Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
shameful op

how can you make this thread without their loving facebook cover photo in the op

e: "And world of Warcraft had worse issues on a brand new expansion launch have you guys even played a mmo? This is the norm it was also expected. Self entitled brats do any of you even understand IT??? Obviously not and just want everything perfect. Welcome to the real world."

"Complainers: you're being given a drat good game to play for free, and nine and a half hours in the servers being utterly inundated and unable to handle all that traffic, should not be a surprise to anyone. I absolutely love first world problems, where people complain about something they get for free. Now if people paying for a subscription are getting knocked out, well that's just bullshit."

"I´m honestly a bit disappointed that for someone who has been with Wildstar since closed beta and all the way until now, there isnt some kind of "special queue" where we (the subs) could get into the game before f2p-players do. I couldnt get in for the past 24 hours or so....thats kind of sad."

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Tabletops posted:

this is... kind of true. WoD was a loving festival of failure for the first few days after launch.

Yeah it is. I don't know their beta numbers but I'm guessing it wasn't on par with the people actually wanting to get in, and that they severely underestimated the interest in the game and likely missed poo poo that would've come from an actual stress test.

Rookie error, but the thing is the game had already been out a year and they had the same mistake when they first launched. At least they didn't overprepare and have too many drat servers like some other MMOs.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bombogenesis posted:

I legitimately wanted to play this game again in the hopes that it had gotten better. A friend reminded me of interrupt armor, and now I don't want to play anymore. Then they mentioned Whitevale and I'm just sitting here wondering what I'm doing with my life.

Interrupt Armor has mostly been stripped of everything but dungeon end bosses and raid bosses. They realized 'yeah this was bullshit' so most dungeon trash and questing monsters shouldn't have it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

What did the multi-month F2P beta actually accomplish? I was expecting the relaunch to have significant issues, but this even more chaotic than I guessed.

It mostly tested out some of the new features and changes; it wasn't a stress test by a long shot, which is what they REALLY needed. I didn't see a lot of people in my time in the beta but it seems like more people were interested in it after F2P hit than they were in trying out how F2P was gonna feel.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

loquacius posted:

I swear to God this poo poo wasn't this much of a trainwreck last summer, what happened

Is it because they fired all the devs and outsourced maintenance or what?

They made some pretty big changes that sincerely were not stress tested. Yeah they had a stress test before the F2P launch with the then-current live build, but the F2P build added and changed enough poo poo that I'm sure the server is just going 'lol what'

I mean, everyone is moving faster now, everyone has login poo poo that is being tracked now, you are getting newbie areas getting hammered, more currencies per character.. I wouldn't be surprised if characters vanishing was because they couldn't find some call or something to a new thing on the character and so they assumed the entire character file isn't there.

But I'm not a programmer (most I've done is work with Deku, ROM, and SMAUG) so I'm basing this entirely off of an ill-conceived notion of how poo poo works.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

loquacius posted:

See, these are all the kind of thing that professional engineers should be able to see coming ahead of time

But they fired all those people and outsourced game maintenance to who I guess are a bunch of complete incompetents

Exactly. But I also think they severely underestimated the response to coming back to F2P. Really, a lot of balls dropped here.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

is this as incredible™ as the WoW general forums and gamefaqs claim? Have carbine truly learned from their mistakes and crafted a superior tapestry of an mmorpg?

Scoop or poop, folks?

The game HAS improved from what I've seen and played, and doesn't have as much bullshit as it used to have, but at the end of the day it is just another MMO. It does have the Burning Crusade feel to it, and whether that's a plus or not is up to you.

If you didn't like Wildstar because of bullshit like sprinting and interrupt armor and some of the other ridiculous HARDCORE bullshit, and that was the only thing keeping you from enjoying it, then yeah you might like it better now. It's still Carbine and they're still learning, but they HAVE learned on some levels and listened to input outside of their rabid fans; just some of those lessons may have come too little too late.

