Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
If we're talking 70's/80's mecha anime, Gundam 0079 and Macross are kind of obvious, and both hold up pretty well - Gundam does show its age a bit more, which is why most people recommend the compilation movies instead.

And while I second the recommendation for Maison Ikkoku, I'd also like to recommend Touch for a great combination of romantic comedy and sports.

Edit: Also, Fist of the North Star is totally awesome and about as 80's as you can get.

fezball fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for Super Robot shows? I've watched, and liked, Gurren Lagann, G-Gundam, Gunbuster, and Diebuster. I've tried Shin Mazinger and GaoGaiGar, but couldn't really get into either.

I liked Godannar quite a bit, although you do need to have a certain tolerance for really blatant fanservice for it - other than that, it strikes a good balance between comedy, romance and action.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

satsui no thankyou posted:

want something good and long to read or watch, read preferably. just got to the end of translated dorohedoro, really like Kingdom, HxH, LoGH, JoJos

Full Metal Alchemist sounds like it should work, it has the journey parts of Jojo's/HxH with a fair amount of politics and intrigue in a steampunkish setting with a good deal of fantasy thrown in. There's two anime versions of this, with the first one doing its own thing pretty early on when they overtook the manga and the later Brotherhood then doing a proper adaption of the manga story while speeding through the early parts that the first anime had already done - both of them are worth watching, but reading the manga is still what I would consider the best way to experience the story.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Irresponsible Captain Tylor takes a generic space war setting and then spends its entire run making fun of how silly it is to fight each other, ending with one of the best "Why don't we all just get along?" endings I've seen. Not exactly the clean future you asked for, but it has optimism in spades and is just good fun overall.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Did you watch Hellsing TV or the Hellsing Ultimate OVA? The TV series only followed the manga for its first half, and then made up its own ending which is prettty universally agreed to be vastly inferior to the manga. So if you only saw TV, Ultimate will still have plenty to offer.

I can't really think of a good gun-centric show right now (maybe Trigun, but that one is more goofy than violent), but if you want awesome crazy action with minimal talking then Redline should be a good one.

Edit: I totally forgot about Black Lagoon, that one is pretty much Stupid Gun Violence: The Anime.

fezball fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 6, 2015

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
If you're fine with manga as well then I'd be a lot more confident about recommending Trigun - the Anime isn't bad, but once again kinda fizzles out with an anime-only ending long before the manga story even starts really ramping up. Late manga Trigun gets ridiculously overblown in the best ways (although Nightow's drawing style isn't for everyone).

Also, because you probably missed my edit on the last page:

fezball posted:

Edit: I totally forgot about Black Lagoon, that one is pretty much Stupid Gun Violence: The Anime.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd actually say the Trigun anime tells a better, more powerful story than the manga, but it's true the manga reaches some dizzying heights of insanity.

I don't even disagree here, the last few episodes hit me really hard - the manga has some events that I think are equally powerful (most notably the one mirroring a certain character's anime-only ending) , but at that point the story has reached such a huge scope that they do get drowned out in all the noise somewhat.

Still, the request was for something crazy and violent, and for that I think the manga is the better choice.

quote:

Nightow's action sequences are supremely garbled, however.

That one is 100% correct of course, but weirdly enough the action flows nicely once you've made your peace with having not the slightest idea of what half the panels are even supposed to be.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Reds posted:

Yeah, SotS is pretty much the go-to for really nice sword action. Anybody got any series that fall on the lesser known side? I've probably cleared through most of the better examples by now.

Shura no Toki is pretty good. It is a series about a dynasty of unarmed fighters popping up all over japanese history and beating up prominent historical figures. The TV series has 3 mostly separate arcs (Miyamoto Musahi, Jagyuu Jubei, Shinsengumi).

I really like the way this series handles its fights - the main character's fighting style is really straightforward and brutal (you don't see any gore, but the sound design and animation really sell it), and while mooks get dispatched in seconds the "boss fight" of each arc has a lot of effort put into it. The last (and longest) arc does suffer from really spotty animation quality at times though.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Doesn't gungrave radically change after the first episode?

Trigun's first couple episodes have some good bits but are by far the weakest part of the series (which is to say, it gets much better)

Funny coincidence, Gungrave and Trigun are by the same author, aren't they?

AFAIK Nightow only did the character design on the game, but wasn't involved in the story.

The first episode of Gungrave is a flash-forward to late in the series and makes it look like a shooty action kind of show (just as expected if you know the game). What it really is is a pretty drat great crime drama where the action and scifi bits are by far the weakest parts, but are still used well enough to not drag it down. Definitely give this one a three-episode test at least, ep1 really misrepresents what this show is about (in fact, it gets repeated almost unchanged later in the series so you might even just skip it without missing anything).

