Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If we're talking about short robot anime, I have to recommend New Getter Robo and Shin Mazinger Z. Both are really good adaptations of the classics of mecha anime (Getter Robo and Mazinger, obviously), only 13 and 26 episodes respectively, and absolutely worth the watch. Even moreso as beginnings to their franchises in general, as I have to recommend every time I can the Getter Robo manga. It's long, and it has no ending, but it is wonderful all the way and no adaptation ever really got to the level of epic the manga has.

Can someone just invent necromancy and bring Ken Ishikawa back already, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm enjoying Aquarion Logos but it definitely could be better. Most of the supporting cast doesn't get nearly enough to do, despite actually being pretty cool when they get the spotlight, if it fixed that it could be great. I mean, that and add a Fudou, because it is definitely lacking in Fudou.

Akira is more likable than the terrible duo of Amata and Mikono, if only because nobody takes him seriously. And I mean, he is literally Tendo Souji in a mecha anime, I'm not going to complain about that. Also I really like the route they went with Aquarion proper, with lots and lots of forms and even cute animal forms. Phoenix, bug, rabbit, gryphon, it keeps being unique and neat and I hope that continues forever.

That said I have to seriously wonder how the hell they're adapting that to Super Robot Wars. I'm really curious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not Dave posted:

Also, since I brought up Linebarrels, is the manga of that of any note? I don't know a whole lot about mecha manga beside Five Star Stories and Getter Robo, but don't know if there is much of it out there beside Gundam sidestories and Shin Mazinger Zero, which is certainly something.

I haven't watched the Linebarrel anime so I can't compare, but the manga is really good. As far as I know the anime basically strayed entirely from what the manga did, and honestly it sounds less interesting. The manga is great though, and well worth the read. That said, the translation is...slow.

About Aquarion Logos, since that was said by other people, I'm still amazed of how much I'm enjoying it. I expected to really dislike it because it was going its own way after two series that followed the same timeline (and an OVA that united them despite doing nothing with that concept, still pretty good though). The heavy focus on Akira and ignoring the other characters didn't help much either, and the change in small details (a non-Akino OP, two-Vector Aquarion) only made me wonder why they even bothered calling it Aquarion (despite Kou being similar to Solar/Evol and the Mugenken). But I kept watching because Akira was fun and the series seemed to have some potential and it definitely lived up to it, it's gotten really good. Well worth the watch, with the really cool way they're using Aquarion (using non-humanoid forms will always get me happy) and how the other characters actually got to exist and interact with the plot. And the latest episode was amazing with using every form one after the other, really really cool.

Please keep being good, Logos. And be ridiculously broken in SRW, like your predecessors.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I agree. It was a fun episode, and all the Hayato scenes were gold. The dreams scene for being a rather brutal takedown of the usual "dreams can do anything" attitude, and the dad scene for just being heartwarming.

Also next episode will finally start the second part of the plot, considering the end of this one. And I seriously want to know how the hell Subete managed to make Aquarion with a single Vector.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gyra_Solune posted:

Dorvack's actually in X-Omega...think it's some sort of special thing alongside Albegas and Code Geass OZ.

Code Geass OZ just made me think of a crossover between Code Geass and Gundam Wing. And now I really want it to be true, because adding that much insanity together can only yield awesome results.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's what happens when you give the most batshit anti-hero versions of Ryoma and Hayato a Mazinger and play it absolutely straight.

It fails at using all its plot points due to its short running time, but it is very much worth a watch anyways. Plus Legend of Kaiser is awesome.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I'll miss Aquarion Logos. It took a while to grow on me but it definitely did. This episode was really good, and I was caught off-guard by the fact that it isn't the finale, because it sure felt like it. Subete regressing to his non-evil personality and just clashing with Akira was hilarious, even moreso with Maya's reactions. Aquarion Logos Genesis was pretty cool, and the amount of references to the original Aquarion were unexpected and neat, even using Sousei no Aquarion in-series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What was that Mazinger in the PV? I've never seen it before. I know it's from the Shin Mazinger Zero manga (hell, Kouji even calls it Zero) but...it definitely hasn't appeared in the part of the manga that's translated. As slowly as the translations are coming out.

It looks cool as hell.