Mind if you disliked it for any of its other core gameplay, like the combat system and the art style, then you're going to want to just pass on by. They've simplified some of the game but at its heart it's still an action MMO where you have to dodge enemy attacks and combat takes multiple rotations, just now you don't have to worry about interrupt armor (and at the same time, don't get the bonus damage from the interrupt armor break.)

But the zones are the same, they've only added a handful of dungeons; on the flip side, they have spread out their dungeons and such so it's not all clumped together at higher level, so you have more you can do across the levels. Tradeskills have been simplified, their rune system has been simplified, and in general loot has been rebalanced and made more intuitive, and upgrades can come more often. They still have too many stats and some classes still feel chunky, but that likely isn't going to change.

Cythereal has the right of it, except it's been IMPROVED into just being mediocre. Before it was pretty well butts. I think once the servers stabilize and they get a steady income and steady players who aren't all rabid, diehard shitheels then it might be able to grow more. But if you're looking for another [insert your favorite MMO here] then you're not likely to find it with Wildstar.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

How are the dungeons? That's kind of a maker or breaker for me, I like to try raids if possible but I mostly do dungeons. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to WoW because I have so much fun leveling new classes in dungeon finder. I couldn't get into Guild Wars 2 because of the (IMO) awful, bland dungeons.

I honestly might give this a try. I tried downloading EQ2 because I wanted to try something kinda different from WoW, maybe a bit more hardcore in the vein of BC or Vanilla, but my computer just wouldn't run it well for some reason. I got several classes to cap in FFXIV but the game just left such a sour taste in my mouth. I know people here swear by it and love it but it just felt like WoW without cartoony graphics and slightly worse combat.

v:shobon:v I haven't had a chance to try many of them, but I liked what little I saw. I know the shiphands are pretty good; they're like what scenarios in MoP were, if you played during that era of WoW. The initial tutorial dungeon got made fun of in the last thread, and rightly so, but I dunno if it's applicable anymore since a lot of poo poo has been toned down.

Wildstar has dungeons (self-explanatory), shiphands (again, scenarios from MoP), and adventures (kinda like guildhests from FF14? maybe?). The first handful I got to try even before the F2P were pretty good, but I didn't get to try them in the F2P beta. With the server issues going on I haven't tried to get on and check them out. I know one of the first adventures you get involves a sort of DotA like thing where you have to push to an enemy base and help out your NPCs and all that; it was pretty fun. And the first shiphand has you jumping in low gravity and killing hundreds of weak rear end goblins to a little 1950's style sci-fi story, complete with the jaggy font and a cheesy title.

Dungeons are pretty straight forward, but adventures and shiphands tend to have more gimmicks and different playstyles and themes to them. I think highest I got on my free month was about 20 or so, and they hadn't shifted a lot around by then; I think the first dungeon pre-F2P changes was 25 or so, and first adventure was 15. Not 100% sure how much that has changed.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

kaxman posted:

I thought the bonus damage was from interrupting a cast-time ability. The interrupt armor was just there to make it require multiple abilities and/or players to get to the "your interrupt spell actually interrupts the ability." For what you said to be true they would have had to remove cast-time abilities from all the mobs or changed the way moments of opportunity worked.

Oh duh, I misremembered that feature. You're completely right; it was interrupting an ability and stunning them from it that gave the damage boost.

Stanley Pain posted:

They're probably on rotational disks instead of SSDs too because SSDs aren't hardcore enough. :engleft:

I'd imagine they're using SAS drives since that seems to be the norm for server hardware nowadays; I'd figure they're hybrid, at least.

Still, who loving knows unless they post what it is themselves. :v: I can easily agree that they've probably got some kind of memory leak, and it's probably linked to all the changes in the character DB.

CoffeeBooze posted:

They seem to be constantly pulling down the servers for unplanned maintenance to fix bugs that arent necessarily game breaking. How the gently caress have they not just setup a daily maintenance window at 5AM every day for the next week or so? As far as I can tell this is to fix a bug with the daily login bonus prompt popping up repeatedly, while this is annoying it isn't something that most organizations would bring servers down for.

