Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

Haha the Nightfury recipe is insane. If you want something unique and have a ton of cash, here ya go http://dulfy.net/2015/10/28/gw2-nightfury-halloween-shoulders-recipe/

I already got an unopened endless brew bottle and a tattered bat wing from bags. Now to consider selling them as the price spikes or building the shoulders myself...

vvv :stare: Do I want to be a spooky princess or do I want cash monies...?

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

xZAOx posted:

Any suggestions for gathering trick or treat bags? Preferably something that is fun and not some dumb farming technique.

You can get between 5-10 per Clock Tower run if you grab all the chests when they respawn and you get to the top each time. Takes about a minute or two per run.
You get around 12-15 per Ascent of Madness run too, plus a chance for unique materials. That's about 5 minutes per run.
The best way is also the most boring/grindy, which is joining a Labyrinth train and doing doors. You'll get a bag every couple of enemies, and they'll be dying fast with a sizeable train. Plus you can get the large bags from the bosses too.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Well, I guess that explains why asscended gear will be required.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's literally nothing about the raid that requires highly specialized roles

Yes but does it require ~*~ASCENDED ARMOR~*~?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're all the worst.

Happy anniversary! :downs:

e: Hello, person trolling through my posts in the thread! This was the last post made in the thread before I started working at Arenanet! Just thought I'd let you know.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 15, 2016

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hey thread, we have an AMA going live on Reddit RIGHT NOW. We're trying to be more transparent, so check it out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Tivac posted:

That said, Mo seems real into being more transparent. That wasn't always true, so hopefully it sticks around and lets folks stop feeling so burned/ignored.

For sure. He mentioned he wants this to be a semi-regular thing and I really hope we keep doing it!

(Also hi Tivac I'm the new tools idiot that sits right behind you o/)

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

If people are interested, I'm planning on doing a teaching raid on Sunday at 6pm PST to teach people Spirit Vale. Only hard requirement I have is that people wear low/zero Toughness gear if they're not the tank. It's a mechanical necessity. If you don't have a low toughness set of armor, grab some exotic Berserker gear for power DPS, Sinister if you're condi (Viper is ideal but is annoying to get), or Magi's if you're healing.

Sign me up, chief!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

:ducksiren: On account of Daylight Savings Time screwing with reset (and thus GOON guild missions) we'll be bumping back to 7PM PST so we don't conflict with guild missions :ducksiren:
I hope my power comes back on in the next two hours :ohdear:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Welp, power's still out. :sigh:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

shrach posted:

LFG. We're supposed to believe that renaming the tab for "dungeons" to "dungeons and raids" and then having one subcategory for all the dungeons and renaming all the other old dungeon sub categories into raid bosses would be a multi-month job. That's either true or a lie, really not sure which would be better.

Not gonna lie, even before I started working at Anet this has always been a sticking point for me since it shows kind of a fundamental misunderstanding on how software is developed.

Let's say I give you the task to write a program that outputs "Hello, world!". Pretty easy, right? This is usually the first program people will ever write. You can do it in one line of code, in some languages!

Now let's say you're upgrading to Hello World For MMOs, where you send every online player the message:
-It must support being consumed by up to one million players at once.
-Every player must get it at about the same time.
-It can't put any undue stress on the servers. How frequently is it being ran? It might be okay if it's just once a day, but what if it's once every minute? During peak hours? Will you need new hardware to support it?
-It must support non-ASCII characters for players in locales like Germany, France, Mexico/Spain, China, etc.
-Any outward-facing text needs to be professionally translated into German, French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.
-If a player has chat hidden, do we want to unhide chat so they can see it? Do you even send it to them? Do you display it as a UI pop-up instead?
-The packets need to be encrypted so malicious players can't sniff them and learn how to send spoof Hello World packets to other players.
-Everything above needs to be QA tested to hell and back to make sure things don't violently explode when it's made live.

Every above step will have some assumptions made to it, or perhaps some clever engineering to make it run better. Instead of sending "Hello World!" to every player, you can just store that text locally when they patch and just send a message saying "Please display the Hello World text." Hey, cool - instead of sending 8 bytes, you send maybe just one or two! Hey, good job, you improved the bandwidth usage fourfold on your end at a minimal static cost (around 8 bytes) to each player.

Then a few months pass, requirements have changed along with the game, and you learn you need to rework it to send arbitrary messages to players.