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Gungrave is tough because the flashback stuff is great but everything dealing with the original games events is awful.

True, but at least the people making it were aware of that - they only use half the game's story to begin with (the later half of it gets really weird), and even that is compressed into like 3 episodes worth of time that they very obviously try to be done with as quickly as possible to get back to the good part.

So it may seem like the show goes off track in the second half, but they turn it around soon after that and the final episodes are really really worth it.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp, finished episode 9 of Gungrave.

Definitely not what I expected.

To be honest, the action is rather lacking. I'm used to stupid gunfights in, well, pretty much any medium ever, so I'm not bothered by that aspect. But there's a lot of Empty Room Syndrome (tm) going on, where it always seems that the characters are removed from their surroundings in quite spacious (and more often than not rectangular) surroundings - not only in shootouts, mind you. Aside from the first episode, there's more short bursts of more mundane action rather than prolonged insanity versus undead abominations. That's fine too, but it's just not very good action. A little disappointed there.
But, unexpectedly, I'm really digging the story so far! Betrayal, iron codes of honor, killers sinking into apathy. The characters are quite enjoyable (except that gross always-eating guy, goddamn close your mouth dude). It feels like there's a lot of build-up towards things going to hell, and now that the undead are introduced, there might be gloriously stupid violence thrown in once more. I'm really, really curious if this show can pull of the mixture of mafia intrigues and Hellsing-brand gun action. (I hope for more over the top gun action so bad)

Don't get your hopes up too much, Gungrave is a pretty bad action show throughout. The good news is that the character drama will stay as good as it is, but the action will always feel perfunctory and is just there to drive the character dynamics. There are a handful of episodes in the later half that are all action and a bit of a slog, but the finale is again all character-driven and really really good.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Can folks name some manga series that have the atmosphere, quality artwork, and cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic nature of Eden: the endless world, but without being a loving terrible trainwreck? I loved most everything about it outside of the horrible story and plot twists, so if there's something that has all that plus a good plot, that's my jam

It's a pretty long shot, but Pluto comes to mind here. It's not post-apocalyptic and not really cyberpunk either, but it does have some pretty strong dystopian undercurrents. And both artwork and story are superb.

For something closer to your original request, all I can think of is Shirow's stuff (GitS/Appleseed) and maybe Alita, but they are quite different in tone from Eden (and dangerously close to trainwreck status at times as well as far as I'm concerned).

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I've read GITS/Alita, GITS is sometimes good, Alita is fantastic and one of my favorites. Never tried Appleseed, I'll toss that into the queue. Pluto too. Thanks!

One more thing that just popped in my mind: Saikano - again quite different from Eden, but it touches very (almost too) effectively on similar themes of loss, regret and people reacting to desparate situations. Beautifully drawn and crushingly depressing at times, there's a pretty decent Anime adaption out as well.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really. I mean that dumb thing I posted a summary of that's about lesbians making out earlier is also technically art. What in your opinion makes pluto perfect? I feel like it may be the same thing that folks say 20th century boys and monster are perfect, but again, I feel like all three series drop the ball in the final stretch. Again, it's an incredibly strong series for a good section of its run that does some really powerful things that I've not seen in other series that deal with similar themes, but after a certain point(once all of The Seven die, especially) it just turns pretty hokey.

I guess not having any prior reverence for either author means I'm less willing to write off the lesser parts of it.

It's been a while since I read it, so I can't really comment in detail, but I remember the ending as being really strong by Urasawa's standards. 20thCB certainly did fall apart later on (although in such a way that it still kept my interest), and while I was quite satisfied with Monster's ending it was far stronger during the more episodic stretches than the actual main story arc.

But as for Pluto, sure it does get rather super robot as must be expected from an Astro Boy reinterpretation. However, it does tie that quite effectively into its earlier points about the robots struggling to overcome their destructive nature and searching for their own kind of humanity. What it comes down to is probably that the ending shows its Astro Boy roots much stronger than the rest of the manga, and Astro Boy can certainly come across as "pretty hokey" to more modern sensibilities. If you're unable to adapt to that or tune it out I can see it spoiling the character interactions which for me were still as strong as before.

drat, now I have to re-read it.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

This is chronological order (not release order), i bolded the ones to definitely watch.

Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Do You Remember Love
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier

Seven is realllly long and i didn't care for it at all. Zero adds magical weirdness and the best thing about it is when it gets referenced in Macross Frontier.
Macross 2 is it's own strange thing and i haven't even bothered with it, maybe someday i will.

7 is very different in tone to the other series, and it does have a fair amount of fillerish content - its biggest problem is probably that it doesn't have enough different music for its length (Planet Dance got really annoying after a while). That said, it's a nice lighthearted show with good action when it feels like it so I'd still recommend at least trying it out - just don't try to to marathon it because that will only highlight its flaws. Maybe save Zero/Plus for breaking it up a little, they're pretty much entirely separate from 7 so there's no problem with mixing them up.

Frontier heavily references all of Macross though, so for the full experience that should be the last thing you watch.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

Guys can you recommend me a historical anime. Basically I saw Hyouge Mono, liked it a lot, so now I'm craving for more. Things I'm looking for in particular

1) at least pre-WW2, preferably pre-Meiji (1868? or thereabouts) Japan

2) main character/s are adults

3) no silly stuff (magic that doesn't fall into folklore/tradition category, super-powered chuuni fights etc);

Does something like that exist?

I've never seen the anime, but judging by the manga Lone Wolf and Cub might work.

Edit: Oh wait, there isn't an anime, that's live action. Oh well, consider it a manga recommendation then.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I'm looking for a fantasy show that has a witch girl with short hair and glasses. I swear I've seen it somewhere before, in passing (either that or that character archetype is rather popular).

I don't think it was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though.

Witch Hunter Robin maybe?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Seconding Ore Monogatari, Lovely Complex is also good.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

I'm looking for an anime with a great main character duo. The characters are cool on their own but the show gets really good whenever they're on screen interacting with each other. Some examples would be sousuke & chidori, isaac & miria, kurisu & okabe, and gon & killua. Basically, two characters with an interesting relationship that's fun to watch.

Tiger & Bunny
Spice & Wolf
Dirty Pair

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Crimson Chin posted:

Okay so I'm midway though watching Shimoneta (a boring world where the concept of dirty jokes doesn't exist) and its just so good. I think i need more anime in my life that is both dirty and hilarious. Any suggestions?

B Gata H Kei

and while I haven't seen it myself Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt has a reputation for being both exceedingly dirty and funny.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

Saikano
Now and then, here and there
Grave of the Fireflies

and for something less well known: Wolf's Rain

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Your list is short on SciFi, so let's try some of that:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is hilarious and absurd all the time, but also manages to sneak in some really poignant bits. The TV series has one of my favorite finales in all of anime, just be warned that the follow-up OVAs end on a really unpleasant unresolved cliffhanger.

Crest/Battle of the Stars is a rather slowly paced, but excellent series that is just as interested in exploring its alien society as in its grand space battles and a really sweet main couple. If you liked Spice and Wolf's pacing, there's a decent chance that this will work for you as well.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Seconding Ore Monogatari, and no romantic comedy recommendation is complete without mentioning Lovely Complex.

If you liked Slam Dunk and want something sporty with a little more romance focus, some Mitsuru Adachi might work. Cross Game is probably the best one to start with, as Touch is 100+ episodes (but really really good).

If you don't mind some (well, a lot) sexual humor, B Gata H Kei is pretty funny and way sweeter and less sleazy than its premise makes you think it would be.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Gunbuster/Diebuster come to mind, they're awesome and also relatively short.

If you want music with your mecha, Macross is the obvious pick (although the older series tend to overplay their songs a lot). Macross Plus is a standalone OVA that doesn't require much knowledge about the setting, and Macross: Do you remember love is a movie retelling of the original TV series - both of them are a good start into the franchise.

And for something more recent, Kuromukuro strikes a really good balance between fun, action and drama.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Those who Hunt Elves is good, and very very silly.

Magic Knight Rayearth does get pretty dark at times, but has a lot of silliness to balance it out.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
If you want world building and large-scale space battles (which are quite unique due to the way hyperspace works in the setting) you should probably check out Crest/Banner of the Stars.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
You definitely want to check out last season's Restaurant to Another World.

Despite not being directly cooking-themed, Silver Spoon and Moyashimon are very food-centric and well worth a watch.

Early Yakitate Japan might also fit, although you should be aware that the series peaks pretty early on, followed by a long decline into increasingly forced bad comedy.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Fist of the North Star is the obvious one here, and it covers the schlocky 80's Mad Max style in all its glory exceedingly well.

For something grittier, Wolf's Rain might work (it's not really that great in terms of story, but does a pretty good job with the bleakness of the setting), and I've heard good things about Desert Punk (but haven't seen it).

