Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I'm looking for real spooky anime, guys

I finished Higurashi, and it was pretty good. Looked like garbage, but I was genuinely interested in the story, and I loved all those scenes where everyone is loving crazy and everything goes wrong in the worst way possible. Also - I'm not even sure if this needs to be spoilered, but oh well - I'm a total sucker for time loops. I actually started cheering when they started remembering earlier loops towards the end of the first season, and they just kept topping that in the second. I'm really glad this show wasn't afraid of throwing completely bewildering poo poo at you all the time, only to go back and explain every little thing. Felt very... tidy, almost. This show had that satisfying feeling of completing a puzzle, piece by piece. (It was a loving marker, not a syringe :stare: ) I'm a little disappointed it wasn't as amazingly vile in the end as it was for most of the story - but I guess it's more upbeat after all.

Also watched some of Shiki, and by gawd, do these people have ridiculous anime hair. Feels very much in the same vein as Higurashi, though, and I'm strangely enjoying having dozens of characters introduced at once, only to desperately try to keep track of them while they bounce off of each other and poo poo goes wrong in the worst way possible very fast.

So now I need more horror anime. Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions. Big fan of mystery / puzzle plots, too. The shorter, the better! I'd like to think I'm desensitised towards bad animation, now that I've gone successfully through two seasons of Higurashi and most of Shiki, but, uuuuuuh... not too low-budget would be nice, too.

Spooky animes, please :ghost:

GeGeGe no Kitaro (1968)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

1) is there anything as fabulous and manly as Jojos

Fist of the North Star occasionally comes close.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Will there ever be an anime as funny as Detroit Metal City

Cromartie High School, if you watch the dub.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hey:

Sword of the Stranger.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish to hear about a good anime that's a period piece that's not set in Japan, with minimal or no supernatural elements.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'd like to ask for some suggestions for sci-fi watching material, please.
To be a little bit more specific, what I'm looking for I guess is old-fashioned adventures but in space. People being heroes, trying to stop problems, bad guys being bad, etc. I'm not against political intrigue or cosmic horror or humans are the real monstersssssss, but I'd like to keep things focused on ADVENTURE :black101:
EDIT: Space Opera. That's the term. Oops. :v:

I just recently finished Outlaw Star and I loved the hell out of it, currently going through Cowboy Bebop and Space Pirate Captain Harlock and they're pretty fun as well. Tried Space Dandy, wasn't really 100% on it and dropped it at about episode 10. People keep suggesting Bubblegum Crisis.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor maybe

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I dream of a world in which everybody has watched Giant Robo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

I'm looking for an anime with a great main character duo. The characters are cool on their own but the show gets really good whenever they're on screen interacting with each other. Some examples would be sousuke & chidori, isaac & miria, kurisu & okabe, and gon & killua. Basically, two characters with an interesting relationship that's fun to watch.

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The One Punch Man dub is good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is the best Isao Takahata movie. Porco Rosso is the best Hayao Miyazaki movie.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo is incredible and Redline is amazing. Even people who like bad things can also like these good things. All persons should view of them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every Lupin thing that has ever existed is pretty well self-contained. Some of the more experimental ones don't give you quite the introduction to the five characters that would be appropriate for a first-timer, but you won't have a problem with that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please watch Redline.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

JoJo ending has left a hole in my heart that I'm struggling to fill.

I'm looking for an anime that has a mix of brutal beatdowns intertwined with bizarre humor. I've seen Mob Psycho, One Punch man, Kill La Kill, and Gurenn Lagann. I'm allergic to moe and excessive fanservice (the fact that I finished KLK speaks volumes for how much I love over the top action and bizarre humor).

I'm thinking about watching Gintama but 200 episodes is waaaaaaay too much for me to deal with right now.

