Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like for a couple of contestants, that rule shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Indeed. For those not aware, the other two who moved on and are facing each other are Ra'akshi and the Jolly King. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Fei and Tanri, but for those two, it's going to be violent I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

i like that everyone was being so gentle and nice that abbadon had to lean down over his tablet and snarl "kill"

To be fair, the last round he made it so they couldn't fight; a few of those entries, at least, probably would have been quite different otherwise.

Also, amusingly enough, neither Fei nor Tanri have been killed in opponent submissions, if I'm remembering correctly, and Tanri's never even been significantly hurt, so regardless of who wins this will be the first round for both of them where an entry sees them dead.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure both Ra'akshi and Jolly King have been killed at least twice, each. It just hasn't stuck, though obviously that's going to change now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, there's been plenty of death of contestants, with some rounds even seeing both submissions killing off their opponents. People have the last round, which didn't allow fighting, as representative of the whole tournament in their minds.

Death hasn't been the default result, but it's been common enough. Round 1 was light on it, but the rounds 2 and 3 had a good bit more.

This round is just an inversion of the last one, basically. Also, yeah, like the above post mentions, heroic characters tend to not kill as much, and two of the four who made it this far are "good guys".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 2, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a reference from Tanri's first comic, what she beat Mikal with. (Though, yes, I know what that was a reference to.)

Also, that's amazing 3.

By the way, I lost track; did skwid's comic get posted here yet? The Jolly King's round 6, part one.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 16, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhaka posted:

89 Furious Comet Repairs the World

Dinosaurs were God's mistake.

Which god's? Humans were Aesma's mistake, so not her.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rannum posted:

abbadon will own himself once more and forever by having white chain's new body have like 60 intricate details that will be lovingly rendered in every page she's on

White Chain's next body will be covered in actual chains.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure losing one's wings is part of becoming a Thorn, since none of the others we saw had them either, and Metatron has all those feathers protruding from his cracks/wounds.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Ted posted:

If you never stop to inhale, the coronavirus can't get breathed in *taps forehead, accidentally ki rata's my head off*

This is why you learn Head of John.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Solomon gave a rules reason for Vigilant Gaze being disqualified while Cio is just "not a valid entrant" means that VG might have actually for-real entered the tournament, rather than just crashing the party to see White Chain. Coughing, dust-filled VG filled out the paperwork and made his way through the whole tournament to get to this point.

It admittedly makes sense that an angel would actually follow all the rules and all, but still, that's a funny mental image.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like seriously look at how all the other Demiurges have tried to mold Allison or the Heir. Solomon David, Mottom, Incubus. They all know they’re stuck in a rut but the only way they can conceive of the true king is “like me but even moreso so that they somehow don’t get stuck in my rut”

Zoss is the only one to say “stop doing the poo poo we did”

Gog literally tried to make Allison into more of her, meanwhile.

Rhaka posted:

The Very Wise Frog puts his money where his mouth is, unlike Meti and Zoss.

Meti died to teach Maya a lesson and Zoss exposed himself and died while passing the master key on to Allison. That he gave her the key at all also seems to imply that he expects her to use it in some form, like when he more or less encouraged her to obliterate Mottom's husband.

Also, re: Zoss, smugness, etc:

“The old bugger always tried to dissuade his own worship. Hated the whole idea of divinity, matter of fact. But it didn’t matter. The common people worshiped him. The city guard worshiped him, and so did the priest class. Bleeding hells, the demiurges, princes of the world, held him as their king. I’m sure a few o’ them had a little beardy shrine set up somewhere.

I mean, just look at what the bastard could do.”

Mars Pallatrix, Belligerent knight

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

the last time someone tried giving everyone keys we ended up with the current situation

That wasn't everyone, that was a very limited, specific set of people who set themselves up as rulers/gods over everyone else. Kind of a first-come, first-serve thing if I recall, since the original demiurges were just the people who entered Throne after Zoss smote all the prime angels.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

eke out posted:

Gotta say, that instakill of Juggs' (thorn armor form) is, in retrospect, even more loving wild in light of the current arc that's made it abundantly clear what absolute beasts angels are.

