Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17duGlHEYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

So I haven't read the last ten pages because I've been playing. I really like this expansion, sorry if this post opens up some cans of worms.

I really like the masteries, and I've found that they level pretty quickly as I run alts through the jungle to grab skill points. I've never had to wait around very long for pubbies to show up at skill points, and if I wait longer than a couple minutes I toss a party invite in map chat and get people to help out quickly enough. I've also been doing various events and killing things for bladed armor skins and I find that my masteries level up pretty fast if I'm just not looking at the bar. Between those and the daily adventures, I'm getting quite a few HoT masteries. Some are pretty high cost, and I wouldn't find an xp decrease on masteries out of the question in the future.

Navigation is rad. At first the new maps were horrendously confusing, but I've gotten really good at getting around as I familiarize myself with all the little tricks. These maps definitely reward non-lateral thinking in a lot of places, while being wonderfully hand holdy about stacks of updrafts in other places. Updrafts and gliding mushrooms are great, nuhoch burrows really shine in Tangled Depths. You can skip a LOT of running around if you have burrows unlocked. Also climbing the big tree and grabbing a poi, a hero point, a mastery point, and a vista by flying around in the valley below the tree was really satisfying.

I really like jumping, and there have been LOTS of reward chests hidden in random places which has made my urge to jump around exploring really rewarding. I love using the new tools that masteries offer to get places. Some tools, like burrows, are less interesting just due to how scripted they are, but updrafts are really versatile and I find lots of pretty things.

I haven't really done much with central tyria masteries. I did CoF farm for maybe thirty minutes before getting super bored of it, and now I'm just planning on leveling them as I play. It'll be something to look forward to.

All my builds are a bit more defensive in the jungle. My main characters so far have been warrior and ranger. Warrior is using mace/shield with great success, and my ranger is using longbow/greatsword, which is a set with enough utility to be awesome. Also using my panther to aggro things is great, especially because the panther's F2 ability stealths it and prompts the enemy to retarget on me, which immediately gives the panther sweet, sweet damage reduction. I felt really accomplished by soloing a group of four of those loving rear end in a top hat dagger/dagger shortbow hylek with the stuns and ridiculously powerful poison pool attack. At first I died a lot, now I don't, and I feel really good about how I've gotten better at the jungle!

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Also one more thing: gently caress rolling devils, but they have a really weak break bar so if you cc them they're cake. Otherwise they roll on you nonstop and kill you in seconds.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Goon Squad Guild Hall Capture: So Nice We're Doing it Twice

Once we spread out, that was cake.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Tangled Depths is a lot easier when you realize the entire map is just a five pointed start with a center point. Also nuhoch burrows help a ton.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Mercurius posted:

As a PSA, once you've finished Torn from the Sky (first story step in Verdant Brink) on one character, you can subsequently do the prologue up to the point where you start Torn from the Sky (when you zone into Verdant Brink) and then jump off a cliff and choose 'Exit to Verdant Brink' after you die. This dumps you out at the entrance to Verdant Brink ready to run around Magus Falls.

Alternatively you don't even have to do the Torn from the Sky step if you don't want. You're able to run directly from the SW to VB without doing the prologue.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Mercurius posted:

You see all those bigass ley line flows in the background of your image? You can glide on those with the mastery, it owns.

Floating around that chamber with ley lines is completely rad. It feels a lot like being a hawk soaring on thermals or something.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

^^^^ Fire trait only applies to fire auras, but you can use runes of radiance for longer duration of all auras ^^^^

Light (still the same)

Shocking

Frost

Fire

Magnetic

These look like the Morrowind shield spell effects.

Tiny fireballs, tiny orbital strikes, weak sauce auras, and buffed legendary effects? CONSISTENCY.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

So I've sunk a tremendous amount of money into the GOON guild hall of late and the game rewarded me today!

Also I found this in my screenshot folder from the week of HoT release, when I first broke out of Dragon's Stand and found a crevasse with cool lighting.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

So in case you were thinking of levelling scribing, here are some tips:
*Run a crafting booster and an item booster for a guaranteed chance at critical crafting success, which will lower costs significantly. Your old enchanted reward boosts will give you crafting boost time if you have them. If you don't, you'll have to wait until your server has gotten as much critical crafting bonus as you can hope for and use the guild crafting boost from the tavern to pump your chance as high as you can.
*When you aren't refining materials for the occasional 25 ranks, make backpacks. They give some of the most money for some of the least cost. The 375-400 range was done for me with making 8 exotic scribing packs, which are of course account bound. Despite being least cost, this chunk of xp cost me about 800g worth of mats; thankfully, I had most of that stored beforehand!

Also, get used to clicking a LOT of buttons. Each piece of furniture you can craft at 400 such as the rad as poo poo gramophone that now sits in the GOON guild hall will require a grandmaster finishing kit. I have attached a stitched together image from GW2Efficiency that illustrates what it would take to use buy orders to make a SINGLE kit from scratch. TL;DR: it's about 100g of mats and a fuckton of crafting steps and different materials to acquire, all of which together will allow you to make a single cushion or something.