As a former IT worker who has worked for companies with utterly incompetent management, this whole relaunch has been very triggering.

I figure it's because they imagine the damage of having a bug persist all day is less than the damage of bringing the servers down immediately when a bug is properly identified. It makes it look like they're on top of their game in regards to fixing bugs, but with as many times as they do it, I think it just worsens their image because it points out they JUST CAN'T FIX IT or THERE'S SO drat MANY.

I also imagine they've got too many cooks in the kitchen working on too many dishes, and Ed's fix for issue X will break Carl's fix for issue Y because they can't deploy the patches to a test server or might not be able to communicate in a timely fashion.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anoia posted:

I think WildStar's teleporting bot problem may have stopped solely because there's no point anymore, just like the guy earlier whose account was hacked and then just abandoned with all the money making stuff on it.

"Gonna sell this gold so hard on BuyWildStarGoldCupcake.com! Gonna make a fuckin' MINT!"

And then a month later he just sighs and cancels his GoDaddy account.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm downloading this game and I blame you all, especially Dyne.

:getin:

The Chairman posted:

"The most badass looking character I've ever had, in any game. Kudos Carbine!"

I love to imagine how these people would've reacted to CoX's character creation if their sad, skinny chick with a fedora and FF7 sword is 'the most badass character' they've ever had.

Their Facebook comments are a goldmine, though, and apparently some people are working on their loving thesis.

quote:

I know this is new for you youngins, but blizzard used to go through this every month in the beginning and they had to patch. Please take a deep breath. Logging into Tera another night or two while they sort this all out isn't gonna kill anyone. They are doing what they can as fast as they can. They sure as hell didn't bust their asses all month so you could be like, "You suck!". Were you playing the game when it was subscription? Were you there in the beginning, happy an MMO came out that wasn't magic and orcs? You want to be angry? Be angry two nations that have nothing to fight over are trying to start a long dead war back up. Be angry that that the Lesser of all the Evils running for president is Donald Trump. Be angry that you will pay back student loans for the rest of your life and not really have gained anything in return. Be angry we are so intent on killing on earth, that we forget we should be trying to live on other planets. Don't be angry you can't play a free game for a day or two. Be happy the game is there at all. Thank them for their 20 hour days, working hard so you play a game. So you might have a chance to forget for a brief second, how horrible a place you live in is. Be happy that instead of thinking about the people who just died while trying to go to school, you have the ability to escape into a game, any game. For free. That is a gift.

quote:

LoL...

All this pissing and moaning. Seriously, if you're that pissed off, stop playing the game, no ones forcing you to login, no ones forcing you to play through issues before they're fixed.

Creating an extra server or 2 to handle the excess stress right now while they work on increasing the current megaservers over all capacity is a good idea because they said they plan to merge it all back again after.

Would you rather they just locked every one out, took the game offline and stop you playing all together while they work on the problem? No... you wouldn't, because then you'd be even more pissed off.

This company has taken 10 years to get their game out and make sure they can offer the best they can, as and when they can.

NO GAME IS PERFECT.

I played EQ way back when, Outspark aka Fiesta, EvE, World of Warcraft, Warhammer, Darkprophecy, Need For Speed World, Forsaken World, Swotr, TERA, WildStar, Neverwinter and a few others, played pretty much all from Beta and through their Live launches. Still play most of them to this day too.

They all had issues at some point, with some having more issues than others, it happens...

Be glad Carbine Studios are putting this amount of effort and thought into it instead of saying: "ok, we're going back to have extra servers permanently".

Think about it...

Most other games have anywhere between half a dozen to a dozen or more realms and this means lots of separate groups of players unless there is a cross realm mechanic as well as LOADS of separate hotfixes and patches needed.
Where as with the megaservers, we're able to play as a COMMUNITY in every sense of the word, with the devs FULL focus on literally being able to give EVERY single player the exact same experience without having to spread the work out and repeating the same process for individual realm problems.