Also I have no idea why they're using Shin Mazinger yet having Mazinger use the moves that never appeared in that adaptation, but I guess it isn't a bad thing. Especially if it'll just get replaced down the road with Zero anyways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shin Mazinger Zero is honestly only unpleasant and gross at the very beginning, with some scenes that I admit are really unneccesary, but once it gets out of the first reality and into the "Koji is a cyborg" reality it gets a lot better. I wish the rest got translated, but Dynamic Pro Scans dies every so often then comes back suddenly only to die again for months and months...it's like reading Hunter x Hunter.

Also Ishikawa dying before Getter Robo was finished is the single worst thing in the history of mecha. None of the Getter adaptations are remotely as good as the manga, which is forever incomplete.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Eureka Seven movie trilogy announced.

I know this should make me happy but after the last time we had an Eureka Seven movie, not to mention the horrible sequel, I kind of don't want anyone to ever do anything with E7 again. Nothing apart from the original series was good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lepecard posted:

Was Eureka AO really that bad?

Never had the chance to watch it yet but I hear so many mixed reviews.

Let me put it in the easiest way I can: it's a series whose main moral is that the previous series' main moral was completely wrong and its big bad was actually right all along.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only bad part of the Getter Robo manga in general is that we'll never get an ending, because it was too perfect and something had to go wrong. In most cases, it's just a bad arc, here it was the death of the author.

I still wish for one full adaptation of the manga, someday. With the ending written by Ken Ishikawa's ghost, brought back from the dead through dark rituals. Whatever sacrifices this takes will be very much worth it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, there's a new Mazinger manga? What's it about? Is it about Dr. Hell, here looking like a regular person and not like someone who is blatantly the villain of the show?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Muffinlord posted:

I was going to watch Linebarrels of Iron next but I did an episode of that and I don't think I'll be going back unless someone can convince me it gets way better. I think I'm gonna watch Gasaraki next, because being moderately confused really beats hating everything that's going on.

Read Linebarrels of Iron. Do not watch Linebarrels of Iron.

The manga is good, I've heard nothing but bad things about the anime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

I wish someone would animate Shin Mazinger Zero :(

I'd settle for the manga getting translated at this point, really.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nate RFB posted:

I should probably rewatch Nadesico, I always just remember this one sequence about a third of the way through that really soured me on the main heroine. I never saw the movie because no one seemed to like it.

You're happier that way, believe me. No one deserves to watch Prince of Darkness.

If I was able to remove two mecha series from history, they'd be Prince of Darkness and Eureka Seven AO.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saying it happens "10 years after the show" is hilariously worthless for Mazinger. What show? Does it take Great Mazinger and Grendizer as canon? Mazinkaiser? Hell, Zero?

There's like a million continuities that branch out of each other if they aren't on their own to begin with.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Maybe it'll get an anime adaptation someday. If we're brave enough, that is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Watch Voltron.

Seconded. It's technically not anime, being a western production and all, but Voltron: Legendary Defender is still a really good mecha anime and well worth the watch.

I have no idea how it compares to older GoLion/Voltron shows because I haven't watched any and all my GoLion knowledge comes from Super Robot Wars W, but it's a very good show on its own anyways, since it has no actual connection to the other shows.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KoldPT posted:

I think I'm just gonna buy the PS4 SRW instead of watching anything :v:

thanks for the recommendations though!

Probably not a bad idea, SRW V looks great. I definitely want it, although I need to find some way to get Singapore codes to buy it, if I understood correctly.

Kingtheninja posted:

Every time new voltron episodes come out, Im more and more impressed with the world building they do.

Agreed. The first season felt a bit weak to me, but still enjoyable, but goddamn from the very beginning of the second it just got amazing and never stopped. There's just a lot of thought put into the universe at large and I love it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

V is an extremely solid standalone SRW. The only thing that makes me feel like it's not the current perfect beginner SRW is that if they don't continue with anytime Spirits, it may spoil new players who don't know how you're usually meant to use them.

I'm not sure which SRW I'd put as the perfect beginner one. OG was my first (being, you know, in English and all) and it definitely worked for me, it's simple enough without having any weird mechanics that never appeared again, but at the same time it's a bad entry for fans that want to see their favourite mecha shows together for obvious reasons.