Whoops. You can't store arbitrary messages on each player's machine anymore because that would take approximately infinity bytes to store every string ever, and so you'll need to rework the system. That means you have to go through every one of those requirements again to make a new and improved Arbitrary Hello World For MMOs system.

Believe me, I totally understand the sentiment. It's super frustrating as a player to see that the end of the day, nothing significant appears to have changed, but just because the end result looks close to the original doesn't mean there wasn't a significant amount of work on our end to actually make it look and feel like it did with those new features too.

Edit pages later: eh, probably no one is gonna actually come back and read this, but I didn't get that he wanted to keep the functionality the same as it is now - I figured that also implied adding the squad UI. It's not trivial to change strings, I swear! :downs:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 29, 2016

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I'm happy the notes have been relatively well-received, although I do wish we had done something in addition to the notes (discounting SAB, of course). We had a big ol' list of ideas internally and there are more than a few that were hysterical that didn't make the cut. But a few of mine did!

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

A Leeroy Jenkins joke in 2016. That's that patented anet humor we all know and love.

Like this one. :ssh:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 2, 2016

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I don't want to hurt the feelings of whatever anet employee it is that posts in this thread that took credit for that patch note. I get it, humor is subjective and I'm a big stupid sourpuss. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who enjoyed the joke. But even if it's a one off parody of a really old joke it is pretty much the equivalent of if they made a Chuck Norris joke but used the name Rytlock Brimstone instead. It is beyond dated.

Man, I ain't care. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

there was a 1-up sitting in the middle of a bridge and every time she touched it it killed her instantly

no idea but it was funny as hell

There's an insta-kill dart trap in the arch right before it :ssh:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've been asked to share a lore leak for an upcoming Guild Wars 2 storyline: Back during the Lion's Arch Invasion event Scarlet had impregnated Lord Faren, and she'll be returning shortly as her reincarnation, Faren's daughter. Hew new army will be mainly monsters and soldiers from the fractal dungeons.

DELETE THIS

:v:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

^E:f;b

-snip ranger aa-

There's also this:
LA Aerodrome

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 15, 2016

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I know a lot of people are sad about SAB ending soon.

Don't worry. At least a few of my peers are sad too:

Bonus Higgsraid Crew chilling at the top of the Tower of Expensive Frogs:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Happy patch day, thread :buddy:

:toot:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I need to git gud :(

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone paste the patch notes here for work krew tyvm

quote:

WORLD POLISH
Cursed Shore
Fixed a bug that would sometimes stall the Path to Arah meta-event before the Pact could secure Shank Anchorage.
Shored up Warmaster Chan’s scripting at Meddler’s Summit to prevent a blocker at the beginning of the “Get Warmaster Chan to Shank Anchorage before the troops’ morale breaks” event.
Measures were taken to prevent the prototype golem from teleporting during the Path to Arah meta-event.
Fixed a bug that caused Magister Izzmek to stay in Gavbeorn’s Landing instead of starting the assault in the Temple of Melandru meta-event.
Fixed a bug that caused Pilot Ripsky to count twice on the revival counter in the “See the Pact crash survivors safely to Meddler’s Summit” event.
The stall on repeat runs of the “Help Crusader Angaria signal reinforcements for the assault on Arah” event is now fixed.
Dredgehaunt Cliffs
Fixed a bug that caused the “Retrieve containment crystals from the skritt and return them to Scholar Dane” event to get stuck in preparation.
Fixed the markers, unlurks, and event objective text in the “Defeat the stone guardian and its minions” event.
Malchor’s Leap
Fixed a display issue that caused the Bashing Bauxite Alchemicals meta-event information to incorrectly inform players that NPCs were dead.
Tangled Depths
Fixed an issue that caused the Against the Chak Gerent meta-event to award the end chest twice per run.
Removed a nameless effect from the Gravid Battle Beetle in Tangled Depths.

GENERAL
Characters launching to a point using objects like bouncing mushroom or jump pads will now orient to face the direction they’re going.
White wolf pups will now summon other white wolves rather than normal wolves for aid.
Fixed an issue in which the content guide caused periodic frame hitches for some players while in a squad.
Fixed a bug that prevented Ad Infinitum from being added to the Legendary Collector achievement.
Fixed a bug that prevented the Ascension from being added to the Legendary Collector achievement.
The inactivity timer is no longer impacted by autoloot.
Added an option called Disable Player Chatter to the Sound Options tab. Enabling this option will disable all player chatter VO, such as boon and condition gain, mantra and shout lines, reward acquisition commentary, and low-endurance notifications.
New parties are becoming interested in ley-line energy.

