Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're also doing a free beta this coming Monday to Wednesday that you had to sign up for. I just got a key today, but I have no idea if they're still giving them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope one of the enemies is a Doom Wheel. :getin: but with rats.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess the beta's started. And I won't be home for hours...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just beat the first mission with pubbies, second try. The first time it was just me and the dwarf left (and tbh I don't even know where he'd hosed off to while my buddies were getting killed); I blew open the gate ran through it—and immediately got grabbed by a packmaster and straight up [i]lynched[/]. Dwarf fella finally shows his beard 'round the corner and is swiftly garroted.

Fun game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

President Ark posted:

So how long are missions in this, and - related - is there any kind of respawning mechanic? I don't look forward to playing this with pubbies if missions are 15+ minutes long and there's no way to get back people who bumblefuck their way off by themselves and then get stabbed in the kidneys 2 minutes into a mission die early.

Basically there's a bleedout system, during which time you can be rescued but also attacked by the rats to kill you dead-dead, but you can still be resuscitated at specific points in the map, though I'm not sure whether you'll spawn at full health.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The one thing this game could use is KF2-like dismemberment. :unsmigghh:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Brackhar posted:

So Nightmare has friendly fire. I have no idea how to play a bright wizard with friendly fire on.

Roleplay the character by not giving a gently caress about whether or not you immolate your compatriots "accidently."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, this beta's made me way more excited for the game and a $30 launch tag seems more than fair.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder if the next beta will have more/different levels.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess the most likely character additions would be a warrior priest and some other type of wizard, right? What about other non-human races? Are elves and dwarves the only ones likely to lend a hand during the ratpocalypse?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pimpmust posted:

I keep saying Snatcher for the Pack Master, Hooker Rat is a coming DLC special enemy (:gonk:)

Speaking of enemies, my wishlist!
Clan Skryre representin'
Warpfire-Thrower: Napalm flamethrower dudes with a lasting DoT effect. Big explodey backpack, lots of lightSFX and noise - short-ranged. A deadlier but more fragile Rattling-gunner. Lieks popping up in confined areas.
Warplock Jezzails: Snipers, Warpstone bullets. Very fragile, but likes scampering along roof-tops to snipe at you. Inaccurate first couple of shots with some tell-tale soundeffects, but will start hitting (and hard) after 1-2 shots. Fourth is a headshot for loads of damage. Take cover/Snipe back!
Doomwheel: More like a Rat Ogre counterpart. Big rear end wheel of poo poo coming your way. Big rear end resilient wheel that can crush you, surprisingly fast, and it shoots lightning too. Soft squishy crew inside that can be shot from the sides though.

Clan Pestilen:
Plague Monks: Stormvermin replacement, screams curses at you, goes into frenzy and are pretty drat tough. Melee DoTs. Maybe some sort of interesting curse system where you get hit for the rest of the level by some sort of random limitation? Not armored like Stormvermin, but more of them to make up for it (also attacks faster).
Plague Censer-Bearers: Can back up Plague Monks (randomly sprinkled inside). Wields giant spike-balls of warpstone and poison. Sorta like the gloabadier but for close combat (i.e DoT cloud, hits hard). Fanatical.

Clan Moulder:
Already got most of their signature guys in, but more Rat Ogre variants to spice things up, along with actual Rat swarms and Giant Rats. Can tie people down and swarm them (sorta like assassin, but less pouncy and more "wave of rats coming at you", weak to AoE.

Clan Eshin:
Night Runners: Weaker variants of the Gutter Runner, but without the glowing swords and always come in small packs? Might back up the occasional Gutter Runner. Hits like a Stormvermin, but dies like a slightly beefier Clanrat.

And of course:
Screaming Bell: gently caress this horn thing to summon Skaven Swarms. This bell tolls for thee. Probably an event fight at the end of a level, summons swarms of dudes, rolls around a big plaza. Does wonky effects.

There's also art for the game featuring a Grey Seer, and I think they've already said there are more specials not featured in the beta.

Anyway, I just grabbed this game for $20 (USD :argh:) from GMG using the code GMGMID-SEASON-25PERC so anyone wanting to save a few $ might want to pick it up from there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How does shield-bash aggro work exactly? Does it only affect rats that get hit or is it in an area?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hypha posted:

I was under the impression that the closed beta had a different set of maps. I would not mind if supply and demand was replaced. I really don't mind either way, just thought there was more to see yet, like a forest level or something. Snark is not necessary here, it is enough that this game is good and doing well.

To be fair to the devs, while 13 is a decent number of maps, it's not a gigantic one and they've already let people play five of them before release. They might end up shuffling the Screaming Bell and the forest ones back in later on in the week, though.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 19, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

(because GW literally thinks their target market isn't gamers, but model collectors who buy them for the sake of looking at them)

Which is funny, because most of the models I've seen are dull and generic as gently caress. I mean even Space Marines have that whole Gothic/Roman/Crusader look going for them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, there's nothing stopping you from playing the old game, right? Or has GW actually pulled all of those rulebooks from store shelves?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
loving :lol:

Welp, maybe AOS will continue to sell like poo poo and they'll just retcon the whole thing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From the thread:

quote:

We are still discussing how to approach DLCs. We will have both free and paid DLCs but we are going to start off by a free one for sure. We will add a lot of different things in DLCs. Maps, enemies, weapons and so forth....More Skavens yes, as well as other races.

e:fb

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pimpmust posted:

Only concern for Vermintide dlc is that the dev is pretty tiny, so the content stream might be slow. Seems like they want to kick things off with a free DLC though, so we'll see.

