Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?

You're probably thinking of Seiyu's Life, the currently-airing/simulcasting show about voice actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zas posted:

Have you read the Oshii/Kon collaboration manga?

There's a what? :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reds posted:

Anybody got any good world-building shows? A lot of shows have interesting settings but never really reach beyond what's going on in front of the main characters's faces at any given point. Whether it's a good old fashioned adventure or just a show that likes to talk about its world a lot, that's the sort of thing I'd like to see.

I loved Juuni Kokuki/The Twelve Kingdoms for this, where they took the time to go into detail over stuff as minute as how the government allocates land.

If anybody has any good "let's just go on an adventure" shows that'd be cool too. Shows that are generally fun would be nice too. Just finished rewatching The Tower of Druaga, that show was the best for being fun.

Oh, and to make one last demand, it might be a little simple but anybody know shows with good swordfights? For such a universal protagonist weapon the list of shows with good proper swordfights is awfully low.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (especially 2nd GiG) for the first pair, and Samurai Champloo for the last two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reds posted:

Watched both, I've watched most of the airing stuff from the last couple of years. Get hyped for Bahamut season 2, coming whenever. Get less hyped for the yuri-bait high school spin-off thing.

Haven't watched Nausicaa though. I've watched Patlabor though.

Nausicaa is great, but the manga's better. And well worth hunting down the giant two-volume hardcover boxed set.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Allarion posted:

You'd probably like it. Most people do. It has an anime-original ending that people are mixed on.

Wasn't that a "we'll be back when there's enough manga to continue" ending?

Also if Redline is on Netflix, you should watch Redline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Linnaeus posted:

why did netflix remove nhk...

Guess you're no longer welcome :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yes, i'm 100% serious. That's almost exactly how I would describe it.

Seriously, it's a good space show. Outlaw Star is also good. Someone's probably gonna recommend Space Dandy in a minute, but that's got a tenuous grip on reality/science in the same way Doctor Who does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

What are some good short robot shows? Like, two cours at the most?

Have you watched G-Reco or Build Fighters yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hmm... Martian Successor Nadesico?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fezball posted:

Did you watch Hellsing TV or the Hellsing Ultimate OVA? The TV series only followed the manga for its first half, and then made up its own ending which is prettty universally agreed to be vastly inferior to the manga. So if you only saw TV, Ultimate will still have plenty to offer.

The first TV series barely touches on the manga because it only had two volumes to work with at the time it was made. After that it goes right off the rails.

Torquemadras posted:

I feel like I've watched too many talky shows recently.

So please recommend me animes with ridiculously awesome guns and ridiculously awesome shooting of ridiculously awesome guns

None of that mecha stuff. I want hard-boiled shooting mans with ridiculous outfits. I watched Hellsing and that fulfilled all criteria, as well as having a surprisingly tidy and satisfying ending. It is what I shall measure all shooty animes by in the future.

Give me violence

It's not a series, but if you can find volumes of it go read BLAME!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fezball posted:

AFAIK Nightow only did the character design on the game, but wasn't involved in the story.

The first episode of Gungrave is a flash-forward to late in the series and makes it look like a shooty action kind of show (just as expected if you know the game). What it really is is a pretty drat great crime drama where the action and scifi bits are by far the weakest parts, but are still used well enough to not drag it down. Definitely give this one a three-episode test at least, ep1 really misrepresents what this show is about (in fact, it gets repeated almost unchanged later in the series so you might even just skip it without missing anything).

I'd say actually give it five episodes. It jumps several years between multi-episode arcs through different points in Brandon's life (leading up to the events in the first episode and chronologically beyond it) and it'll either grab you or not at the end of the first little arc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

Go check out Patema Inverted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Yeah Voices of a Distant Star is just one guy, in the original version he and his wife even did the voice acting. It's short, but it's good.

It was also rendered on his home PC, if I recall correctly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is Guilty Crown any good? Caught a preview for it at the start of the second Blu-Ray of Michiko and Hatcin and it looked okay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

esselfortium posted:

I don't remember much about which season was which, but I liked DtB and definitely thought it was a fun and worthwhile watch.