GUILDS
Fixed a bug in which mesmer portals allowed players to enter the arena without passing through the various team coordinators. Players attempting to access the arena using portals will be booted out.
Fixed a bug in which players outside the arena saw players within the arena as enemies.
Fixed a bug that prevented the Guild Weaponsmith from selling the Guild Speargun.
Fixed a bug that locked players in the secret room in the Guild Initiative Headquarters.
Fixed a bug that prevented players from interacting with the Assembly Device unless they were standing on top of it.
The Aetherium Production Boost items purchased from Akeetha Stonesunder near guild mines now have descriptions.
Decorations in the Storage tab of the Guild panel now have descriptions.
The Guild Hall Swiftness boon will no longer be applied to players within the arena.

PERSONAL STORY
Hearts and Minds
Changed the way all fights reset to prevent bugs that occur in repeated attempts.
Changed the final phase of Canach’s encounter to guarantee Canach can always give up his shield and Blighted Canach does not remain determined indefinitely.
Blighted Eir now uses a teleport skill to reach Garm to revive him.
All blighted bosses are now immune to life-steal effects while vulnerable to the Reality Rift.
Canach is no longer affected by the Reality Rift when using it against Blighted Canach.
Changed how the final Reality Rift activates to ensure it always activates when ready.
Fixed the timing of Trahearne’s dialog lines in the “A Light in the Darkness” story step to prevent overlapping in some languages.
Removed an incorrect creature description from Inquisitor Dabb in the “Digging Up Answers” story step.

ITEMS
The tool tips of the following items have been updated to correctly indicate the food’s day and night effects:
Can of Spicy Veggie Chili
Fancy Bean Chili
Bowl of Zucchini Chili
Bowl of Spiced Veggie Chili
Bowl of Spicy Veggie Chili
Bowl of Fire Veggie Chili

PROFESSION SKILLS
Warrior
Scorched Earth: Fixed a bug that caused Cleansing Ire to activate more than once.
Head Butt: Fixed a bug that allowed this ability to go on interrupt cooldown after breaking a stun. This ability will now go on full recharge if interrupted.
STRUCTURED PLAYER VS. PLAYER
Added a Free Camera view for spectating in PvP Custom Arenas. The default key binding to enter this mode is Ctrl+Shift+F.
Added a movement delay to the camera when spectators are following players in PvP Custom Arenas.

WORLD VS. WORLD
General
Reduced the nonsiege weapon damage reduction granted by Hardened Gates from 100% to 50%.
Reduced the nonsiege weapon damage reduction granted by Hardened Siege from 75% to 50%.
Updated the Mist War Summons effect to no longer list that it grants bonus experience, since gaining experience is disabled in WvW.
All guild siege-weapon scribe recipes have had their Badge of Tribute cost reduced to 1.
Fixed a bug in the Alpine borderlands that caused the “A shipment of supply has arrived from the Edge of the Mists” event to occur for the incorrect team.
Guild Upgrade Banners: Dragon, Turtle, and Centaur banners can no longer be picked up while players are transformed.
Fixed a bug that caused waypoints or emergency waypoints to be useable by the incorrect team.
Fixed a bug that prevented excess Notarized Scrolls of Heroics from refunding Proofs of Heroics.
Eternal Battlegrounds
Increased the detection range for towers with the Watchtower upgrade.
Alpine Borderlands
The area around the citadel in Alpine borderlands has had the Siege Deployment Blocked area extended so that siege weapons cannot be placed in areas that all players cannot reach.
Siege weapons cannot be built as long as the Siege Deployment Blocked effect is applied.
Northeast Tower: Lowered the detection range of the Watchtower upgrade. This tower’s range was larger than that of the other towers.
Edge of the Mists
The missing Overgrowth team Siege Merchant has found his way back to the airship.
Obsidian Sanctum
The spawn locations for the three teams have been moved farther apart. This was done to reduce kill trading and spawn camping.