And if you want something more colorful, Overman King Gainer and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are set in post-apoc scenarios, but don't really focus too hard on them.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I was eventually going to see Wolf's Rain anyway because of the Kanno soundtrack, but I hadn't read anything else about it. Didn't realize it was post apocalyptic.

It has a strong fantasy element to it, so it kind of depends on how you define the term - that said, it is very much about a broken world in the final stages of decline, so I'd say it fits.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Can anyone recommend me some comedy series on Crunchyroll?

Seto no Hanayome/My Bride is a Mermaid
Mahoujin Guru Guru
Gamers
Nobunaga no Shinobi
Ouran High School Host Club
and just in case you haven't seen it yet, Konosuba

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
- Seto no Hanayome is a really fun romantic comedy, if you liked Ranma you've got a decent chance of liking this as well
- I'm currently watching Astro Fighter Sunred, and its weird style of comedy really reminds me of Cromartie. If you want something with less basic production values, Nichijou and Daily Lives of High School boys (aka Nichibros) are the go-to recommendations for absurd high school comedy
- Tiger & Bunny is a great blend of light hearted comedy and action

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh! Is Excel Saga any good? I used to hear everyone talk about it back in the day, but completely forgot it existed until someone brought it up again recently.

It's good, but it's been a long time since I saw it and it may not have aged that well. Its main gimmick is that every episode is set up as a parody of a different anime genre, with things getting more and more insane over time. The non-aired final episode is called "Going too far" for a reason. And then there's Puni Puni Poemy...

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Hey, I need something like Black Lagoon, but I think I've tapped every other alternative I can think of out (Hellsing Ultimate OVA's, Drifters, Jormungand, Future Diary). Can you recommend something like Black Lagoon (crazy, violent fun would be my three key words)?

Sengoku Basara and Thunderbolt Fantasy might be worth a try - neither of them is quite as violent as the ones you mentioned, but they sure bring the crazy fun.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

somewhat recently finished FMA:B and i'm looking for another show to fill a similar spot. something good looking that's at least action-ish oriented, and has an interesting plot and enjoyable characters. i've already seen hunter x hunter, my hero academia, and soul eater so if anything else along those lines exists i'd love to be made aware of it

Thunderbolt Fantasy. Really fun plot and characters, and while it's certainly not your standard "good looking" anime the puppet action scenes are fantastic.

Edit: For something more conventional, Rage of Bahamut - season 2 has some serious issues with the main romance plot, but the first season is way better than a mobile game anime has any right to be.

fezball fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 28, 2019

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ufarn posted:

Anyone who's both watched and read Monster with a rec of which one to go with?

It's a super faithful (and also excellent) adaption, this really comes down to which medium you prefer.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

The Holy Queef posted:

I am actually looking for some Recommendations for wholesome manga personally.

All of these have really good anime adaptions as well:

Barakamon
Flying Witch
Interviews with Monster Girls
Sweetness & Lightning
Ore Monogatari / My Love Story

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Barakamon is a great show about a calligraphy nerd from Tokyo moving to the countryside to find new inspiration, and with her previous likes it seems an almost certain fit.

Sweetness and Lightning is about a single dad learning to cook for his daughter. Just adorable all around, with a good helping of food porn, it's hitting a lot of the same vibes that Yuru Camp did for me.

Azumanga Daioh might also work - there are certain parts of it that haven't aged gracefully surrounding a pervy teacher, but that is mostly constrained to smaller side jokes. The rest of it is really funny and heartwarming.

Also seconding Flying Witch.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
It's not an anime, but the 2010 Three Kingdoms live action TV series is excellent (although quite the time commitment at 95 episodes).

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just finished up watching the 2 seasons of xxxholic. If I wanted to read the manga, do I need to be familiar with the other clamp stuff? I think I saw that some of the plot was shared with Tsubasa?

Later xxxholic gets totally entagled with Tsubasa, the only way much of it makes any kind of sense is to read both of them in parallel. Knowing more of the other Clamp stuff helps to recognize the callbacks, but isn't mandatory.

That said, the crossover stuff takes up so much of the story that you may be happier just sticking with the anime which does a really god job with stripping all of it out (turning it into much more of a mood piece than the interdimensional chaos it eventually becomes). Not saying that it is bad, but if you just want more of what the anime gave you you may end up confused and disappointed.

fezball fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
It's not really the main focus of Crest/Banner of the Stars, but when they do get around to doing battle it's really effective at doing the "one small ship trying to do its part in a huge battle" thing.