Violent action mixed with comedy is a rare combination, but if you don't mind something that's at the comedy end of that scale, try Astro Fighter Sunred.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lupin the 3rd. Doesn't much matter which series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The first is a good time capsule. It also has some pretty amazing animation for the time with things moving from the background to foreground while there's complex character movement going on.

Yeah, and both the first and second seasons contain episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, so keep an eye out for that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JD posted:

Recommend me something that will make me think, something smart and provocative but maybe not too violent

Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

This though it can get quite violent, though that is often to punctuate a point rather than for its own sake which makes it a lot more meaningful

Yeah, the violence only gets graphic like once a season, and it's always brief and suitably shocking. Most of it's from a rather bloodless, god's-eye perspective.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

:same:

I've never seen anything like it outside of reading a book. It's good, too.

It is an adaptation of a series of novels. Not even light novels, either, but the regular, good kind of novel. They're translating them into English and three of the eleven volumes have been released.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mimir posted:

I want a Mecha show where the robots feel as big and weighty as possible. The ground buckles and quakes with their footsteps. I don't care if they're slow or fast, super or real. Just give me the meaty bots. Like that one episode of Samurai Jack.

I second Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space Runaway Ideon

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cock and Balzac posted:

Can anyone recommend any 'mature' anime? Bit of an oxymoron, I know.

I'm having trouble coming up with an exact definition of what I mean, but I guess basically the equivalent of a seinen manga.

A few examples that come to mind are: kaiba, mushishi, legend of the galactic heroes, the tatami galaxy, and house of five leaves.

Thanks in advance.

Trashy or classy?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

I second this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If parody is acceptable, Astro Fighter Sunred, which is about a surly burnout of a superhero and his exceedingly polite and conscientious nemesis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I once saw an episode of the Blade anime by mistake. Although it was not good, I now feel that anime is the perfect medium for Blade to exist in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is extremely 90s, but also extremely good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

*Grins devilishly* Legend of the Galactic Heroes

This, but unironically.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fist of the North Star should be required reading or viewing if you have a specific interest in the genre.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School is not recent, but in case you missed it, fix that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

got a friend with an ask that has me kind of stumped. anyone know any animes/mangas that feature a world/living space entirely made out of metal? he said that aposimz is the closest thing he's found to what he's looking for. he's an artist and is trying to find different examples of that kind of stuff.

I don't think we're supposed to mention the one in the title, but that has people who live on a Death Star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

Lupin III.

"But should I watch the old stuff or the new seasons?"

Yes.

I second this recommendation, on the basis that the hundreds and hundreds of episodes of Lupin the 3rd consist almost entirely of heists. Required viewing.

The anime is of a different character from the manga due to the influence of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, however, so be ready for that if you go looking for the source material.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a new Gegege no Kitaro series every decade or so since the 60s and as far as I can tell they're all good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The various Lupin the 3rd series from across the decades are good. There's no plot to speak of; each episode is a heist or misadventure, with a wide tonal variety. To me, the characters never get old.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lhet posted:

Looking for some new episodic fun/comedy/weird anime to watch in between arcs of more serious serious stuff during anime nights. Astro Fighter Sunred was the perfect fit here, but we've finished it now (already have seen Cromartie, Sakamoto, DMC).

Inferno Cop

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Redline is free on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NIor7m_tnI

It's very good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fooma posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still has nominally technology-based robots, but most of the cast has magic superpowers, including at least one literal wizard.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Moribito

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chocobo posted:

I need something to watch. My favorite anime of all times are Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, One Punch Man, and Mob Psycho 100.

I like awesome animation, I like humor, I like good characters. If a series only has one of these attributes, but knocks it out of the park, I am on board. I prefer short series with only a few seasons and little to no filler. Any recommendations?

Lupin the 3rd (there's a ton of it but episodes are self-contained), Cromartie High School, Inferno Cop, Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What are the best 6 or 12 episode anime series? Not too fussed about genre, but I like action and robots and Goku's and stuff

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is 7 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bolt, son of Nalt.