BLACK LION TRADING COMPANY GEM STORE
New Items and Promotions
For a limited time, every Black Lion Chest contains an additional Crystallized Magic item. These can be turned in to Priory or Consortium researchers for a reward. Players can choose which.
For a limited time, all super rare Contract items in the Black Lion Chest have three times the chance to drop. Please note: they are still very rare.
The new Electromagnetic Ascender toy is available in the Toys category of the Gem Store for 250 gems.
The Electromagnetic-Descender Glider is available in the Upgrades category of the Gem Store for 400 gems.
Improvements
Players who have an automatic equip effect related to any travel toy will now equip that toy immediately upon landing their glider. Canceling the glider in the air will not activate the travel toy.
All musical instruments have undergone audio rework to improve the latency of audio-sample playback.
Musical instruments that are tempo locked (Musical Frame Drum, and certain modes of the Musical Lute and Musical Bass Guitar) should now have consistent tempo.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

how does this even happen

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Magres posted:

Also wrt greatsword, something that's really nice about it that you'll probably come to love eventually is that the 3 and 5 skills both move you faster than you can actually run, so it's a fantastic weapon for getting around maps.

Pssh, look at this guy who doesn't have sword/warhorn permanently stapled to his secondary weapon set.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

nickhimself posted:

I was really excited to play t4 fractals until I actually got into one. Dying immediately really sucks and I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing as a warrior to avoid the deaths two seconds into a boss fight. The build on metabattle recommends using the berserker heal but that poo poo's so unreliable.

How do warriors stay alive in t4's? I genuinely want some kind of guidance to be better at the class in there. I guess some of it will come down to just dying a whole bunch in each mission as I learn the mechanics of the harder fight alongside their instabilities, but feeling like the sole reason for wipes makes the experience really un-fun

Blood Reckoning should be fine for almost all encounters, except for those that have a lot of sustained damage and few enemies (e.g., Mai Trin and that's basically it), in which case it's up to personal preference if you wanna take Healing Signet or Defiant Stance. Healing Signet's also a solid choice - you lose out on a fair bit of damage, but you gain a ludicrous amount of survivability in almost all situations.

What some people don't realize is while Blood Reckoning does reset your burst skill, it also gives you a 10% damage-dealt-to-healing buff for something like 5 seconds afterward. Berserk-F1-Blood Reckoning-F1-Thousand Blades should be more than enough to take you up to full on a single target, and you don't even need 1k Blades if there are more than one target - just the second burst skill should be plenty to bring you to near-full.

You should also be more concerned with staying alive rather than trying to play ~*~*~OPTIMALLY~*~*~, because as we all know your DPS is 0 when you're dead anyway and it's not like there are enrage timers in fractals. This can mean things like swapping out your offset for a longbow or even running a shoutbow build in fights where your melee DPS uptime isn't going to be great anyway (e.g., Bloomhunger, Mai Trin, Jade Maw, final boss of Chaos).

tl;dr: Blood Reckoning is probably fine, take Healing Signet if you don't think it is, don't worry about dumb crap like maintaining Stick and Move uptime and focus on staying alive, even if that means swapping your greatsword for a longbow.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I just got back from dinner with Magres.

Poutine pics incoming.

vvv jeez at least timg our dumb faces :colbert:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 5, 2016

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

:(

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

dad on the rag posted:

Bank tabs, character slots, and 1%er passes on sale. I plan to join the Trump club so which is the best pass?

Hot Take: I like the Noble's Folly pass because unlike the other ones it's in its own instance so it loads super fast.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Reddit is constantly frothing at the mouth about ~*~*~RAIDS STORY~*~*~ but there's almost literally no actual story content. The closest thing there is is the Xera/Lazarus Wing 3 stuff, and even then, literally everything is explained as a part of Season 3 Episode 1.

Raid if you want to raid. There's no story of relevance.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Two of my jokes made it into the patch notes. I'm quite pleased with myself.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I'm embarrassingly terrible at the Fashion Wars meta :(

Flame Legion wannabe Charr elementalist.

White Human Female Meta Pirate Thief

Bonus Guardian in my comedy "C'mon, try to kill me for that one achievement" nomads WvW armor

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 31, 2017

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Also, oakheart's reach (a mastery you can unlock with ep 5) is incredible. It's basically a batman style grapple that will attach to any surface within 2000 yards or so. Only works so far in the ep 5 map, but totally worth the effort.

And the guild hall! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

They look instant in the videos so far, but even if there was a delay it would be worth it, look how cool they look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoDp6rK9V0

Yep, mounting is instant, which also makes it quite easy to swap to another mount as well, just like changing your skills.

Also, :siren: SHILL WARS 2 ALERT :siren:
Please buy the expansion, I like eating.
:siren: END SHILL WARS 2 ALERT :siren:

• Locked thread