The text below the comics has always emphasized how terrifying angels are. In the comic, though, we previously got very few examples of how fights with angels usually go; there was a lot of angel-vs-angel stuff, but not anywhere near the level of intensity of this fight, as well as Maya cleaving Juggernaut Star in two (wildly unrepresentative, and it also overshadowed how thoroughly Juggs was destroying everyone who wasn't a former demiurge) and White Chain helping beat KILL BOSS (a two-vs-one in favor of the angel, and KILL BOSS left almost immediately after she showed up).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

eke out posted:

Yeah exactly, there was a lot of telling about angels but not a lot of showing, and White Chain is one to typically hold back and only use the minimal amount of force necessary to beat whoever.

Well, there's plenty of showing, it just hasn't been the focus. Like, look at those pages posted above where Maya fucks up Juggs; prior to that moment it's just a complete and utter slaughter, but it's not the big moment from that sequence and is interspersed between or in the background of other panels for the most part.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 15, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

10 Vigilant Gaze's greatest secret is nobody will notice him if he doesn't declare his presence with "HO THERE!"

That's just a general angel trick. This page's alt-text:

"Angels, despite their size and their armored shell being extremely heavy, can move incredibly quietly when they need to. This incredible agility was purportedly granted to them by the god Koss in order to better apprehend evildoers, but angels most often use it to try and not disturb people when walking up and down stairs and on wood floors."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quantum Toast posted:

I wonder which demiurge is best at them.

Besides Gog-Agog, obviously.

Jadis. She knows how to always get the ending she wants, even the secret ones with ridiculous prerequisites.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who What Now posted:

Who is the most Royal JoJo?

j/k we all know it's young Joseph

Jesus.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sadly that video cuts off right before the big moment, Netero stopping his own heart and setting off what's basically a miniature nuke that was installed in his body before the mission, incinerating Meruem as the latter realizes he had lost before the fight had began.

Hunter X Hunter is amazing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I think what Jadis was going to say was probably, "He's coming."

I wonder if she warned the other Demiurges first or went straight to Solomon/ground zero. Though assuming Gog was still broadcasting the news might be out anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red Bones posted:

Isn't her deal that she gained knowledge of everything but it drove her mad? I could see it ending up that she knows how the war is going to turn out, and she's acting based on the knowledge that Jagganoth's plan is terrible.

I mean, she's been telling people what is going to happen this whole time via prophecy. I think her showing up here suggests her brain is a bit fried but she's still a rational actor underneath that.

On this line of thought, she teleported in facing not towards Solomon or even Allison, but where Jagganoth was going to arrive; for obvious reasons she can't turn herself without using more magic, meaning that since she arrived she's been in the same place, and in the latter half of this update she's now staring directly at the big guy, beside Solomon. At least on the surface, that suggests that her intention is to oppose Jagganoth alongside Solomon, though she could easily have some other plan here.

As for her thought process underneath everything, it's very hard to say. We know that she wants to die, but hasn't tried to self-destruct or throw herself into oblivion or whatever, and has been a part of the pact against Jagganoth's omnicidal ambitions for whatever reason. Given her omniscience, she presumably also knows what she's going to do before she does it, and the results it'll have, so I could see her being extremely fatalistic; she might well not actually have a plan because she's resigned herself to the future she's already seen, whatever it might be. (This could also be the reason for her general inaction otherwise, even more than her state of imprisonment; she "knows" there's no point to acting and that she's going to sit in that block until she dies, so she's doing just that. It also fits her being Sloth in the loose 7 Deadly Sins thing the demiurges have going on, being extremely powerful and knowing everything but completely surrendering any real thought or agency in favor of letting whatever fate has in store for her happen.)

If that is the case, then she may well be here because she knows that this is where she's finally going to die and is meeting it directly. Could also be part of why she showed up in time to warn Solomon and perhaps get Allison and co's attention a bit earlier so she had time to shield her friends (since she definitely knows the part in this they're going to play), but not soon enough for anything else to be done or anyone else to be saved.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This makes me realize, rather than any of the gloomier interpretations I gave before, Jadis is probably here right now simply because of the Pact; Jagganoth is breaking it by finally attacking one of the other demiurges, so she's upholding her end of it and showed up the moment (or right before) he arrived, without any of the loophole abuse, procrastination, or holding back/sending her minions in her place one might expect from the other demiurges. Jagganoth is attacking Solomon, and they all have an agreement to work together and strike down any demiurge who attacks one of the others, and since she knows that it's happening (because she knows everything), now she's there to help Solomon kill Jagganoth or die trying. Simple as that.