This also allows them a ton more time at working on creating NEW content more regularly.

It's only been a couple days or so since the switch over to F2P, there's gonna be issues, we get that, there's gonna be lag while the system gets all the buggs out, we all know that too.
This isn't anything new, but drat, give the guys a break. If it's been a couple weeks of this already I could understand, but most people are acting like they've never played any other game before...

Welcome to the world of MMO's.

quote:

All these people complaining about game not working and I'm like listening songs on youtube, running xsplit,logged in to facebook, logged in to league while playing wildstart without issues.. try playing on a proper pc rather than your gameboy ffs

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cythereal posted:

Engineer has been working fine for me. They have some weirdly shaped area effects that require positioning, but they play basically like ranged warriors with the option for bringing pets along.

Man I forgot about making an engineer. I played one back in the original beta but got into being a spellslinger in live. They're both really fun classes.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Loose Ifer posted:

Yeah i'm thinking if i ever log back into the game i'm gonna make one. Which server/faction are most people playing on?

I think at the minute there's only two servers, Entity and whatever the PvP one is named; I'm on Entity, and my Spellslinger is an exile. I might make a Dominion Engineer.

e: My spellslinger is Nikolai Volgin, and my Dominion engineer is Hunsworth Hairbeard.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 7, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rexicon1 posted:

You motherfuckers can't seriously be playing this piss-tentacle of a game. Have some decency you abominable rear end-warlocks

Pretty much everyone called it in the last thread. :v: It's not as horrible as it used to be, but it's still at best mediocre.

Still, it's a good time waster. Especially if you get some other people playing so you're not just watching zone chat poo poo the bed and scream at the bed in frustration because there's poo poo in it.

Anoia posted:

Could be worse. Could be Crimson Blade.

Now, if one of you fuckers downloads Crimson Blade and tries to say it's not so bad....

Christ, I've played Star Trek Online and The Secret World so many other medicore F2P games, but that? Even I can't bring myself to download Scarlet Blade, and I've loving played Wizards 101.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't know what scarlet blade is and I can't help but think I'd like to keep it that way.

KaneTW posted:

It's a garbage F2P mmo whose literally only appeal is basically rear end and tits.

One of the images that came up on GIS is a girl with a Final Fantasy sword on a motorcycle in weird anime thong armor that covers the shoulders and arms more than the torso and the camera is right up her rear end.

That summarizes Scarlet Blade pretty well.

I have no idea how it plays but the aesthetic is the kind of thing where you imagine everyone is just sitting idle in the main city in a massive, half-naked anime girl lump, and you don't want your imagination to go any further than that. The character models are actually sort of creepy on some level to me; I think it's the doll-like faces they have. They just seem so lifeless in screenshots.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

Sex sells thats just the reality we live in. Its no different if a girl with big boobs decides to live stream and gets alot of viewers b/c of her bust size. There will always be people who frown upon it, but its not their right to decide what we seek in entertainment. If you don't like certain things in you're entertainment then stay away from it and let others enjoy it. Japan is Japan their culture is handled in a mature way compared to ours. Thats why they make games with fanservice on a daily basis. Its a popular trend in Anime and real life

source your quotes

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Kinda need to give out character names for this. Add me folks and I'll do social hilarity and parade around being awful goons in an awful game. Account name: blowme

Is there some way to add friends by account name rather than per character? I didn't think they had a system for it, even though even loving Cryptic does.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah, and it'd be a pleasant surprise to hear they added some sort of accountwide ID poo poo or that it was always there but no one loving used it.

I mean, I doubt there is one but gently caress it, may as well ask, though it is ridiculous that it doesn't; it's a pretty standard thing these days, it seems.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 9, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

mrbass21 posted:

Yes, it does. I haven't played since the month after release and when the wife and I decided to kill time and make new characters on the PvE realm (our original characters were migrated to the one PvP realm), she was already in my friends list. So that, at least, has been there since launch.

