Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'm enjoying Logos, but I don't know if that's just me. It probably helps that I marathoned episodes 2-11 last week so the tiny amount of plot movement per episode didn't bother me.

I think it's one of those shows that lives or dies on whether you find yourself buying into its characters or not. It does the "one-note protagonist" thing better than EVOL did since they realise how silly his "I am the saviour" thing is and run with that, but the rest of the characters don't stand out to me as much as EVOL's did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Demicol posted:

Is the Gunbuster movie good? I'm gonna show it to a friend and I'm not sure if we can finish the OVA's in one sitting, is the movie compete garbage or does it condense the story well enough?

The movie cuts out a lot - Jung's not in it at all, for example - and loses a lot of the feel of escalation that's a big part of Gunbuster. It's alright I guess, but I don't think it's a good way to see Gunbuster.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but at least in theory, "within the context of these movies, this is what the TV show is" doesn't sound bad at all? It seems very ignorable from the point of view of the TV show being a good work on its own, and I'll take this handling over AO being a direct sequel that seemed to hate how the show ended. It's not like you need to approach everything as a single canon just because it's playing with past works.

Then again, while my opinion on Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers has moved towards "yeah, it's not a good movie" since I saw it, I did like how that movie approached its own relationship to the original series, and this isn't miles away from that. This spoiler sounds like Hi-Evolution could end up interesting, if they're willing to actually take things in a good optimistic direction as the series progresses rather than murk around in misery town until the last five minutes.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Blisster posted:

Is there anywhere to watch the TV series online? I am having no luck finding it. Will I ruin the experience if I watch the movies first (I think they're all on youtube).

Votoms is on HIDIVE.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Am I missing something? Most of the criticism on this show is about its weak story and characters. I agree that invading aliens is about as fresh as monkey's breath but you can't convince me the characters aren't fun and unique.

Shows land differently for different people. I've only seen (and enjoyed) 4 episodes of Majestic Prince but I can easily imagine some people being more annoyed than entertained by the protagonists, at least at the start. If someone came in hoping for a cool character to get behind, they're not getting one there.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Kanos posted:

Delta is a goddamned mess where the music isn't a means of peaceful conflict resolution, it's a magic spell that cures illnesses, unlocks ancient superweapons, and provides super combat buffs to friendly pilots and all of the conflict is solved by using these buffs to shoot the bad guys better.

Honestly, I think Delta handles this pretty well, because it asks "You're a singer who loves singing, in a world where music does all this crazy stuff, and you work for the military. How does this affect the way you relate to your music? Is music just a weapon, or something more?" I get that it might not be a take everyone wants, but it's interesting to have an arms dealer speculating that in the wake of the previous Macross shows music must be a weapon set up by the Protoculture, and this is an unbearable idea to the protagonists but it's hard for them to argue with his reasoning there and then. That scene's not in the movie, because the movie prioritises having actually good pacing, but the theme of why you'd sing is emphasised by focusing in on Freyja as the lead over Hayate. In both versions, Freyja's influenced to become part of Walkure by loving their music and the artists that came before them in UN culture. In the movie, the finale comes down to a character being told to sing to use supernatural power to change the world and rejecting it in favour of singing with friends and enjoying music as music, and that more than anything is what destroys the enemy plan, though skimming through the TV finale I had forgotten quite how different it is in that regard and don't have time on a work morning to rewatch it and evaluate how it fits with these themes.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I'm admittedly someone who loved TV Delta, but I think that people would have a much higher opinion of Delta if the movie was the original version because it's far better paced, focuses in on Freyja as the lead, and doesn't have time to waste on the stuff that didn't really work in the show.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

So was the original idea for the Wataru uploads that they'd upload ten episodes then jump to the next show?

Because that's actually kind of lovely, not gonna lie.

I feel like from the perspective of the primary audience who watched it as children, putting the first 10 episodes up for free, followed by the first 10 episodes of the sequel, to say "hey, remember this?" and put them in the nostalgic mood to watch the new show and buy the expensive new toys isn't unreasonable; the whole series is available on Blu-ray after all. For us who can't watch the show because there's no subs past 10, it absolutely sucks and I'm disappointed, but it's marketing for a nostalgia revival series.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Go's the best example of what the Getter manga is, being a solid full-length story with a proper ending, but there's other Getter stuff that goes a different way with it.