W could be a good entry point, I guess, although using parts for skills instead of learning them with points might be a bit confusing when the player moves on to a different game. Still, it's a simple enough game, with enough broken as hell units to make it easy to go through (hi, Valcazard, GaoGaiGar, Tekkamen, thanks for playing the game for me), not to mention how it's very well-written. I guess this'd be the best entry point for me, although with the obvious need of either knowing Japanese or having guides around (Brunom's LP, for instance, which made me like W a lot more thanks to knowing what was going on).

StrixNebulosa posted:

G-Reco is probably the best gundam show in the entire franchise, or at least one of the prettiest. I love it a whole lot!

Writing-wise, it has quite a few issues, so I wouldn't call it the best in the franchise. That said, it sure is pretty. I don't think anyone can deny that. All the small touches, even in background characters, show a lot of effort from the animators.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Light Gun Man posted:

Hell even the previous Voltron cartoon would be interesting in SRW, as it had extra units and the strange option of forming Voltron with different lions as the core for different forms. It's like the perfect :regd08: for the combining/transforming function.

This is the main reason why I want Aquarion Logos at some point in SRW. For all the flaws that show had (and it was not lacking in those, though I found it enjoyable regardless) having a bunch of different Aquarion forms combined from different Vector choices and sometimes even the same but reversed was neat as hell and I also see it as something really hard to adapt to how SRW works, so I'm super interested about what Banpresto would do with that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RubberLuffy posted:

I finished Shin Mazinger, which was good, ending was kind of a bummer, i want that sequel. I then watched GR Armageddon, which was really good, although it had some real wtf moments (like them seeing the wormhole in the last episode and immediately being like "we must go there and fight eternally". ummm how do you know that)

It's less "know" and more "want". It's what happens when your team is made out of sociopaths, of course they will be at their happiest in endless bloodshed, and they're given the chance to have exactly that. They won't say no.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thanks to Brunom's SRWL LP, I started watching Gaiking. I'm by episode 13, and the series is really good at showing why Daiya shouldn't have used Face Open.

By that I mean that the animation quality went to poo poo in a series that wasn't particularly well-drawn to begin with. It's too powerful, it destroys the budget.

EDIT: Okay, it actually channels all that budget into fight scenes. That was a really drat good fight. But the rest of the episode was still really ugly and I nearly skipped it due to that, and it would've been a mistake.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 31, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SlowBloke posted:

Today in :italy: we had a limited theatrical release of Mazinger Infinity, I went to see it. Are you guys interested in an effortpost about it? tl:dr it was awful.

That's disappointing but I'm interested as to why it is, so please post.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why is the idol episode a two-parter?

Why is this by far the best drawn part of the series?

Why are these hippos not here all the time, they're greatly improving animation quality and they're cute and good!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just finished Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu. Very good show, I enjoyed it a lot.

So when's the space sequel with adult Daiya whose voice has not broken at all?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Star Driver is one of those anime that I have in my list of "must watch" but haven't gotten to do it yet.

Maybe I could do it now, having finished Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu (Gaiking was very good by the way)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll fourth Shin Mazinger, but for the love of god, start on episode 2. Episode 1 is a mindscrew that doesn't make any sense even after watching the entire series and it's ignored completely by the rest.

Beyond that, the original manga is fully translated as is the Great Mazinger one but they've not aged well. You can read them, but at least I didn't find anything too interesting in them. I guess that's your fate when you started the entire genre.

tsob explained Mazinkaiser SKL very well but I actually do recommend it, because it's three episodes long so it won't take much of your time and it's hyper-violent as hell and it rocks. It has no story and when it tries to have it it does nothing with it (what was the point of the cloning thing again) but most of the time it's just pointlessly violent and that's very fun. Not as good as Shin though.

Shin Mazinger also has a manga...err...it also has a manga of nearly the same name but absolutely no connection with in Shin Mazinger Zero, which has far more fanservice and weird moments than it probably should but it also has a very good story and artwork. Sadly, the translation team seems to have completely died so I can't recommend it at least until someone else continues.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I think Shin Mazinger Zero would be my favorite Mazinger anything if the translation ever got finished. Like yeah its horribly violent and perverted (Sometimes in the same panel), but both of those aspects are very Go Nagai to me, and I like Zero's weird riffs on the Mazinger storyline from what I saw of it.

Agreed. It's amazing even with the perversion and hyperviolence (and c'mon, perversion and violence are not exactly out of place in a Nagai work!) and the only bad thing is how the translation team completely died.

Someone really needs to pick that up. Any goons that are into manga translation? I'd help but I don't know a lick of Japanese or cleaning or...anything. Most I know is giant robot lore and even there I'm sure there's people here that are far beyond me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

I remember the first season of that being solidly OK. Nothing terrible, nothing super-special. Does it step up its game from there?

The second season takes more risks and is a lot better. Afterwards it kind of loses itself trying to appeal to the fandom, but it's still enjoyable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guyver posted:

Anyway I liked Voltron as a kid so I'll check that out. But looking at Netflix holy poo poo there's a new Devilman.

Two of them and one had Cyborg 009.

It's obviously not a robot series but I fully recommend Devilman Crybaby, it was very enjoyable as my first Devilman and it got me into the manga.

And then I kind of stopped, I really need to get back on that. Not having a full Violence Jack translation stopped me, but I could just read another Devilman thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some of those comparisons are way too good.

And the others are of anime I did not watch so I can't say.

The Big O one especially just loving slayed me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/sdshamshel/status/993173794998116352

I really hope this gets translated and, especially, adapted into anime format, it sounds so good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

I'm one of the people who really Blade but the show honestly drags rear end really hard in the beginning and I can't really blame anyone for bouncing off it. It takes a while before there's payoff.

That said, the payoff is amazing and absolutely worth the time invested. Few series have gotten me to cry, but there's one episode of Blade that genuinely had me in tears and didn't need any sort of immediate violence or threat to do so. I fully recommend suffering through Blade's early-game to enjoy Blade's amazing ending.

...wait, are we talking about Tekkaman or Kamen Rider here? Because I just realized that I could say the exact same thing about both.

All of that said...

tsob posted:

I have literally never seen another person recommend Tekkaman Blade without doing so specifically because of the grim personal drama and/or quality animation; all of which is apparently in the back half of the show. No-one I've seen recommend it has even mentioned the antics of the first half in any capacity.

Even in the backend of the show the animation is still terrible and whoever told you it gets good lied to you. Few moments are great, and it's mostly off-model, off-colour, and genuinely the worst part of the show. You just learn to ignore it because you're focused on the plot, characters, and sometimes excellent background music.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

Boom, right there, the writer of the show saying that they didn't resolve the love triangle.

What do you mean? That clearly states they did!

Alto x Sky OTP.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like Fafner and I'm glad it's not dead, even if it means more suffering because Heaven and Earth was the happiest place to end it yet it kept going.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

I'm glad we're getting a continuation considering how Exodus ended.

Oh, absolutely. Exodus was too depressing an end to leave it there, even for Fafner. It was also by far the most "yes, we're continuing from here" ending of the series too, considering it leaves the Tatsumiya Island residents with one big mission, recover said island alongside the people left behind, beyond the usual "get humanity and Festum to live together despite the latter getting more and more aggresive every season" which seems it'll never actually happen beyond specific cases like Misao and a couple of Mirs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Light Gun Man posted:

Read the whole saga if you can, it's a wild ride.

Yeah, this. Besides, it's a series, you shouldn't randomly start from one part, best as it may be. The original manga isn't even that long, and even if it isn't impressive it's definitely still very readable, same goes for G, and then you have Go which is great, and Shin and Arc which are pretty good too. Getter Robo not having a proper ending is so sad.

Has anyone read the spinoff by the Linebarrels people, Devolution? How was/is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

Well, Bones has hosed Eureka 7 completely

If what I've been told is correct, the setting for the new movies is "Every ending is non-canon. Manga, Special, TV, spinoffs. All non-canon. The canon Timeline is that Eureka accidentally kills Renton while piloting the Nirvash. So she's basically been trying to create illusions for herself while being the command cluster of the Scub Coral. Basically using the Coral to create "dreams" for herself to escape in where she can be happy."

I hope that isn't true, but well... bones.

I'm not sure why you posted a completely blank post, but I sure am glad Eureka Seven never got anything beyond the first series and its appearance in Super Robot Wars Z.