I don't remember how I added her. I'll test out next time I play and let you know.

Well that's cool. I added Manifest Dynasty with that poo poo.

Also, the housing is fun, but it's still got some pretty dumb bugs.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I said come in! posted:

I think the census earlier in this thread was that no one wants to do this because you have to be subscribed.

I think you can buy the rights from the store, or have it from being a previous subscriber? I dunno. Manifest Dynasty made Goon Squad on Entity Exiles.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:magical:

I'd emptyquote this, but the comedy remains either way. Who wants to actually make the guild/a guild for general fuckery? Apparently dynasty isn't playing, or isn't looking at the social tab.

He actually got me into the guild, but I can't invite :v: And apparently, you can't send guild invites from an account friend request, which is the only thing that alerts you, apparently.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DoubleNegative posted:

I glanced at the title of the top post on that subreddit. "I wish I didn't have to say this but please stop reporting posts you personally disagree with as "sexualizing minors."

The gently caress is happening over in bizarroland?

Someone will say 'wildstar is bad' and someone else will report it as sexualizing minors, because they assume the mods don't read anything and will instantly ban the user and delete their post.

Or so I assume.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Tilda posted:

Thinking of giving WS a second shot now its FTP, are we on a server/side somewhere specific?

In spite of the detractors, yeah. There's a handful of us on Entity, on the Exiles side. I don't know if there's anything Dominion side or not, but I doubt it, and I don't think there will be unless Manifest makes something since I think he's the only person actually subscribed right now.

You can add 'Manifest Dynasty' or 'Nikolai Volgin' to get an invite to Goon Squad. The game's improved a fair bit, but it's still Wildstar so if there was something that wasn't just quality of life issues that kept you away, I don't think you'll like it. :v:

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 10, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anatharon posted:

aren't you the first one who called it 'scarlet' instead of crimson blade

that was me :shobon:

Crimson Blade sounded familiar and then I googled it and found out it was Scarlet Blade and it was that creepy titty MMO I had seen ads for on wowhead and lovely wikis.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Somehow they create a snowy underwater sewer level.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have a friend that keeps trying to convince me to download this and try it. He says it's a lot of fun and that some group of people he plays with online is playing it and they don't just download MMOs "willy nilly" (his words). I told him I'm currently trying out Elder Scrolls Online and I have a hard time believing that Wildstar is better than ESO. Is my friend possessed by the devil?

Honestly MMOs are better with friends regardless of what game it is. Unless they're the super grognardy friends who will bury their heads in the sand and ignore anything and everything detracting from the game they're playing and will outpace you on every alt they make to play with you. :v:

Wildstar's improved from what it used to be, and I can't draw comparisons to ESO since I haven't played it, but it's pretty much just a cartoony wild west in space action MMO. I feel it moves at about the same speed as CoX now that some of the quality of life poo poo is in, just without the customization and wide array of power options. The writing is dumb and the humor can be grating, but the score is okay and the shiphands and adventures (which are little chunks of instanced content like the guildhests in FF14) are pretty fun. You probably won't give two shits about why you're going and shooting up bandits for a guy crouched in a cornfield nearby, though.

The one thing I can really drat it for is that once you hit the capital city it becomes much less obvious what the gently caress you're supposed to do to level, because they treat the capital as a quest hub of its own for a small level range, and everything is spread out; there isn't really a breadcrumb trail to get you out of the capital unless you've done a certain amount of poo poo there, and you're also dealing with mini-tutorials and unrelated 'go over here and fart in front of this guy' quests.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Langosta posted:

There aren't enough people playing Wildstar to compete with for nodes, so that's nice I guess.

Actually some level 50 jerk on a hoverboard was zipping around one of the newbie zones, hoovering up the iron nodes.