Season 2 was the 12-ep job with the underage magical girl pulling a sniper rifle out of her naked chest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.

Smart Fanservice: "This character has sweet tits, it's a footnote irrelevant to the show at-large".

Regular Fanservice: "Oh hey, a trip to the hotsprings/beach/pool for one episode".

Stupid Fanservice: "THESE GIRLS PRANCING ABOUT IN HALF-NAKED OUTFITS IS KEY AND ESSENTIAL TO THE GRAND DRAMATIC OPUS OF THE PLOT BECAUSE :downswords.:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Kind of just ran through the wiki's manga category but I think these would work:

Monster
: Same author as 20th Century Boys and while not as intimately about the friendship between the main characters it should tickle many of the same itches from that series.

Kids on the Slope: Absolutely fits your criteria, unless you don't want to read something set in 1960's Japan or something about music.

Kakukaku Shikajika: OK this one isn't on the wiki yet for some dumb reason but gently caress it it's so so so great. Autobiogrpahical story about a Josei manga author as she goes from High School to a being an author, focusing particularly on the relationship between herself and her teacher. Very brutal emotionally at times, especially when you realize it's non-fiction.

Silver Spoon
: Can't imagine this wouldn't fit, unless you don't want to read something about farming. The main character's development and relationships with his friends/family are very compelling.

Hoshi no Samidare - The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
: Most fantastical/battle-heavy of this set but it is still set in modern Earth and features incredibly well done characterization amongst the cast.

Monster is a bit of a slow burn early on, but goddamn if it isn't well worth sticking with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CommissarMega posted:

Been watching Patlabor, and I'm loving the poo poo out of it. Seeing how 'normal' the robots are, as opposed to being superweapons or even military-only vehicles, is something I never knew I'd find appealing. Any other mecha shows like this?

My favourite little touch is the license plates and turn signals on the waist of the Ingrams, just to make them road-legal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reds posted:

I've never really got it when somebody says "this anime looks/is old" as a negative. What's wrong with old anime? The cut-off line for what is and isn't too old that some people have seems kind of arbitrary.

Some animation holds up compared to newer stuff despite how old it is because of the effort put in, some just looks uproariously poo poo because other newer shows did the same thing a lot better and you just didn't know better at the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Redline took something like seven years to complete, and goddamn does the effort show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Castle of Cagliostro
Adolescence of Utena
Beautiful Dreamer
K-On! The Movie

Patema Inverted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

smenj posted:

Looking it up, the Unlimited Blade Works one appears to be on Netflix in the UK, US, and Canada, but not Australia (though it's on Crunchyroll there). I guess if VPNs still happen to work with Netflix (they've already started blocking some), you could watch it that way. Or perhaps try Viewster/Crunchyroll/Daisuki and hope wherever you are happens to have it.

That'd be because it's up on AnimeLab :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At least the asspull victory in the Tryon fight wasn't by loving Sekai for once, so that's an outright decent fight in my book. By BFT's standards, anyway.

One of the biggest fuckups of BFT is that we're all pretty sure someone upstairs threw a fit at the prospect of a female main protagonist and did everything in their power to shove Sekai in the audience's face like he's Poochy. The first few episodes set up Fumina as the narrative perspective with decent BF-quality writing... and then suddenly Sekai is the plot-centered wunderkind desired by all to be their rival for the rest of the series.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 26, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The real sad part is watching three World-Level teams get to the final rounds of the nationals and start squabbling over who would get to fight Sekai. That and about 95% of the rival teams in-general could each be summed up as "Stepping Stone No. [n++]".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kubla Khan posted:

Guys can you recommend me a historical anime. Basically I saw Hyouge Mono, liked it a lot, so now I'm craving for more. Things I'm looking for in particular

1) at least pre-WW2, preferably pre-Meiji (1868? or thereabouts) Japan

2) main character/s are adults

3) no silly stuff (magic that doesn't fall into folklore/tradition category, super-powered chuuni fights etc);

Does something like that exist?

La Chevalier Deon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I just watched the original Ghost in the Shell movie and really enjoyed it. What else in the series is worth watching?

