Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gohan didn't think he could possibly kill Frieza.

He knew he could kill Cell.

Not only that but it's established very early on that Gohan naturally holds back while fighting. He does it vs Nappa when Piccolo and Krillin are setting up for a group attack, it takes Piccolo dying for him to cut loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This movie at least finally delivered on referencing the very best abridged DBZ series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwj91-uHDa8

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Raxivace posted:

FUN FACT: The guy that voices Kami in DBZA is actually the dude that did WeeklyTubeShow back in the day.

I've been waiting ages for them to drop a TubeShow reference, especially with RemixSprites as 16.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some fun observations from the thread poll:

- Mr. Satan, as champion of the Earth, is also the champion of Something Awful, followed by Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, and Goku.
- Videl is the most popular female character, followed by Bulma, then Chi-Chi.
- While not officially on the list, Raditz falls into the "Other characters" category and still couldn't get better than last place.
- Of the named Saiyans, Goten has the least votes, and less than half the votes of his buddy Trunks. He still beat Uub.
- Cell and the Androids are the most popular of the straight-up villains, but Tao Pai Pai comes close.
- Gohan is the most popular half-Saiyan in the series.
- Yamcha has more votes than Freeza.
- Turtle School disciples Krillin and Roshi both beat their Crane School counterparts in Tien and Tao Pai Pai.
- Oolong is apparently more peoples' favorite character than everyone in DBGT combined.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a great game to play through using an emulator with some kind of speed-up mode, makes the grinding and endless fighting animations a lot more bearable. Probably not the best DBZ game around but it's still one of my favorites, I always wondered what an RPG spanning the entire Z series would look like.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What were they parodying at the start? Sounded like Steven Universe but its been a while since I watched that and I couldn't place the song.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I always put Dabura as about where Perfect Cell was before he regressed to semi-perfect, blew himself up and came back, not after. I Want To Believe, anyway.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Aurora posted:

Haha, of course the missing super dragon ball is the four-star one.

Now I wanna know if its hiding place is Earth or something.

It's gotta be that tournament planet they're on, the one with all the craters. There was even a shot a few episodes back where you can see the six collected super dragon balls and the planet, and it's the exact same size as them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I gotta say, that Piccolo/Frost fight was really good. Great to see all of Piccolo's techniques on showcase, from the multiform technique to the stretchy arms. Probably Super's best fight sequence so far, imo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

You guys are forgetting that Goku got a power boost after going Super Saiyan God. So Frost is actually probably about as strong as buu.

Or maybe Toei just doesn't give a gently caress and we're about to fall into a well full of gt-quality writing.

The impression I got was that Goku was really holding back and didn't bring his God ki into it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Freeza was also notoriously lazy in the main series. It's implied that the last time he fought seriously before Namek was against Bardock and the Saiyans, and even in that fight he didn't get out of his chair. Frost at least gets around into battles and stuff. I'd expect him to be around Cell-era Piccolo or the Super Saiyans.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah, I don't see SSB Goku losing to that big bear dude no matter what the rules are.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Covok posted:

The 90s is strong in this one.

Also, way too overdone for a DBZ design, for my tastes. I'm sad they didn't go the Toriyama route and have the second augmentation form be a skinny, frail, unassuming form that was lolpowerful. That or Golden King Cold.

I kinda like it, looks like a more extreme third form Freeza.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I'm digging the fights, but gently caress.. I can't get behind Hit's little boost. It's like he didn't know he could scream and glow until that moment. "I never needed to get better so I didn't until THIS VERY SECOND" is such a bullshit response. I'd love it if someone would just pull a Kaioken on Goku.. "Yeah this hurts like a motherfucker and I'll pay for this in the morning, but there's no way I'm going to let you beat me."

It's always been like that in DBZ. Fighters plateau off until either by chance or necessity they encounter someone stronger who inspires them to reach new levels. Goku and Vegeta were hanging around SSJ2 and 3 at the start of the series and may never have discovered God ki if not for Beerus and Whis showing up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They're martial artists, they're not going to go all out needlessly. Goku and Vegeta don't just want to one-shot their way to victory, they're both prideful and enjoy competition for the sake of it. That's leaving behind the strategic element of holding back their true power until it is absolutely needed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Esroc posted:

I wonder how long it'll be before we meet The King of Everything's boss. Because this is Dragonball and you all know good and well Zeno won't be the top.

This show has gotten really good. Only complaint is that everything has been super low stakes so far. I guess it's pretty hard to top a cosmos ending schizophrenic putty monster, but I really hope they pull out a real big bad soon. Hopefully Goku's *wink wink nudge nudge* to Hit about Beerus and Champa being in charge "for now" is them setting up a real DBZ era story arc.