I do love that if you don't have an attack in your first or second slot then you can't harvest farming nodes, though. I finished healing a dungeon and went to loot some bladevine and it shot my healing lasers at it which did nothing.

Libertine posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else here plays the game or if it's just a 4:1 ratio of people talking poo poo about it to actually playing it.

Probably the latter. There's a handful of goons that are in the usual Goon Squad guild and were on recently, so there's people playing.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Langosta posted:

Did you pick up a mining laser? If you have the right tool, all you need to do is right click on harvesting nodes to collect its rich bounty.

Rhymenoserous posted:

The automatic trade skill quests at level 10 give you a mining laser. I have no clue how you missed it.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Does that work on farming nodes, though? He's talking about poo poo like Pommelgranets and yellowbells that default to your attack to harvest. (At release, you used a totally undocumented basic attack when you right-clicked a farming node.)

Dynasty's got the right of it; I meant the farming nodes, like bladeleaf, yellowbellows, etc, the plants and poo poo you use in cooking and crafting. It uses either your first or your secondary attack when you hit F to harvest, and if neither of them deal damage you just shoot the ability off like a moron and get nothing for it. I had it shoot of Vitality Blast because I guess it was quicker than the one that works like your auto-attack for healing?

Also farming nodes have no documentation that you have to shoot them; hell, it used to be that you couldn't even interact with them like mining nodes and what have you. You just waddled up and hit 1 to hit them and then vacuumed them up. Having a tool equipped doesn't matter, and it didn't then, either. Now at least you can hit F and it does something.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah in terms of the game running smooth and everything, Wildstar's always been okay on my machine. I just figure I lucked out, cause I know AMD systems and cards shat the bed with it during beta and at launch; I only ever played in the original beta, briefly from a friend invite back at the end of 2014, and then with the free month from Humble Bundle and then the F2P beta to now.

It runs pretty smooth, even in Thayd, on high settings. I don't know how the Dominion town runs but I remember Thayd being the showstopper because of all the bullshit they have there.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

They shrunk the raid size? I thought 40 man raids were the selling point for the game.

Yeah, it was; they thought the market of people who wanted those kinds of raids was much larger than it actually was, I guess. :v: They didn't realize most players who now dedicate themselves to MMOs have jobs, families, and other poo poo beyond logging in and raiding for 8 straight hours on Saturday and Sunday.

It's good that they're at least realizing who their market actually is. Now they just need to release more cosmetic poo poo because F2P people love fuckin' cosmetic poo poo.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm a big fan of out of context faggots.

Contextual faggots are the best.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Do people think if they hurt the dev feelings they will stop making the game? I don't understand people who give game companies a free pass for no obvious reason.

Some people are unable to distinguish and separate comments about something they like from themselves; they make it a part of their identity and they make it very personal. It's why you get people who will poo poo their pants if you insult or speak critically of poo poo like Firefly or the Packers. It's a weird thing but it's pretty common and what sets them off runs the gamut.

Especially when you have crazy bugs that have lasted this long and all they can do is say 'WELL CODE YOUR OWN loving GAME'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

But if you were a chef you could appreciate the subtle flavor of the rat droppings mixes with a flaky pie crust, and you could properly appreciate it.

This is their actual thinking. You don't have the proper knowledge and understanding to appreciate it and can't critique it for that reason.

Rhymenoserous posted:

fyi if there are any space jam refuges/exile side goons on the pve server I have a guild I can get you into. It's not a "Goon Guild" because I doubt we'd get anything more than 10ish goons.

But it is a small/growing smallish group that seems fairly knowledgeable and is actively doing content (Dungeons atm).

I think Goon Squad on Entity has about 7 or 8 people? I can't recall, but yeah we have a handful.

Not enough to DO anything yet though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah focus is weird for spellslingers especially, and I realized the reason I always ran out of focus was I was using the spellpower mode with wanton abandon, and each cast under that causes a focus drain which means it takes X amount of focus, and then drains an additional Y over so many seconds.