FInally, if anyone wants furniture/sigils or runes made, I can take requests and make them at cost. If you're feeling generous/obligated to make some form of payment, send a few resonating slivers my way because I will never not need them for decorating. I'm mostly done with the Uzolan's Mechanical Orchestra decoration as well, but that one requires a gift of music from CM to make, so I won't be able to just poo poo those out with provided materials. Mail 'Vagrant Justice' with a description of what you'd like and money/mats attached. Use https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator to figure out costs! For example, I can craft and thus save you about 7g on the the Superior Sigil of Transference that increases your outgoing healing effectiveness.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 6, 2015

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Piles of snow were underwhelming at first, but they make great staircases!

Unfortunately, while they make awesome spiral stairs, they hit a decoration limit pretty fast if you build too compactly.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I finished my first ever legendary!

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Visidan posted:

Does it make any music cause i'm almost 400 scribe (decoration 3 and wub wub schematics makes it so much cheaper)

It does! The music carries a lot further than the gramophone as well.

It also poops out confetti and the accordion lurches in a really funny way, so it's well worth it.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, I have my bee back, but also still the blue Wintersday cloud.

Good try guys!

Now you look like an underdressed beekeeper.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Beaten.

I do wonder how they got around the placement limit for objects in the same area! I was finding that I couldn't build cloud bridges over the guild garden at spawn, so I thought the placement limit wasn't affected by vertical distance. Looks like I was wrong!

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

....are you trolling now? I don't have the loving energy for this anymore just read the last like 120 pages of this thread, or go check reddit, or basicaly anywhere, if you're confused as to why this expansion "sucks".

I've enjoyed the expansion so far, though there are plenty of things I don't like about it.

I don't post positive things in this thread any more because it's a circlejerk of negativity.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

ItBurns posted:

To elaborate on what others said, HoT is good and fun if you don't get bent out of shape about the metas or grinding because that's not the correct way to have fun. I've maxed out masteries and haven't done anything remotely grindy outside of afking for currency. The collections are neat and I'm still playing through some of the new specs to get a good handle on what works and what doesn't in different situations. It's a ton of content for $50, which is less than what some people in this thread have spent on pre-alpha steam games and spaceship jpegs.

The jumping puzzle in the goon GH is also super cool. Congrats to whoever put it together.

Thanks for the compliments on the jumping! I didn't make it to be difficult, but goons still keep falling off of it. It took several hours on a Saturday morning to make, I had to place and remove four decorations for each one that I left to get the spacing right!

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

mike12345 posted:

seriously? so if I show up in my ghetto gear, I just get kicked?

Note that ascended armor isn't super important, just the weapon, trinkets, and appropriate food buffs. Armor is an almost negligible contribution to overall survival/damage, but the weapon alone increases your damage by a ton. Not all ascended gear is created equal.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The decoration restriction in the upper area of the Gilded Hollow has been removed.

OKAY FINE I'LL FIX IT

EDIT: Holy crap there's a lot of new stuff to see up in the top of the hall. You can get to the current snow road from the pvp arena by gliding towards spawn, hit that up before I tear it all down and choose a new route this weekend!

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

After buying a few of these, I can see that this is going to be a slog to dump luck.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

A couple hundred spirit shards and a gift of exploration?

Guess I'd better start making legendaries.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I got a 'Shard of Duskk' in SAB while doing tribulation mode.

It changes the music to this:

https://itstartsatdusk.bandcamp.com/album/hardcore-adventure-box-world-1

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Hasaple posted:

Be careful out there, everyone.

I wonder how long this guy was doing this. I saw him doing the same thing to Pickelhaube yesterday, followed shortly by pursuing other charr around the SAB hub.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

You should cancel the hero point train and spend those two hours getting properly groomed for your anniversary, you goon.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Also if you're in either of the goon guilds, you should hit up the guild hall tavern and get the bonus experience buff. It adds a flat ten percent increase to all experience from all sources, which is a significant boost to how fast you level.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

This made me feel really anxious.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Gem Store updates so far today:

-Unbreakable Gathering Tools (basically exact same as normal Pickaxe/Axe/Sickle, just infinite use - no special animation or effect)
2400 Gems for the full set (totals to 200 gems cheaper per tool than buying actual cool gathering tools separately)

-Black Lion Keys & Scraps Package (10 BL keys and 2 Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps
900 Gems (Same price as buying 10 keys only you get TWO SCRAPS TOO!!)

-Shared inventory slot limit upgraded to 13 (14 with the free one from the Lv80 Booster)
700 Gems each

:geno:

The shared inventory slots are absolutely a moneymaker if my own experience is any indicator.Also the upping of the limit by three while simultaneously selling a pack of three tools is absolutely purposeful.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Send a whisper to the name in-game. If you get a "player is offline" message, the name is taken. If you get a "error: couldn't find that player" pop-up, it's free.