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is the sequel, and it's... okay. Plot's kinda bugfuck but it's a very pretty movie to watch. Stand Alone Complex is probably a better place to start next though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You could always watch all 74 episode of the Monster anime :shepface:.

And I would if I could find the drat complete DVD collection in local stores.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Iron-Blooded Orphans was really great and gets my vote, since if you jump in now then presumably you'll be there for the second season in October. The thing is I'd almost be perfectly happy if there wasn't a second season because I thought the first wrapped things up pretty nicely.

It really didn't wrap up anything at all. I loved IBO, but it left drat-near everything hanging in the air and it's got the specter of 00 season 2 and BFT hanging over it.

My money's on them timeskipping until most/all of Tekkadan are adults/late teens to nix that pesky interesting child soldier theme.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Off the top of my head;

Outlaw Star
Cyber City Oedo 808
Patlabor (start with the Early Days OVA and then go for the 50-ep series if you like it).
Psycho Pass
Trigun
Martian Successor Nadesico

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

I wouldn't really consider durarara as action

There's action scenes occasionally, but they're no where near the focus of the show

As I recall they're generally pretty short too? Idk I haven't actually seen all of durarara and it's been like half a year, I should get back on that actually

Durarara isn't about action, it's about interaction between a wide cast running into one-another.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

IIRC the mangka hated the tone of the adaptation and got into a fight with Anno and he walked. It would have been tough to boot him from a studio that he cofounded, I would imagine.

(especially since it was behinds the scenes stuff unlike the blow up over ep 4 of TTGL that got the other cofounder booted)

What happened with Gurren Lagaan?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish to hear about a good anime that's a period piece that's not set in Japan, with minimal or no supernatural elements.

Le Chevalier Deon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JD posted:

Can you guys recommend some anime movies that are one offs?

Stuff like The Girl who leapt through time, Summer wars, the MIyazaki films etc. Genre's not really important, though I'm not particularly in for Shoujo stuff atm

Thanks!

Patema Inverted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Redline is a goddamn gorgeous movie and if you haven't seen it yet, you've done your eyeballs a severe disservice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Jormungand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I think Durarara!! fits the bill, I believe it did get a dub on CR. JoJo would work too but I don't think it has a dub yet.

Durarara!! and Durarara!! X2 do indeed have an ongoing Simuldub.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a good show about war and politics with mysticism as flavor instead of a bad show about mysticism with war and politics as flavor.

Also, Greed doesn't go out like a chump.

It also doesnt have the idiotically dark reveal of Alchemy being powered by people dying in World War 1 in our world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

birdy the mighty decode season 1 is alright, but it's really worth watching for season 2, which is imo one of the loving coolest character driven sci-fi stories ever. and bubblegum crisis is really awesome, too

you could also watch dirty pair, which is about a pair of space cops fighting crime in space and on alien planets.

i really love space dandy but i can understand why you'd drop it if you're looking for a space adventure thing, since it's really more of a showcase for a huge mishmash of directors making their own individual stories featuring the same cast of characters

Birdy the Mighty Decode was a real surprise for me as to how drat good a sci-fi show it was. It even doesn't pull punches when the REAL bad poo poo starts going down. I've still gotta watch the second season too, so now I'm really looking forward to it.

Though I'll never forgive it for killing the best character four episodes in. Goodnight, you magnificent gay blue robot :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rvm posted:

Okita is the best, isn't he? 2014's movie (make sure to watch it as others suggested, it owns) did a lot to sell me on Kodai as the captain and I can't wait for the sequel, but I'll miss the old man.

Space Battlestar Battleship Yamato is a real fun movie and well worth a watch :allears:. The ending gets pretty dumb - we only have minutes to evacuate, let's waste them on long goodbyes!, but it's still a good adaptation for a feature film. My favourite bit is the guy getting all excited about being assigned to the Third Bridge. It brought back memoried of the first new Star Trek film where the away team was Kirk, Sulu.... and random redshirt :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fsmhunk posted:

What is a good anime for a kaiju fan to watch?

Attack on Titan.