Since I stopped using that I haven't had as many problems, but I'm also not as far along as you, Rhy; I dunno if that's your problem but it's a good thing to note for people wanting to heal as a slinger. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The biggest issue is that most people I talk too that have good rigs have problems with the games performance. If you have a normal machine, wildstar might just be unplayable despite you more than meeting the requirements to run it. I don't know why my machine struggles with this game while playing modern, actually good looking games on high settings fine.

I can't imagine how this thing runs on a normal computer that most of your playerbase is going to actually have.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm running an AMD A8 with 8 GB of RAM and I think some kind of Radeon (I have no loving clue anymore and I'm at work and can't check) and I haven't run into any issues. It's the same rig I had when the game was in beta and when it launched, and I've never seen issues. I'm just incredibly lucky and fell into the right hole where poo poo is actually optimized, I guess.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
At least we're not attracting the FF14 defense squad. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

LOOKIN' GOOD CUPCAKE

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Loose Ifer posted:

It's instant now.

I had to suffer through my taxi rides. Luckily if I pull out my headset all other sound except Wildstar goes to my speakers so I can just not have it play.

You can fast travel now but it's loving expensive compared to the taxis. How do you make them instant beyond fast traveling from the world map?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Xolve posted:

Well- the 'tab target, push buttons' combat system is lightyears ahead of EQ1 which was literally 'press 1 and wait to see what falls over first, you or npc'.

Slow progress, but still progress.

Unless you were one of the SUPREME CASTERS like the necromancer, where you just threw every dot and fear you had on the enemy ate a sandwich while it ran away at a crawl with your skeleton stabbing it in the kidneys. Diminishing returns on crowd control? What's that? :downs:

Or the bard, where you did the same thing but you switched bagpipe music to harm every enemy around you and playing the Sonic the Hedgehog theme on a ukulele to run faster.

I think only the warrior and maybe the rogue sat there and hoped auto-attack and procs killed the enemy. Everyone else had poo poo to do.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Seriously, every typical EQ MMO is literally a really loving bad RPG with a chat client.

This is true. I have friends who play WoW just for the roleplay; they don't raid or do anything other than just log in to pretend to be elf nobility and poo poo. They spend fifteen dollars a month to use a graphical chat client.

Some days I wonder how they would have reacted to MUSHes and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asimo posted:

Speaking as an old nerd, I have no idea how these kids manage to tolerate MMO RP. Probably just don't know any better.

I'm in the same boat, though I did do WoW RP for a time. But most of the people I did it with were more into it than I was. Like another guy mentioned, they come up with stuff their characters are doing while they're offline, have full hobbies and poo poo for them, that kind of thing. I remember doing that kinda poo poo on MUDs but with WoW everything is so.. I dunno. I had a blast doing it in EverQuest but for the most part you could DO that kinda thing in EQ, cause if you said your dude was a baker, you could drop an oven on the ground and make a loving pie right there in front of someone.

I just don't get MMO roleplaying anymore. Seeing it in SWTOR was kinda funny, though.

Luckily I've never seen the 'YOU ARE ON MY IGNORE LIST FOR RAIDING' poo poo, though I did have roleplayers who would show up in PvP gear to do Karazhan back when I was the caster lead in a guild back during TBC; I'd left a progressing raid group because of some drama after the raid leader up and vanished. A mage was still upset paladins could DPS and was angry I kept beating him on the damage meters, and when a mace dropped in Serpentshrine and I was the only one who wanted it and could use it, the mage gave it to one of his buddies (who wanted me to have it.) Moved to a warlock, got into a fledgling raiding guild, and there were so many roleplayers who were like 'but this is what I wanna look like' that had to learn they needed a set to wear that wasn't absolute poo poo when they came to dungeons because I wasn't gonna carry their asses.

That group went on to clear Hyjal with me. I was a proud motherfucker for that.

• Locked thread