You can also attempt to add the name to your friends list with similar results but without the fear of actually engaging in whispers with a stranger.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

There is another eater, but it eats shards and dragonite. Personally, bloodstone was the ascended mat I had the least of due to using a bag alt, so I'm okay with this.

Also the nodes have a chance to drop rubies, which can be traded in combination with other items you get by being not poo poo at gliding for ascended trinkets with what appear to be stat selectable combos.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love red but dislike ley lines as I cannot glide on them :saddowns:

You'll be fine if you have updrafts. Ley lines do add some convenient shortcuts, but they're not required.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

For those hunting bloodstone beasts that haven't already gotten them, some advice.

1. Beasts spawn during set intervals of time. Go to a map with the beast you're looking for a couple minutes early and you're guaranteed to get it. The rotation is as follows (copied from Dulfy):

Moa/Devourer (1hr)–> Arctodus/Shark (1hr)–> Wyvern (30 min) –> Break (30 min)

If it's near the end of the hour, face downhill (so the beast isn't stuck in terrain) and use your detector. Go to the next thing in the cycle.

2. Beast spawns are not found in one place (with some minor exceptions) so stop bothering with the waypoints in the dulfy guide. Bloodstone beasts spawn in the place of regular mobs of that type when they are killed anywhere in the zone. I triggered both the wyvern and shark this way. The waypoints are decent for getting you to a location where lots of the proper kind of mob will spawn, but it isn't guaranteed that you'll get it by that waypoint.

3. Apparently tonight's update added this: Current Events: Levvi’s Device has been updated to indicate when a legendary bloodstone-crazed creature has recently been killed in the map. Note that you can spawn beasts several times on the same map. I think they're on a ten minute cooldown or something close to that.

4. The beasts are legendary status so they don't die super fast. In most cases you'll have about 5-6 minutes to reach the fight and tag the beast.

5. The stuff you get from the collections isn't incredible, but it's nice to have options. At least one person has done something pretty rad with it.

6. Don't bother hunting arctodus in Gendarran fields. The only place they exist there is the Battle Pit location in the NE part of the map, and the only players that can spawn and fight them are players that haven't done the heart yet. This is great for easily spawning them fast if you haven't done the heart, but not great if you have because you can't even get into the cage to participate in the fight if you don't have aoe that can reach it from outside. This is pretty silly, I agree.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Alternatively if you do wvw at all, get the provisioner item. I put one in one of my shared slots. It can be used anywhere to trade 5 badges of honor for a food or consumable equivalent to the level 70 versions of most major food types. Super veggie pizza for 20% condi duration? ~30 silver. Veggie pizza for 18% condi duration in a can? 5 badges. Seaweed salad with 10% bonus damage while moving? ~60 silver. Canned salad with an 8% bonus to damage while moving? 5 badges. It's nice. Badges are super easy to get, especially if you have the wvw mastery that causes enemies to drop bonus badges. It's not uncommon to get 3-4 badges from kills.

Also, side note, I totally main a guard in t4 fractals. I'll admit to popping the occasional retal, but it's not a huge issue typically, and I find my ability to wreck breakbars, tighten enemy groups, and pump out protection is great. When you have more than one viper necro, the occasional boon thievery really isn't a big deal with all the scepter autochaining going on.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Is this a goon? They state in one of their posts that their raiding guild is BURD.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

If anyone needs scribing done, I have it at 400. Can whisper 'Khongorzul' in game or send me a mail with a request and I'll knock it out for you at cost next time I'm on.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

neongrey posted:

The best punchline comes in the comments with the numbers holding that this guy's experience is statistically insignificant.

Psst, this guy is a goon! AnacondaHL.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 30, 2016

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Lonk posted:

There are now crates in the raid lobby that you can interact with. I've found 3 so far and one splashes water, one explodes and the final one gives off a poisonous cloud thing.
No clue what these are for and they seem new. I've not seen it mentioned yet on reddit.

edit: someone on reddit pointed out Historian Tranton is a completely different guy the 2nd time you visit him for the new cheevo stuff.

2nd guy:

:iiam:

The crates in raid lobby are not new. There was a post shortly after the lobby was introduced. I thought it may have somethign to do with the kingdom of zeal from Crono Trigger, which has an outpost with three books that make water, air, and fire, but nothing seems to have come of it so far.

here it is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4fse2t/aerodrome_secret_boxes/

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Lonk posted:

Finally finished my JP. Christ, never again. That poo poo becomes draining very fast when you're trying to design something for too long.

If Dreggon doesn't get me banned, I'll probably do it myself.

I really don't understand character names like this. Can you please explain the joke? It's hard to express emotion in text, but I'm not angry. It's more like I saw that name and was overcome with a wave of exhaustion.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

It's like Black Lives Matter, but it's Bark Lives Matter. Because he's a tree.

Yeah, but what's the joke?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Lonk posted:

Someone on reddit has collected everything needed to make legendary armor (so far)

Honestly, looking at it like that makes it seem like a lot less than I thought. A lot of those materials are fairly cheap!

• Locked thread