Patlabor movies that might be worth looking at.

Also FMA:Brotherhood is good on just about every category except it's not short per se.

Ping Pong is fantastic on character development etc, one of the same reasons I liked Planetes so much. The animation is good but very different. It's also funny.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Been watching Haikyu and really enjoying it, it's definitely putting me in a sports show mood. I've jotted Run With the Wind down since I saw it mentioned a couple of times but would love to get some more suggestions.

Chihayafuru is not quite sports but same energy and is a very good series imo. If someone explained it to me at the beginning I would be more reluctant to watch but I'm glad I did.

There's always Hajime no Ippo as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

Giant Killing is older and doesn't always have the greatest looking animation but occupies kind of a unique niche in that it's team sports with adult characters outside of a school setting -- One Outs and Gurazeni also fall into that but Giant Killing also has more of a traditional "sports show" feeling with the rebuilding the team plot so I'd recommend it if you want pure sports. One Outs is pretty fun but it's also about gambling and mind games and stuff so it's kind of a different sort of show despite the sports setting. Can't really say much about Gurazeni bc I haven't watched it yet but you might throw it on your list.

I wouldn't put Kuroko's Basketball on the same level as Haikyuu but I enjoyed it well enough to watch 2.5 seasons out of 3 -- the B-plot with the older (normal, non-freakish) characters is some really good sports storytelling and my favorite part of the whole thing.

Yuri on Ice is another pretty unique show since it's built around professional ice skating, it has a lot of really good sports-show feelings with the MC having to rebound from failure and rebuild his confidence.

Chihayafuru is 100% a sports show imo because it captures the excitement and tension of competition, building a team and learning to rely on your teammates, shows them doing the hard work of practice, and lets them fail and have to recover from it. Definitely check it out!

All of these are great

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

Hi there :)

Can anyone recommend some anime that has a ton of depth to it? Bonus points if it's long (cause of quarantine). I love sci fi and very dense shows. If anyone's seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that's kind of what I mean. I dislike the slice of life dramas or comedies unless the comedy is incidental/secondary. Also kinda dislike childishy art styles and 13yr old boy coming of age animes but I loved Evangelion so maybe I have no idea what I want or don't want. Favorite animes are the classics: gits, trigun, evangelion, champloo, beebop, and OPM. Sorry I'm so negative and picky!

Did you see Planetes? Also Legend of Galactic Heroes, old and new versions.

Shin Sekai Yori also might be a good fit. Monster isn't scifi but is long, and has a lot of depth as a psychological thriller.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Is there anything like the Blue Literature, Requiem from the Darkness / Hundred Stories of Natsuhiko Kyogoku or Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror that's like an anthology series worth checking out?

It's not really what you asked for but for some reason I keep thinking of Death Parade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gintama

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Glad people in here recommended Hyogue Mono recently. Couple eps in and I'm digging it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Endorph posted:

hyouge mono definitely isnt everyones cup of tea (heh)

:lol:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Ping Pong since everything I think that's better has been recommended already and I feel that it's criminally underrated

I was debating this or Planetes for my favorite. Planetes definitely if you include the manga and just delete the Ninja episode.

That Works fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 1, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

I think I'll go with "gundam thunderbolt: december sky"

:dudsmile:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

One Piece has a fan project called One Pace that edits the whole thing down to no filler + sane pacing. it's by far my favorite incarnation of the series, mostly because I like the Japanese voice cast

it isn't and likely won't ever be dubbed though

I wish someone would have run with the "One Class" joke manga translation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ichigo being the "centrist" doesn't really work because Ichigo gets to do all sorts of cool stuff and has a kickass sword while centrists are loving dullards to a one.

Anyway the real question is where Gintoki fits in.

Anarchist

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I'm a bit dead inside from all this isolation, any shows that could kick some feelings loose?

Like, Violet Evergarden and Carole & Tuesday stand out in recent memory

March comes in like a lion

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks for the tips. I was aware of the situation with surpassing the manga, my main concern was just to whether the abridged nature of FMA:B’s beginning would make either of us feel lost. Some friends were telling me that they felt like FMA:B seemed like it expected that you had seen the original series.

I'm actually just re-watching FMA;B like 9 years later with my wife who had never seen it. One of her current favorite sci-fi authors (NK Jemisin) had tweeted about loving FMA etc so I suggested she check it out.

Biggest thing I can tell so far is some of the early emotional connections with characters just doesn't develop because the story goes through super fast. Like Shou Tucker's daughter and the dog, that whole story was at least from what I remember really sad and built up for a while. In FMA:B you meet them one episode, dead the next and onto the 1st battle with Scar. It's still impactful, but I remember in the original series it was like, really more of a feeling of loss for everyone and now it's like "oh a kid, ok bye kid sorry your short life ended bad" and done.

That said, I remember when I finished FMA:B I liked it a great deal more than the original FMA. We are on about ep 12 or so right now so I'll see if I can tell when it slows down.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks like things can go on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Inadequately posted:

So I haven't kept up with anime in a while, what're the best shows released within the last year or two? Open to any genre.

Someone upstream recommended but I would def go with Run with the Wind if you like a good paced character development / introspection story featuring collegiate running. I enjoyed it a great deal after seeing it rec'd here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

No

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Normally I watch gay and or magical girl animes...

But today I want to watch war dramas.

I've seen half of legend of the galactic heroes. I've seen the 2000's rear end jungle gundam. The gundam historic battles gundam. And the one with amuro in it though I forget how it ends. I saw gundam seed like 15 years ago. I saw that recent one that had a sharp decline in quality over the course of 12 episodes 1-2 years ago.

What should I watch now?

Zipang, Star Blazers, Aldonoah, Yukikaze, the second Patlabor movie probably are the first thing that comes to mind.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

I'm looking at the Star Blazer's dub credits and...?

That's wild.

This is the one I was thinking of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Blazers:_Space_Battleship_Yamato_2199

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yo yeah watch Gundam Thunderbolt if you have not

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm almost done with S1 of Iron Blooded Orphans.

It's... ok. Not loving it but its not crap either. I saw recent discussion of S2, is it worth keeping up with or just letting it go after S1?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

occluded posted:

Looking for more stuff like Dorohedoro, for someone reeeeasonably new to anime? Interesting characters, weird, lighthearted, some sort of magic or technology in the setting but not foregrounded to the extent that there are huge infodumps every episode.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you haven't seen it yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Mob Psycho 100 if you're cool with the setting being "contemporary plus some supernatural."

:this:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Ping Pong the Animation if you stopped watching new things before that came out.

:f5:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

I rewatch the series at least once a year, still stand by it being the best animated series I've seen.

Yup, it's one of the few I've rewatched more than once. Great series, great ending, pacing etc was just about perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

knox posted:

Just finished LOTGH, definitely one of my favorites all time along with Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Great Teacher Onizuka. Ninja Scroll, Akira, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (OVAs) some of my favorite films. Not sure what to check out next.

Ping Pong
Mob Psycho 100
Gundam Thunderbolt