Would also explain Solomon almost immediately understanding what her arrival meant; Jadis is only going to move for something serious, so her teleporting right to the center of his territory unannounced during a very public event, not even facing him (and thus presumably not there to fight him), can only mean one thing: The Pact is being invoked. And, as Solomon realized between panels five and six of the last update, if Jadis is here specifically, given that there's only one person who'd actually attack him, well...

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 28, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As funny as that is, Jadis joined in on dunking on him with her, "stolen throne, wicked ways," accusation at their last meeting, so unless she was just poo poo-stirring Incubus did do something notably different/worse than the others.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mottom murdered her husband in his sleep, meanwhile, and the others aren't judging her the way Incubus is judged. As far as I can tell, what matters to them is that you took your key, one way or another, rather than it having just fallen into your hands basically.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThaumPenguin posted:

Jadis will survive purely because we haven't been introduced to her properly.

Also she's a teleporter encased in a massive block and who knows the future, and thus all attacks will either fail to harm her or miss entirely. She may want to die, but she seems to be taking things seriously here so she's probably not going to let herself be offed that easily.

Mammon might be in trouble though; he's a big target and Jagganoth is scary. 000001 is also probably hosed if she makes an appearance, though if she doesn't and Mammon does fall here she's probably going to show up at least once more before the comic ends so she can attempt to get revenge, either directly or through aiding Allison.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

drat, if Dave's already up for a round 2 this quick (and with this kind of speed) it kinda makes me feel like he might've thrown the fight with WC.

The fight was until WC died or surrendered, or she drew his blood. Technically she didn't succeed at the latter, but she did punch him in the face and that was as good as winning as it would have make Solomon look extremely petty in front of his people to go, "Well technically," and/or just kill her after that display.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, she's supposed to be his trump card, so not getting her out of the way before she ends up as collateral damage would be a very bad move on his part.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How dare you, Incubus could easily destroy Spider-Man. That teenager wouldn't stand a chance.

-Incubus, probably.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best part is that Jadis, being omniscient, doesn't even have an excuse. She meant to do that, or at least decided it was an acceptable side-effect of her actions.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wiegieman posted:

Solomon thinks he's the leader with the plan, but who else wants to bet that when the War was on it was Jagganoth calling the shots? He is The Mind, after all.

It's been confirmed that Jadis is in fact the Mind and Jagganoth is the Blade, right? I thought there was an official statement on that a while back.

Anyway, so far Jadis's plan seems to have been keeping the others from dying and setting Gog up for a bit, and between that and being the first to show up she's actually demonstrated far more ability for teamwork than all the others put together.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

eke out posted:

yeah given that Jaggs was like "hey so u wanna give me that Key of Kings? no? okay well back to my war then" it doesn't seem like Allison is really much of a motivation for him

she was more a "it'd be nice if she'd save me some time and let me do omnicide instantly, but whatever" thing

Also, if she said yes, several of the other demiurges would have probably gone for her in a panic almost immediately and might have hurt each other, whether accidentally or even intentionally in trying to be the one to actually get the key, or at the least probably would have been distracted enough for him to get a sucker punch in and make things easier. It was probably a ploy on his part, since he saw the opportunity and probably isn't exactly concerned with making this a super honorable fight or whatever.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Potato Salad posted:

can Gog learn ki rata

Pigbuster posted:

She tries to do a one-finger one-point technique and just explodes

Each individual worm in one of her punches will become capable of a one-point strike, and while they will all be destroyed by the backlash, the destructive power will be unfathomable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jagganoth nuked a city and then blew up another part of it, killing hundreds if not thousands or more in a matter of seconds. His response when called on it was "they're better off dead anyway".

These are not the words nor actions of a good guy, even if his goal is only killing Metatron and not destroying everything the way others have said. These are, in fact, bad things to say and do.