I'm pretty confident they will ramp things up. This tournament mostly felt like stalling for time while the writers figure out what is coming up next.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The last time I heard there was talk of a third movie was before Super was announced.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That'd be a cool way to bring back Trunks that isn't literally the Xenoverse plot.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He looks a lot older.

Future Trunks was my favorite character in the original Z. I hope they give him some cool poo poo like SSJ3 at least.

I'm also really hoping for a return of Cell. Probably too much to ask for.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If Babidi arrived in Future Trunks' timeline would there even be fighters around he could collect energy from? Just Trunks seems like it wouldn't be enough.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I enjoy Multiverse more when I forget about it for a month or two.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Would there be any footage of the old Androids? The highway fight with Vegeta and a few cop encounters are all the mischief they pulled.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think we all know who the Dingaling King is. He can even stretch it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Uhhh so how about that Xenoverse 2?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My favorite part of the episode was Pilaf giving Trunks a math lesson. I saw that problem and was like, "I wonder if they're going to forget order of operations" and was pleasantly surprised when they didn't.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. Buu's body count isn't that high.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm a few days late on the DBZ: Legend of the Super Saiyan talk but my advice to anyone interested in playing is to get well acquainted with the turbo button on your SNES emulator. Even without doing some of the very easy tricks to gain fast levels, the encounter rate is horrible and the battle animations take forever. I still have the horrible map music and battle music stuck in my head and I haven't played the game in at least 10 years.

I can't in good conscience recommend it, if you're hungry for a DBZ jrpg I'd recommend tracking down the pokemon hack instead.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Agoat posted:

Sorry for the late reply but this game is weird and really cool to hear about. I like early SSJ Vegeta being stupid strong.

It's a good game for the amount of flexibility you have with approaching the story. What if the Z-fighters were competent and able to prevent most of their deaths against Vegeta? The survivors would probably have gone to Namek with Gohan and Krillin. So if you keep your guys alive against Nappa and Vegeta you get to take them to Namek (which makes the game considerably easier).

It's a bad game for virtually everything else though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yes! I played through Team Training and liked it a lot, the conversion is very convincing and it definitely kept the Pokemon itch of always finding out which fighter you could catch next. It's fun putting together themed teams.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'd recommend Kai unless you have a second monitor or something to play the original episodes on while you do other things. Pacing in Kai is so much better.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Where's #19?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh lmao. I spent about 10 minutes scouring the picture trying to find him but never thought to look at Vegeta himself.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

17 was part of Cell for a bit...

Probably what I would go with.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah, I'm not going to rush to judgment without seeing the second part, but uhh it sorta needed some kind of finish to it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

sassassin posted:

He goes crazy when he dies but they rarely hang out or know much about each other's lives. That's not friendship.

They're colleagues/childhood acquaintances, and Goku is brain-damaged. If Goku had a puppy and Frieza/Piccolo's minion killed it, you'd get a similar response. They took something weak that Goku thinks belongs to him.

Did you not watch Dragon Ball at all?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

piccolo should unlock a new form for namekians, i want to know what it would look like, and also it would be rad as hell

Big Green?

Every time Piccolo powered up in Z, he took on a deeper shade of green.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hopefully Super can settle this Krillin vs Tien debate once and for all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

Tien had a few cool parts in DB and one cool part in Z. We barely know what he even does with his life after he stops being an assassin. He has a farm or something? What does Chiaotsu do? What did he EVER do? As far as I'm concerned they could have killed Tien off pernanently as he was loving up Cell and it only would have improved his arc.

My headcanon for Tien is that he's constantly on the run from Launch, explaining why he was out in the middle of nowhere during Buu.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Momomo posted:

Vegeta couldn't even scratch Recoome and only killed them because they were literally unconscious. Technically we never see how he fares against Burter and Jeice, but I really did not get the sense he could've beaten them.

Vegeta got a zenkai from Goku's senzu bean, which is enough for him to handle Jeice easily. Goku seems to treat him as an equal when they look about to fight Ginyu and Jeice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Wait.. Is it what I think it is? Bojack?

Probably gonna be after Cell's Saga considering how Goku does a punch beyond the grave to help Gohan.

2nd half of Broly was just mostly fight but well they did what they could.

Vegeta's freakout was the best.

SSJ2 Gohan basically confirms it's after Cell Saga. Also one of the few movies that could credibly have happened during the series.

• Locked thread