I dunno, 50 people isn't that small and they can always bring on contractors.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone figured out if the Exotics are the same as Uniques in other games, i.e. a weapon that will always have the same types of bonuses?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BombiTheZombie posted:

Nope, they are simply stronger weapons with a few unique traits that can be rolled onto it. 15% attack speed and increased push strength are some that ive seen.

Well, hopefully they're something that can be added post-launch. I'd really like to see some gear that emphasizes certain playstyles, maybe throw in some penalties for them as well. Like, gimme a bloodstealing shortbow that heals on every hit but drains the user when not actively killing stuff. :getin:

E: full disclosure, that's really just cause I'd like to see elf players run off and get swarmed on their own again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I am guilty of this. D-does this mean the worst pubbie was inside me this entire time? :ohdear:

Look deep in your heart. There is a little pubbie in all of us.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Isn't the endgame for 40k straight up "A REAL hive fleet, instead of just tendrils, arrives, Tryanids win, devour all life in the galaxy, gg."

Man, loving every race except, like, the Tau has its own apocalypse scenario in 40k. Chaos gets its poo poo together, Orks unite for the ultimate WAAAAAGH, the Emprah is reborn, etc, etc.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sex Robot posted:

Despite the failings of this game people are going to play the poo poo out of it because it has one thing left4dead doesn't.

You've played the poo poo out of left4dead.

I've played about two collective hours of Left4Dead 1 & 2 and plan to put waaaaay more than that into Vermintide on account of it's a lot of fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Keep in mind that weapon balance is almost certain to change, so I'd suggest hanging on to something if it's got good modifiers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why will nobody think of the poor pubbie? :cry:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Was just in a public group on hard horn of magnus that made me be a loving sacrifice AGAIN except this time I was kruber with my new green mace and shield and I just lasted by myself with 1/3 of my max health the whole 5 minutes while they hid under the event like babies, all 10-30 levels higher than me. Someday I'll find a group that will actually play the loving game.

Admittedly I was very lucky that no specials came after me.

Me and a buddy were playing our first Nightmare on Horn, with pubbies, three tomes, one grimoire. It was all good until we reached the end and they start talking about who should be the sacrifice in chat. I say "gently caress that" in Skype and jump down, and my friend follows suit, forcing them to all to actually fight the swarm or risk losing those precious books. I plant myself on the stairs and get yelled at to hang back on the beam. The joke of it is that the elevator arrives and I jump directly into it from that balcony while the pubs get tarpitted trying to go after a tome my friend dropped when he died seconds before. They go down, so does the elevator, and I make one mad dash to the carriage, alone.

I dunno, I think I got a green or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Metrohunter posted:

buff the blunderbuss tbh

Buff all the underpowered weapons rather than nerfing the good ones. But also buff the rogre:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dunno, it's p cool that this thread has its own Taint Reaper.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Snatch Dusted again!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Seriously, it was never even in EA. It had a couple of actual, sign-up required beta tests and a sort of week long pre-order pre-release but that's it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hadn't realized there were actually pictures for the DLC weapons. Special mentions go to the Dwarf's shield and great axe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The dorf's over-under seems popular enough, though. Is it just the extra shot people like or does it actually do more damage, or have more range, or whatever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm glad these red weapons don't all look like they're necessarily the best in class though. If they were all objectively better than oranges, then because they have guaranteed effects everyone would just be running around with the exact same weapons eventually. Although good luck getting one by playing on cataclysm and rolling a 7. Hell I've played for 60 hours and I've still never rolled a 7.

Do red items have the same damage increase over the tier below that all other items have?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

xthetenth posted:

Half of steam forever and ever
I want years of support and content for free because I don't understand people need money to eat and I'm a whiny loving pissbaby.

Don't sign my posts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kitchner posted:

I heard if you are a console player you are forced to play as the Elf whenever you're playing with PC players.

My uncle works at Nintendo, can confirm. Oh yeah and it'll be a Wii-U exclusive, also. The gamepad is reserved for yelling insults.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I play this game exclusively with a single group of friends, so $3 for something we can mapshare sounds more than reasonable. Gonna try the free map first of course to decide if we like the mode.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, you only get ore from LS?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

averox posted:

Wait I'm a little confused. Is The Fall just a last stand map and by default there is another last stand map included in the base update to the game for free?

Yes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Launch loot was the main rust but now that we have the shrine and the upcoming DLC loot is more less-bad than ever.

Speaking of, I hope the next, big DLC will include some new weapon types. I'm not sure what they would be, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What about Kruber?! :argh:

• Locked thread