Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hmm, it's just one interface aesthetic, not one per ideology, right? Would be kind of cool with different skins.

CK2's different interface skins for different cultures/religions is really cool, yeah. All Paradox games should steal that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

BgRdMchne posted:

Have they put the Vicky patch on pastebin or somewhere yet for people with the GamerGate version?

Nah, they want to QA it first or something*. There's an unofficial upload here though.

*I am hoping for another round of fixes, actually, because I spent yesterday hacking together a crude fix for the population growth model before discovering that the population_growth modifier is hosed. :eng99:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: I will say that I don't like the ship designs at all. The aesthetic is very generic.

I'm getting a distinct Gallente vibe from the ones in these shots, actually. Lots of flowing curves with green/turquoise highlights next to bare steel.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

"There were a lot of complaints last time that we were playing too fast, so now we're going to be playing on speed 1"

:stonklol:

You monsters, what did you do?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lord Tywin posted:

It's also quite hilarious since Jakob's plan was to ally the Soviets :allears:

Turns out you can't take that focus unless you're at peace.

e: Oh man, they hit December and German manpower just evaporates :swoon:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 27, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fuligin posted:

They seem to be moving pretty steadily on Moscow, though. I have no idea why he didn't just assign enough divisions to make the Swedish invasion a done deal in the first place though.

I think he felt he had a rep to live up to. Mouth writing cheques etc etc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It's kind of an endless march to China, isn't it? Like, India exists because it makes Persia and Central Asia more relevant and makes the simulation better. So naturally to make India more relevant and accurate, you need to have Tibet and China.

India didn't have a whole lot to do with China tbh. There's a whole lot of mountains and jungle and even more rugged mountains between the two.

It's Mongolia that can't do without China.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TTBF posted:

Those games do have earth, low earth orbit, and earth's gravity well as three separate maps that can be traveled between and I doubt EU4 can be modded into that.

If you just need separate maps and travelling between them (and not have to have the different maps operate in different ways) then it'd be pretty easy to hack together with a clever layout and straits.

The real reason no one bothers making fantasy/sci fi TC mods for EUIV the way they do for CK2 is that, well, EU's systems are really great at talking about geopolitical movements on centennial scales, a thing that very few (none?) of these settings are about, but have basically nothing to say about the things they actually are about- like, say, individual people and their relationships with other people. You can try to get around that with the events, but that's a bit like trying to build a chocolate factory by painting a drawing of a chocolate factory on a lion.

A Gundam mod for EUIV is going to end up being EUIV with a weird map and maybe your cavalry regiments are called gundam squads now.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Paradox bought the WoD IP last year.

I think he means have they talked about doing anything with it yet.

Waiting for Obsidian's take on Demon: the Descent, myself. :toot:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Trogdos! posted:

So, 1. Paradox will develop Victoria 3 after they get a "champion" to lead the project. 2. Groogy posted "Vicky is Mine, Podcat's and Wiz favorite game" a month ago when they released the christmas V2 patch. 3. Wiz is transferred to a new pdx project he can't talk about.

I want to believe.

Victoria's the next franchise up for a sequel, too. I think it's a fairly to moderately safe bet, unless Rome 2 is suddenly back on the table.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Have we seen the UK national focus tree in any of the dev diaries or interviews or whatever?

WWW has featured Britain fairly heavily (though it focuses primarily on Germany, for some reason). I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there's your standard research/nuke, diplomatic manoeuvring and rearmament branches, and a "reinforce the empire" branch which I think has you building industry and fortifications in the dominions/other colonial areas.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Schizotek posted:

Because the British player is doing nothing but getting ready for an Invasion that hasn't happened yet and Germany is balls deep in Russia?

Maybe! :argh:

Though the Russian campaign is really dull actually and babyface Rommel spends most of his time explaining how the division designer works for the fifth/sixth/seventh time.

Johan's got to be up to something that keeps him too busy to micro his African front properly.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

How the gently caress does Wardell still have bridges to burn?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Also, there's a difference between Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio.

They didn't split until after SOTS 2 came out, as it happens.

But yeah, Paradox had picked up a reputation for terrible buggy releases purely on their own merits, SOTS had nothing to do with it.

Hell, some of those old games are still hosed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kavak posted:

CCP wanted to branch out in the early aughts, but never quite managed to do anything but waste money and the property.

One day I will be able to leave my captain's quarters. One day. :unsmith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Oldest one I got is a few patches in, since Austria was colorchanged to white, but it's the best I got:

I think this is probably a mod. I don't think France has ever been Bleu de France in vanilla.

This is a thing I am invested enough in this game series to know :negative:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

Also, on release capitalists had insane demands for resources. Luxuries could never be satisfied, which made them pissed. So pissed they'd revolt to change your government in the vain attempt to fix the problem. Except no matter how free market you were, no matter how anarcho-liberal (pseudo libertarian?) you were, you could never solve their insatiable hunger for more. So they kept revolting, even though they were getting their way. Massive waves of revolts rocked western countries all over the globe. The game was pretty broken on that front. It was later patched, but it gave players even more incentive to hate capitalists.