As someone who started getting into Getter Robo with the Shin vs Neo OVA, I have pretty mixed feelings on Go; it's a good story well told, but between 2/3 of "my" Getter team not sticking around throughout the manga they originated from and not expecting it to get as grim as it did, it was kind of a disappointment when I first read it.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Personally, I don't think that it's bad that Macross Delta took a franchise with this long history of "we fight, but also we can talk, and that means we can coexist... by exposing the outsiders to our culture" and spun a narrative about imperialism from it, but if nothing else the "only PMCs can be trusted" thing Frontier and Delta have going on is definitely kinda weird.

Windermere are presented as sympathetic because they're victims, but condemnable because the only way forward they can see is to impose themselves on outsiders in the same way. It contrasts with Chaos living amidst the Ragnans and taking part in local traditions. The idea that music, even without a magic Protoculture mind control device, can be seen as a weapon because of its historical impact in the setting is something that gets discussed and that Walkure all struggle against. It all fits together pretty well. The amount of time spent on most of the Windermerean cast not really doing anything is absolutely a big weakness of the show - it's one of the many things that makes the movie better than the TV show - but when there are things happening with them, I feel like it works as a part of the whole.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

What the gently caress?

VRV's a Crunchyroll brand, Crunchyroll was bought by Sony, and there's no benefit to propping up the competition when you own Crunchyroll and Funimation.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

As much as I love Macross Delta, the battles doing so little outside of building up the rivals as rivals while happening so often is a huge flaw of the the show. It's one of the biggest things that the movie improves on by virtue of brevity.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Ardeem posted:

I keep meaning to watch more than three episodes of Delta, but then I read stuff like this and it just saps my enthusiasm. Are the movies at least worth tracking down?

The first movie, which is all I can judge since the second hasn't come to Blu-ray yet, has much better pacing than the show and is more focused. It's closer to the show than the Frontier movies or DYRL?, but definitely tells the story to match the format and runtime rather than just being a compilation show; it mainly pulls from the first half of the show since it's more focused on Freyja than Hayate, but it spins that into a better version of the show's climax (in my opinion). It's a little difficult to recommend a movie at Japanese home video prices, but it's definitely the version I'd say to watch, as much as I love the show.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Is Dunbine on any streaming thing ATM?

It's on HIDIVE.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

weird otaku Idol anime with mechs, dark Magical girl anime with mechs, trite effort at a multimedia franchise, respectively.

Granbelm was probably the closest to what i want but dark magical girl was a tired premise for me the moment madoka magica launched a billion imitators.

Super robot shows have always been efforts at multimedia franchises, it's just that instead of phone apps the other media were die-cast and soft vinyl.

Seriously though, genre labels are inherently subjective and there's no way to argue someone out of "that's not what I want". Personally from what I've seen of Granbelm I couldn't argue it's not a super robot show without disqualifying the likes of Star Driver (which is absolutely a super robot show).

As far as full-on classic super robot shows go, we can't forget Shinkalion and Shinkalion Z, aimed at kids with long runs and a movie, they seem like the biggest success of that kind of show in many years.

chiasaur11 posted:

I love Patlabor too, but I feel like loving Patlabor 2's opening scene isn't quite the same thing. Patlabor 2 is very good, don't get me wrong, but it really feels different from the rest of the series, with much less of the office comedy stuff that's Patlabor standard.

I really wish I could like Patlabor 2, but I couldn't stand it for this exact reason. I saw it with a bunch of people at my uni's anime society, knowing it by reputation, and what I got was a masterfully made film that was entirely uninterested in everything I enjoyed about Patlabor. Too good to ignore, but entirely at odds with what came before and not in a way I found compelling.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Delta's great, but a lot of people don't like it. Macross isn't one whole story so you're not missing out on the next chapter by not watching it if it doesn't interest you. I'd recommend giving the Delta movies a shot, they're sharper and 2 movies is less of a time commitment than a show.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Macross 7 has been announced for US home video, so however the restrictions work does not prohibit the way 7 uses original Macross characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Why am I only just now learning about this.

Why does this series have such awful marketing.

Like I get that it's small time in the west but so is a lot of series that I somehow hear about anyway.

There's not exactly much to gain from a marketing push for a series that only has a title, a single visual, and no release date, they will promote it when that promotion can turn into actual viewership and merch sales rather than slightly more posts.