I don't remember that.

What I do remember is that, at release, there were no limits on who could assimilate. Meaning that, by 1900 or so, the entirety of the Indian subcontinent would go British. One billion primary-culture POPs makes for a hell of a lot of industry :catstare:

Also Victoria is actually good and fun and I will greet the third instalment with joy, good cheer and a primal lust for wildly overdesigned economic simulations. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 11, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

b0lt posted:

paradox interactive announces that they're publishing sword of the stars 3

The sad thing is that, even after all the bullshit, I'd probably still take a chance on a SotS 3.

Just, loving, roll me up a SotS 1 with rad modern graphics and a radder combat engine. That's all we need here. Maybe drop the whole trade thing, that was a terrible mechanic.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

slavatuvs posted:

Well, the Yugoslavian partisans were like 800,000 strong at their peak, don't know how many divisions that would be.

The number of men in a division varies, but I think it's 10k~20k per? So 60ish divisions?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

Invading Canada and toppling the Royalists once and for all is the endgame for the Union of Britain, yeah.

Uhh. Spreading the revolution to the entire world is the endgame for Britain, thank you very much. :colbert:

Nova Scotia is just the first stop on the road to Tierra del Fuego

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Britishness is suffering :saddowns:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah, I never understood why did it that way. It's really frustrating if you're not a major power.

I think Britain and Germany were the only nations that had battalions recruit from one specific area, and even they switched to a common pool method in WWI because they were realized they were wiping out the male population of entire towns.

If I remember right they wanted to have casualties inflict population reduction on the specific pop they were raised from. It's a cute idea, but it didn't really gain us anything and the problems it introduced were pretty major. Vicky 1 has a global manpower pool (segregated by culture) and it works perfectly fine.

I tried to dig up the original DDs and see what the reasoning actually was, but it looks like those threads don't exist any more. :saddowns:

Bitter Mushroom posted:

vicky 1 is better than vicky 2, because you can actually interact with the pops. Granted I'm no great shakes at victoria 2 but I don't understand how you get more soldiers. Although I really like the crisis system

Sir, I regret to inform you that you are a lunatic

Manual pop management was:

a) A micromanagement nightmare. The mother of all micromanagement nightmares.
b) Not actually interesting gameplay! All that work and not a single meaningful decision to be found.
c) Nonsense. So, what, you cart a couple wagonloads of paper down to the slums and suddenly everyone's clerks now?

Don't even get me started on pop splitting. :shepicide:

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

My problem is V2 with HoD was my entrance to Paradox games so EU4 feels sort of soulless in comparison. It feels more like I'm playing a Pantone color than a nation.

corn in the bible posted:

Absolutely my feeling as well. V2 (and CK2, albeit in a different way) is about being a world leader rather than... whatever you are in eu games. The will of the nation? The fact you can't possibly account for everything is to its benefit.

Thats also why I like Power and Revolution though that's not a pdox game of course

:yeah:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Scrree posted:

the faction leader of the Allies, the United States.

what fresh heresy is this

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

I can't imagine the AI in HOI3 ever doing a naval invasion

Have we all forgotten the good old days of HOI3 release when AI Mexico successfully invaded Germany?

I'm still pumped for HOI4, despite feeling that Stellaris was a pretty weak offering.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Drone posted:

Paradox games have a reputation for buggy releases. Every time, Paradox fans think it's going to be better, and when the releases still come out buggy, they get themselves all worked up over their dreams being smashed, etc.

Paradox games also have a reputation for being iterated upon and turning from mediocre launch games into fantastic games around 6 months to a year later.

CK2 and EU4 genuinely were better. There seems to be some bizarre revisionism going on at the minute where they were as bad as CK1 or EU3 on release. And, well, hahaha I remember the EU3 release you fucks. Hell, Vae Victus and Deus Vult still have more and more serious bugs than CK2 has ever had.

To be honest, Stellaris isn't that bad for bugs. There were/are a couple of pretty serious ones that impacted play experience (passive AI, sectors ignoring development restrictions), but the real problems with Stellaris have nothing to do with bugs and everything to do with the fundamental design of the game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Drone posted:

I don't think you understand what fundamental design means.

Well then that was my mistake, because what I meant was

Drone posted:

it came out half-baked and there's a bunch of poo poo missing.

Though there are features in there that have no business existing. Everything to do with tile management, for instance.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

What's wrong with tile management?

I won't claim there aren't any problems, but what are your personal issues with it?

It's a) a lot of micro, b) not interesting and c) almost completely delegated to the sector AI unless you're a masochist with a fetish for min-maxing.

The big headline problem is that it doesn't create interesting gameplay. Once you leave the (very) early game, minerals stop being a limiting factor, so the only choice is "do I want energy or research more right now". The sector development focus buttons are about the maximum level of detail the player needs to plan on, but actually implementing that plan requires a lot of uninteresting busywork, either on the player's part or the sector AI's.

And I'm a big Victoria fan so, y'know, if I think a system serves no purpose beyond tying up CPU cycles then something is probably wrong. It doesn't even function as a simulation.

Panzeh posted:

I don't think Stellaris is fundamentally terribly interesting. In fact it's a very rote copy of other space 4x games in many many ways but done worse. Yes, there are random species but it doesn't amount to much- the bonuses aren't terribly significant one way or the other and most of them tend to not be very interesting anyway. The sector mechanics are a bad fix for the problem they have, the combat is uninteresting, the diplomacy doesn't work that well, the AI is bad, and the game is super easy.

Species generation is something I actually like. It's true, the traits don't amount to much and I'd much prefer a game where different races played in radically different ways, but the species creator and genetic engineering are where I've had the most fun with the game. I like that they've at least tried to keep traits big and chunky and discrete, even if it doesn't really work.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

double nine posted:

I haven't kept up with the HOI4 pre-release content - what issues are you talking about?

AI's got a problem with prioritising fronts. Groogy says this is a pretty common way for it to break and they usually fix it pretty quickly, so :shrug:

Might be some other problems, I haven't been following the game closely either.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah I remember there being some pretty bad but interesting looking game I saw on the LP forum once where you play as one of a selection of empires in various time periods and you won by essentially getting hosed over slightly less badly than in actual history.

I get the impression that it was an adaptation of a weird board game but my memories are extremely hazy on this in general, I just liked the idea of "success by not losing so hard".

This wasn't Great Invasions by any chance, was it?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is how accessible is HoI 4? I wasn't smart enough to play HoI 2 and I skipped out on the third game entirely. Can the fourth be picked up and played reasonably well if I am familiar with other paradox games but am a straight up hearts of iron baby?

HOI4 is an gloriously overcomplicated, impenetrable mess even for HOI vets. It's the least boardgamey game Paradox have put out in ages and I love it. It gives me a lot of hope for V3.

But yeah, go for it. Is what I want to say. What couldn't you get about 2? That one was pretty straightforward compared to later iterations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

My first game has been playing as Ireland. I have no idea how to get the airplanes into the actual air, so I've just been building them and shipping them over to the British so that my subs can dodge them as they sink to the bottom of the English channel.

You gotta a) create a wing in an airbase b) give that wing a region to be active in c) tell that wing what mission you want them to do from that region's interface.

There may or may not be an easier way to do this because there seem to be a lot of alternate workflow paths in this UI and I have spent a lot of time working out air's kinks.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Gort posted:

I would've thought Hearts of Iron 4 would've blown Stellaris out of the water on sales.

Why would you think a hardcore grog game would outsell a space 4X?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

HOI4 is ludicrously complex compared to just about everything else in the strategy genre. It might not exactly plumb the ultrapelagic depths of grogdom like War in the Pacific or whatever the gently caress, but it's far more grog than what most people are prepared to deal with

Historical is also a much more niche genre than sci-fi. Much more. We're not comparing EU and HOI here, we're comparing Sudden Strike to Starcraft.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I considered it, but HOI is further down the grog scale than COH.

My choice of Sudden Strike is FINELY CALIBRATED, PROBABLY :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't Stellaris likewise be further down the grog scale, possibly making the CoH vs. Starcraft comparison valid?

Nah, Stellaris is hilariously basic.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

stopppppppppppppppppppppppp V2 borders kill me

It's Clio's fault, I think. A lot of those borders are precisely the actual contemporary internal borders of the states of the time, which makes everything very neat and pretty so long as sticks exactly to history with no deviations, but means a lot of the provinces are these bizarre, stretched-out spindly things with insane adjacency graphs. I like my border fjords more than probably anyone on earth, but you need to keep that poo poo on the micro scale. On the macro scale, you want provinces to be as close to perfect hexagons as humanly possible or the border gore gets stupid fast.

The other 40% of the problem is the "can only take entire states" rule. You ever had a game where China loses Tannu Tuva to Russia, then gets it back later on? :stonklol:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

b0lt posted:

it's better than all of the other space 4xes

Now there's a bar so low you could ski over it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

one really good game

Whoa whoa whoa hey. Two really good games, mister.

Just because Witcher 3 came along and carried the bar for "really good" over the hill and out of sight doesn't mean 2 isn't still a great game. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Man Musk posted:

Yup, it was just an example, should have clarified. The Nobility one just popped up so wasn't sure if it was a theme across the different classes or whatevs. Still, I'm not sure if I should be treating these events mechanically or as some sort of weird RP where I can get something down the line that rewards me for sacrificing ___ tech.

Anyone remember those little buttons in CK1 that controlled the relative power of nobles/priests/burghers/peasants? And the events that popped every so often telling you that because you were such a chill dude your country was turning into a peasant paradise (with a terrible army, because acting like a feudal rear end in a top hat unambiguously gave you the best force comp)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fascist Babylonia is the raddest poo poo :eyepop: